• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Overall, I prefer the taste of La Fin du Monde as it just jumps out at you and it had such a sweet honey/floral fragrant nose to it I almost didn't want to drink it. With that said, Unibroue has got a lifelong fan in me, and it's just too bad this stuff is so expensive, otherwise, I'd be drinking it weekly.
I FINALLY got around to trying La Fin du Monde. It was freaking awesome, but yes very expensive.

I also tried this other beer: Hairy Eyeball Ale. (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/2533)
A friend recommended it to me but I didn't think it was that great.

tearsofash

Anyone try some Irish beers for St Patrick's Day last night?

I had Smithwick's and it was pretty good. I also had Harp and green Yuengling.

ameratsu

Since people here keep saying it's expensive, what does Fin Du Monde sell for in the states? Prices per 355ml or 750ml bottle is fine.

Stalfos

ameratsu said:
Since people here keep saying it's expensive, what does Fin Du Monde sell for in the states? Prices per 355ml or 750ml bottle is fine.
The liquor store near me has it listed at $7.99 for a 750ml bottle or $2.99 for a 12oz bottle.

tokkun

ameratsu said:

If memory serves, it's about $10 for a 4-pack of 330ml bottles at my local grocery store. About $8 for a 750ml.

For reference, Chimay's tripel sells for about double that.

It's not exactly hugely expensive, but there are certainly cheaper craft beers out there. New Belgium's usually sell for $6-7 for a 6-pack.

So in terms of Tripels

New Belgium: $1/bottle
Unibroue: $2.50/bottle
Chimay: $4-5/bottle

ameratsu

Great, thanks. More expensive than here but not too outrageous.

For reference where I live in Canada it's $5.95 per 750ml bottle including tax and deposit. 355ml bottles are $2 each.

Seth C

HiResDes said:
Young's Double Chocolate Stout is god tier...That is all

It's good enough, but eh. Doesn't have as much chocolate taste as I was hoping for. Tasted a lot like a Guinness to be honest. I've only had it in the nitro can though, so perhaps it is better from a bottle or on tap?

elitehebrew said:
kentucky-bourbon-barrel-ale-21354399.jpg

This beer is where its at! My favorite so far of the hundreds i've had the pleasure of trying.

If you like stouts, definitely try Bluegrass Brewing Company's Bourbon Barrel Stout.

tokkun

Seth C said:
It's good enough, but eh. Doesn't have as much chocolate taste as I was hoping for. Tasted a lot like a Guinness to be honest. I've only had it in the nitro can though, so perhaps it is better from a bottle or on tap?

I've had it a couple times from the bottle and never felt like it was particularly remarkable. For the style, I like Lake Louie's Milk Stout better.

So, guys I wanna start drinking beer now that I've got a source of money. I've never really had beer before...which would be a good starting type? I tried Bud Light/Coors Light and didn't like them.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
AlimNassor said:
So, guys I wanna start drinking beer now that I've got a source of money. I've never really had beer before...which would be a good starting type? I tried Bud Light/Coors Light and didn't like them.

Get Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sam Adams Boston Lager and Anchor Porter.

Based on your thoughts on these three beers, I can give you some further advice.

Edit: This assumes you are American. What country do you live in?

Yaboosh said:
Get Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sam Adams Boston Lager and Anchor Porter.

Based on your thoughts on these three beers, I can give you some further advice.

Edit: This assumes you are American. What country do you live in?

America, Houston Texas to be exact.

tokkun

AlimNassor said:

Beginners:
Wheat Beers
Cream Ales
Belgian Whites
Oktoberfests
Irish Stouts
Lambics

Intermediate:
Porters
Sweet Stouts
Dubbels
Tripels
Bocks
IPAs
Brown Ales
Ambers
ESBs
Pumpkin Ales

Advanced:
Imperial Stouts
Imperial IPAs
Barleywine
Sour Ales
Quadruples
Wild Ales

Acid08

Banned
1287203539_751c28f49c.jpg

I really like this stuff, it's my go to whenever I buy beer while grocery shopping or something. Is it seen as an ok beer in the beer community or just generic crap?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Acid08 said:
I really like this stuff, it's my go to whenever I buy beer while grocery shopping or something. Is it seen as an ok beer in the beer community or just generic crap?

Generic crap, but don't let that affect your opinion of it.

If you like that, I recommend trying some Full Sail Session Lager. It comes in the same stubby bottles, but in my opinion is a much better beer.

Picked up a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis after work. Had two bottles and I'm honestly not feeling it. Pretty disappointing to be honest. As a Hefeweisen, with its light citrusy taste and hints of banana, it's sorely lacking next to the similar tasting tripels I've tried. It's just sort of bland tasting. It's initially sweet due to the banana undertones, but that quickly dissipates and you get the bite and bitterness of cloves and it all fades just as quickly as it begins. There's no lasting taste of any sort, it's almost like drinking water. La Fin du Monde and New Belgium's Tripel blow it out of the water. Probably should have just went with the tried and true Torpedo or Left Hand's Milk Stout :l

Yaboosh said:
Seems odd to directly compare tripels and hefeweizens. They have very little in common.
I think it was just this particular hefeweizen that reminded me of the taste of the tripels I compared it against. It had a similar taste to me, other hefeweizens I've had erred more towards a orange/citrus taste. I probably just prefer the taste of tripels to the hefs to be honest as these left very little lasting impression even after two.

