• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Oh man, that stuff is the best. Last year Lagunitas had something called Brown Shugga Substitute or something like that, and from reading the label, it sounded like they had lost the recipe or something. It tasted worse and had less alcohol.

This year, the real Brown Shugga is back and as good as I remember it. I have no idea how the recovered the recipe.

Edit: I looked it up. The substitute was called "Lagunitas Sucks". Whole story here:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/74986/

Oh, and for the 9.9% Brown Shugga, I really have to consciously remind myself that this is a 2 for 1 beer... need to drink half as many or I will get blitzed.

You shut your mouth, Sucks is way better than Brown Shugga. I shed no tears when it replaced Brown Shugga a few years ago.

t-ramp

Yeah, I had my first Brown Shugga last night and didn't like it all that much. We also just got Sucks (quart bottles) and Hairy Eyeball, so hopefully I'll like those a bit more. I wasn't so impressed with Sumpin Sumpin and the plain IPA either, but Sumpin Extra, Imperial Red, and Hop Stoopid are great.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I feel really blessed with the availability of beer in Seattle and Washington state in general.

Less than a mile from my house I've got Toronado, Uber Tavern, Burgundian, Latona Pub and Elysian Tangletown. Expand another couple miles and I can get to Big Time Brewery, Fremont Brewing Company, Brouwers, Sixgill and Bottleworks.
Like Jarnet said, we have good distribution down here, and we can generally walk into Total Wine and have a damn good selection to choose from, but yeah, we don't have a lot of breweries. Funky Buddha opened last year, and we have a few brewery-affiliated taphouses, but it's nothing like Seattle when it comes to getting stuff on draft, unfortunately.

Sucks is great, Brown Shuggah is great, Little Sumpin Extra is great...Lagunitas are dem boyz.
And cheap. Always reliable, easily found, and relatively inexpensive. They don't make anything crazy or crazy rare, but are easy to get and always make me happy.

Speaking of that, I do need some Sucks this season.

Drpunch

Neo Member
I'm in the camp that Sucks > Brown Shugga. I love that we get those huge bottles now, they're fucking brilliant. I like both though. Lagunitas always does well up here in Canada.

Yeah I prefer Sucks too. Brown Shugga was directly responsible for a couple of especially bad hangovers in college ugh. The 32oz bottles are great but I really prefer the 6-packs, even though it's so tasty/easy to drink that a quart is nothing it's still nice not to feel obligated to finish it.

Picked up an Allagash Farm to Face today, gonna drink it this weekend. I fucking love peaches so I'm really excited to try this.

overcast

And cheap. Always reliable, easily found, and relatively inexpensive. They don't make anything crazy or crazy rare, but are easy to get and always make me happy.

Speaking of that, I do need some Sucks this season.
Yeah, they've been my favorite brewery I think. Whenever I get overwhelmed I grab one of their beers.

Need to try sucks.

ShinAmano

Well I will get on putting together a list of local breweries in the Richmond Area and some of the distributions available. Also can post a list of my collection and wants.

On a side note...a new pub opens near me on Thursday and they have taps of KBS, BA Stone IRS 2008 and BA Ten Fidy...and are filling growlers.

codhand

Well I will get on putting together a list of local breweries in the Richmond Area and some of the distributions available. Also can post a list of my collection and wants.

On a side note...a new pub opens near me on Thursday and they have taps of KBS, BA Stone IRS 2008 and BA Ten Fidy...and are filling growlers.

damn that would be a tough growler without a crew!

Socreges

Banned
I'm in the camp that Sucks > Brown Shugga. I love that we get those huge bottles now, they're fucking brilliant. I like both though. Lagunitas always does well up here in Canada.
Correct me if I'm wrong but we don't get Sucks up here in the big bottles...? I've only seen it in a 6-pack as a one-off order. In BC.

Sounds like they know how to get people in the door. It'd work on me.

Jesus. Well, there is no kill like overkill.

Watcher

Cool cant wait to try some brews that arent readily available in my area. Im in SoCal so i have easy access to stone, lagunitas, alesmith and many more i cant name off the top of my head. Ill have to search for a list of breweries in the area

Drpunch

Neo Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but we don't get Sucks up here in the big bottles...? I've only seen it in a 6-pack as a one-off order. In BC.

We do in Edmonton at least. They came out pretty recently out here and have been in consistently in stock since. I'm sure you'll get them eventually.

I grabbed two bottles of Avery's Bourbon Barrel Aged Tweak today. I had never had it, and the ratings were really high on Beer Advocate, so I gave it a shot. At $13 a bottle it better be good.

