• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

andylsun

I'm getting the itch to brew again and I just got a new grain mill for Christmas that I want to break in. Unfortunately, I just filled the open space in my kegerator last week, so anything I brew is going to just sit in a spare keg conditioning for a while.

With those considerations in mind, looks like it's time for an imperial stout.

I got a grain mill for Christmas and just picked up a sack of Avangard Pilsner Malt. I've made a few pilsners before that were ok, but want to go from OK to amazing. Time to practice!

Starter is ready and I want to try to go from grain to glass in 8 weeks. My previous pilsners I lagered till I thought they tasted good, but no reason why I shouldn't be able to make a 4.5% Pilsner with 1 month of lagering in a corny keg

Got a bottle of Unibroue Grand Reserve 17 tonight. Excited to try it.

Also got a couple of bottles of Founders Imperial Stout 2015 release (well, bottled 12.20.14, but just released this week) as well as the last two bottles at the shop of the 2014 release of it (bottled 12.20.13). Looking forward to comparing the two together one night.

codhand

friend: if i get this 12er of leinenkugel shandy youll help me drink it right?

me: no

actually i just gave away some shandys left at my house from a party in october, guy will drink anything, better than letting it go to waste i suppose.

tbh it's a blizzard outside, and the thought of any of the aforementioned summerish beers is not what im craving. need dem stouts!

I got a grain mill for Christmas and just picked up a sack of Avangard Pilsner Malt. I've made a few pilsners before that were ok, but want to go from OK to amazing. Time to practice!

Starter is ready and I want to try to go from grain to glass in 8 weeks. My previous pilsners I lagered till I thought they tasted good, but no reason why I shouldn't be able to make a 4.5% Pilsner with 1 month of lagering in a corny keg
Check out what is sometimes referred to as the Narziss lager method (well detailed here). If you've got reliable temperature control, you can lager pretty quickly. Also, if you're doing it in a keg, you can probably even accelerate it a bit if you've got it on gas, since higher head pressures suppress ester production in yeast.

Plenty of other uses for that malt, too. I've used near a whole sack of pilsner in the last year in Berliners and Belgians, myself.

andylsun

Check out what is sometimes referred to as the Narziss lager method (well detailed here). If you've got reliable temperature control, you can lager pretty quickly. Also, if you're doing it in a keg, you can probably even accelerate it a bit if you've got it on gas, since higher head pressures suppress ester production in yeast.

Plenty of other uses for that malt, too. I've used near a whole sack of pilsner in the last year in Berliners and Belgians, myself.

Thanks. I do use that procedure, as documented in Brewing Classic Styles (pitch below ferementation temp, let rise at 3/4 of the way through feremtation) . I've got a temperature controlled ferementation chamber, but it's also winter here in New England and my basement is at a consistent 48F.

I normally carb up *after* lagering, with the idea that it's easier to transfer from the lagering vessel while the liquid is flat. Should I be carbing up while lagering and then transfer the liquid while it's fizzy?

Also I'm not sure what the best lagering temperature is. I was lagering at 1C, but have now switched to 3C, as I believe that can be quicker (according to How to Brew), but that goes again the statement that colder is quicker on the above website.

Edit: I love belgiums and plan to brew at least some ales with this as the base malt.

Thanks. I do use that procedure, as documented in Brewing Classic Styles (pitch below ferementation temp, let rise at 3/4 of the way through feremtation) . I've got a temperature controlled ferementation chamber, but it's also winter here in New England and my basement is at a consistent 48F.

I normally carb up *after* lagering, with the idea that it's easier to transfer from the lagering vessel while the liquid is flat. Should I be carbing up while lagering and then transfer the liquid while it's fizzy?

Also I'm not sure what the best lagering temperature is. I was lagering at 1C, but have now switched to 3C, as I believe that can be quicker (according to BCS), but that goes again the statement that colder is quicker on the above website.

Edit: I love belgiums and plan to brew at least some ales with this as the base malt.
If you're using an accelerated lager fermentation schedule, your yeast are done by the time you hit the lagering step. At that point you're basically just waiting for chill haze and other cold-coagulating proteins or polyphenols to drop out. My personal experience with lagers is a bit limited, but so long as you're below a temperature to form a haze, the precise number shouldn't matter too much.

