• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

We don't get many beers under the Shelton umbrella out in my neck of the woods, but pretty much everything I hear about them from elsewhere makes them out to be an utter shitshow. Makes me wonder what's in it for the breweries they deal with.

We don't get many beers under the Shelton umbrella out in my neck of the woods, but pretty much everything I hear about them from elsewhere makes them out to be an utter shitshow. Makes me wonder what's in it for the breweries they deal with.

Any links to the shitshow? I have never had anything by them, but I am curious to know any stories about what is wrong with them.

overcast

Got my green tea IPA. Gonna give it a try in the next few days.

Not sure if I posted here but my friend got me the Farmhouse Ale from Commons Brewery on his trip to Portland. Need to give it a shot.

Chris R

Oh wow, report back on that Green Tea IPA. I bet I can find it local if I look since I was able to find a few bottles of Enjoy By 4/20 last year.

Bacon

I had the green tea IPA in my hand at the beer store but decided against it.

I'll be interested in impressions because I can always go back and pick it up if its good.

injurai

Banned
Besides water, my second most consumed non-alcoholic beverage is green tea. Straight with or without sugar. Love it in ice cream. An IPA just sounds wild, are you guys picking out a particular brand or has their been an explosion recently?

PG2G

Besides water, my second most consumed non-alcoholic beverage is green tea. Straight with or without sugar. Love it in ice cream. An IPA just sounds wild, are you guys picking out a particular brand or has their been an explosion recently?

It's a Stone and Baird (Japanese craft brewery) collaboration. It's the second time they've released it afaik

injurai

Banned
It's a Stone and Baird (Japanese craft brewery) collaboration. It's the second time they've released it afaik

Thanks I'll be on the look out. Ugh just need to get through this week and I can buy beer again. Green Tea and Victory at Sea and Boris. I've been hitting up my typical spots, but I'm in for beer quest.

Beer quests are the best.

Yep. The first version was made in 2011. I really liked that one, haven't had the new batch yet.

Baird is good, too. Great beers and taprooms in Tokyo.

Lotto

Yep. The first version was made in 2011. I really liked that one, haven't had the new batch yet.

Baird is good, too. Great beers and taprooms in Tokyo.

The first release was also a single IPA so it had a lower %ABV. New batch is a double/imperial. Wish I could do a vertical of it but since it's an IPA, ehhh probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Having a Six Point Hi-Res tonight. Damn, that is really good stuff. Wishing I grabbed a 4 pack instead of a single of this now.

EDIT: And Six Point commented on my check in on Untappd. It does make me feel good when the brewery itself likes or comments on check ins to their product. It makes me feel like they care and are engaged. Baird commented on my check in to the Green Tea IPA, and Founders has liked many of my check ins. It seems silly, but them going that small extra step does mean something and makes me want to try more of their stuff.

The first release was also a single IPA so it had a lower %ABV. New batch is a double/imperial. Wish I could do a vertical of it but since it's an IPA, ehhh probably wouldn't be a good idea.

I mean the first version was 9.2% and the new one is 10.1%, not exactly a huge difference. I wonder how bad the first batch tastes by now though!

Yeah I'm sure it's left over from the first release, good find though! I'd drink it sooner rather than later but I'm sure it's still delicious. Heard a couple rumors that some of it is making its way into barrels so I really hope that happens!

Picked up a sixer of fresh (bottled January 15) Grapefruit Sculpin. Liking this a lot more than what I had on tap actually. It's really refreshing and the grapefruit flavor is so well integrated. I hear it's coming to cans which would be great, seems like the perfect beer to drink at the beach.

Lotto

Yeah I'm sure it's left over from the first release, good find though! I'd drink it sooner rather than later but I'm sure it's still delicious. Heard a couple rumors that some of it is making its way into barrels so I really hope that happens!

Picked up a sixer of fresh (bottled January 15) Grapefruit Sculpin. Liking this a lot more than what I had on tap actually. It's really refreshing and the grapefruit flavor is so well integrated. I hear it's coming to cans which would be great, seems like the perfect beer to drink at the beach.

