• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally drank my Lord Rear Admiral the other night. Really quite good.

Also picked up a 4 pack of La Fin du Monde, a 6 pack of Alpha King, a 4 pack of DFH 90, and a bomber of Apocalypse Cow. I need to drink my Creme Brulee Stout and my DFH 120 at some point, but I'm sort of holding out for a "special occasion".

SA5X4abVCBZl_BDfhzPkQcWQV50ruDWpCXUADBWTptQ=w537-h953-no

dekline

I fuck with mississippi mud because they're:

cheap
taste decent
and the bottle is fucking awesome

I also blind bought this shit called Ultra Gnar Gnar. Probably some hippie bullshit but who knows.

Interesting seeing how hard it is to get a liquor license in certain states. And another reminder that liking beer while living in Utah must suck.
Yeah, I'm pretty astonished that there are any breweries that actually operate successfully there. No drafts over 4%? How do you even run a taproom? I mean, I mostly brew on the lighter side, myself, but that's a pretty tough limit.

Yeah, I'm pretty astonished that there are any breweries that actually operate successfully there. No drafts over 4%? How do you even run a taproom? I mean, I mostly brew on the lighter side, myself, but that's a pretty tough limit.

Everything is bottled. I had a layover a few years back at SLC airport so I went to Wasatch Brewing's pub. The lager was draft, and everything else was in a 12 oz. bottle.

pretty sure im in the minority on this one
Nah, I can understand why somebody might not be too crazy about it. It's a little bland. Sweet and boozy with just a little nutty thing going on. But kinda light bodied and none of the deep, malty complexity you expect for a stout this big.

codhand

Nah, I can understand why somebody might not be too crazy about it. It's a little bland. Sweet and boozy with just a little nutty thing going on. But kinda light bodied and none of the deep, malty complexity you expect for a stout this big.

yup. pretty much mirrors my thoughts. almost blind bought a log, but saw that a local store had a bottle, what a bullet-dodge of Neo proportions. if youre in search of a cheap ba stout, with a lotta bang for your buck id go with this guy:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3/107185/

yup. pretty much mirrors my thoughts. almost blind bought a log, but saw that a local store had a bottle, what a bullet-dodge of Neo proportions. if youre in search of a cheap ba stout, with a lotta bang for your buck id go with this guy:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3/107185/

I'm not sure how far Pike distributes, but their Entire Wood Aged Imperial Stout is the best BA deal on the planet at $9. Seriously underapreciated beer.

codhand

I'm not sure how far Pike distributes, but their Entire Wood Aged Imperial Stout is the best BA deal on the planet at $9. Seriously underapreciated beer.

yup, when it isnt infected i agree. i had a vintage old bawdy that was crazy good. yeah their price points are great too, so low risk factor involved

HiResDes

eh, it's always been thinner than the average id say. that Aun Mas Jesus I sent for example would be at the other end of the spectrum as really full-bodied, and much more enjoyable tbh despite no barrel.
Any recommendations for stouts with a similar thickness, I really have a craving for something with that type of substantial mouthfeel. Ten Fidy is pretty thick, but it's a little pricey.

Any recommendations for stouts with a similar thickness, I really have a craving for something with that type of substantial mouthfeel. Ten Fidy is pretty thick, but it's a little pricey.

Great Divide's Yeti and Boulevard's Imperial Stout are pretty solid, I feel like there are a couple easy to find other examples, but can't think of them off the top of my head.

codhand

evil twin is kinda on a nother level when it comes to thick, rich, sweet, full thing, but yeah Ten Fidy, as far as widely available ones, is a good substitute,

i really like Black Xantus i had recently, i had never had it before, and wasnt expecting much, but damn it's good, sub $15 price range too. doesnt mimic Evil Twin or anything, just quality big stout, that should be easier to find

Agree with Sharkmuncher about Yeti, even had a 2008 batch 1 Yeti couple weeks ago, and it held up excellent..

gonna open a batch 1 Oak Aged soon...

8BvQEnfl.jpg

My GAF Secret Santa a few years back sent me a glass from a Portugese craft brewery, but none of their beer. My parents went to Portugal after my wife and I left Europe. They found a couple beers from the brewery and brought them back for me. Nice.

evil twin is kinda on a nother level when it comes to thick, rich, sweet, full thing, but yeah Ten Fidy, as far as widely available ones, is a good substitute,

i really like Black Xantus i had recently, i had never had it before, and wasnt expecting much, but damn it's good, sub $15 price range too. doesnt mimic Evil Twin or anything, just quality big stout, that should be easier to find

Agree with Sharkmuncher about Yeti, even had a 2008 batch 1 Yeti couple weeks ago, and it held up excellent..

gonna open a batch 1 Oak Aged soon...

Just saw a place around here is doing growler fills of Black Xantus. It is about a third of the price to get a growler than it is to get bottles, so off to there I go. I hope it is good.

As for another really thick stout, Founders is quite good as well. Their standard Imperial Stout is a lot thicker than Breakfast Stout.

dekline

I like surly and used to listen to 1349 in high school, so why not?

1349xfz0b.jpg

They also had a black ale with coffee but I figured I'd just wait. At like $22 + tax they aren't exactly flying off the shelves.

Never heard of these Lervig guys before.

codhand

Xantus was great just had that too if just a tad too sweet for my taste. But I think aging a little would help.

Black Xantus is a rare bird and the first new release from Nectar Ales in Years. It is the First ever “big-beer” to be released under the Nectar Ales line. Barrel aged for 6 months in combination of Bourbon, retired Firestone Union and wine barrels and Infused with fair-trade, organic coffee from local roaster Jobella. R

Yo, sayin..like, say this stuff on your label. Makes it sound way more awesome.

Starting on the growler of Black Xantus right now. The woman at the store seemed confused that I wanted a growler of a stout. BAH!

But it is pretty damn yummy. It looks a little thin as you pour it, but definitely a thick mouth feel as you drink it.

nice, live updates!

Hey, I have to have something to do tonight. Enjoying my second glass from the growler now. I will probably polish it off tomorrow, and save the W00tstout for Thursday. One, gotta add a new brew on Thursday to help on those Untappd badges. Also, whatever my next beer is will be my 500th unique beer on Untappd. I haven't had anywhere near the volume many others on here have had, but it is still an impressive threshold I think.

Kjellson

So I don't know how many of you saw it, but there was a thread yesterday about Budweiser and there was a few Europeans in there who claimed that all US beer was shit and that European beer was so much better.

Do many Europeans don't know about American craft beer or something? I'm European but American craft is big over here but in countries like Germany and Belgium they seems to be non-existing.

It's pretty silly when a poster ravages on how bad all American beer is while German beer is so much better.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So I don't know how many of you saw it, but there was a thread yesterday about Budweiser and there was a few Europeans in there who claimed that all US beer was shit and that European beer was so much better.

Do many Europeans don't know about American craft beer or something? I'm European but American craft is big over here but in countries like Germany and Belgium they seems to be non-existing.

It's pretty silly when a poster ravages on how bad all American beer is while German beer is so much better.

It has always been based on ignorance. Making fun of Budweiser for being piss water then going back to your VB or whatever. Yeah, OK.

injurai

Banned
Europe has some pretty good breweries. I'd say they're large and cheap brews are better than our corporate swill. But the American/Canadian craft beer scene is pretty uncontested.

Craft beers don't get a lot of airtime in popular media like bud, pbr and coors. It's just the popular culture.

I bet 9/10 people in the Netherlands just stick with the big brands like Heineken, Grolsch, Amstel etc. Regardless the craft beer business is booming in the Netherlands!

Top Bottom