• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
HappyBivouac said:
Eh, the most-respected IPA's/DIPA's out there pretty much knock it out of the park in terms of flavor. It's incredible what Bells pulls off with Hopslam, really.

Barleywine is a tricky style. It runs sort of a wide spectrum. Get too hoppy, and some people start saying "this is a DIPA!" Get too malty and sweet, and people start saying "This is an Old Ale!" For me, it just means a big beer that hits hard on both ends of the flavor spectrum. Then again, fresh Bigfoot is skewed toward the hoppy side, yet I still love the beer. It's just too damn tasty. I'd love to try one with 5-10 years on it.
I thought the Pliny was exquisite (10 day old bottle). I've had Stone's IPA and detested it, and the Pliny is a DIPA and the Stone is a regular old IPA (which leads me to believe the difference between a DIPA and an IPA isn't particularly huge).

A bunch of coasters I swiped from bars in Belgium and the Netherlands...
2qdpym9.jpg

1687acw.jpg

My bottle of Wesvleteren 12 acquired in Belgium. For those that don't know about Westy 12, here's the BeerAdvocate page on it:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/313/1545

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
HiResDes said:
...Can't wait to compare the Oatmeal Stouts tonight

Keep in mind that "oatmeal stout" isn't really a style that is often stuck to. A lot of brewers will call their stout an oatmeal stout if they throw any flaked oats in it. So some may take a huge stout (almost an imperial stout) and throw oats in it and call it an Oatmeal stout. There is fairly little consistency amongst probrewers for the "style".

Shakespeare Stout is a hoppy American stout, and the Sam Smith's is an English version that is quite a bit more restrained. It will still be interesting to compare, but don't expect a whole ton of similarities.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
HiResDes said:

No real bummer, Shakespeare Stout is one of my favorite American stouts, and Sam Smiths is a damn fine beer as well. They just might not be as similar as you may have assumed. You will still have plenty to compare/contrast in the two examples.

distantmantra said:
A bunch of coasters I swiped from bars in Belgium and the Netherlands...
http://i53.tinypic.com/2qdpym9.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/1687acw.jpg
My bottle of Wesvleteren 12 acquired in Belgium. For those that don't know about Westy 12, here's the BeerAdvocate page on it:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/313/1545

Color me jealous. I've been wanting to get my hands on some Westy 12 for a while but it's just too expensive to ship.

A pub owner I know gets it occasionally, so I've been waiting on that. He keeps telling me Rochefort 12 is better though.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I love an ice cold Peroni

peroni.jpg

It's one of the few things the Italians got right, apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

HiResDes said:
FGTgU.jpg

Fuuuu... Damn I hate you. 4 pack of Unibroue? Bah! Promising impression on the Maudite as well. I asked you about that the last time but you hadn't tried it yet. I'll have to pick up a bottle when the LFDM is gone.

LProtag

Just found out I have mono today.

No beer for a couple of months, most likely.

Summer will be boring.

Edit: Also, my girlfriend's anniversary gift for me was going to be a 4-pack of La Fin that she found somewhere and the proper glass to drink it in.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Had Trappistes Rochefort 8 the other night and it blew myself off with its extreme deliciousness. Got some other Trappist brews on deck to try.

Currently drinking some Rogue Juniper Pale Ale.

Dr. Strangelove said:
Had Trappistes Rochefort 8 the other night and it blew myself off with its extreme deliciousness. Got some other Trappist brews on deck to try.

I had an 8 and a 10 at Les Brassins in Brussels last weekend. Only 3 Euros a bottle. I'm sure they're much more expensive here in the States.

Currently drinking some Rogue Juniper Pale Ale.

Good call. One of my favorite beers ever.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
distantmantra said:
I had an 8 and a 10 at Les Brassins in Brussels last weekend. Only 3 Euros a bottle. I'm sure they're much more expensive here in the States.

The normal bottle size?

1450-0w300h300_Abbaye_Saint_Remy_Trappistes_Rochefort_Brown_Belgian_Beer.jpg

They have the 6, 8 and 10 (and I think another) for $4.99 or $5.99 a piece at Central Market, I think.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
thespot84 said:
I think we really missed the boat on the vomitoriums...

A vomitorium is a passage situated below or behind a tier of seats in an amphitheatre, through which crowds can exit at the end of a performance.

There is a common misconception that Ancient Romans designated spaces called vomitoria for the purpose of actual vomiting, as part of a binge and purge cycle. It's a common mistake and one that is not repeated by learned men.

For once I found a use for my classical education >_O

HiResDes

Maudite - Pours a tannish red color with a sweet scent reminiscent of a slightly burned acorn squash. The initial taste is a euphoric combination of brown sugar, fruit (maybe sweet apple) and maybe a slight hint of cinnamon combined with the complex flavors of the very best examples of Belgian Strong Dark Ales. The relatively high ABV is completely concealed. This isn't a very hoppy beer obviously, but I think that makes the flavor so stunningly complex. The carbonation is medium to low medium and the mouthfeel is so smooth and surprisingly refreshing. This is without a doubt my personal favorite beer, and I've had quite a few of them. : )

HiResDes said:
Maudite - Pours a tannish red color with a sweet scent reminiscent of a slightly burned acorn squash. The initial taste is a euphoric combination of brown sugar, fruit (maybe sweet apple) and maybe a slight hint of cinnamon combined with the complex flavors of the very best examples of Belgian Strong Dark Ales. The relatively high ABV is completely concealed. This isn't a very hoppy beer obviously, but I think that makes the flavor so stunningly complex. The carbonation is medium to low medium and the mouthfeel is so smooth and surprisingly refreshing. This is without a doubt my personal favorite beer, and I've had quite a few of them. : )
God, I wish there was a place that sold the four packs by me. All I can find are the bomber bottles :(

meadowrag

Banned
Having an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.
It's 9% but doesn't really taste like it at all. With that said it pours as black as they come and is definitely not a beer for the faint of heart. Very excellent though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I was up at Odell today in Fort Collins, and it was surprisingly terrible.

