• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Capra

Has anyone here ever known someone with an alcohol allergy? I only started drinking a couple months ago and a few weeks back I woke up with a really ugly but otherwise manageable rash on my... everywhere. Drank again after finals, noticed it reappear almost immediately. Tried drinking less a few days later, but it still came back. I hoped it was just something specific to the beer I was drinking, but after a few glasses of wine the other day it happened again. So I guess I must be allergic to alcohol in general.

Obviously I'll go see a doctor about it sometime and I'll hold off on drinking until then but I'm hoping it's something I can manage without going cold-turkey. You guys ever had or known anyone with symptoms like this?

What I drank this past new year's eve and day:

B6PRDBBCcAEiQ4S.jpg

Jarnet87

Has anyone here ever known someone with an alcohol allergy? I only started drinking a couple months ago and a few weeks back I woke up with a really ugly but otherwise manageable rash on my... everywhere. Drank again after finals, noticed it reappear almost immediately. Tried drinking less a few days later, but it still came back. I hoped it was just something specific to the beer I was drinking, but after a few glasses of wine the other day it happened again. So I guess I must be allergic to alcohol in general.

Obviously I'll go see a doctor about it sometime and I'll hold off on drinking until then but I'm hoping it's something I can manage without going cold-turkey. You guys ever had or known anyone with symptoms like this?

Just from briefly looking it up it sounds like Alcohol Intolerance. Could be one of the common ingredients that is causing it. Definitely need to get it checked out.

Capra

^^^ Yeah, I looked it up immediately the first time it happened. I just wasn't as sure it was a reaction to the alcohol itself until the other day.

Ugh, I mean to be completely honest it might be a good thing if I just didn't drink but, well... It would just suck if that couple of months was all I got.

Lotto

Bought Speedway Stout yesterday after hearing good things from a friend.

Excited, just have to find the right time to drink it.

Not big on stouts myself but the BBA Speedway Stout is probably my favorite stout ever. The aroma alone is just amazing. I've also had their Jamaican Blue and Vietnamese Coffee versions as well which are just fantastic. Enjoy it man, and if you could, try grabbing a bottle of the BBA one!

Also visited The Bruery tasting room yesterday for the first time. Their bottles are notoriously expensive so I was excited to try some of their stuff since they would have tasters for cheap. I've never been to a brewery that didn't have at least one IPA so it came to me as a surprise when there wasn't a single one here. I had a flight of 5 of their beers, all of them pretty interesting. They seem to be really experimental, flavors like adding blueberry and grapes. Their So Happens It's Tuesday is probably my favorite from them. Last time a friend of mine was able to fill a growler of it but unfortunately it was taken off their growler fill list for some reason so we ended up just filling it with BBA Smoking Wood which is still really good.

Also visited The Bruery tasting room yesterday for the first time. Their bottles are notoriously expensive so I was excited to try some of their stuff since they would have tasters for cheap. I've never been to a brewery that didn't have at least one IPA so it came to me as a surprise when there wasn't a single one here. I had a flight of 5 of their beers, all of them pretty interesting. They seem to be really experimental, flavors like adding blueberry and grapes. Their So Happens It's Tuesday is probably my favorite from them. Last time a friend of mine was able to fill a growler of it but unfortunately it was taken off their growler fill list for some reason so we ended up just filling it with BBA Smoking Wood which is still really good.

Did they have their Humulus lager? Better than most IPAs I've had, wish they'd can it or something!

If anyone plans on being around Van Nuys, hit up MacLeod's for some nice cask beers. Trying to help spread the word about them because I appreciate what they're doing (and it's good). I'd likely be there a bunch if I lived closer but for now I save them for my trips up to LA.

PG2G

If anyone plans on being around Van Nuys, hit up MacLeod's for some nice cask beers. Trying to help spread the word about them because I appreciate what they're doing (and it's good). I'd likely be there a bunch if I lived closer but for now I save them for my trips up to LA.

I've heard about them but haven't made it out yet. The styles they are doing don't quite pull me in

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
NYE bottle share was pretty good, highlights:

Jester King Atrial Rubicite
Barrel Aged Rasputin
Wiseacre Astronaut Status
Lost Abbey Track #8
Lost Abbey Red Poppy (thanks to scissorfight!)
Avery Tweak
BCBS 2013
Abyss 2013
3 Floyds BackMasking, Dreadnaught, Permanent Funeral, Space Station
Wicked Weed Serenity
Cantillon Iris

Track 8 won the night for me. Incredible. Tweak was up there too. Was awesome to finally have Atrial Rubicite as well.