If you're lagering in your keg, it's just as easy to transfer carbed beer under CO2 pressure or even siphon through the diptube using a keg jumper. But why bother transferring? I never do. I've got really limited cold storage space so my kegerator is where I do all of my cold-crashing, briting, and conditioning. Once I chill the full keg down, I throw a little gelatin in there. Then they just sit on gas and carb up over a week or so while they clear. The first few pulls are kinda dirty as you draw all the crud off the bottom, but past that, the results are pretty good.

Bacon

Anyone have some sour recommendations? I was finally introduced to the style of beer in the past couple months and have enjoyed what I've tried, although I haven't had much so far. I'm in the northeast.

Anyone have some sour recommendations? I was finally introduced to the style of beer in the past couple months and have enjoyed what I've tried, although I haven't had much so far. I'm in the northeast.
What sours have you tried and what did you like about them? There are some big differences between something like a Flanders Red and a typical American Wild.

Irregardless, get a bottle of Petrus Aged Pale. It should be available pretty much anywhere and it's outstanding.

Bacon

What sours have you tried and what did you like about them? There are some big differences between something like a Flanders Red and a typical American Wild.

Irregardless, get a bottle of Petrus Aged Pale. It should be available pretty much anywhere and it's outstanding.

I've tried the Flander's red and American wild, i definitely preferred the red style more although I liked both.

codhand

NE sour stuff...

Hanssens
Tilquin
Boon
St. Louis Fond Tradition
Drie Fonteinen is distributed in NY

my favorite American sour brewer is Allagash, who make some great limited sours out of Maine, distributed intermittently in NE

OEC in Oxford, Connecticut

Crooked Stave just arrived in CT to shelves. They make great, palatable sours.

CT NY border, you should be hitting up Deciccos in Brewster, Armonk, or Harrison... or Total Wine in Norwalk

sheeit Des! that Panil Barrique is great, i recently opened a 2012 that was drinking dead right.

Bacon

Excellent! All these recommendations will keep me occupied for a while!

CT NY border, you should be hitting up Deciccos in Brewster, Armonk, or Harrison... or Total Wine in Norwalk

I go to Decicco's in Brewster at least once a weekend. It's the best.

codhand

Excellent! All these recommendations will keep me occupied for a while!

I go to Decicco's in Brewster at least once a weekend. It's the best.

yeah my boy vin there is cool af, and works the bar a lot, also andrew is cool too he is a family member that owns the chain, if you already go to deciccos, you're well on your way, place is probably my favorite place to buy beer ever.

Also they usually have some sour on tap, and if you go on a saturday, definitely hit up OEC on the way back home, even if it's out of the way

Bacon

yeah my boy vin there is cool af, and works the bar a lot, also andrew is cool too he is a family member that owns the chain, if you already go to deciccos, you're well on your way, place is probably my favorite place to buy beer ever.

Also they usually have some sour on tap, and if you go on a saturday, definitely hit up OEC on the way back home, even if it's out of the way

Vinny is fucking awesome, always gives great recommendations, don't think I've met Andrew yet though.

Have you tried their magherita pizzas? Ridiculously good.

Oscar Blues finally came (back?) to NE. All my CO favorites from college are finally starting to show up here. Now all I need is Avery to get back here, hopefully when their new brewery is up and running...

I feel like I've heard sours called "this year's fad" for a few years now. Hopefully American brewers will do a better job with them instead of the hasty cash crab a lot of them seem to be. Breweries dipping their toes into the sour game tend to release disgusting Flanders Reds or insanely unbalanced lactic acid bombs (sup Upland) and just slap the term "lambic" or something on them. My hope is for more berliners/gose/sour saisons in six packs that are cheap and quick to produce and more funky and complex aged stuff for limited pricier releases. Plus more and more breweries are experimenting with spontaneous fermentation which can take years to pay off so hopefully Allagash/Jester King/New Glarus/RR/Casey are paving the way for some even more delicious beer in the future.

I feel like I've heard sours called "this year's fad" for a few years now. Hopefully American brewers will do a better job with them instead of the hasty cash crab a lot of them seem to be. Breweries dipping their toes into the sour game tend to release disgusting Flanders Reds or insanely unbalanced lactic acid bombs (sup Upland) and just slap the term "lambic" or something on them. My hope is for more berliners/gose/sour saisons in six packs that are cheap and quick to produce and more funky and complex aged stuff for limited pricier releases. Plus more and more breweries are experimenting with spontaneous fermentation which can take years to pay off so hopefully Allagash/Jester King/New Glarus/RR/Casey are paving the way for some even more delicious beer in the future.