Acid08

Banned
Yaboosh said:
Generic crap, but don't let that affect your opinion of it.

If you like that, I recommend trying some Full Sail Session Lager. It comes in the same stubby bottles, but in my opinion is a much better beer.
Thanks! I need to find a place around here that sells this stuff. Any help from Bay Area GAF would be appreciated :)

Went to Sam Adams while in town for PAX last week, along with Viewt and another friend. Their tour is fun, and short. It only has three stops (ingredients, tanks, and tasting). The first part of the tour is great because you get to taste dry malts and smell fresh hops. It gives you an immediate idea of the flavors when you later taste the beer. It was my gateway into wanting to homebrew last year.

The tasting room was good this time. It was a small tour (11:00AM what up!) so we got a good amount of beer. They always give you Boston Lager and the seasonal (Noble Pils right now) and the third is always a mystery. This time it was a Maple Wood Porter that was just tapped that morning. It's an experimental beer and I gotta say it was really good. I'm not typically a fan of porters and stouts (they gotta be just right) and this one was. It had a very slight maple syrup taste (almost couldn't taste it at all), but the smokyness from the maple wood they also used was was delicious. I'm crossing my fingers that it will be released eventually.

_Bro

Banned
Okay you super awesome dude and dudettess, I'm turning 21 and this is an excuse to get people to buy me good beer. I've had some decent stuff (college standards), examples being Fat Tire, some dark Sam Adam's, and a mixed six pack of Dog Fish Head. Pretty much I'm just a classy hipster.

Anyways, since I've got this opportunity to drink awesome stuff for free, what are some suggestions? A friend recommended Sierra Nevada as a "gateway" beer but some girl with a big butt and a dumb face said it was her favorite drink so I'm not sure how I feel about it since she hasn't tainted the name. What's some good stuff to sample that's not going to fill me with regret and give up on life to the point where I'll only drink The Beast.

Taste bud warriors, you are my only hope.

Note: I live in Arizona so if anybody from around here knows of local stuff I should try then suggest it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
_Bro said:
Okay you super awesome dude and dudettess, I'm turning 21 and this is an excuse to get people to buy me good beer. I've had some decent stuff (college standards), examples being Fat Tire, some dark Sam Adam's, and a mixed six pack of Dog Fish Head. Pretty much I'm just a classy hipster.

Anyways, since I've got this opportunity to drink awesome stuff for free, what are some suggestions? A friend recommended Sierra Nevada as a "gateway" beer but some girl with a big butt and a dumb face said it was her favorite drink so I'm not sure how I feel about it since she hasn't tainted the name. What's some good stuff to sample that's not going to fill me with regret and give up on life to the point where I'll only drink The Beast.

Taste bud warriors, you are my only hope.

Note: I live in Arizona so if anybody from around here knows of local stuff I should try then suggest it.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is essentially a perfect beer. No flaws, well balanced, perfect.

It isn't my favorite beer, but I do think it is perfect.

I see that Odell is distributed to Arizona, so I would recommend Odell IPA as a good 21st birthday beer. And also North Coast Old Rasputin as a palate blasting imperial stout introduction to big American craft beer.

UrokeJoe

Yaboosh said:
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is essentially a perfect beer. No flaws, well balanced, perfect.

It was my gateway beer for sure. I will always love it for that.

Yaboosh said:

Damn do I love living in Chico CA. Sierra Nevada everywhere. I prefer Old Chico as my favorite SN beer though.

wetwired

I can finally post in this thread after years of lurking.

How many home brewers are there on here? I'm lazy and just use wort kits though, with the occasionally dry hopped brew. My wife got me a kegerator for my 30th a few years back and I set up a nice little bar\game room.

Bar.jpg

Game.jpg

That sort of room is my dream. Big TV, games, good sound, comfy chairs and sofa, and most importantly, at least two taps for my homebrew. It will happen someday, but not right now when I'm a poor college student.

wetwired said:
How many home brewers are there on here? I'm lazy and just use wort kits though, with the occasionally dry hopped brew. My wife got me a kegerator for my 30th a few years back and I set up a nice little bar\game room.
i've got a similar setup, just got the quick-connects to switch out the standard kegs for my homebrew keg.

gzPDN.jpg

e0Evq.jpg

thestatics

Neo Member
I admire the adverseness of the beer here.... but surely nothing comes close to the godliness of Tennents.. Scottish craziness in a glass. :-D

Darias

There's a few homebrewers... There was a thread last year, iirc...

I've been brewing for a few years now... I have hops growing in the back yard... Always on the quest for more brewing equipment... : )

Top Bottom