• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

fijim

Banned
It's not rare. $13 bombers at Costco, yo.

Yeah it is not rare at all on the west coast. In other places it has been super hyped because we don't get as much. Last year was the first year we got Abyss in Chicago and people hyped it up big time (as well as the Black Butte Anniversary beer) and both sold out really fast, this year it is much easier to get and Black Butte XXVI is still on the shelves in large quantities months later.

codhand

And on a different note, a question of etiquette on Untappd. If you drink a bomber of something, like say, The Abyss, do you do only one check in because you only opened one bottle, or do you do two because it is really two glasses worth? I have usually stuck to one check in per bottle opening, but I am curious how others feel on that.

generally one, but sheeeit with Xyauyu or the new Lune, Terre beers from Baladin or any other "still" beers such as Utopia, I check in every god damn glass I drink from one bottle.

and yeah you shoulda followed the Abyss suggestion to wait a year to drink that one. One of the only beers that features an Enjoy After date.

Seth C

Anyone hear experiment with mixed drinks using beer? I've only really ever had Black Velvet. Wondering if anything else is worth experimenting with?

If you want a damned fine drink take an IPA you like and reduce it to a syrup and use that in your cocktails.

t-ramp

And on a different note, a question of etiquette on Untappd. If you drink a bomber of something, like say, The Abyss, do you do only one check in because you only opened one bottle, or do you do two because it is really two glasses worth? I have usually stuck to one check in per bottle opening, but I am curious how others feel on that.
I wondered about this back when I started using Untappd, but since then I've just realized there's not much point checking in any given beer multiple times. So, if I pick up a six pack of something new, I'll just check that beer once. If I buy that same beer again a few months later, I might check it in again, or maybe not. Or, if I bring something out of my "cellar", there's a chance I'll check it in.

Regarding years of a certain beer, I don't think I'm always consistent between choosing the specific year or the regular entry. But, I'm not going to check in, say, a 2013 Bigfoot to both the 2013 and regular entries, since that seems like cheating.

I'll check in a container (bottle, can, growler, etc.) once, seems silly to check in a bomber twice just because you refilled your glass.

And only one check-in per drink. Unless it's a super old bottle, I normally check in the regular listing the first time and then do year based on the vintage if appropriate. I really only think the year is appropriate for certain seasonals and beers that age over time. IPAs and pales with year listings is weird.

fijim

Banned
Yeah, for me if it is the current year, and it is the first time I am having that beer, I just check into the listing with no year.

If I am drinking an older vintage, I will usually put the year for reference b/c I think it is good to keep track of that, especially if the bottle is old and has fallen off, the rating might not be representative of the fresh beer.

I'll check in a container (bottle, can, growler, etc.) once, seems silly to check in a bomber twice just because you refilled your glass.

And only one check-in per drink. Unless it's a super old bottle, I normally check in the regular listing the first time and then do year based on the vintage if appropriate. I really only think the year is appropriate for certain seasonals and beers that age over time. IPAs and pales with year listings is weird.
If it is a change then I would do the year. For instance, Sucks is different this year than last just by judging the ABV. So something is different in the recipe.

As for others not checking in every bottle of a six pack, there are badges for having a beer so many times in a row or certain time period.

Beer GAF, I had a last minute trip to Seattle that has me here today and most of the day Saturday (4:30 pm flight back to Omaha). Are there any must have brews I should find while I'm here?

I have limited access to a car and will probably be taking some shuttle from Marysville to the convention center area Saturday morning to hang out around Pikes Market until I need to be at the airport.

Hot scotchy, yo. It's a homebrewer tradition. Run a glass of wort out of your mash tun, add a shot of your brown liquor of choice and enjoy!

Every brewday in the winter I make a hot scotchy to consume while recirculating the sodium percarbonate for cleaning. I think I love a hoppy scotchy the best.

Beer GAF, I had a last minute trip to Seattle that has me here today and most of the day Saturday (4:30 pm flight back to Omaha). Are there any must have brews I should find while I'm here?

I have limited access to a car and will probably be taking some shuttle from Marysville to the convention center area Saturday morning to hang out around Pikes Market until I need to be at the airport.

Not much out in Marysville.

When you're duwntown, Go to Collins Pub, Pine Box and/or Elysian Tangletown. Pine Box has Holy Mountain's Gose on tap.

Also, go to Pear Delicatessen in Pike Place Market. Get a bottle of Fremont Bourbon Abominable to take home.