There's a very new brewery here in Seattle called Holy Mountain that is focusing on these kinds beers along with lagers. So incredibly psyched with everything I've had so far.

There's a very new brewery here in Seattle called Holy Mountain that is focusing on these kinds beers along with lagers. So incredibly psyched with everything I've had so far.

Damn that looks awesome! I'd love to try that barrel-fermented lager they posted a picture of. Plus it's a great name for a brewery, lots of fun Jodorowsky and stoner drone puns they could make lol. I really have to visit Seattle (and the PNW in general) sometime, last time I was up there I wasn't old enough to drink.

I'm really excited for Beachwood to start up their spontaneous fermentation and blending program. I realize it'll take a few years but given their track record so far I'm really optimistic.

Had a Bourbon County takeover at my local spot last night. Had Stout and Barleywine from '13 and '14, the 2014 Coffee, Vanilla Rye, Backyard Rye from last year, and a surprise inclusion with Big John from 2011. Plus the Goose Island rep brought a couple of bottles of some taproom exclusives to share with the regulars. That Grimm Vicar is pretty outstanding.

I'm actually kind of amazed that I'm not completely hungover.

Drank this last week and I forgot how much I miss this beer so much. Last time I had it was pretty much last year around this same time.

60e911b3bf6af96aec26a35423d7d20c_640x640.jpg

Loved it so much I had to get the last two bottles I could find.

I'm also going to enjoy my xmas present to myself. Bought the whole case for a whopping $15. I love my local beer warehouse.

Jarnet87

Better drink that Beer Camp quick. Most of the beers in there are pretty hoppy

I bought 2 of these beer camps and I haven't even made it through the first one. I thought it was largely underwhelming.

Went to Maple Bacon Coffee Porter (MBCP).bottle release event today at Funky Buddha. It's a coffee beer lovers dream. Really nice roasted coffee taste with hints of bacon/smokiness. Some maple taste but its more in the smell. Wish it had a bit more creamy/syrupy mouth feel to it. I'm not a big coffee guy so it was good but not worth the price tag. I'd have bought bottles just for trade bait but I'm not into the trading scene.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Finally got in here! (Damn redirects.) Was at the Funky Buddha Maple Bacon Porter event today. Lots of great stuff, including a bunch of sours. I'm going to be feeling it in the morning.

andylsun

Brew day nightmare

New barley crusher
New pils variety
New sparge technique (using a pump)

Stuck sparge from hell with a pils smash. Got about 3 gal out and it stopped. Couldn't get it going quickly and by the time I decided to stir the mash and restart I had too much water in the tun and it was too thin.

I think it was a combination of two things.

Not waiting long enough for the grain bed to settle after mashing out.
Different crush (first home crush) and probably should have had rice hulls on hand.

The good news at $1 per pound for grain is I only wasted $10 today.

Any tips for sparging with a pump? I have the mash tun tap open full to prime the pump (chigger with steel head) and a output valve on slow flow. I only drew off 2 liters for vorloof, and that probably wasnt enough.

The wort was never crystal clear even after 3 gal so I suspect the grain bed never really settled right.

Brew day nightmare

New barley crusher
New pils variety
New sparge technique (using a pump)

Stuck sparge from hell with a pils smash. Got about 3 gal out and it stopped. Couldn't get it going quickly and by the time I decided to stir the mash and restart I had too much water in the tun and it was too thin.

I think it was a combination of two things.

Not waiting long enough for the grain bed to settle after mashing out.
Different crush (first home crush) and probably should have had rice hulls on hand.

The good news at $1 per pound for grain is I only wasted $10 today.

Any tips for sparging with a pump? I have the mash tun tap open full to prime the pump (chigger with steel head) and a output valve on slow flow. I only drew off 2 liters for vorloof, and that probably wasnt enough.