I've heard about them but haven't made it out yet. The styles they are doing don't quite pull me in

Yeah I live pretty close to it and still haven't checked it out either. I appreciate having a brewery that's an even closer drive than, say, Golden Road but the prospect of a pint of ESB or mild hasn't really motivated me to head to Van Nuys yet. Plus I got my fill of cask ales in London last year for a couple weeks but maybe I'll feel nostalgic and make it out there sometime.

We've got a English real ale only brewery in Seattle called Machine House. Owned and run by a Brit, too. Good stuff but I've gotta be in the right mood for cask beer.

Lotto

Did they have their Humulus lager? Better than most IPAs I've had, wish they'd can it or something!

I think they did but I didn't get a taster of it :S They had so much other stuff to offer that I wanted to try. Maybe next time, I definitely would want to go back when I head up north again.

NYE bottle share was pretty good, highlights:

Jester King Atrial Rubicite
Barrel Aged Rasputin
Wiseacre Astronaut Status
Lost Abbey Track #8
Lost Abbey Red Poppy (thanks to scissorfight!)
Avery Tweak
BCBS 2013
Abyss 2013
3 Floyds BackMasking, Dreadnaught, Permanent Funeral, Space Station
Wicked Weed Serenity
Cantillon Iris

Track 8 won the night for me. Incredible. Tweak was up there too. Was awesome to finally have Atrial Rubicite as well.

Track 8 is godlike. That oatmeal raisin is just so damn nice. I have a bottle in my cupboard right now. I hate how it's like $17 though.

Just got back from a tour of New Belgium (the third I've been on). It's a free tour that lasts an hour and a half and you get to ride a spiral slide, visit the forest (the largest collection of sour beers fermenting in N. America) and get to sample five beers (Ted's ale, La Folie, Shift, Super IPA, Fat Tire and Wild^2 Dubbel). I am feeling extremely content. I'm glad my buddy scheduled the trip down to Fort Collins for his old lady's birthday.

After my visit to Portland, I feel like I can say that Fort Collins houses the best collection of breweries in the USA per capita. I'll throw on the flame suit and let y'all disagree, but after going to GABF since the mid-90's, visiting San Diego a couple years ago, living in Eugene, visiting Seattle last winter and Portland this year, Fort Collins is extremely hard to beat.

Just got back from a tour of New Belgium (the third I've been on). It's a free tour that lasts an hour and a half and you get to ride a spiral slide, visit the forest (the largest collection of sour beers fermenting in N. America) and get to sample five beers (Ted's ale, La Folie, Shift, Super IPA, Fat Tire and Wild^2 Dubbel). I am feeling extremely content. I'm glad my buddy scheduled the trip down to Fort Collins for his old lady's birthday.

After my visit to Portland, I feel like I can say that Fort Collins houses the best collection of breweries in the USA per capita. I'll throw on the flame suit and let y'all disagree, but after going to GABF since the mid-90's, visiting San Diego a couple years ago, living in Eugene, visiting Seattle last winter and Portland this year, Fort Collins is extremely hard to beat.

You been to Bend? If we're talking per capita id have to go with Bend. Deschutes, Crux, Boneyard, Silver Moon, Bend Brewing, Ale Apothecary, 10 Barrel, Rat Hole, etc.

You been to Bend? If we're talking per capita id have to go with Bend. Deschutes, Crux, Boneyard, Silver Moon, Bend Brewing, Ale Apothecary, 10 Barrel, Rat Hole, etc.

Yep, when I lived in Eugene (after putting in many miles of vertical elevation on Bachelor with the U of O Snowboard Team) and occasionally when I go home to visit family in Eastern Oregon. I love Ale Apothecary (I've mentioned them a bunch of times in this thread. Paul makes my favorite beers in the States and is an extremely kind man.), Boneyard is delicious, Deschutes is rightfully an institution, Crux is good and Bend Brewing is pretty tasty. I don't remember tasting Silver Moon, 10 Barrel and Rat Hole, so they could (and probably are) quite amazing. I still give the edge to the FC.

I won't go down the list of Fort Collins breweries, but collectively the town has the best beer in the USA (even though Ale Apothecary is America's best brewery) in regards to variety, overall quality and beer culture.

Another great beer town is Durango. When I lived in the 4 Corners (Cortez), it was always fun to stop and taste some great beers up there.