Out of a sampler flight of 8, 2 were decent. One was a complete diacetyl bomb, and 5 were undrinkably metallic. Really terrible stuff. I have always had good experiences with Odell, so I was pretty surprised and disappointed today.

Equinox and Funkwerks, on the other hand, were great experiences. Funkwerks only had one weak spot (and even that wasn't too bad, just an iffy munich malt/sweetness combination) and Equinox had a fantastic Saison IPA and porter.

meadowrag said:
Having an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.
It's 9% but doesn't really taste like it at all. With that said it pours as black as they come and is definitely not a beer for the faint of heart. Very excellent though.
I know what you mean. It's strange how some beers hide the ABV better than others. I can't really tell that LFDM is 9 percent, but this Dirty Bastard is 8.5 and it has me feeling a bit dizzy.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Zefah said:
The normal bottle size?

1450-0w300h300_Abbaye_Saint_Remy_Trappistes_Rochefort_Brown_Belgian_Beer.jpg

They have the 6, 8 and 10 (and I think another) for $4.99 or $5.99 a piece at Central Market, I think.
I was in D.C. today and was able to hit up Pizzeria Paradiso in Georgetown. Had a glass of this (they also had Westmalle which is my favorite) and something on tap called Oskar Blues Gubna, which was friggin' fantastic. Nice, strong (10%) IPA with some fruity spice to it and a clean bitter finish.

Their beer selection was insane and I'm now officially jealous of people who live in the area.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
I know what you mean. It's strange how some beers hide the ABV better than others. I can't really tell that LFDM is 9 percent, but this Dirty Bastard is 8.5 and it has me feeling a bit dizzy.

A lot of it has to do with the skill of the brewer, but also to a certain extent the intentions of the brewer.

All else being equal, I think that a beer with the taste of alcohol is worse than one without it. But not all agree with that.

HiResDes

Naw Rogue's Double Mocha Porter is one fantastic beer in which the taste of the alcohol is fairly present and yet I'd have no problems declaring it to be one of the better porters in existence.

mYm|17|

MightyArrow.png

Had this at the bar last night and it was amazing. I found it at super target and was about to get it when the girl said they don't sell alcohol on sundays in GA............ :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, you guys drink some fine beer. I have a taste for the good shit, but I often have to settle for simple beer flavored beer.

It's all good, though. Tonight is Sunday night aka beer night so maybe I'll splurge on something quality this time.

Jackson50

HiResDes said:
http://i.imgur.com/FGTgU.jpg

Those are some exceptional brews. I especially enjoy Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout.

I drank New Holland's Dragon's Milk last night. It was satisfactory. It poured with a minimal head, and the lacing was also minimal. It was nearly black with a red hue. I could taste the oak, and it finished with a strong bourbon kick.

zuJ8V.jpg

tokkun

SteveWinwood said:
PBR is the worst beer in the world. Drink some awesome Keystone Ice instead.

PBR was the cheap macro of choice for my friends (I went to school in Wisconsin). Better than Bud/Miller/Coors, IMO. This was before it had the hipster stigma attached to it.

mYm|17| said:
Had this at the bar last night and it was amazing. I found it at super target and was about to get it when the girl said they don't sell alcohol on sundays in GA............ :(

I don't recall trying Mighty Arrow, though I'm generally a fan of New Belgium. How would you describe it?

tokkun said:
PBR was the cheap macro of choice for my friends (I went to school in Wisconsin). Better than Bud/Miller/Coors, IMO. This was before it had the hipster stigma attached to it.
I was just joking with him, but I wasn't really lying (About the Keystone Ice I was). I think it tastes terrible. Coors and normal keystone taste much better to me, but to each his own. Yeah PBR has gone up in price because the hipsters still buy it no matter what and it drives some of my friends crazy because they like it and it used to be cheap as dirt.

mYm|17|

tokkun said:
I don't recall trying Mighty Arrow, though I'm generally a fan of New Belgium. How would you describe it?
It was sweet tasting. It leaves a very nice aftertaste.

Very smooth too

ABV - 6.0%
IBU - 34
Calories - 180
Hops - Target, Goldings, Cascade, Amarillo
Malts - Pale, Honey, Caramel
TG - 2.1

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
tokkun said:

It is a late hop dominated beer with a fairly low bitterness, finishing gravity and ABV. What that means to the beer is that you get a lot of citrus/fruit hop flavors but it tends to taste a little watery versus many other hoppy pale ales and IPAs. It is still good, but not amazing (for me).

GiJoccin

lawblob said:
NYC people, what are your favorite local brews?

the only Brooklyn Brewery beer I've really liked is the Brooklyn Blast (their double ipa, not bottled - I had it at Brooklyn Bowl and they serve it at the brewery, DELICIOUS)

I'm partial to sixpoint, pretty much anything they make, and captain lawrence (Westchester) makes some interesting beers (though not all of them are great)

I haven't had any other NYC breweries

Top Bottom