• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

overcast

Went to some bars with friends last night in SD. They had 2.50 for pints at one place. Stayed there a while and got to try Grapefruit Sculpin. Predictably delicious, but not too different from the normal Sculpin.

t9k3wdsl.jpg

Got the box from Sixpoint today. WOW.

wow, nice man! wtf did you say, so i can do the same. I just have to complain about Resin on untappd? haha

I didn't say a single negative thing, just that it was maltier than I prefer my IPAs on Beer Advocate. So much generosity, I'm really stunned. Three six-packs, shirt, coasters, stickers and signed Christmas card, too.

Anyone else get beer for Christmas?

10168091_10205478147974258_1342477558358733836_n.jpg

Nebraska Brewing IPA, Green Flash West Coast IPA, Crux Half Hitch DIPA, Skagit Brewing Barrel Aged Trumpeter and a Jacks Abby Kiwi Rising IPL.

My parents both got sick so they went home before dinner. Shelving the Abraxas, 3F and Cantillons for today, will wait for them to feel better. Had a Enjoy By 12.26.14 earlier, probably open a can of Nebraska IPA soon, then a Half Hitch with Etoufee for dinner and then a Kentucky Dark Star Spice Wars with the wife later tonight.

Still a good Christmas beer day.

codhand

mom blind picked me

Hitachino Red Rice Ale
De Dolle Extra Export Stout and
Chateau Rouge a French hibiscus / chili beer

had the Stout before the other two are new, but from breweries i like. also got IPA soap, lol, not joking. oh and beer jelly beans, which taste like just regular jelly beans sadly

Salaadin

Me and my dad were out to Michigan a few months back for work and went to Founders so for Xmas, he got me a Founders variety pack. 6 dry hopped pale ale, 6 centennial, 6 dirty bastard, and 6 porter. I love it.

I actually never had their porter before. Im typically not a fan of porters but I havent really had a ton of them either so we'll see.

Had a Noble Mosaic Showers (almost as good as Citra and Nelson) and a Firestone Double DBA last night and split a 2013 Sucaba with my dad to go with the duck we made. I like this a lot more than the 2014 I had when it came out, the alcohol is so well hidden and it's so syrupy and decadent.

Going to Portland, Oregon tomorrow for a week. HUB, Cascade, Hair of the Dog, Commons, Upright, Rogue, Deschutes and Bridgeport are on my list. What other breweries should I visit?

Going to Portland, Oregon tomorrow for a week. HUB, Cascade, Hair of the Dog, Commons, Upright, Rogue, Deschutes and Bridgeport are on my list. What other breweries should I visit?

Skip Rogue, Bridgeport and HUB. Add in Breakside, Gigantic and maybe Fat Heads if they've got Headhunter on tap. Also be on the lookout for Boenyard and Barley Browns beers.

Skip Rogue, Bridgeport and HUB. Add in Breakside, Gigantic and maybe Fat Heads if they've got Headhunter on tap. Also be on the lookout for Boenyard and Barley Browns beers.
My wife's from eastern Oregon and we meet in Eugene; we don't make it home very often (been about 4 years). I have sentimental reasons for the ones you told me to skip. Bridgeport is on the list because a buddy of mine used to brew there in the 80s and I have memories of summer snowboarding on Timberline heading down to Bridgeport on the way home. HUB is on for their cyclist ethos and Cascadian ales. Rogue is on for their pilot beers and memories of way too good of times in Newport on my birthday.

Thank you so much for the information.

My wife had already added Breakside. :)
Fat Heads is a few blocks away from our hotel.
Gigantic looks amazing!

I could geek out on telling stories of steelhead fishing and drinking at Barley Browns. I've heard they've upped production after building a production facility across the street. Boneyard would be nice, so would ale apothecary and Oakshire.

Salaadin

I want to buy a set of beer glasses and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions here. Brand names and whatnot. Doesnt have to be anything fancy but I do want them to be nice

I want to buy a set of beer glasses and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions here. Brand names and whatnot. Doesnt have to be anything fancy but I do want them to be nice

Just to be sure are you looking for a set of identical glasses or a bunch for different styles? What styles do you mostly drink? Do you want something displaying a brewery name or something plain?

