• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Jackson50

I suppose I have been on a Belgian ale kick recently. I tried Bell's Winter Ale (witbier) and Goose Island's Sofie (saison). Bell's Winter Ale was mediocre. The spice blend and finish were unpleasant. Conversely, the body was light and pleasant. I will not purchase it again.

Y2lej.jpg

Goose Island's Sofie was exquisite. It poured a beautiful white head. The aroma was appealing, and the mouthfeel was sublime; it was dry with much carbonation that suited its taste. I will certainly purchase it again.

h2VU7.jpg

dubc35 said:
Enjoying a tasty IPA, Moose Drool is tasty too..

M006.jpg
Big Sky is pretty good, but Moose Drool was... interesting. That weird, pine taste, I didn't know what to make of that. It was certainly interesting, I just didn't know if I particularly enjoyed it

dubc35

Moose Drool is good but not great in my opinion. I'm a huge IPA fan though so that definitely skews my taste towards IPAs over other types. I've been trying more Porters and Stouts lately as I find them more sipping/enjoying beers whereas I tend to drink IPAs in gulps.

ameratsu

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Man, if you got six of them, that'd be like 45 bucks after tax! My cousin was telling me I should move to Montreal since this stuff is brewed there haha. I should ask her how much it's sold up north.

I was thinking about buying a case of 12 FDM (750ml) because the liquor store had cases out behind the unibroue display. Would have been $71 all in. Too rich for my student blood, lol.

But I love the stuff as well so I settled for 2 bottles. It's $5.95 incl tax a bottle where I live, likely cheaper in Quebec though.

dubc35 said:
Moose Drool is good but not great in my opinion. I'm a huge IPA fan though so that definitely skews my taste towards IPAs over other types. I've been trying more Porters and Stouts lately as I find them more sipping/enjoying beers whereas I tend to drink IPAs in gulps.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of IPAs as well. Big Sky Brewing is a good brewery for sure, I've been meaning to pick up some Trout Slayer to sample.

ameratsu said:
I was thinking about buying a case of 12 FDM (750ml) because the liquor store had cases out behind the unibroue display. Would have been $71 all in. Too rich for my student blood, lol.

But I love the stuff as well so I settled for 2 bottles. It's $5.95 incl tax a bottle where I live, likely cheaper in Quebec though.
I'm probably gonna pick up some LFDM the end of this week. It's 6.50 at Dierbergs, which is definitely more agreeable than the $8 I had been paying at Shop N Save before I knew Dierbergs carried it. I was actually at the Dierbergs a few days ago and all of the LFDM was gone in the Unibroue section whilst everything else remained. Wonder if GAFfers read about it and picked them up haha

ameratsu

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
I'm probably gonna pick up some LFDM the end of this week. It's 6.50 at Dierbergs, which is definitely more agreeable than the $8 I had been paying at Shop N Save before I knew Dierbergs carried it. I was actually at the Dierbergs a few days ago and all of the LFDM was gone in the Unibroue section whilst everything else remained. Wonder if GAFfers read about it and picked them up haha

I can't speak for where you live, but where I live that frequently happens. LFDM will sell out at the liquor store while other Unibroue beers are always in stock. Trois Pistoles isn't readily available where I live either though, just Blanche De Chambly, Ephemere Apple, and Maudite.

Had a Guinness last weekend while I was in Vegas. Had it before but never got into it. This time was different. After talking to the Guinness bartender at Mandalay, I got my first, properly poured cup of Guinness and it was god damn good! This is up there with my Sam Adams as my go to beer from now on. Now I get why this beer is so loved.

tokkun

ameratsu said:

Is there a reason you want bombers? You might assume that it would be cheaper to buy larger bottles, but it's actually the reverse. The 330ml 4-packs give you more beer for the buck.

Stores pretty much always charge a premium for large bottles, so I only buy them when I want them to look nice for gift purposes or when it is a beer that I can only find in bomber size.

ameratsu

tokkun said:
Is there a reason you want bombers? You might assume that it would be cheaper to buy larger bottles, but it's actually the reverse. The 330ml 4-packs give you more beer for the buck.

Stores pretty much always charge a premium for large bottles, so I only buy them when I want them to look nice for gift purposes or when it is a beer that I can only find in bomber size.

Strangely, The only Unibroue beer available in 330ml here is Blanche de Chambly. If I could get LFDM in that size, I'd go for it. You are completely right though; 750ml BDC is $6 while 6x330ml BDC is only about $13.

Special orders are available but I'm afraid I'd have to buy some huge quantity in order for them to bring it in. (Just a side note: Liquor sales here are controlled by a crown corporation. There are (very few) private sellers, and the non-government retailers are limited in what they can bring in.)

Bread

Banned
I made my first purchase with my new license, I got a six of Wachusett Green Monsta Ale. I had to dress it up for my pic for gaf though.
358wc8y.jpg

wetwired

Darias said:
There's a few homebrewers... There was a thread last year, iirc...

I've been brewing for a few years now... I have hops growing in the back yard... Always on the quest for more brewing equipment... : )

How difficult is it to grow hops? how much space do you require and I assume the species you grow is respective to your climate?

wetwired said:
I can finally post in this thread after years of lurking.

