• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Milchjon

B7P8VnQCQAEy_lL.jpg

What's up with Lagunitas being so cunty all the time?

That's some stupid shit right there. I've seen a lot of these "branding" lawsuits and this one makes no sense whatsoever.

- Lagunitas asserts four federally registered trademarks and two pending trademarks all relating to Lagunitas IPA, against Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA
- Basically, the complaint states the black, bold, “IPA” lettering, with distinctive kerning (spacing) especially with “P” and “A” are too similar. WHAT?
- Complaint asserts consumers might confuse the two brands, based on similar “IPA” branding. NO
- Additionally, Lagunitas notes the “Hop Hunter” branding appears to be a departure from usual Sierra Nevada labeling. Still looks like a Sierra package to me
- Sierra Nevada’s proclivity for collaborations, along with the branding departure, could lead consumers to believe this is a collaboration between the companies. Again, NO

Lagunitas-vs-Sierra-Nevada-960x453.png

fijim

Banned
Sierra Nevada is ok, but it's quickly on its way to becoming the next Sam Adams (ie too big and no longer cool).

If true, it won't be for lack of quality. It will be for lack of hype and "hardcore" beers.

Too many craft beer fans just want the next big barrel aged stout with 15 adjuncts added so it doesn't even taste like beer. Or the next expensive sour beer with fruit in it. Oh and it's $30 a bottle.

Meanwhile Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams will continue putting out quality beer at a good price. (Lagunitas has great prices too).

People like the follow the hot new brewery, they release one great beer and now all of their releases are sought after. It's not until the next "hot new brewery" opens that people start to realize that their beer was good but not hype worthy.

HiResDes

I used to hate on Stone for seeming like cocky assholes, but now that I've realized they aren't just a one trick hop pony I've definitely warmed up them. I underrated their Stout game.

That one is on a 3 year or rotation or something isn't it? I know it isn't a yearly release. But it is amazing.

Who knows if they're sticking to their original plan anymore but odd years are supposed to have some sort of variation of the IRS (and Old Guardian). 2011 had the revolting Belgo-Anise and 2013 had espresso and I'm sure 2015's will be announced soon enough. I'm hoping for espresso again but they might switch it up.

codhand

If true, it won't be for lack of quality. It will be for lack of hype and "hardcore" beers.

Too many craft beer fans just want the next big barrel aged stout with 15 adjuncts added so it doesn't even taste like beer. Or the next expensive sour beer with fruit in it. Oh and it's $30 a bottle.

Meanwhile Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams will continue putting out quality beer at a good price. (Lagunitas has great prices too).

People like the follow the hot new brewery, they release one great beer and now all of their releases are sought after. It's not until the next "hot new brewery" opens that people start to realize that their beer was good but not hype worthy.

i dunno, these seem like straw men. SN certainly has tried their damnedest to follow market trends and create hype. making expensive BA releases (Narwahl), and making pretty much one new mediocre IPA per month (Beer Camp). The current and previous Beer Camp's were filled with duds, and zero greats. considering the amount of money involved and the quality of the collaborating breweries, i think everyone expected more. that said i like them more than Sam Adams, but i dont avoid SN because it's not "the new hotness", i avoid them because there are better things on the shelf

i think Stone Espresso is next year btw...

I don't avoid SN per se, but I don't buy them because I've got local 6-pack staples that I buy regularly (Fremont, Bale Breaker, etc.). I did buy a 6-pack of Celebration for the first time in three years.

johnsmith;147258680]Sierra Nevada is ok, but it's quickly on its way to becoming the next Sam Adams (ie too big and no longer cool).

Nah, I think Sierra Nevada still appeals to the "cool" crowd. See the freakouts over BA Narhwahl.

Red Hook and Pyramid are much closer to SA than SN is.

pxleyes

Banned
Sierra Nevada is ok, but it's quickly on its way to becoming the next Sam Adams (ie too big and no longer cool).

