• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

4968583473_1abddfdfb5.jpg

Enjoying some of this on this fine evening.

AcridMeat said:
Trying this for the first time.
large_MirrorPond

It's good, a bit sweet compared to what I've been drinking lately but I like it.

Good man. Deschutes' head brewmaster is a family friend. They put out some of my favorite beers (Red Chair, Hop Trip and Mirror Pond).

thespot84

distantmantra said:
Good man. Deschutes' head brewmaster is a family friend. They put out some of my favorite beers (Red Chair, Hop Trip and Mirror Pond).

deschutes is a personal fav of mine. try their porter too (black butte) if you're into dark beers,

thespot84

distantmantra said:
If you're really into dark beers, try The Abyss.

sadly I don't think that gets distributed this far east (CO), but i'll give em a try at GABF if i can score tickets this year....

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
thespot84 said:
sadly I don't think that gets distributed this far east (CO), but i'll give em a try at GABF if i can score tickets this year....
Abyss does make it to Colorado, all of Deschutes stuff does (even Dissident).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
distantmantra said:
If you're really into dark beers, try The Abyss.
As much as I like dark beers, I've never much cared for Imperial Stout. It just feels like the over the top version of a good regular stout.

Seth C

Ah, Tuesday. My favorite day. I get to wander downtown and enjoy delicious beers for only $2 a pint. It's like heaven.

HiResDes

HiResDes said:
ihcS7.jpg

...Great value at $17, not a bad beer in this thing
I just wanted to review the whole offering in the midst of polishing off the last few beers...I must say that although there's not a bad beer in this bunch, they do all start to taste the same as the hop level is mid to high in every single beer. I'm all for hoppy beers, but when the hops are the absolute forefront of all of your offerings, I begin to look at your brewery as if it were a one trick pony. Even the Java Head, which I was sure was going to downplay the hop flavors is just as guilty. The real shame about the Java Head is that during the initial smell and first taste you can catch a glimpse of the potential complexity that this beer could unlock.

Another trip to CO, another $90 liquor store run. Most of the money went to the 3 bottles of mead, but also some DFH Midas Touch, Lagunitas IPA and Lagunitas Gnarleywine.

Had my first Midas Touch last night. Good, but a little bland for DFH. I will say it is amazing how clean and easy this 9% beer goes down. Dangerous thing to have just sitting in my fridge.

ruxtpin

Banned
Hey guys/gals - Looking for some recommendations here. I grew up in a household that never had an alcohol and didn't try my first drink until I was around 20. I'm 27 now and I've never really found a beer that I enjoyed. Everyone seems to tell me it's an acquired taste. Now, I like hard ciders, but those have a certain sweetness to them. Are there any beers out there that I might like, that don't have the super strong "alcohol taste"? Granted, off the top of my head the only things I can think of having tried are Bud/Bud Light, Sweetwater, and one other thing.

ruxtpin said:
Hey guys/gals - Looking for some recommendations here. I grew up in a household that never had an alcohol and didn't try my first drink until I was around 20. I'm 27 now and I've never really found a beer that I enjoyed. Everyone seems to tell me it's an acquired taste. Now, I like hard ciders, but those have a certain sweetness to them. Are there any beers out there that I might like, that don't have the super strong "alcohol taste"? Granted, off the top of my head the only things I can think of having tried are Bud/Bud Light, Sweetwater, and one other thing.
Well, there's always Guiness. It's kinda the mass-market opposite to light domestic lager.

Most beers shouldn't really be strong enough to give you a clear "alcohol taste," though. If you're not familiar with the flavor, perhaps you mean the distinctive bitter hops flavor. That appreciation does take some breaking in. In that case, perhaps something in the Belgian style. A fairly common one that I'm a fan of is Hoegaarden White Ale. It's lightly sweet and fairly fruity with a relatively mild hop characteristic; a very smooth-drinking beer.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
ruxtpin said:

Get a good local sampler 12 pack. Those often contain a variety of styles to see if you find anything you like.

AcridMeat

Banned
My friend was very similar to you ruxtpin, he found an apricot ale that he really liked. This then turned him on to trying a wider variety of beers because he figured out that there are beers out there he can enjoy. The bitter hops taste comes quickly if you're open to trying different varieties.

I haven't had a drink in almost 6 months (don't ask), but had to go to Beer Revolution in Oakland after a show i attended. If anyone has ever been to Toronado's in SF, this is probably the most equivalent, but with a wider selection and not as snobby/grimey.

http://beer-revolution.com/

50+ rotating beers on tap
5447488064_5b584c67a4.jpg

4506956625_a717b34071.jpg

see those fridges in the back? There's 3 of them.
500+ bottles to choose from. $1 corkage to drink them inside or priced to go!

l

wanted to try something with low alcohol content since I hadn't had a drink in forever, so tried an OBC Saison. Not bad, %6 but had a really smooth floral taste to it.

then i tried something i forgot the name of called Red Ale something. Holy shit, super complex flavor. %10.5, bitter and chocolatey at first, then it sour/burning aftertaste.

tokkun

ruxtpin said:

You might like some of the Belgian pale ales or German wheat beers as they often have a flavor that is described as "banana" or "bubblegum". Some easy to find examples are Leffe Blonde and Franziskaner Weissbier.

The more I drink of it, the more I enjoy Oskar Blues' Old Chub. It is just so rich and deliciously malty and damn good every time I have it. Definitely in my top 5 beers list.
That is all.