How many home brewers are there on here? I'm lazy and just use wort kits though, with the occasionally dry hopped brew. My wife got me a kegerator for my 30th a few years back and I set up a nice little bar\game room.

Bar.jpg

Game.jpg

Can I come live with you?

I homebrew

Little bit of Oskar Blues Ten Fidy action here. Imperial Stout, pours like motor oil, almost no carbonation, absolutely amazing stout. In my opinion, one of the finest imperial stouts out there.

Also, just got back from Colorado for the weekend. Guess what beers are not distributed in Nebraska (Hint: it's about $35 / 12 pack)

fenners

So my first brew day went well. Started boiling at 10:45am, wort + yeast were in the fermenter by 2:30pm. Made a Scottish Ale 80 Shilling extract + grain kit from AustinHomebrewSupply.

No real mistakes that I can think of... Already want a wort chiller for the next batch...

I've got bubbles in my airlock this morning, which was a fantastic thing to see... I got beer brewing!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Get jealous everybody.

4pmXd.jpg

The beer on the right in the corked/caged bottle is the collaboration between Sierra Nevada and Russian River, a sour brown.

The others are an IPA, an oyster stout (with real oysters) and a porter.

gcubed

in the middle of a brewing binge. Have a get together in May that i'm hosting and will be serving 8 beers. Inviting local bars and business people to have a few to drink. Still working on getting my license, have a location need a tad more money... trying to do it with minimal loans. Have Bohemian Pilsner, Dry Stout, Rye IPA, Hefe, Summer Ale, Saison and Porter lined up... and my keezer died on my last week. Not a good time to kick the bucket.

I need to drink more

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
gcubed said:
in the middle of a brewing binge. Have a get together in May that i'm hosting and will be serving 8 beers. Inviting local bars and business people to have a few to drink. Still working on getting my license, have a location need a tad more money... trying to do it with minimal loans. Have Bohemian Pilsner, Dry Stout, Rye IPA, Hefe, Summer Ale, Saison and Porter lined up... and my keezer died on my last week. Not a good time to kick the bucket.

I need to drink more

You don't need a tad more money, you need a lot more money. I don't even know how much money you do have and I know you need more.

Are you going brewpub or distributing brewery? Don't undersize your initial system. It will just end up making your life crap nearly immediately. For a distributing brewery, I wouldn't start with anything less than 10bbls, and even then, 15bbls is probably better.

For a brewpub, I would say bare minimum 5bbls, but 7+ is probably better.

If it were me, I would open a brewpub without food, just operate as a tasting room selling pints and growlers, and if you have excess capacity, do limited bottling/distribution in kegs to local bars just for advertising. There is way more money in that startup design than in the distribution end of things.

There are currently 633 breweries trying to open up in the US. That is a lot. There is enormous competition right now, for equipment, for customers, for shelf space, for everything. You have to differentiate yourself from the competition somehow. You probably won't do it on quality if you are a distributing brewery. There is just so many great breweries out there already. You can try doing it with different sorts of beers, you can do it with marketing (blech, don't do it like that), you can do it based on location in places that don't get much great craft beer, you can do it on price (blech, too hard to compete with Sam Adams/Sierra Nevada on price). The best way to do it, I think, is to cater to an underserved area and put all your efforts into a nice tasting room where you can sell 4-5 dollar pints that cost you less than a dollar to make.

gcubed said:

I need to drink more

Sounds awesome. I've just gotten into homebrewing but you're pretty much living the dream, it sounds like.

I've got a Vanilla Porter aging in the keg right now, might try some today (even though it's only spent ~2 weeks in primary, and <1 week in secondary.) I find that's my biggest problem with this whole homebrewing thing: patience. :)

gcubed

Yaboosh said:
You don't need a tad more money, you need a lot more money. I don't even know how much money you do have and I know you need more.

Are you going brewpub or distributing brewery? Don't undersize your initial system. It will just end up making your life crap nearly immediately. For a distributing brewery, I wouldn't start with anything less than 10bbls, and even then, 15bbls is probably better.

For a brewpub, I would say bare minimum 5bbls, but 7+ is probably better.

If it were me, I would open a brewpub without food, just operate as a tasting room selling pints and growlers, and if you have excess capacity, do limited bottling/distribution in kegs to local bars just for advertising. There is way more money in that startup design than in the distribution end of things.

