• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

injurai

Banned
What's everyone's favorite holiday season / winter ale? Looking to try some favorites, and maybe stock up on them for parties.

I'm quite partial to Great Lakes Christmas and Bell's Winter.

What's everyone's favorite holiday season / winter ale? Looking to try some favorites, and maybe stock up on them for parties.

Shiner Cheer remains the greatest beer, seasonal or otherwise. Probably can't find it anymore unless you're in Texas. I stockpile the stuff for Jan and Feb.

Seth C

Damn I know what I'm doing next brew day. Never heard of this before. Making a SMASH Pilsner in a week or so to baptize my new grain mill and 25kg sack of german pilsner

Edit: Seth, that's a 10 gal brew with 25lb of grain, correct? Or are you brewing something insane

Yup, it's 10 gallons of IPA with 25 lbs. of grain. Should be around 6.4%.

andylsun

Yup, it's 10 gallons of IPA with 25 lbs. of grain. Should be around 6.4%.

Sounds perfect. Green flash west coast IPA range - until they changed the recipe to make it a double and added more citrus. Least I can make the old recipe at home.

Which reminds me, think that needs to be brewed again after my Pilsner.

Anyone else brew with Danstar Windsor yeast? Last 3 times it stopped at 1.020 FG. Same recipe would be at 1.010 with safale S-04

Bernardus Christmas is great. Also, I really dig Yulesmith Winter, though it's not really a typical winter beer.

Salaadin

Shiner Cheer remains the greatest beer, seasonal or otherwise. Probably can't find it anymore unless you're in Texas. I stockpile the stuff for Jan and Feb.

I just got a Shiner Cheer today in PA along with a few other seasonal. Looking forward to drinking them.

Only had Lancaster Winter Warmer so far. It was good. Real easy to drink. I also reluctantly grabbed that Leinenkugal Cranberry Ginger shandy and it was horrible.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Had it on draft here in South Florida. It is good, though I wouldn't put it at the top of any of my lists.

dodgeme

Don't drink a ton of beer, but I did have to get myself a couple of these before they went out of season. Saving them for when I have that craving. One of my personal favorites.

iHV6S2I.png

Sounds perfect. Green flash west coast IPA range - until they changed the recipe to make it a double and added more citrus. Least I can make the old recipe at home.

Which reminds me, think that needs to be brewed again after my Pilsner.

Anyone else brew with Danstar Windsor yeast? Last 3 times it stopped at 1.020 FG. Same recipe would be at 1.010 with safale S-04
I'll still use Nottingham from time to time, but I haven't been too impressed with most of the Danstar I've used. Both Windsor and BRY-97 have been functional, but underperforming when Fermentis has solid alternatives.

Since we're on the topic of homebrew, I put my Belgian Dark Strong on gas a few days ago. It'd been bulk aging in a keg for the last month or so waiting for a space to open up in the fridge. I went a poured one last night. It was pretty decent, but maybe a bit too strong. I still haven't got a great handle on my mash efficiency and I overshot the gravity. It's real nice, otherwise. Fig and raisin, a little chocolate in the middle, spicy finish, with a nice Belgian funk from the Westvleteran yeast. It's just a bit too hot. It has definitely mellowed a bit since I first racked it to the keg, so we'll see what a little cold conditioning does.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Don't drink a ton of beer, but I did have to get myself a couple of these before they went out of season. Saving them for when I have that craving. One of my personal favorites.
Pumking is definitely a fall staple for me. Though I actually prefer Warlock.

dekline

I don't have any specific winter favorites, but that celebration fresh hop ipa was damn tasty.

I will say that a thick, heady stout is hard to beat when it's cold out.

fijim

Banned
What is everyone planning on cracking on Christmas/New Years?

Right now I am thinking for Christmas:

Three Floyds Vanilla Bean Dark Lord 2014
Goose Island Proprietors BCBS 2014
18th St. Cherry Hunter
Mikkeller Beer Geek Vanilla Shake (Bourbon Edition)

For New years:

Perrenial Abraxas
Rodenbach Caractère Rouge
Firestone Walker 18 - Anniversary Ale

HiResDes

18th St. Cherry Hunter

For New years:

Perrenial Abraxas
Well my Christmas and New Years won't be that impressive, I guarantee

18th St. Cherry Hunter

For New years:

Perrenial Abraxas

Christmas Eve:
Growlers of Boneyard RPM and Hop Venom

Christmas with my wife and parents:
2011 Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise
2011 Drei Fontein Oude Geuze
2012 Fremont Bourbon Abominable
2014 Perennial Abraxas
2014 Propolis Cedar Imperial Saison

New Year's Eve:
No clue, get together with friends and drink a bunch of out of distribution beers that people brought back from trips. Should be beers from Virginia, Connecticut and Argentina. I've got a Pretty Things Barbapapa Stout and some Jacks Abby Kiwinh Rising bottles to share.

Yeah, someone recommended me those before. I should track those down after these two bottles. They're not on sale at my local shop.
With the 8 and 10, let them warm up some. They taste best to me when just slightly chilled. Someone on here recommended the 10 at room temp, and damn was it tasty then too.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I tried Guinness for the first time. That is some delicious stuff.

Story time.

Sixpoint is now distributing to Portland, Oregon. We had a thread discussing this in the NW forum on Beer Advocate. I mentioned in the thread that I had had a Resin the other night and that it was too malty for my liking, but still a good beer. I said pretty much the same on Untappd and gave it 3.5 stars. The PR guy for Sixpoint got in touch with me and asked for my address.

q7Tw6Pl.png

This is amazing. Sixpoint does not distribute in WA, but they still felt it important to send me fresh beer that truly represents the product.

Thirsty Dog 12 Dog's of Christmas Ale, it's the original recipe for Great Lakes Christmas

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt

I picked up four bottles of New England Brewing's Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout (2014). I am a pretty big fan of their Stout Trooper, so I am pretty excited to try this out. Looks like this particular run was limited to 1500 bottles.

codhand

I picked up four bottles of New England Brewing's Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout (2014). I am a pretty big fan of their Stout Trooper, so I am pretty excited to try this out. Looks like this particular run was limited to 1500 bottles.

nicely done

We need to work something out for some sip of sunshine one if these days lol

they just started contract brewing cans in CT so that will be easy.

Top Bottom