• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

HiResDes

gKn1fhe.jpg

Just a few pickups, but I'm excited about the Total Eclipse which is supposed to just as good as Founder's and it's made right here in Ohio.

Having salmon though so I'll probably just be drinking the Hennepin tonight.

Just a few pickups, but I'm excited about the Total Eclipse which is supposed to just as good as Founder's and it's made right here in Ohio.

Having salmon though so I'll probably just be drinking the Hennepin tonight.
The Stone chai is solid. It tastes like chai, for better or worse.

HiResDes

Total Clipse ended up being quite decadent. True Breakfast Stout lovers might find their version a bit too subtle with it's roasted coffee flavors. Total Eclipse is also slightly sweeter and features a subtle coconut flavor that plays and meshes with the coffee and chocolate. It has a pretty lush body, that's like heavy silk. It's near perfect, but there's this bit of carbonation that rears its head during the tail end of a sip that marrs it just a bit. Overall it might be even more drinkable than the Founder's version, as I had to resist the urge to session the rest of the six-pack last night.

Fjordson

I remember asking in a different thread last month for beer recommendations and Des suggested I come ask in here.

I don't know shit about beer to be honest, so this is kinda vague, but I need some decent recommendations for your average party (not really a hype party, just family stuff). Something I can find in California.

One I've been enjoying recently is Longboard Lager from Kona http://konabrewingco.com/ though I haven't had a wide variety of brews so not totally sure how good that is.

HiResDes

I remember asking in a different thread last month for beer recommendations and Des suggested I come ask in here.

I don't know shit about beer to be honest, so this is kinda vague, but I need some decent recommendations for your average party (not really a hype party, just family stuff). Something I can find in California.

One I've been enjoying recently is Longboard Lager from Kona http://konabrewingco.com/ though I haven't had a wide variety of brews so not totally sure how good that is.
Kona makes great summer beers here are some other inoffensive suggestions for the summer:

Lagunitas Little Sumpin
21st Amendment Down to Earth Session IPA
21st Amendment Hell or High
Alesmith X
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Stone Delicious IPA
Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin
Ballast Point Yellowtail Pale
The Lost Abbey Devotion Ale
Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale
Oskar Blues Mama Pils
Left Hand 400 Pound Monkey
New Belgium Fat Tire

I've had Longboard Lager a couple times, it's pretty refreshing. I don't know which part of California you're in but you have a lot of great options. I'd say Lagunitas Pils and Firestone Walker 805 are good to bring to that sort of party, though you should also consider a variety 12-pack which is nice because it contains a few styles of beer to choose from.

HiResDes

I thought of a few more:

Fremont Summer Solstice
Deschutes Mirror Pond
Rogue American Amber
Full Sail Pale
Full Sail Session Lager
Hopworks IPA

Fjordson

I've had Longboard Lager a couple times, it's pretty refreshing. I don't know which part of California you're in but you have a lot of great options. I'd say Lagunitas Pils and Firestone Walker 805 are good to bring to that sort of party, though you should also consider a variety 12-pack which is nice because it contains a few styles of beer to choose from.
I'm in Northern California. And thanks man, I've seen that Firestone Walker in stores. Gonna try that.

Kona makes great summer beers here are some other inoffensive suggestions for the summer:

Lagunitas Little Sumpin
21st Amendment Down to Earth Session IPA
21st Amendment Hell or High
Alesmith X
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Stone Delicious IPA
Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin
Ballast Point Yellowtail Pale
The Lost Abbey Devotion Ale
Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale
Oskar Blues Mama Pils
Left Hand 400 Pound Monkey
New Belgium Fat Tire
Oh damn, appreciate it. My brother in law likes that Fat Tire, will try that and the other ones for sure.

Also gonna grab some of these for myself at home tbh. Been slowly getting into beer lately.

HiResDes

I'm in Northern California. And thanks man, I've seen that Firestone Walker in stores. Gonna try that.

Oh damn, appreciate it. My brother in law likes that Fat Tire, will try that and the other ones for sure.

Also gonna grab some of these for myself at home tbh. Been slowly getting into beer lately.
Fat Tire is kinda boring, but it's a safe pick usually for macro Lager drinkers.

I finally made it out to Highland Park Brewery today since I was in the area and had bought a bottle during their last online sale so I figured I should pick it up and try some of the beer while I was at it. I gotta say I'm really impressed. I had:

Raised Eyebrows - passionfruit/guava sour beer, tart and tropical and delicious; everything I wanted Lilikoi Kepolo to be

Brightside - fantastic IPA, one of the best I've had recently

Vacation with Brett - I love Belgian singles so this was right up my alley, great brett flavor and carbonation (the bottle gushed like crazy when I opened it but settled down quickly). Reminded me most of Orval but lighter with a creamier mouthfeel, wish I'd gotten more than one bottle.