PG2G

Bell’s beer will be available in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and Ventura counties beginning Feb. 23, 2015 in addition to Imperial and San Diego counties.

Yaaaay, now can we get some Founders love too?

When you're duwntown, Go to Collins Pub, Pine Box and/or Elysian Tangletown. Pine Box has Holy Mountain's Gose on tap.

Also, go to Pear Delicatessen in Pike Place Market. Get a bottle of Fremont Bourbon Abominable to take home.

Thanks for the tips. We stopped at Ram (or something like that) by the outlet mall last night and I had a Buttface Amber that was decent. Wish I had more time to explore, but I need to get back home for our family Christmas.

Thanks for the tips. We stopped at Ram (or something like that) by the outlet mall last night and I had a Buttface Amber that was decent. Wish I had more time to explore, but I need to get back home for our family Christmas.

Pine Box has their taplist online at www.pineboxbar.com, but if you make it Collins Pub be on the lookout for Boneyard or Barley Browns. Amazing IPAs.

And it's Elysian Fields (by the stadiums). Tangletown is by me in Green Lake. Whoops. Same beer, different location.

Went to Mellow Mushroom for lunch hoping they had some Abyss or Mirror Mirror left from pint night last night. To my disappointment, they didn't even have them on tap, just bottles. Same for last night. So I didn't miss anything particularly special then since I can still get the bottles elsewhere in town.

And if for some reason you can get to North Seattle, I'll be at Fremont Brewing and Reuben's Brews tomorrow afternoon for a little while. Doing some family gift exchange shopping and pint drinking.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Went to Mellow Mushroom for lunch hoping they had some Abyss or Mirror Mirror left from pint night last night. To my disappointment, they didn't even have them on tap, just bottles. Same for last night. So I didn't miss anything particularly special then since I can still get the bottles elsewhere in town.

yea, you didnt miss much. bottles was a bit of a bummer, especially when theres a 'best after' date on the thing a year away. they were serving it way too cold too. found some decent stuff at bottle shops around town and having christmas bomb and st bernadus christmas made it worth the trip though.

And if for some reason you can get to North Seattle, I'll be at Fremont Brewing and Reuben's Brews tomorrow afternoon for a little while. Doing some family gift exchange shopping and pint drinking.

Probably not with a 4:30 flight, but thanks for the offer and previous suggestions. I'm hopeful I can check some of those out before I need to head back.

Went out to the store to pick up an ounce of Amarillo and a bottle of rye for a Christmas gift. Found out we just this week got Le Terroir in. Distribution around here is so weird.

Seth C

Went out to the store to pick up an ounce of Amarillo and a bottle of rye for a Christmas gift. Found out we just this week got Le Terroir in. Distribution around here is so weird.

I went to Lowes to pick up some hose fitting for the wort chiller then stopped in tot buy 25 lbs of grain and some hops at the local homebrew store. It's also a bar so I had a beer. Then I went to a brewery to pick up some coffee beans (because they roast them in the building) and that's where things went south. Seven hours later I made it home. Oops.

I went to Lowes to pick up some hose fitting for the wort chiller then stopped in tot buy 25 lbs of grain and some hops at the local homebrew store. It's also a bar so I had a beer. Then I went to a brewery to pick up some coffee beans (because they roast them in the building) and that's where things went south. Seven hours later I made it home. Oops.

Are you married? Genuinely curious, because I am wondering how to explain being stuck drinking beer all day and not getting weird looks from my wife.

Seth C

Are you married? Genuinely curious, because I am wondering how to explain being stuck drinking beer all day and not getting weird looks from my wife.

I am not, which is why I had Taco Bell to make up for missing both lunch and dinner (which were replaced by beer). But my god those coffee beans smell good. To be fair, so does the 25 pounds of grain going in that beer tomorrow.

I am not, which is why I had Taco Bell to make up for missing both lunch and dinner (which were replaced by beer). But my god those coffee beans smell good. To be fair, so does the 25 pounds of grain going in that beer tomorrow.

I do go to places and get beer with lunch. My wife probably knows, but knows I am responsible enough not to have a ton.

And jealous about the coffee. I just spied a tiny local coffee shop today when stopping at the computer repair place. I must investigate.

Seth C

I do go to places and get beer with lunch. My wife probably knows, but knows I am responsible enough not to have a ton.

