• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Just opened up a bottle of Westmalle Tripel Ale. God, this is so good. Such clean, rich flavor with a bit of an alcohol bite on the tail end.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I tried a few more; including some Goose Island.

Figured I oughta try it before there's nothing but Budweiser-run GI on the shelves :(.

dubc35

Picked up some brews from the new local beer shop. Enjoying the Hop Stoopid right now....yes, the Yeti name was a large factor in me buying it lol.

beer001.jpg

Seth C

Tomorrow night is gonna be a good night. I love Chase Tap Room. Every Tuesday night, every tap is only $2 a pint. Heaven.

thespot84

dubc35 said:
Picked up some brews from the new local beer shop. Enjoying the Hop Stoopid right now....yes, the Yeti name was a large factor in me buying it lol.

beer001.jpg

yeti is delicious. Had any other great divide beers before?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I just got three free food safe buckets from the local bakery shop.

Time to brew a couple of batches of something. Any recipe suggestions on a nice refreshing spring beer?

AndyD said:

Time to brew a couple of batches of something. Any recipe suggestions on a nice refreshing spring beer?
I think something like a farm house ale is a nice springtime beer. What's your weather like there? If you've got warm temperatures, something in the saison style would probably be pretty friendly fermentation-wise.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
AndyD said:

A Berliner weisse is a great spring/summer time beer, depending on your skill level.

Yaboosh said:
A lot of it has to do with the skill of the brewer, but also to a certain extent the intentions of the brewer.

All else being equal, I think that a beer with the taste of alcohol is worse than one without it. But not all agree with that.
Yeah, this is my first Scotch Ale and I definitely get the sense that what I'm drinking is heavier than the norm. A lot of a raisin-y, smoky taste initially, but it goes down smooth. It has the warming effect that a Scotch whisky carries as well. Overall, I quite like it, but it's definitely not as sessionable as other beers I've tried. I'm definitely gonna try out some of the other brews in the Founder's line, I'm thinking Centenial IPA for my next grab. Or hell, Maudite. I'm definitely just getting that :l
Insertnamehere said:
This thread is just tempting me.

This is going to be a boring summer. No beer until... late July? Mono is the worst.
aw man, sorry to hear that. Least your gf got you that case of LFDM. I mean, that must help the time got by, amirite? ... Amirite?

InsertNameHere said:
This thread is just tempting me.

This is going to be a boring summer. No beer until... late July? Mono is the worst.
I was diagnosed with mono in January after having some soreness in my larynx (the actual cartilage and tendon, not the throat). I was amused to find out that the blood test being positive is almost completely meaningless since you carry the marker for up to a year, so they were unable to tell me when I could a) start kissing again b) go back to aikido c) drink beer. Good times.

Been drinking Dogfish Head Indian Brown and Shipyard Brown lately, just nice mellow beers.

LProtag

BriareosGAF said:
I was diagnosed with mono in January after having some soreness in my larynx (the actual cartilage and tendon, not the throat). I was amused to find out that the blood test being positive is almost completely meaningless since you carry the marker for up to a year, so they were unable to tell me when I could a) start kissing again b) go back to aikido c) drink beer. Good times.

Been drinking Dogfish Head Indian Brown and Shipyard Brown lately, just nice mellow beers.

Great. Well, I've been sick as shit lately and I'm going in tomorrow morning for a checkup and hopefully they'll be able to tell me something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've in San Diego forever, but never even had an Arrogant Bastard ale. I'm pretty leery of Stone's beers, since they're all bitter hop-bombs, but this one is magnificent. Very balanced and complex; very sweet caramel notes upfront, and that bitter hoppy back-end you tend to expect from an IPA.

Barrett2

GiJoccin said:
the only Brooklyn Brewery beer I've really liked is the Brooklyn Blast (their double ipa, not bottled - I had it at Brooklyn Bowl and they serve it at the brewery, DELICIOUS)

I'm partial to sixpoint, pretty much anything they make, and captain lawrence (Westchester) makes some interesting beers (though not all of them are great)

I haven't had any other NYC breweries
Thanks, I'll have to check those out.

JodyAnthony said:
Spent last night with Portal 2 and an Old Rasputin RIS. It was awesome.

Same, except replace Old Rasputin RIS with Dogfishhead India Brown, Anchor Steam and New Belgium Trippel. It was a glorious evening!

Having this tonight:

iba_web.jpg

It's from a "nano-brewery" here in Montgomery County, MD (the only brewery in the county!) This one isn't my thing since it's too much like an IPA for my tastes. However, the winter seasonal Marmageddon Porter was quite good, iirc.

12 pack of ska mixer (esb, ipa, blonde). Excellent session beer mix pack. All very tasty brews.