Honestly, I love getting different glasses from breweries I love (and not just pint glasses). Things like tulips and tekus are really versatile and a lot of breweries offer such glassware even online.

Salaadin

Just to be sure are you looking for a set of identical glasses or a bunch for different styles? What styles do you mostly drink? Do you want something displaying a brewery name or something plain?

Honestly, I love getting different glasses from breweries I love (and not just pint glasses). Things like tulips and tekus are really versatile and a lot of breweries offer such glassware even online.

Different styles. I drink pretty much everything so I figured I'd get a nice set.

Good idea on buying from different breweries. My only drawback there is that I don't have many nearby

HiResDes

My current haul. Still haven't tried the cougar, the other two are great. I've had the Panther on tap before, and it is delectable.

Rhinegeist Panther

Rhinegiest Cougar

Madtree Thunder Snow

I love Madtree, but I'm not a big fan of Rhinegheist at all. Axis Mundi is fucking amazing too

injurai

Banned
I love Madtree, but I'm not a big fan of Rhinegheist at all. Axis Mundi is fucking amazing too

Panther is pretty good, not top class stout. But it's a nice balance between a sweet and roasty malts.

Cougar is a rather dull blonde all. It's either the worst of the best blonde ales or best of the worst. Because it's perfectly stomachable, but reminds me of cheap venue beer which is there merely to get you drunk.

Thunder Snow is very complex and delicious. It's the first Mad Tree that I've liked. I've only had their IPAs before, which are admittedly not my favorite class of Beer.

Gray Matter

I had yuengling for the first time today and I loved it. Now, I know next to nothing about beer, but that's the best beer I've ever had.

HiResDes

No it's not bad, it's just completely inoffensive and by the numbers to me. Like it's slightly better than some of the bigger Macro-lagers, but not enough even to really distinguish itself to me. If it were pizza it'd be Dominoes.

My mate lives near a place that sells some nice beer. Forgot that I gave him £20 a couple of months ago to buy me some.

Shows up today with a haul that was definitely more than £20 in price considering the premiums some of these get marked up.

Flying Dog Woody Creek Belgian White
Flying Dog Easy IPA
Beavertown Gamma Ray APA
Brewdog Jackhammer
Brewdog Zeitgeist
6 degrees north Hopocrisy
Windswept Wolf
Fyne Ales Scotland Highlander
Fyne Ales Scotland Nice White IPA
Fyne Ales Scotland Naughty Black Ale

And a Spey Valley Brewery glass

I'm going to have to get him drunk tonight now.

I was going to tone down the rampant alcoholism in January as well.

injurai

Banned
I have a good friend who has no beer taste. He usually buys mostly Yuengling. Finds my craft beers to be excessive and weird. I finally convinced him that it's worth learning up on beers so you can shop for what you like. But now that he has a few beers he likes, he really doesn't deviate.

Sometimes the macro breweries just suite people better.

Garryk

Was out in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and had my first taste of Delirium Noel. Considering it was a 10% ABV beer it went down very smoothly. I called it quits after two though.

Was very surprised to find my local liquor store had it in stock but it was $20 for 4 11oz bottles.

HiResDes

Was out in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and had my first taste of Delirium Noel. Considering it was a 10% ABV beer it went down very smoothly. I called it quits after two though.

Was very surprised to find my local liquor store had it in stock but it was $20 for 4 11oz bottles.
I'm not sure it makes it out there, but you should check out Goose Islands Matilda as a cheaper alternative. Also Allagash has a few good Belgian pales with a similar taste.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I had yuengling for the first time today and I loved it. Now, I know next to nothing about beer, but that's the best beer I've ever had.
Cool. I'm not even being snarky. Yuengling was basically my gateway beer from macrobrews to craft beers. Even now, it's my go-to beer if I'm at a place that doesn't serve crafts.

Top Bottom