• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

dekline

Duckass brewing never took off? Damn shame....

My head wasn't completely in the game. If you truly want to make a quality brew you need to sit down and strap the fuck in.

I plan on brewing again, so don't count duck glutes (gluten-free?) beer out yet.

codhand

Man Upland sours are top notch. I can't believe there is such a great sour maker right by me. Gonna drink brehs.

nice! those can be hard to get, which one are you having? i recently had dantalion (excellent) and viola (super tart and heavy, not my fave)

I've got a nice sour cooking up right now. Hot fermenting on lacto right now. Just pulled a taste and it's coming along. Tart, but needs another day or so. I'll boil and pitch the primary tomorrow or the next day.

I don't want to jinx it, but I think it'll turn out real nice.

andylsun

Speaking of sours, had Monk's Cafe on draft a couple of weeks ago. Damn that was awesome.

Going to brew my first sour later this year. Time to split my equipment into sour and not sour buckets

Speaking of sours, had Monk's Cafe on draft a couple of weeks ago. Damn that was awesome.

Going to brew my first sour later this year. Time to split my equipment into sour and not sour buckets
Personally, I don't worry about it. But then, I'm just using lactobacillus, which any half-competent sanitation regimen should have no problems with. If I had the patience for those long-term sours, I might consider some extra equipment.

ShinAmano

Anyone going to the Hunahpu day? Question about buying tickets...how do you arrange a group if you can only buy one ticket per transaction? Also this is in prep for next year as I know it sold out this year already.

I would be worried that someone in a group might not get a ticket...

fijim

Banned
Anyone going to the Hunahpu day? Question about buying tickets...how do you arrange a group if you can only buy one ticket per transaction? Also this is in prep for next year as I know it sold out this year already.

I would be worried that someone in a group might not get a ticket...

You just hope for the best. Same thing goes for Dark Lord day, everyone tries to get their own ticket, whoever does not get one... sorry. (Dark Lord day they let you buy 2 tickets actually, but still usually there are people interested in going in my group who miss out each year.) It's not really possible to plan on going before you get tickets.

For Dark Lord Day the hotels fill up a year in advance, so people will book the hotels hoping to get a ticket, then if they don't get a ticket they cancel their reservations.

Hey Washington,
Tomorrow we start the paperwork for distribution up your way. Apologies for the delay. Should be seeing some cases in the next few months. Bu and Petit, likely followed shortly after by others. Its going to be up to processing times on paperwork as to when.
Heart,
de Garde Brewing
:)

Hooray!!

Recently tried Sierra Nevada's Narwhal on draft.

3gdgVIb.png

It was delicious. Might be one of my new favorite beers.

Ugh. I did not intend to spend this much today.

Got Mikeller Raspberry Triplebock, Evil Twin From Angmar With Love (blueberry imperial stout), Three Floyds Arctic Panzer Wolf, Stone Enjoy By 2-14-15, and Stone Green Tea IPA.

I just wanted one bottle of something. Ugh.

And the store got Zombie Dust in as well, but apparently got cleaned up in less than an hour. The way people go crazy over that still baffles me.

HiResDes

I just looked up your distribution and you have some amazing local and fairly limited stuff to choose from, here are some beers I'd be curious to hear about that I think you'd like

Sweetwater's Happy Ending
Straight to Ale's Laika
Blue Pants' Chocolate Oatmeal Porter
Alewerks' Rapidou Porter
Highland's Cold Mountain
Old Dominion's Oak Barrel Stout
Terrapin's Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Yazoo's Sue
Tallgrass' Buffalo Sweat
Yellowhammer's Frankenhammer
Good People's El Gordo
Avondale's No Joke Mocha

... If you see any of those definitely try them out.

overcast

Recently tried Sierra Nevada's Narwhal on draft.

3gdgVIb.png

It was delicious. Might be one of my new favorite beers.
Ooh on draft? I loved this beer when I got the 4 pack.

I tried recently:
Stone's Coffee Milk Stout. It was solid, but definitely not as good as something like Modern Times coffee stout.

Unibroue's Maudite. This was delicious. Sweet and dark. Damn.

Total Wine has a selection of individual 12 oz bottles and it's perfect to try out different flavors. Had a great time doing that.

I just looked up your distribution and you have some amazing local and fairly limited stuff to choose from, here are some beers I'd be curious to hear about that I think you'd like

Sweetwater's Happy Ending
Straight to Ale's Laika
Blue Pants' Chocolate Oatmeal Porter
Alewerks' Rapidou Porter
Highland's Cold Mountain
Old Dominion's Oak Barrel Stout
Terrapin's Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Yazoo's Sue
Tallgrass' Buffalo Sweat
Yellowhammer's Frankenhammer
Good People's El Gordo
Avondale's No Joke Mocha

... If you see any of those definitely try them out.

I definitely need to try Laika. I love Straight to Ale, and I've just recently started getting a taste for stouts.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I definitely need to try Laika. I love Straight to Ale, and I've just recently started getting a taste for stouts.