Well, it was very good, but not $13 a bottle good. I was expecting a bit stronger flavor from the coffee and bourbon, but in the end it tasted more boozy than I wanted. It did improve as the night went on though and it warmed up. That brought out the coffee and bourbon much more.

Maybe I should go get the last bottles of Beer Geek Brunch Weasel and Au Mas Cafe Jesus.

Seth C

I grabbed two bottles of Avery's Bourbon Barrel Aged Tweak today. I had never had it, and the ratings were really high on Beer Advocate, so I gave it a shot. At $13 a bottle it better be good.

Well, it was very good, but not $13 a bottle good. I was expecting a bit stronger flavor from the coffee and bourbon, but in the end it tasted more boozy than I wanted. It did improve as the night went on though and it warmed up. That brought out the coffee and bourbon much more.

Maybe I should go get the last bottles of Beer Geek Brunch Weasel and Au Mas Cafe Jesus.

Wish my stores had some Weasel. I'd buy it. They have plenty of the Vaesel blend though.

Wish my stores had some Weasel. I'd buy it. They have plenty of the Vaesel blend though.

The Weasel was so damn good, but it is pricey. I still need to get Brown Shugga and Sucks this season though.

And earlier today at Mellow Mushroom they had some awesome stuff on tap. Breakfast Stout, Christmas Bomb, St. Bernardus Christmas.

And I know they are getting Abyss on tap soon. As is Liquor Barn.

Drpunch

Neo Member

I remember having to work out in some really small town for a bit so I visited the local liquor store. As you would expect, typical piss lagers and whatnot. However, a literal diamond in the rough, Beer Geek Brunch Calvados Edition for $2.50 a bottle.

I bought it all. :)

PG2G

Cool cant wait to try some brews that arent readily available in my area. Im in SoCal so i have easy access to stone, lagunitas, alesmith and many more i cant name off the top of my head. Ill have to search for a list of breweries in the area

Where in SoCal are you?

codhand

Double Barrel Jesus > Barrel Aged Biscotti Break > Even More Jesus Bourbon Barrel Aged

And I'd drink them all fresh, rather than cellar them.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
The Weasel was so damn good, but it is pricey. I still need to get Brown Shugga and Sucks this season though.

And earlier today at Mellow Mushroom they had some awesome stuff on tap. Breakfast Stout, Christmas Bomb, St. Bernardus Christmas.

And I know they are getting Abyss on tap soon. As is Liquor Barn.

let me know if Abyss goes on, i'd drive up for that!

10848683_774481019299426_303137323411063769_o.jpg

Looks like Abyss and others will be the featured beers at Steal the Pint night at Mellow Mushroom this Thursday.

ShinAmano

So picked up today:
Hardywood Christmas Morning (coffee gingerbread stout)
Alewerks Jubilee (ale aged in rum barrel)
Alewerks Bourbon Barrel Porter
Alewerks Grand Illumination (Barley wine)
Stone Master of Disguise (golden stout)
Terrapin French Toasted Wake and Bake

Today was a GOOD day! :)

Seth C

10848683_774481019299426_303137323411063769_o.jpg

Looks like Abyss and others will be the featured beers at Steal the Pint night at Mellow Mushroom this Thursday.

It's frustrating how pedestrian the Mellow Mushroom's tap list is here in comparison. I almost never go because it's the same old typical stuff absolutely all the time. They never have special beer events and even if they did I'm not sure how I'd find out about them. For example, where did that list you posted come from? Looks like Facebook. The lat beer special ours posted included Blue Moon, for crying out loud. Their Beer Menu hasn't been updated since 2013.

Sure, there are plenty of other options, especially with Pazzo's right across the street, but the more, the merrier. Also now that the ownership at Pazzo's also have a beer centric gastropub and another beer specific bar, most of the rarer offerings seem to end up at those locations (and sometimes I want rare beer with my pizza).

It's frustrating how pedestrian the Mellow Mushroom's tap list is here in comparison. I almost never go because it's the same old typical stuff absolutely all the time. They never have special beer events and even if they did I'm not sure how I'd find out about them. For example, where did that list you posted come from? Looks like Facebook. The lat beer special ours posted included Blue Moon, for crying out loud. Their Beer Menu hasn't been updated since 2013.

Sure, there are plenty of other options, especially with Pazzo's right across the street, but the more, the merrier. Also now that the ownership at Pazzo's also have a beer centric gastropub and another beer specific bar, most of the rarer offerings seem to end up at those locations (and sometimes I want rare beer with my pizza).

It is from the Bowling Green Mellow Mushroom Facebook page. They have a beer menu on there, but it is slightly off. They still list Choklat, but that is gone and replaced with Breakfast Stout. Their Facebook page doesn't list Christmas Bomb on tap either, which they just tapped yesterday morning.