There aren't many upfront grapefruit flavored beers now that I think about it. I know Stone had a limited(?) one called Grapefruit Slam but I never got to try it. Good to hear it's coming canned, I love that beer.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Bridgeport_barley_wine.jpg

Just got four of those for the weekend. Rather curious, 't IJ makes great stuff but haven't had barley wine from them before. Marz Brewing I don't really know anything about though.

HiResDes

It's gonna be a crazy week Madtree is throwing a party on Friday called the Winter Bonanza 2 and there's gonna be a Pappy Van Winkle aged version of Gnarly Brown!... Also Jackie O from Athens are bringing some exclusives I hear. I'm trying to call off work and get someone to do growler fills.

Just got a message that the local store got Old Stock Reserve 2013 aged in bourbon barrels. God that sounds good, but if it is priced like aged Old Rasputin ($23 for 500ml) I am gonna pass. I really want to try it, but that price was nuts.

Might call and double check the price since he didn't tell me.

Just got a message that the local store got Old Stock Reserve 2013 aged in bourbon barrels. God that sounds good, but if it is priced like aged Old Rasputin ($23 for 500ml) I am gonna pass. I really want to try it, but that price was nuts.

Might call and double check the price since he didn't tell me.

It usually goes for about $22 but it is entirely worth it. Don't pass it up. Seriously.

So Stone officially announced that the IRS variant is going to be chai this year (cinnamon, cardamom, clove, ginger, black pepper and black tea). Would've loved espresso again but this could be interesting.

overcast

Spiegelau is probably the most well known, but pricy. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTPUQZO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This set from Libbey looks decent and is much cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KIG3V3E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I got a couple of these sets a while back from Total Wine. Definitely worth the cost.
Thanks guys, I'll probably go for that Libbey one. Has a lot of bang for the buck there.

The Green Tea IPA was really delicious. The flavor of green tea combined better than I thought. Stuck with me for a bit. Probably going to get another one eventually.

It usually goes for about $22 but it is entirely worth it. Don't pass it up. Seriously.

Urgh. The Barrel Aged Old Rasputin was expensive but oh so good. Dammit. If they have any left tomorrow I will bite.

So Stone officially announced that the IRS variant is going to be chai this year (cinnamon, cardamom, clove, ginger, black pepper and black tea). Would've loved espresso again but this could be interesting.

Interesting. While I would prefer espresso, I will still give this a whirl.

PG2G

Looks like Stone's Levitation and Self Righteous are getting discontinued and they are adding an Enjoy By Black IPA

Looks like Stone's Levitation and Self Righteous are getting discontinued and they are adding an Enjoy By Black IPA

Damn shame, because Self Righteous is sublime. *rimshot*

I am curious about an Enjoy By Black IPA. Hopefully it is better than their 18th Anniversary black IPA, because that was not that good.

Moppet13

I always kind of thought the Levitation ale tasted like a watered down Stone Pale ale so I'm not too disappointed personally.

andylsun

You should see my Superbowl lineup

Mikkeller Black - 17.5%
Brewdog Tokyo - 18.2%
Nøgne Ø Dark Horizon 4th Edition - 16%
Nøgne Ø Horizon Tokyo Black - 16%

You won't even make it to the half time show.

One bottler per quarter? Or take a drink every time the Pats make number 71 eligible. We were dong that the Colts game. Worked quite well.

Went to store to check the price on the Old Stock 2013 vintage bottle. $25. That is insane. I couldn't do it.

They also got in Stone Delicious IPA. I almost got a six pack, but opted for Golden Monkey instead. That sounded good today.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Another Upland Sour Lottery is on. $25/bottle if you are selected to buy, can buy 2 of each bottle. At 5 beers, that's $250 on 10 bottles of beer. :| I want to enter to get them, but that's just too damn much I feel.

Top Bottom