That's some serious bullshit. Sierra Nevada produces far more high quality brews with a much broader range than what Sam Adams is slinging these days.

fijim

Banned
i dunno, these seem like straw men. SN certainly has tried their damnedest to follow market trends and create hype. making expensive BA releases (Narwahl), and making pretty much one new mediocre IPA per month (Beer Camp). The current and previous Beer Camp's were filled with duds, and zero greats. considering the amount of money involved and the quality of the collaborating breweries, i think everyone expected more. that said i like them more than Sam Adams, but i dont avoid SN because it's not "the new hotness", i avoid them because there are better things on the shelf

They have done a couple BA beers, but BA Narwhal is just a regular BA stout. The really hyped beers are stuff like BA Abraxas, barrel aged Hunahpu variants, barrel aged Mexican Cake variants etc.. this is the new hotness. Lots of smaller breweries are brewing these "mexican" style stouts as well now.

Beer Camp had plenty of "ok" beers, but I still thought it was a good pack. It had some interesting bocks, and lagers. It didn't have any big IPAs, only one Stout with adjuncts (which is the beer most people said they liked most in the pack), and nothing barrel aged. I saw this pack get ridiculed all the time, but I thought there were actually some good beers in there. Again, beer nerds said it sucked because there were no 10% ABV hop bombs, barrel aged diabetes stouts, or stomach melting vinegar sours.

My point is that many craft beer fans today ignore sessionable styles, lagers, English bitters, bocks, traditional German styles etc.. and they write them off as bland or uninteresting. I think they have just skewed ideas of what makes a good beer. IT doesn't need to be super high in alcohol, it doesn't need to have tons of sweet in your face flavors, it doesn't need to be mouth puckering sour. While I enjoy plenty of beers that fall under those categories, I also enjoy a well done lager or ESB from time to time.

Beer Camp had plenty of "ok" beers, but I still thought it was a good pack. It had some interesting bocks, and lagers. It didn't have any big IPAs, only one Stout with adjuncts (which is the beer most people said they liked most in the pack), and nothing barrel aged. I saw this pack get ridiculed all the time, but I thought there were actually some good beers in there. Again, beer nerds said it sucked because there were no 10% ABV hop bombs, barrel aged diabetes stouts, or stomach melting vinegar sours.

A lot of the criticism also had to do with how old most of the beers were by the time of release. That 3 Floyds beer was months old by the time the pack came out. Their variety packs keep having this freshness issue, too, and I had trouble finding fresh Celebration and I'm in California. That said, I do like their variety packs. I was thrilled to see Tumbler return and the Vienna Lager in the fall pack was amazing and should be in sixers year-round.

SN does have some hyped barrel-aged stuff (BA Bigfoot, BA Maple Stout, BA Narwhal) but yeah people aren't camping out overnight for their stuff. I do wish they'd have less hoppy seasonals that aren't Celebration (fuck Ruthless Rye). That hop oil extract IPA doesn't sound appealing at all, sounds like the sort of Mikkeller 1000 IBU gimmick shit that was all the rage a few years ago.

I have had their Barrel Aged Torpedo which I think they're releasing at some point. It's surprisingly good, the base beer is overshadowed by the coconut and vanilla notes but that's not a bad thing.

codhand

actually when i learned what it was, and that SN were doing this, state of the art, instantaneous vacuum-sealing of harvested hops, i have to admit i became interested. sounds kinda futuristic, maybe now other parts of the country will see "fresh hop" beers and not just distant mantra rubbing our faces in it ;P

true, if the kind of fresh hop stuff distantmantra posts came in oil extract form I'd be firing up the blowtorch and doing dabs

actually when i learned what it was, and that SN were doing this, state of the art, instantaneous vacuum-sealing of harvested hops, i have to admit i became interested. sounds kinda futuristic, maybe now other parts of the country will see "fresh hop" beers and not just distant mantra rubbing our faces in it ;P

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/sierra-nevada-hops-hunter-ipa

Nah, it's still different from what a fresh hop beer really is. Essential oils harvest from fresh hops is really cool, but it doesn't beat the brewers driving over to Yakima and bringing them back to brew that day. And Sierra Nevada is currently only using old C hop oil, none of the new hotness cones.

fijim

Banned
A lot of the criticism also had to do with how old most of the beers were by the time of release. That 3 Floyds beer was months old by the time the pack came out. Their variety packs keep having this freshness issue, too, and I had trouble finding fresh Celebration and I'm in California. That said, I do like their variety packs. I was thrilled to see Tumbler return and the Vienna Lager in the fall pack was amazing and should be in sixers year-round.