Degen

AcridMeat said:
Was at a last goodbye dinner for a friend last night at a brewing company/restaurant. I had their IPA which was enjoyable but very hoppy even for an IPA. I can't remember what else I had, it might have been the Stinson Beach.
I literally just got back from a "goodbye" thing, though it wasn't much of a dinner. Just beer after beer with chicken involved

I'm sure it's been explained already, but why is restaurant beer 1000x better than the exact same brand in a bottle/can? Please use small words; am tipsy

AcridMeat

Banned
Degen said:
I literally just got back from a "goodbye" thing, though it wasn't much of a dinner. Just beer after beer with chicken involved

I'm sure it's been explained already, but why is restaurant beer 1000x better than the exact same brand in a bottle/can? Please use small words; am tipsy
From the same place?

I'm sure the people who brew their own can answer it but I imagine it has to do with the distribution process that makes it worse. Same goes for most things, fresh from the factory taste, and all that.

tokkun

Degen said:

1. May be fresher (especially if you're talking about a brewpub)
2. Mixing element: Beers are usually slightly heterogeneous solutions. With certain styles/brewers you will have yeast left in the bottle that settles to the bottom. If you read the bottle closely they will sometimes tell you to leave some of the beer in the bottle when you pour.
3. They may be chilling it at a more appropriate temperature.
4. Psychological effect

chaostrophy said:
This has been one of my favorites lately:
founders-red-rye-pale-ale.jpg

Rye beer is delicious, has a spicy, refreshing taste.

346732.jpg
?

ATF487

Went to a local brewpub today in Framingham MA, had a delicious Irish Stout and an American Red Ale that was also good.

I'm starting to think that stouts are my favorite style though, at least for having one or two beers at a time.

Also, what's the best way to get Guinness at home? I know there are better beers and all but I like Guinness for its ubiquity, and couldn't decide whether or not to get the bottle or can for my friend today, as I've only really had it when at the bar.

Stalfos

ATF487 said:
Also, what's the best way to get Guinness at home? I know there are better beers and all but I like Guinness for its ubiquity, and couldn't decide whether or not to get the bottle or can for my friend today, as I've only really had it when at the bar.
Its not going to beat Guinness on tap, but it can still be good having it at home. My suggestion would be to go with the can. It pours better resulting in a nicer head and I think it tastes better. Last time I had Guinness I got bottles and it wasn't as good as I remember the cans being. Though apparently the bottle is designed so that the beer can be enjoyed straight from the bottle but that just seems wrong to me when drinking Guinness so I still poured it.

It's a Troegs night for me. Some Hopback, and a deuce of Flying Mouflan.
Top 5 as of today:
5. Tommyknocker Oaked Butthead Dopplebock
4. Troegs Flying Mouflan
3. Brewworks Hopsolutely
2. 21st Amendment Monk's Blood
1. Van Steenberge Piraat Ale

kottila

Anyone else here that homebrews? Mashing a porter atm while enjoying a extra special bitter of my own. It might be psychological, but I prefer my beers to most of the commercial ones.

kottila said:
Anyone else here that homebrews? Mashing a porter atm while enjoying a extra special bitter of my own. It might be psychological, but I prefer my beers to most of the commercial ones.

I am the opposite. I am hypercritical of my homebrew, and while delicious, I always feel they are just not quite good enough.

kottila

sharkmuncher said:
I am the opposite. I am hypercritical of my homebrew, and while delicious, I always feel they are just not quite good enough.
I'm still in the honeymoon-phase where I'm mostly just happy that is has alcohol and a head. And I've tasted so much awful homebrew from friends, that I can say that mine is much better.

RJT

kottila said:
I have two friends that make homebrew. I'll be drinking a Chimay based homebrew today that came through surprisingly well. We tried it too soon at first, and the smell was awful. It really turned out well after proper ageing though...

kottila

RJT said:
I have two friends that make homebrew. I'll be drinking a Chimay based homebrew today that came through surprisingly well. We tried it too soon at first, and the smell was awful. It really turned out well after proper ageing though...
Yeah, I almost gave up on my previous batch after carbonation, but three weeks later, it has changed alot. Patience is the hardest tging about homebrewing

It's Seattle Beer Week here, and as part of the festivities, some local breweries are taking part in Iron Brewer on Sunday. It's set up just like Iron Chef, with secret ingredients and voting.

Elliott Bay vs Georgetown Brewing (wasabi and satsuma)
Fremont vs Two Beers (cedar and cucumber)
Big Al vs Black Raven (sesame and plum)

It was decided last night, going to all grain! (finally, after 23 batches of extract) Off to home depot to purchase a 10 gallon cooler and spigot attachments. After that, I am only an 8 (or 10) gallon kettle away from all grain goodness.

AIRic

KingGondo said:
Just had some Maudite the other night. Great stuff.

Drinking some Duvel at the moment.

Niiiiice! I wish I didn't have to drive about 3 hours to get some Duvel or Chimay. Living in NB sucks for beers. On the bright side, we have some Picaroon's greatness!

KingGondo said:
Just had some Maudite the other night. Great stuff.

Drinking some Duvel at the moment.

Mmmm makes me want to go pick up some Belgian Beer.

Currently working on a homebrewed American Blonde. It is damn tasty.

The beer keeps comin'. Had some fun at Super Deli Mart in West Seattle after Iron Brewer at Beveridge Place.

19ky8o.jpg

In addition to the above bottles, I had a pint of Avery's Maharaja Imperial IPA from Super Deli Mart's tap. Yum

Top Bottom