The wort was never crystal clear even after 3 gal so I suspect the grain bed never really settled right.
I continuously recirculate, myself, and I don't have too many issues, but my setup is probably different. I use a RIMS tube with a little ~10 GPM solar pump. I agitate the crap out of my mash by actually sinking the return head right into the grain. So it stays pretty suspended and never really has a chance to compact. I also stick a couple big handfuls of rice hulls in with every mash and line my tun with a voile bag and drain through a bottom-opening manifold, so I'm probably overkilling it with precautions against sticking.

I kind of overdesigned it after working with a friend's setup. For anything with wheat or oats or the like, as soon as he'd run his pump, his mash would suck in against his bazooka tube and stick. It'd take two or three tries of blowing back through the tube, letting it settle, then trying the pump again before it'd flow properly.

What kind of drain are you using in your tun? What's your mill gap set to? Do you condition your grain before milling? Are you continuously circulating your sparge or just using the pump to vorlauf?

andylsun

Stainless false bottom in a 10 gal cooler tun. I don't condition the grain and the mill gap is set to whatever it came with. The store I bought it from recommended leaving the gap at what it was set to. The crush looked pretty awesome with a good amount of nice sized husk.

First time using the pump and I used it for vorloof only.

I wonder if I also had problems with the pump location? I started it below the level of the tun to prime it but once flow started, I lifted the pump so it was level with tun. I was also seeing evidence of air getting into the inlet somewhere. Going to check and tighten all my hoses before using again.

Edit: hose clips were screwdriver tight but a box driver managed to get then a lot tighter, hope that will stop air problem.

Stainless false bottom in a 10 gal cooler tun. I don't condition the grain and the mill gap is set to whatever it came with. The store I bought it from recommended leaving the gap at what it was set to. The crush looked pretty awesome with a good amount of nice sized husk.

First time using the pump and I used it for vorloof only.

I wonder if I also had problems with the pump location? I started it below the level of the tun to prime it but once flow started, I lifted the pump so it was level with tun. I was also seeing evidence of air getting into the inlet somewhere. Going to check and tighten all my hoses before using again.

Edit: hose clips were screwdriver tight but a box driver managed to get then a lot tighter, hope that will stop air problem.
Once it's primed, it shouldn't matter too much where the pump is. Though, make sure you've got your pumphead mounted properly. The outlet should be in the highest position to properly purge the line. Also, check to make sure your cooler bulkhead is good and tight. I had a barely noticeable leak in mine that wasn't enough for me to bother with until I put a pump on it and it started sucking in bubbles.

I can't imagine that's what's causing your sparge sticking issues, though. For next time, I'd probably just buy a half pound of rice hulls and throw them in there. It's the simplest and cheapest thing you can do.

andylsun

Once it's primed, it shouldn't matter too much where the pump is. Though, make sure you've got your pumphead mounted properly. The outlet should be in the highest position to properly purge the line. Also, check to make sure your cooler bulkhead is good and tight. I had a barely noticeable leak in mine that wasn't enough for me to bother with until I put a pump on it and it started sucking in bubbles.

I can't imagine that's what's causing your sparge sticking issues, though. For next time, I'd probably just buy a half pound of rice hulls and throw them in there. It's the simplest and cheapest thing you can do.

Thanks. Getting Rice Hulls today, and will be more careful with my mash out and settling of grain bed. I had my pump flat, but will move it to keep the output at the highest point.

It's been a good learning experience, as it always is whenever you change process or equipment (or both at the same time).

Thanks. Getting Rice Hulls today, and will be more careful with my mash out and settling of grain bed. I had my pump flat, but will move it to keep the output at the highest point.

It's been a good learning experience, as it always is whenever you change process or equipment (or both at the same time).
Just to be clear, this is what I mean about positioning your pump head properly. Having the pump itself below your tun helps with priming and keeps it wet if you do get any air sucking in but shouldn't matter too much overall.

Good luck on your next try.

Doing a twofer of Founder's Imperial Stout tonight. A bottle of 2014 release, and a bottle of the newly released 2015. (Well, bottled in Dec 2013 and Dec 2014, but I am going by release date and padding my Untappd numbers).

The 2015 definitely tastes sweeter and more syrupy than the 2014. It is still awesome, but I think this beer was much better with age. While the older one was less syrupy, it feels heavier as you drink it. A bit more bitter and bold too.

Fantastic beer no matter what though. One of the few times I have compared two different ages of the same beer. This is fun and I need to do it more.

Top Bottom