So yeah I'm glad I got to try their beers, it's a bit far to hit up regularly but I'll definitely be following their bottle sales.

dekline

Just a five minute drive across the river

God bless Wisconsin and their "drink whatever the fuck you want on Sunday" law. The place I went to today must rake in serious cash on Sundays.

Get in the game, Minnesota!

PG2G

I finally made it out to Highland Park Brewery today since I was in the area and had bought a bottle during their last online sale so I figured I should pick it up and try some of the beer while I was at it. I gotta say I'm really impressed. I had:

Raised Eyebrows - passionfruit/guava sour beer, tart and tropical and delicious; everything I wanted Lilikoi Kepolo to be

Brightside - fantastic IPA, one of the best I've had recently

Vacation with Brett - I love Belgian singles so this was right up my alley, great brett flavor and carbonation (the bottle gushed like crazy when I opened it but settled down quickly). Reminded me most of Orval but lighter with a creamier mouthfeel, wish I'd gotten more than one bottle.

So yeah I'm glad I got to try their beers, it's a bit far to hit up regularly but I'll definitely be following their bottle sales.

Have heard great things about Raised Eyebrows. Will have to buy that one when it goes on sale.

I've been there once and wasn't super impressed but their IPAs were very good. Lots of saisons which aren't really my thing. Lazy Susan was also a good beer. I'll probably be buying their sours and skipping the others

codhand

cqdPqZOl.jpg

Mini haul from the weekend in Vancouver, BC.

doooope

for some reason im more proud of my Canadian level 4 or whatever badge, than my German level 40ish badge

i think it's cause the canadian shelf market is so walled, makes finding anything in the states tough, and vice versa for our stuff on their shelves

git gud at beer laws canada :p

doooope

for some reason im more proud of my Canadian level 4 or whatever badge, than my German level 40ish badge

i think it's cause the canadian shelf market is so walled, makes finding anything in the states tough, and vice versa for our stuff on their shelves

git gud at beer laws canada :p

There are some great beers in BC. Also a bunch I had from Quebec while in Brussels (tap takeover at Moeder Lambic, ironically).

I love sours but I kinda have to go out of my way to find any DFH around here. I will definitely keep my eyes open the next time I make my way into Wisconsin.

Forget DFH. If you're going to Wisconsin you're better off getting August Schell's berlinerweisses and all the tasty New Glarus sours.

dekline

Forget DFH. If you're going to Wisconsin you're better off getting August Schell's berlinerweisses and all the tasty New Glarus sours.

Pretty sure I've seen this around. Good to know it's worth it, if I see it again I'll grab a bottle.

It really is hard to go wrong with new glarus. Even their weakest beers are absolutely drinkable.

Socreges

Banned
cqdPqZOl.jpg

Mini haul from the weekend in Vancouver, BC.
Let me know what you think of the P49. They spit out so many beers, and some not so impressive, that I've grown wary of trying their stuff. But Apricotopus sounds interesting.... if nothing else

And Pequeño Cabo. Never even heard of it. Hopefully it isn't already sold out everywhere. Four Winds does some great stuff. Still hurting from not getting their Nectarous (Dry hopped sour) in time...

Let me know what you think of the P49. They spit out so many beers, and some not so impressive, that I've grown wary of trying their stuff. But Apricotopus sounds interesting.... if nothing else

And Pequeño Cabo. Never even heard of it. Hopefully it isn't already sold out everywhere. Four Winds does some great stuff. Still hurting from not getting their Nectarous (Dry hopped sour) in time...

Pequeno just hit shelves this past week. I love Four Winds, always hit up the brewery and snag bottles when I'm in BC. Nectarous was damn good.

Socreges

Banned
Pequeno just hit shelves this past week. I love Four Winds, always hit up the brewery and snag bottles when I'm in BC. Nectarous was damn good.
How do you find this shit before I do! CAMRA connections? Twitter?

I filled up a growler of Juxtapose when I was over a couple days ago, but somehow completely missed Pequeño. Same story with Nectarous, which was gone in days and I can't believe you managed to snag

How do you find this shit before I do! CAMRA connections? Twitter?

I filled up a growler of Juxtapose when I was over a couple days ago, but somehow completely missed Pequeño. Same story with Nectarous, which was gone in days and I can't believe you managed to snag

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Beer Advocate.

I got my Peqeuno bottle at Brewery Creek in Mount Pleasant and saw it all over downtown.

dekline

Sipping a samael's oak aged ale from avery brewing. I really do mean sipping, it's intense.

Not sure that I like it that much, it's very sweet.

Damn. Zwanze Day moved from Melbourne in Australia (where I live) to Perth (the other side of the country, 4 hour flight).

Welp, at least I managed to attend one Zwanze Day. Was excited for this one, too!

t-ramp

I think Goose Island unveiled the new BCBS bottle a while ago, but they put out some more info today on this year's lineup. The bottle looks cool, and hopefully the price on the core versions doesn't end up being too high due to the format switch. I'd like to snag at least a bottle of the barleywine if I can.

