• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Since it's about beer here, let's talk about beer glasses! What do you pour your favorite brew in, GAF? - when it's not going straight into your system of course :).

Every now and then a brewery gives away glasses, and a second-hand shop near my house is also a valuable source for very cheap glasses. I also got a couple as a gift together with a 75 ml. bottle of beer.

5512602542_93f0e8459d_z.jpg

From left to right: Pauwel Kwak, Leffe, Chimay, Tripel Karmeliet, Franziskaner and Schneider Weisse.

Rei_Toei said:
Since it's about beer here, let's talk about beer glasses! What do you pour your favorite brew in, GAF?

I make a habit of picking up pint glasses from breweries I've visited.

35jj6te.jpg

From left to right: Deschutes (Bend, OR), Ninkasi (Eugene, OR), Upstream (Omaha, NE), Baird (Numazu, Japan), Full Sail (Hood River, OR), Georgetown (Seattle, WA), Maui Brewing (Maui, HI).

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
distantmantra said:
I make a habit of picking up pint glasses from breweries I've visited.

35jj6te.jpg

From left to right: Deschutes (Bend, OR), Ninkasi (Eugene, OR), Upstream (Omaha, NE), Baird (Numazu, Japan), Full Sail (Hood River, OR), Georgetown (Seattle, WA), Maui Brewing (Maui, HI).

Nice set! I must admit, the only one I know is Baird - stumbled upon it once in a bar in Osaka. Are the others big breweries in the States? It's very easy to get a hold of practically anything from Belgium, Germany etc here in the Netherlands, but there aren't that many American beers available. The only one I see around quite often is Flying Dog.

tokkun

Rei_Toei said:
Nice set! I must admit, the only one I know is Baird - stumbled upon it once in a bar in Osaka. Are the others big breweries in the States? It's very easy to get a hold of practically anything from Belgium, Germany etc here in the Netherlands, but there aren't that many American beers available. The only one I see around quite often is Flying Dog.

I'm a Midwesterner and the only one of those brands I've seen is Deschutes, but maybe they get better distribution along the west coast.

thespot84

tokkun said:
I'm a Midwesterner and the only one of those brands I've seen is Deschutes, but maybe they get better distribution along the west coast.

deschutes and full sail have decent distribution as far east as denver (where i am). The others i've heard of mainly becuase of the great american beer festival but you won't find them in a liquor store here.

Georgetown doesn't bottle their beers at the moment, so you either have to go directly to the brewery or find a bar that carries it on tap. Ninkasi has started selling 6-packs which I've seen at Whole Foods and Fred Meyer in the last week or so. I've seen Maui's beers (6-packs in cans) at Whole Foods here in Seattle since December.

fenners

I *must* get that Baird Beer glass. I *must*.

Picked up my homebrew starter kit from the Austin Homebrew Supply store today at lunch :) Awesome store, like a giant beer making candy store, with the guys being very friendly, down to earth & willing to share advice. Picked up their kit + an 80 shilling ale kit that I'm looking forward to attempting.

fenners said:
I *must* get that Baird Beer glass. I *must*.

Picked up my homebrew starter kit from the Austin Homebrew Supply store today at lunch :) Awesome store, like a giant beer making candy store, with the guys being very friendly, down to earth & willing to share advice. Picked up their kit + an 80 shilling ale kit that I'm looking forward to attempting.

Be excited! Homebrewing is great. Remember SANITIZATION SANITIZATION SANITIZATION!
Also, in the words of Carlie Papazian. "Don't worry, relax, have a home brew"

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Control of fermentation is nearly as important, if not more important, than sanitation. What good is sanitation when your beer tastes like crap from the beginning?

At least if you suck at sanitation and rock at fermentation, your beer will taste good for a week or two.

gcubed

Yaboosh said:
Control of fermentation is nearly as important, if not more important, than sanitation. What good is sanitation when your beer tastes like crap from the beginning?

At least if you suck at sanitation and rock at fermentation, your beer will taste good for a week or two.

nothing more important then sanitation! fermentation is just keeping it below 70 for the most part if you are sticking to ale's... sanitation can ruin lives, babies, fetus's and plastic equipment.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
gcubed said:
nothing more important then sanitation! fermentation is just keeping it below 70 for the most part if you are sticking to ale's... sanitation can ruin lives, babies, fetus's and plastic equipment.