Edit: Sorry for the super high res. I forget to alter when I upload from my phone sometimes. Better size now.

BigDug13

After living in San Diego for 10 years and moving to Japan, I really miss the beer scene. Japan has its share of breweries and great beer bars, but we're talking about $12 per pint compared to $3.50 per pint of local craft brews in San Diego (At O'Briens).

joesmokey

Anyone here in the central LA area? I've been trying to find a good place to pick up non-standard beers: Old Speckled Hen, Stone Ruination, Dogfish IPA, etc. I haven't found a good place for picking these up anywhere. Most grocery stores around here just have the standard stuff.

MacGurcules said:
The preposterously high resolution doesn't really help when they're blurry cell phone pictures. Just sayin'...
Fixed!

thespot84 said:
What's Ska's distribution like? Where do you keep getting all this CO beer, I thought you left the state? :p

Not sure what their distribution is like, but there is this small beer store in Omaha that picks up every beer they can possibly get distributed to Nebraska. If not, every time I drive out to Colorado I load up on beer I cannot get here such as Dogfishhead, Stone and Oskar Blues.

tokkun

Had a bottle of Central Waters' Illumination last night; considered by many to be the best current DIPA. Picked up a Bell's Hopslam for tonight, which is another contender for that crown.

Still mystified by the hop bomb faction of beer enthusiasts.

Bread

Banned
Had some Harpoon UFO this weekend
harpoon-ufo-hefeweizen.jpg

(not my picture obviously)

It was fucking delicious, and it might be my new favorite beer.

Was saving this, but then it taunted me. Now I kind of wish it was still being saved.

It is Avery's Dihos Dactylion. A sour ale aged in Cabernet sauvignon barrels. While delicious, I do wish I would (of haha) have let it age longer. The oak was just a bit too strong for me and I feel after some time it would have blended with the flavors a bit more. Nevertheless, it was incredibly complex beer and I would recommend it to anyone lucky enough to be able to find one. Apparently this series disappears quickly never to be seen again.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Anybody in NYC, The Bronx Alehouse has Delirium Tremens, Duvel Green and Allagash Curieux on tap tonight amongst others. Gonna catch Yankees game there tonight.

Fireye

dubc35 said:

beer001.jpg

How was the Nectar? I saw Nectar Red Ale at the local sammich/beer place, and was REALLY tempted to pick it up.

AcridMeat

Banned
Was out celebrating the last day of class for the semester last night. Went to a bar in Berkeley that serves their microbrew for a discount on Thursdays ($10/litre bottle). Still kind of expensive but when you just split rounds between people it's great.
4469984309_6c2279c853.jpg

It's a dark ale, 8%, really nice! Recommended if you're in the area and haven't tried it.

thezerofire said:
is there any better way to start liking the taste of beer other than to just drink a shit-ton of it?
Try different varieties. Maybe go to a brewery or a brewpub that has bunch of different beers and order a line of 10-12 tasters. Even better with someone who enjoys and or knows a little bit about beer. Find out which kinds, if any, you enjoy and work from there. I am of the firm opinion that most people can find some kind of beer they at least tolerate and go from there. Pounding Key Light until beer no longer phases you is not the only way to begin enjoying beer.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
And you just might not like beer. But definitely go somewhere that has a sampler and find out if you enjoy any of them.

KiKaL

Far from practical but I didn't like beer at all until I started beer bongs. Then it just took off from there. It really is an acquired taste. It's amazing to see how your beer preference changes over time

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It will either be Russian River Blind Pig tonight or a homebrewed lambic aged in a Russian River Temptation barrel for me tonight. Hmmmm.

This baby (my old college mini-fridge) lives in my garage:

jfydzc.jpg

Left to right: Ninkasi Spring Reign Ale, Full Sail Hop Pursuit Pale Ale, Iron Horse Black IPA, Lazy Boy IPA, Snoqualmie Wildcat IPA, Silver City Whooppass Double IPA, Deschutes Jubelale, Deschutes Red Chair NWPA, Westvleteran 12, Hair of the Dog Ruth Pale Ale, Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball Ale.

My buddies and I email back and forth comparing contents of our beer fridges. What's in YOUR beer fridge? I thought we could do the same here.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Right now I have:

Lindeman's Cuvee Rene Gueuze
Three Floyds Dark Lord
Firestone Walker Abacus
Funkwerks Saison
Full Sail Session Dark Lager
Russian River Temptation
Russian River Supplication
Russian River Blind Pig
De Struise Black Albert Batch Zero
De Struise Cuvee Delphine

I think there are a few more things in there, but that is just from memory.

Top Bottom