This one does have an awesome rotation since I got here. This month in particular seems great. Lost River Pizza in town is the only one here that can compete with their tap list.

http://lostriverpizza.com

While the beer list at both places is divine, their food is average. Nothing really bad there, but nothing that is great either. And that is bad for me, because if they had great food it would be easier to convince my wife to go. Although at Mellow they apparently make a great margarita according to my wife.

codhand

We are honored to announce that Mahou San Miguel (Mahou), Spain’s most prominent and oldest brewer, will be our new partner. Mahou is a 125-year-old seventh-generation-family-owned brewery based in Madrid, and they are coming on as a minority investor in Founders.

Seth C

It is from the Bowling Green Mellow Mushroom Facebook page. They have a beer menu on there, but it is slightly off. They still list Choklat, but that is gone and replaced with Breakfast Stout. Their Facebook page doesn't list Christmas Bomb on tap either, which they just tapped yesterday morning.

This one does have an awesome rotation since I got here. This month in particular seems great. Lost River Pizza in town is the only one here that can compete with their tap list.

http://lostriverpizza.com

While the beer list at both places is divine, their food is average. Nothing really bad there, but nothing that is great either. And that is bad for me, because if they had great food it would be easier to convince my wife to go. Although at Mellow they apparently make a great margarita according to my wife.

Meanwhile my local Mellow Mushroom has no beer list online anywhere at all, and never has!

Helpful site for comparing distribution in various states. Can compare states head-to-head to compare what is shared and not. Useful trading tool.

http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/index.html

It is cute and all when beer bottles are sealed with foil or wax because it looks fancy, but it is such a pain in the ass to remove it to open the bottle.

Having the really expensive bottle of The Abyss that I grabbed earlier. While the beer is really, really damn good, I can't help but feel disappointed in it. With the ridiculous price of it and the rarity, I was expecting something life changing. In the end, it is just a really smooth imperial stout with nothing truly unique to the taste.

Maybe if I get another and age it, but I don't think I will.

And on a different note, a question of etiquette on Untappd. If you drink a bomber of something, like say, The Abyss, do you do only one check in because you only opened one bottle, or do you do two because it is really two glasses worth? I have usually stuck to one check in per bottle opening, but I am curious how others feel on that.

Is that really accurate, I looked it and it made it sound like Ohio was this awesome state for beer.
It can be very regional. Illinois doesn't look bad, even discounting the stuff listed as limited distribution, but half the stuff they list doesn't get out of the Chicago and St. Louis suburbs, regardless.

And on a different note, a question of etiquette on Untappd. If you drink a bomber of something, like say, The Abyss, do you do only one check in because you only opened one bottle, or do you do two because it is really two glasses worth? I have usually stuck to one check in per bottle opening, but I am curious how others feel on that.
Whatever makes you feel good. I'll typically check in anything I get a reasonable impression of. So if I get a couple of ounces at a tasting, that's good enough for a check-in. I've also checked in a 750 twice in a row on account of it being two beer's-worth. But I also had something to say about how it changed as it warmed up. For something that's a yearly seasonal thing, I'd feel bad about checking it in as two different beers (the base beer and the dated variant), but it's not like there are rules.

It can be very regional. Illinois doesn't look bad, even discounting the stuff listed as limited distribution, but half the stuff they list doesn't get out of the Chicago and St. Louis suburbs, regardless.

Whatever makes you feel good. I'll typically check in anything I get a reasonable impression of. So if I get a couple of ounces at a tasting, that's good enough for a check-in. I've also checked in a 750 twice in a row on account of it being two beer's-worth. But I also had something to say about how it changed as it warmed up. For something that's a yearly seasonal thing, I'd feel bad about checking it in as two different beers (the base beer and the dated variant), but it's not like there are rules.

I have checked in with just samples. Hell, I did it today. But I have never checked in a 750ml twice, even if I have been tempted.
I will admit that I have padded the stats when checking in seasonal stuff with both the regular and the dated variant, but only when it is two different bottles. It isn't really lying, but it is padding the stats.
Of course, there are times where it is legit padding, like having an aged bottle and then a recent one.

injurai

Banned
Anyone hear experiment with mixed drinks using beer? I've only really ever had Black Velvet. Wondering if anything else is worth experimenting with?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Anyone hear experiment with mixed drinks using beer? I've only really ever had Black Velvet. Wondering if anything else is worth experimenting with?

I had a shot of whiskey topped with hot, unfermented beer wort once. maybe a 3 or 4/1 ratio. it was incredible

Top Bottom