Thinking fermentation is just keeping it below 70 for ales shows a bit of a lack of knowledge about fermentation.

Sanitation is super important, and so is fermentation. Sanitation is emphasized by everyone which is why I like to point out that fermentation is as important, if not more so, in making excellent beers, since a poorly fermented beer will always taste crappy, but at least a really well fermented beer will taste good for a short while.

Yaboosh said:

I agree. Pitch rates and fermentation temp will have a greater impact on overall beer quality. But as a beginning brewer, sanitation is one of those things that it is just easier to get right the first time and then start tinkering with everything else.
Also, don't read the book "Yeast" by Palmer and Zainasheff unless you are ready to set aside room for a stir plate and equipment to both cool and warm your fermentation down to fractions of a degree. Great book, but man does it make me want to throw money at more equipment.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Ilúvatar said:
Young's is one of my favorite chocolate stouts, sooo dark.
Young's is pretty good, but Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout is by far my favorite. That might have something to do with it being an Imperial. I just wish it weren't a seasonal.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
sharkmuncher said:
I agree. Pitch rates and fermentation temp will have a greater impact on overall beer quality. But as a beginning brewer, sanitation is one of those things that it is just easier to get right the first time and then start tinkering with everything else.
Also, don't read the book "Yeast" by Palmer and Zainasheff unless you are ready to set aside room for a stir plate and equipment to both cool and warm your fermentation down to fractions of a degree. Great book, but man does it make me want to throw money at more equipment.

I know it costs more, but control of fermentation temperature should, in my opinion, never be left up to the ambient air.

Something as cheap as a large tub of water with a bunch of frozen 2liter bottles of water can drop the temperature of fermentation by 10F. It takes work, but I think it is worth it.

Stir plates are not necessary at all, and really should be a super late upgrade to your system. I still don't have one, and see no need for one, and I have geeked out on beer about as much as you possibly can, including moving 1500 miles away from home to break into the brewing industry.

Starters, however, are pretty necessary, but they are as cheap as a growler and some tin foil, along with a bit of extract. Super easy, and super helpful in making better beer.

Rei_Toei said:
Since it's about beer here, let's talk about beer glasses! What do you pour your favorite brew in, GAF? - when it's not going straight into your system of course :).

Every now and then a brewery gives away glasses, and a second-hand shop near my house is also a valuable source for very cheap glasses. I also got a couple as a gift together with a 75 ml. bottle of beer.

From left to right: Pauwel Kwak, Leffe, Chimay, Tripel Karmeliet, Franziskaner and Schneider Weisse.

Walnut Brewery, Walnut, Avery, Big Sky, Lucky Bucket

Wild Mountatin, Odell, Sam Adams, Avery, Odell

I have a few others sitting at my friends apartment. Tuesday night pint night is a very dangerous thing. My collection is growing a bit too rapidly

Also:

I got a new package in the mail today! And my sweet stout only has another day or so in the fermentor!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Kegging is the best thing you can possibly do for your homebrewing setup. It makes everything about it so much better.

thespot84 said:
You forgot to mention the boulder brew in the back :-D

Actually that was just a box I got with some beer in Boulder. I can get Boulder Beer out here so instead it was filled with Oskar Blues, Stone, Russian River and Full Sail, all of which are excellent.

Drunk..... like always. Hammered some shitty bud light followed by two 40's of mickeys and then I found some Bud light Lime which taste like piss that someone left in my garage from my last party. Yeah.... IM FUCKING RAW.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
For denizens of Central Texas, 512 Brewing is throwing a tasting on the 19th. For $5 you get a pint glass that they fill up three times.
http://512brewing.com/events.php

The event will showcase their new Black IPA (seasonal, I believe), but you can taste any of their regular brews as well. I really like what Black IPAs I've had (or whatever you want to call them) and theirs at least sounds good. Their description: http://512brewing.wordpress.com/2011/03/07/512-black-ipa-nonsensical-but-delicious/

I'm a big fan of 512. Great Wit, I love the Pecan Porter, and I think their IPA fairs well compared to the really great Cali IPAs. Their seasonals have all been exceptional too. You can still find the Winter seasonal, Cascabel Cream Stout - a sort of spicy sweet stout, at a lot of Austin places.