Suggested retail price for the standard BCBS is $9.99, apparently. http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/goose-island-new-bourbon-county-stout-story.html

Bourbon County Brand Stout 2015:
Brewer Austin holds the Original, the one that started it all. A malty beast to brew, the process to get to Black Friday starts the following day. It’s nose is an intense mix of charred oak, chocolate, vanilla, caramel and smoke.

Bourbon County Brand Barleywine 2015:
Brewer Marc holds 2015 Bourbon County Barleywine. Aged in the third-use barrels that were once home to Kentucky bourbon and then the renowned Bourbon County Stout, this traditional English-style barleywine possess the subtlety of flavor that only comes from a barrel that’s gone through many seasons of ritual care.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout 2015:
Brewer Patrick holds the 2015 incarnation of Bourbon County Stout. This year features Intelligentsia Los Delirioscoffee from Nicaragua.

Bourbon County Brand Regal Rye Stout 2015:
Brewer Tim holds this year’s Rye Variant. A unique blend of Bourbon County Brand Stout aged in rye whiskey barrels with blackberries, Luxardo candied cherries, fresh sour cherries and sea salt. Developed by the team of Goose Island brewers, this year’s recipe was especially collaborative. The brewers submitted recipes, held a roundtable discussion dissecting each and in the end landed on Bourbon County Brand Regal Rye Stout.

Proprietors Bourbon County Brand Stout 2015 (Chicago only):
Brewer Di holds 2015 Proprietors. Made as a thank you to our adventurous neighbors in Chicago who were there since the beginning. To get the recipe for Proprietors, every brewer is encouraged to take home some Bourbon County Stout and experiment with ingredients. This year, brewer Di’s recipe got selected. Needless to say she’s beyond pumped. 2015 Proprietors will feature maple, toasted pecans and guaillopeppers.

Rare Bourbon County Brand Stout 2015:
Brewer Dave holds 2015 Rare. Back in 1979 the folks at Heaven Hill Distilleries filled a handful of new freshly charred American white oak barrels with some of their finest whiskey. It is rare for Bourbon to age in barrels for more than twenty-three years. But these barrels patiently sat for over thirty years. The extra years developed a distinct and complex character that makes them truly one-of-a kind. We filled those barrels with Bourbon County Brand Stout, and then stored them away in our Chicago Barrel House to age for two more years.

Hmm. Weird to see the format change especially after they so recently switched from bombers to twelves for most of their lineup. The Tribune link is being a dick and insisting on a signup. Looks like 500mL bottles, yes? In that case $10/bottle seems like a pretty modest price increase to me.

Interested to see Rare returning. I was lucky enough to get a small pour of the 2007 Rare a few years ago and it was pretty outstanding. I doubt I'll have much success getting a new one, but I did manage to snag a Proprietor's last year, so maybe it'll work out.

t-ramp

Hmm. Weird to see the format change especially after they so recently switched from bombers to twelves for most of their lineup. The Tribune link is being a dick and insisting on a signup. Looks like 500mL bottles, yes? In that case $10/bottle seems like a pretty modest price increase to me.

Interested to see Rare returning. I was lucky enough to get a small pour of the 2007 Rare a few years ago and it was pretty outstanding. I doubt I'll have much success getting a new one, but I did manage to snag a Proprietor's last year, so maybe it'll work out.
Yeah, 16.9oz. I got around that shitty subscription prompt by using the browser's reading view (MS Edge).

Not going out of my way for any of the BCBS beers. We'll get Kentucky Dark Star and Bbomb in the same release window, so no reason.

Maybe already answered... why is Ballast Point Sculpin so expensive?

Ballast Point just a has higher MSRP for some stupid reason. It's good beer but not that much better. $15 for a sixer of Grapefruit Sculpin is silly.

codhand

oh no, not a ten dollar ipa :p

Sculpin's price isnt the problem, it's that it isn't good enough to warrant it.

i dont think it's an endorsement of price gouging to say a brewery can charge whatever they want, they still have to sell it after all.

codhand

Sculpin is a fine drink. It's price warrants it. Its just that there is good competition for my dollar out there.

i dont mean to come across like i hate it, it's pretty good, and yeah i definitely agree there's usually a cheaper, better option for a good DIPA fix.

sculpin in cans is way more appealing to me than a big bomber of it too

Regular Sculpin does nothing for me, but I snatch up 6-packs of Grapefruit Sculpin when it's on sale. My neighborhood co-op had them for $10 last week so he'll yes I bought one.

My go-to beers for summer have been Fremont Session Pale (organic simcoe and Citra pale), Fort George 3-Way IPA and Breakside's Passion Fruit Sour berlinerweisse.

Top Bottom