Not going to compare it to anything, but Fort Collins is indeed amazing. We've hung out there for a day over the last two Thanksgiving weekends and with the sole intent of checking out as many breweries as we could. Hardly a bad one in the bunch (Ft. Collins Brewing being the exception). New Belgium remains the best tour I've been on.

Oregon is absolutely on my list for checking out, but sadly it'll require more time and money as it isn't an easy 8 hour drive away.

Edit- spent a day in Boulder as well and would recommend checking out that town as well.

The only Rogue I have tried is their Imperial Stout, and it was pretty nice. I am still frightened by their other flavors though and have not tried them.

John John Juniper is pretty good. Plus, they made a beer for my local pub. Latona Bob for the Latona Pub a couple years ago. Silk screened bombers and everything.

The beer buyer for the local liquor store said today that he heard the Stone Enjoy By 4/20/15 or whatever April date will be in both bombers and 6 packs this time. If true, that is awesome.

Now to pray that Stone does the espresso imperial stout this year.

HiResDes

Rogue has some good shit, but it's usually their most conservative offerings that I like. Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout is still wondrous to me.

fijim

Banned

This is an awesome article, really captures everything that is wrong with craft beer right now. While the term "hipster" may be overused, it really captures the attitude that craft beer fans have today. Always chasing the latest hot brewery, or hot new limited beer release and ignoring anything that sits on the shelves.

Also, what the hell is the point of "gluten-reduced" Stone IPA? Either you have an allergy to it or not?

Many people claim to be "gluten sensitive". I don't know how much I believe that, I wonder if is just another health fad placebo effect. But I can't read peoples' minds so I guess they can have their "gluten reduced" products.

I've hear this a bit, actually. The styles not really being a draw. We've created craft beer monsters! *chuckles* Seriously though, I feel a bit odd being one of the few people I know that likes going and having a pint or two of a mild or 60/ shilling and being pleased in just having a solid -to style- beer. Anyways, just thought I'd mention it in here in case some people didn't know about it. :)

I loved going up there during GABF with a driver. Though I think Funkwrks was trying to kill me with their taster pours. Gave me damn near a half glass of everything. At a certain point, it's not the inebriation that stops me, it's just that I don't have any room left!

Spiral slide is awesome by the way. Did you go on it? I was the only one in my tour group that did. :p
This is an awesome article, really captures everything that is wrong with craft beer right now. While the term "hipster" may be overused, it really captures the attitude that craft beer fans have today. Always chasing the latest hot brewery, or hot new limited beer release and ignoring anything that sits on the shelves.

[QUOTE}Also, what the hell is the point of "gluten-reduced" Stone IPA? Either you have an allergy to it or not?

Many people claim to be "gluten sensitive". I don't know how much I believe that, I wonder if is just another health fad placebo effect. But I can't read peoples' minds so I guess they can have their "gluten reduced" products.
There's actually a parts per million standard to be considered gluten free or reduced gluten. It's not as simple as does it have gluten? Yes or No. Some people are more sensitive than others though. I do know a couple of legit sufferers that can handle some of the reduced stuff. It's just kinda hard to call people out on so I ignore it unless someone gets on a horse about it.

I remember hearing Alpine was doing the gluten-reducing thing for their beers too so hey this new Stone IPA could be in some really good company.

I have nothing against Sam Adams but that article's pretty terrible. People can complain about hipsters and say things like "Your palate isn’t “sophisticated,” it’s scorched earth from the ridiculous hop-bomb West Coast IPAs. " which might have been valid points in like 2011 but that doesn't make the vast majority of their offerings any less mediocre. I respect what they've done and genuinely enjoy Boston Lager and some of their winter offerings but don't remember the last time I bought something of theirs when there are so many better local options. As terrible as the craft beer scene can be these days I'm not going to feel bad for a giant company like them that advertises on national TV and makes a killing off of hard cider.

I read the Boston magazine article this morning and thought it was a bit of a hit piece on Jim Koch, but largely accurate. Dude is kind of a victim of his own success. Sam Adams has gotten to where it is by being stable and dependable and making beers for people who want something that's a bit different from macro-lager but still not outside their comfort zone.

That's a great market and they're a fantastic evangelist in bringing people over into more interesting beers. But when you've got to put pressure on the Brewer's Association every year to raise the production ceiling for craft breweries when everyone else is brewing an order of magnitude less... yeah, maybe you've just grown yourself out of that category.

Top Bottom