I've been to a couple of their tastings before. It's good times.

512 is by far my favorite Texas brewery, although the new Jester King brewery, terrible names aside, seems to have some really excellent beers. I'm particularly fond of their Imperial Stout, atrociously named Jester King Black Metal.

thespot84

i haven't seen the anti-macrobrew movie, so I don't know what all the hoopla is about really. I prefer to support local craft brews, but i don't think being a macro makes a beer BAD. Case in point: Blue moon is a passable wheat, and the stuff they cook up for the GABF is some of the most amazing beer i've ever had.

So, in conclusion, I say if you like something, drink it. Just know that there's usually a local brewer with a better version out there.

thespot84 said:
i haven't seen the anti-macrobrew movie, so I don't know what all the hoopla is about really. I prefer to support local craft brews, but i don't think being a macro makes a beer BAD. Case in point: Blue moon is a passable wheat, and the stuff they cook up for the GABF is some of the most amazing beer i've ever had.

So, in conclusion, I say if you like something, drink it. Just know that there's usually a local brewer with a better version out there.

I tend to agree. The main problem many people have against the Big 2 brewers is that they tend to do everything in their power to prevent the growth and distribution of new microbrews (which, as a large industry that has flatlined as far as growth, makes sense) Everything from distribution to shelf space in stores is pretty much controlled by Bud and Coors. Its like anything else though and I'd rather support a small local beer store who stocks everything as opposed to a grocery store or gas station anyways.

I think a lot of it also has to do with the region and the wants of the population. Some of our big grocery stores in Washington state (QFC, Top Foods and Fred Meyer) have bigger and better selections than a lot of beer specialty stores I've been to in other parts of the country.

thespot84

Makes sense, I work for a small video game publisher and can tell you the video game shelves operate in much the same way.

As for regionalities, our blue laws (CO) don't allow for anything above 3.2 in grocery stores, so we're confined to liquor stores anyways, and the liquor stores here have a very healthy relationship with the craft breweries.

LProtag

Speaking of glasses, does anyone know where I can get a decent set of beer glasses that cover the essential types of glasses for a reasonable price?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
InsertNameHere said:
Speaking of glasses, does anyone know where I can get a decent set of beer glasses that cover the essential types of glasses for a reasonable price?

Most good bottle shops tend to carry them.

LProtag

I guess I should follow up or revise this question:

Being a newbie to drinking good beer, what kinds of glasses should I have lying around? Preferably not being horribly specific and sticking to 3 or 4 styles at most.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
InsertNameHere said:
I guess I should follow up or revise this question:

Being a newbie to drinking good beer, what kinds of glasses should I have lying around? Preferably not being horribly specific and sticking to 3 or 4 styles at most.

Depends on your personal tastes.

I personally think a pint glass (I prefer a nonic/bubble pint) and a tulip cover all the bases.

Some people get fancy and specific with styles, but I think that those two glasses covers 100% of the spectrum for my needs. Anything sour or really big I will drink out of a tulip, and everything else I will drink out of a bubble pint.

Stone Imperial Pint

Stone Tulip

meadowrag

Banned
I tried that Killians the other night for the first time and my goodness.
After I had only cracked open two the entire house stank so bad, smelt like a bar that hadn't been cleaned in weeks.

I wish we had a better selection here, even the liquor store's selection is awful.
The best beer I can get is probably either Shiner Bohemian or Sam Adam's Boston Lager. They aren't bad beers but getting sick of drinking the same thing all the time.

HiResDes

meadowrag said:
I tried that Killians the other night for the first time and my goodness.
After I had only cracked open two the entire house stank so bad, smelt like a bar that hadn't been cleaned in weeks.

I wish we had a better selection here, even the liquor store's selection is awful.
The best beer I can get is probably either Shiner Bohemian or Sam Adam's Boston Lager. They aren't bad beers but getting sick of drinking the same thing all the time.
Sam Adams makes pretty damn good imperial too if you want to check that out...But today is St. Patty's so I'm going to be drinking Smithwicks exclusively : )

InsertNameHere said:

Pint glasses for sure.

Tulip later.

As long as you pour any decent beer into a glass, you are close enough to getting the full effect. I feel sad for people drinking these wonderful hoppy IPAs out of the bottle, being deprived of the wonderful aromas such beers have.

Top Bottom