There are currently 633 breweries trying to open up in the US. That is a lot. There is enormous competition right now, for equipment, for customers, for shelf space, for everything. You have to differentiate yourself from the competition somehow. You probably won't do it on quality if you are a distributing brewery. There is just so many great breweries out there already. You can try doing it with different sorts of beers, you can do it with marketing (blech, don't do it like that), you can do it based on location in places that don't get much great craft beer, you can do it on price (blech, too hard to compete with Sam Adams/Sierra Nevada on price). The best way to do it, I think, is to cater to an underserved area and put all your efforts into a nice tasting room where you can sell 4-5 dollar pints that cost you less than a dollar to make.

oh, i know how much money i need, i'm not doing this by the seat of the pants. I've had my eyes opened between the times of "i wouldnt mind trying to do this" to the "i'm going to work on getting this done". I'm indeed at the "i need a bit more money" stage. At this time, I have a location set aside that will basically be a distribution only. I have a number of bars set up that will put me on tap once i'm licensed and running. I didnt want to tackle the food at all, so i wasn't looking at that since its just as easy to fail on the food vs the beer. The choice to go distribution only was because i have a location that isn't exactly tailored to serving as a "free" place to brew. It was an easier method to get started living in a beer rich area (Philadelphia area) without too much downside (the biggest investment is the system, which can get moved if things take off). The tasting room idea is a good idea. There was a brewery near where i grew up that started a "brew pub" with a bar and a hot dog machine.

FlashFlooder... not living the dream yet. Like i mentioned above, when i went from seriously working on doing this the dream smacked me in the face with the dollar signs. Started working on things again this year but still brewing most weekends. Don't worry, it gets easier to let it sit once you get more going.

gcubed said:

I need to drink more

You bottling any of it, or just making kegs? I don't know how far along in the process you are, but what bars in Philadelphia have you heard are willing to carry your beer? I need to know so I can go and order a bunch with the guys to support you!

GRRRRRR
Just lost round 2 with my new keg. I racked a coffee stout into it a week ago, but too many coffee grounds slipped in and clogged the keg. Tonight, I racked it back out into a fermentor, cleaned and resanitized my keg and attempted to re-rack into the keg using a nylon grain bag as a filter...too big, grounds clogged the auto-syphon. My beer is currently now in the fermentor again and I need to get a smaller filter and try to transport it one more time. I might just give up on kegging this one and bottle and try to keg something less chunky. Had to vent. Any suggestions would be helpful.

LProtag

Went to the local brewery/bar/restaurant and got this:

Autobahn Mail Alt
Our version of this classic German “old ale” blending two caramel and crystal malts with pale barley as a base and hopped with Tettnang. 5.6%abv

It was delicious. I'm happy my college is only 10 minutes away from a great brewery and restaurant. Best place to go for nice dinners or just beers and nachos.

HiResDes

I'm currently wasted on Bell's Double Cream Stout, what a great beer, it doesn't do anything extraordinary but it just might be the most be the most drinkable stout I've ever had....And I've had 7 or 8....

fenners

Love me some Torpedo. Tonight is a Lagunitas WTF. Good.

And my homebrew Scottish 80 shilling is quietly fermenting in the background... Looks like the bubbles have stopped (6 days after brewing), will leave it in the primary for another week I reckon.

thespot84

New Ale house just opened up down the street:

Edit: I should not they're all on tap, and it was the first time I'd had Raison d'etre, definitely won't be the last. Wonderful beer.

Also if you ever see Breckenridge's Regal Pils, pick that up too for sure...

Jackson50

JodyAnthony said:
Goose Island is being purchased by Anheuser-Busch :O
Brewmaster stepping down D:

http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2011/03/anheuser-busch-inbev-to-take-over-goose-island.html
Unfortunate. The news about the brewmaster is especially terrible. Regardless, I hope they continue unabated. Goose Island is an exceptional brewery.

Also, I am drinking Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. I thoroughly enjoy brown ales, and this is a contender for my favorite. Perhaps only Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar is more delectable. It had a beautiful creamy head with much lacing; that translates to the mouthfeel. A smooth beer with a satisfying nutty finish.

jaYZx.jpg

HiResDes

I'm currently drinking Ithaca Apricot Wheat and starting to dread every second of it...The beer is entirely too sweet, the apricot flavor overpowers everything to an obscene level, it lacks any sort of maltiness and pretty much the only thing it has going for it is it's overall mouthfeel. I think this is my first negative review on my voyage to try a new beer every time out. STAY AWAY FROM THIS STUFF

thespot84

HiResDes said:
I'm currently drinking Ithaca Apricot Wheat and starting to dread every second of it...The beer is entirely too sweet, the apricot flavor overpowers everything to an obscene level, it lacks any sort of maltiness and pretty much the only thing it has going for it is it's overall mouthfeel. I think this is my first negative review on my voyage to try a new beer every time out. STAY AWAY FROM THIS STUFF

I find a lot of fruit beers to be enjoyable for at most the first beer, and maybe not even that far. Pyramid's Apricot is actually pretty enjoyable until you finish one, and they're just far too heavy. A number of blueberry brews I've tried have been similar. Have you had other fruit beers?

So I've been in Europe (Netherlands/Belgium) since April 1st.

My wife and I just got back from a nightcap (ie. three beers each) at A La Mort Subite in Brussels. I had a Westmalle Trippel, Grimbergen Brune, and Mort Subite's Lambic White Beer. The wife had Mort Subite's Kriek and Peche lambics. Good night.

Heading to the Cantillon brewery tomorrow.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I have some Three Floyds Dark Lord, Firestone Walker Abacus, and the Gose and Berliner Weisse from the Bruery heading my way. Yum.

Top Bottom