Straight to Ale's Imperial Space Saison series is legit. Also they have pinball in their taproom so its kinda the best place

also, des, i'll trade you any of those beers i have access to (happy ending, blue pants, laika, cold mountain, yazoo, terrapin) for some madtree :)

HiResDes

Straight to Ale's Imperial Space Saison series is legit. Also they have pinball in their taproom so its kinda the best place

also, des, i'll trade you any of those beers i have access to (happy ending, blue pants, laika, cold mountain, yazoo, terrapin) for some madtree :)

Omg I'd love to trade. Gonna need a few weeks to regroup though, can't buy in bulk right now as my baby's momma is watching me like a hulk lol

codhand

Lol, the bad thing about Madtree is that they refuse to can their best beers, namely the Axis Mundi...Which I truly believe best both Narwhal and my old favorite Old Rasputin.

those are my kinda stouts. youd get a kick out this stout i had tuesday "PM Dawn" with cold brewed coffee

HiResDes

Ya'll got the Stout game on lock. I think the Midwest has the Amber game on lock though....But that's it and nobody cares about those lol

I want to try the Two Hearted Ale so badly :[

Is there such thing as a decent online site to grab beer at?

It's coming to LA next month (my local shop has a poster saying February 23) so you should be able to try it pretty soon. Looking forward to picking up a fresh four-pack of pint cans!

overcast

It's coming to LA next month (my local shop has a poster saying February 23) so you should be able to try it pretty soon. Looking forward to picking up a fresh four-pack of pint cans!
Oh damn. I just looked it up and it was supposed to be have expanded last year?

I don't quite live in LA though. Hopefully it's widely available down here..

I know Bells came to San Diego last year but now it's expanding to SoCal in general so it should hit you too. Dunno how widely available it'll be but if San Diego is any indication it won't exactly be flying off the shelves once initial hype dies down.

Aw man, I lost the Citra lottery ;_; anyone have better luck?

I am very, very jealous of anyone trying Two Hearted for the first time. Enjoy!

Struck out on Hopslam up here in Loudoun County, VA. Going into Fairfax County tomorrow. Have my brother in PA on the lookout for Nugget Nectar.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Two Hearted is a staple around here. Michigan is brutal during the winters but I can't complain about the beer scene.

I spent a summer in Michigan a couple years ago so I got to try Two Hearted (drank five my first night there lol) and a lot of other stuff. I'm glad Bells (and eventually Founders) are finally making it over to California. That said I'd much prefer to get Kuhnhenn, that DRIPA haunts my dreams.

HiResDes

Two Hearted is a staple around here. Michigan is brutal during the winters but I can't complain about the beer scene.
Bells, Founders, and Jolly Pumpkin...Ohio is very thankful for these exports. But, I've been super into exploring stuff in my own state recently. I want to try every beer made in the state.

Bells, Founders, and Jolly Pumpkin...Ohio is very thankful for these exports. But, I've been super into exploring stuff in my own state recently. I want to try every beer made in the state.

Get down to 50 West soon. They have 2 nice barrel-aged beers on at the moment (one was for a bottle release last night). Not to mention about 12-15 of their other beers. Lunch was solid and they just added some new items to the dinner menu. Worth the trip.

overcast

Not had much cider, but Crabbie's Ginger Beer has been a good alcoholic option for my friends that aren't into the traditional alcoholic drinks. They can do you in pretty fast since there is nothing to encourage temperance in drinking. Taste good to boot.
Oh this sounds interesting.
Sea Cider from Vancouver BC, Finnriver from Chimacum, WA and Reverand Nats from Portland OR are my favorite cider makers. Finnriver's Cranberry Rosehip cider is tart as fuck.
I found this one right near where I live. Going to check this out. Thanks guys.
Will be available all the way from SD to Ventura on 2/23
Oh hell yeah, going to mark the date.

I refuse to drive that far for an IPA

Yeah I feel like you lose either way with the lottery but I wouldn't mind trying it, still glad I won't be making the drive.

Have you been to Phantom Carriage yet, btw? Lineup from the soft opening looks really interesting.

Just finished a 3F Oude Geuze bottled February of last year. Probably still my favorite regular geuze, slightly above Tilquin and Cantillon. Just incredible, so deep and funky and a 12oz bottle just isn't enough!

PG2G

Had Citra at FWIBF last year, its a fantastic beer. Sounds like it might hit limited distro later this year or next.

Haven't been to Phantom Carriage yet but my friend (who I don't trust that much) called it sours for newbs. I'll make it there one of these days

HiResDes

Get down to 50 West soon. They have 2 nice barrel-aged beers on at the moment (one was for a bottle release last night). Not to mention about 12-15 of their other beers. Lunch was solid and they just added some new items to the dinner menu. Worth the trip.
I've heard great things only reason I haven't gone is that I didn't have a growler before and I know they don't bottle anything.

Edit: Oh shit they're bottling stuff

That overpriced Mikeller Raspberry Triplebock? Nowhere near the price. It felt like I was drinking a sour raspberry soda. Sure, the 13% ABV felt better after finishing it, but drinking it was not that great. Definitely not worth the $13 for the bottle.

Lotto

So much Stone Green Tea IPA this past week. Gonna hit a Firestone Walker tap takeover tomorrow. Hopefully the taps won't be dry by the time I get there. Gotta get some of that Parabola!

Lotto

I saw that Green Tea IPA, was tempted to get it definitely. Skeptical though. Not a huge Stone IPA fan.

The green tea really comes through and the %ABV is surprisingly high (10.1%), but then again it is a DIPA. Really delicious though, definitely give it a try since it's limited release. I missed out on the Xocoveza Mocha stout they had going and really regret not picking it up when I had the chance.

Top Bottom