SN does have some hyped barrel-aged stuff (BA Bigfoot, BA Maple Stout, BA Narwhal) but yeah people aren't camping out overnight for their stuff. I do wish they'd have less hoppy seasonals that aren't Celebration (fuck Ruthless Rye). That hop oil extract IPA doesn't sound appealing at all, sounds like the sort of Mikkeller 1000 IBU gimmick shit that was all the rage a few years ago.

I have had their Barrel Aged Torpedo which I think they're releasing at some point. It's surprisingly good, the base beer is overshadowed by the coconut and vanilla notes but that's not a bad thing.

Yeah I do agree that the age on those beer camp beers was an issue. Pale ales should not be shipping with 2-3 months on them already.

PG2G

The German wet hop beers I've had have generally been very underwhelming...

All the ones I've had remind me of grass clippings, some moreso than others. Modern Times had the both the normal version and the fresh hop version of a beer at their taproom last time I went, I much preferred the normal version.

I did a fresh hop pale with Chinooks and Cascades from my pergola. Tasted like salad.

But if you get good hops and know what you're doing, they're amazing. No hyperbole. It's my favorite kind of beer. A fall trip to OR and WA is well worth your time. Yakima and Hood River put on amazing fresh hop festivals.

overcast

What Stone beers do you guys like? I don't care for their IPA's, prefer the competition.

That speedway stout was so fucking delicious. It is strongly alcoholic, but in just the right way.

What Stone beers do you guys like? I don't care for their IPA's, prefer the competition.

Stone's Imperial Russian Stout is delicious. Not quite as good as something like speedway stout of course but for $8 at most and how widely available it is it's one of the best imperial stouts out there. It comes out every April but I can still find it pretty easily so it should be at some shops near you but worst case just keep an eye out in a few months.

overcast

Stone's Imperial Russian Stout is delicious. Not quite as good as something like speedway stout of course but for $8 at most and how widely available it is it's one of the best imperial stouts out there. It comes out every April but I can still find it pretty easily so it should be at some shops near you but worst case just keep an eye out in a few months.
Oh okay, I've seen that multiple times. I'm not super elitist or anything. I love all kinds of stuff.

I kind of want to grab that Modern Times coffee stout again. Thing was delicious.

fijim

Banned

That speedway stout was so fucking delicious. It is strongly alcoholic, but in just the right way.

Their Enjoy By series is quite good, I would look for one of those, they release several a year. Also I enjoy Ruination and RuinTen from them. (yes I realize those are all IPAs)

Some of my favorites have been limited releases:

Espresso Russian Imperial Stout
Xocoveza
Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter
Vertical Epic 11.11.11

I really hope that Xocoveza comes back. Man that was awesome.
And if for some reason you stumble across W00tStout by them, grab it.

But, as others said, their Imperial Stout is really really good. A bit pricier than it was last year, but still damn tasty.

Still praying since it is an odd year we get the espresso stout back. That was the work of the gods.

Link

The Autumn Wind
My local spot has a few Pumkings left. Thinking about "cellar-ing" a bottle for a year. Good or bad idea?
Over the holidays, I had a bottle of Pumking that had been in my fridge for a few months. It tasted pretty bitter to me, so I dunno if it's a beer that ages very well.

Over the holidays, I had a bottle of Pumking that had been in my fridge for a few months. It tasted pretty bitter to me, so I dunno if it's a beer that ages very well.

Probably not. Bitter is not how I would describe Pumking. Maybe Warlock would age well. Not sure.

Probably not. Bitter is not how I would describe Pumking. Maybe Warlock would age well. Not sure.

Hmm. I've looked around and it seems like a mixed bag. Though I did notice that most people who enjoyed an aged Pumking, had a bottle from previous years. This years didn't meet the quality of previous years, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Brown Shugga was like the only thing I drank for a couple six packs and now I can't stand it. That is not the beer to kill the whole six in the same night. All that sugar left me feeling not great the next morning

DiscoJon

Banned
Brown Shugga was like the only thing I drank for a couple six packs and now I can't stand it. That is not the beer to kill the whole six in the same night. All that sugar left me feeling not great the next morning

Worst beer hangover I've ever had was drinking a six-pack of Brown Shugga in one night. That was a looooong time ago. Haven't had a Brown Shugga since then.

Top Bottom