And jealous about the coffee. I just spied a tiny local coffee shop today when stopping at the computer repair place. I must investigate.

I didn't have that much beer over the course of the day. Four or five pints I suppose. This is the place I got the beans from. Judging by the reviews I'm in for a treat (but distantmantra won't like one of those reviews).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/magic-beans-coffee-roasters-lexington

I didn't have that much beer over the course of the day. Four or five pints I suppose. This is the place I got the beans from. Judging by the reviews I'm in for a treat (but distantmantra won't like one of those reviews).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/magic-beans-coffee-roasters-lexington

The most I will have at lunch is a pint or two depending on their serving sizes. After dinner though, well it depends what I have at home or where we go. It is very rare if I have five pints in a day though.

Seth C

The most I will have at lunch is a pint or two depending on their serving sizes. After dinner though, well it depends what I have at home or where we go. It is very rare if I have five pints in a day though.

Well keep in mind I didn't start drinking until about 4. It's just that I skipped lunch because I was working on other things, then missed dinner. The 5 beers were over the course of 6=7 hours while talking with friends.

codhand

Well, it was nice knowing you all.

Moldiv_1419111004808.jpg

andylsun

Hot scotchy, yo. It's a homebrewer tradition. Run a glass of wort out of your mash tun, add a shot of your brown liquor of choice and enjoy!

Damn I know what I'm doing next brew day. Never heard of this before. Making a SMASH Pilsner in a week or so to baptize my new grain mill and 25kg sack of german pilsner

Edit: Seth, that's a 10 gal brew with 25lb of grain, correct? Or are you brewing something insane

Watcher

Hey beer gaf I was hoping some of the more illustrious beer connoisseurs here could recommend me a great stout. I had an Abyss 2 weeks ago and it was amazing. Unfortunately i cant find anymore so im looking for similar beers. Thanks. I really enjoyed how malty the Abyss was if that helps

Hey beer gaf I was hoping some of the more illustrious beer connoisseurs here could recommend me a great stout. I had an Abyss 2 weeks ago and it was amazing. Unfortunately i cant find anymore so im looking for similar beers. Thanks. I really enjoyed how malty the Abyss was if that helps

Where do you live?

Linius

So I went to the Jopen Church in Haarlem (The Netherlands) today. Great atmosphere there, and fantastic beer of course.

Not my pic, but to give y'all an idea. It's got that brewery smell, just perfect.

Linius

I'm headed to the Netherlands again this summer. Will have to check it out before going to the beer wasteland that is Friesland.

Friesland, man, we don't even count that as The Netherlands :p

If you're coming here I'd surely recommend a visit. In the summer they have big terrace outside too. Brewery 'T IJ in Amsterdam is good too, close to Haarlem. Also Texel, one of the islands in the north. They organise small tours in their brewery ending with some tasting. Love their beer.

I've been going to Friesland for nearly 30 years now. Very close family friends live up there and I honestly love the vibe. The beer sucks, though.

I always stock up in Amsterdam before heading up there.

Working on Christmas Day beer list.

So far it's:

2012 3F Oude Geueze
2014 Abraxas
Propolis Cedar Imperial Saison

Might pull the trigger on my 2011 Lou Pepe Kriek...

Ended up at Pikes Brewing for a couple pints and then made my way to Pine Box. Didn't go for the Abominable as I didn't check any bags.

Pikes - Had the Auld Acquaintance and Wolf in the Woods. Auld is a nice winter beer with a number of spices and good flavor. It was served with a thinly sliced candied orange which went well with the beer. Wolf in the Woods was really good. Nice smooth hoppy flavor with a very floral taste as well.

Pine Box - Loved this place and wish I had more time there. First beer was easily the best beer of the trip. It was Cucumber Crush from 10 Barrel. I had a cucumber beer in Boulder a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it well enough, but this one throws in a nice sour flavor that pairs perfectly with the cucumber. It was awesome. Next beer was Jolly Roger from Maritime which was another solid seasonal.

Finished up with an Amber from Alaskan Brewing at the airport which I thought was pretty meh.

I also enjoyed some Audible Ale from Red hook and Brr Seasonal from Widmer last night. Both were pretty good.

Really wished I had more time in Seattle.

Glad you had the Cucumber Crush berlinerweisse. Everything else you had is pretty much middle of the road meh beers, but hey, it's all stuff you can't get back in Nebraska.

Top Bottom