• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Fjordson

Yeah our plans fell through so me and the wife just drank them lol.

Not gonna lie, kinda glad we didn't have to share the Ballast Point.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Going to be in LA in 2 weeks from Buffalo. Any must go to bars/bottle shops? Easiest way to get a hold of Russian River stuff (specifically Pliny, but sours if possible). Anything else I should look out for that I can't get on the East coast?

dekline

Picked up Todd the axe man yesterday

imgp9zjz.jpg

Never had it before.

Got a couple bottles of Zombie Dust that are not even a week old from the bottling date. I can't pass that kind of freshness up.

Also got a bottle of Three Floyds Alpha Kong (Belgian strong pale ale) and Wig Splitter (oatmeal stout with espresso). And damn, the Alpha Kong was expensive. I was second guessing it when I saw the price at the register, but the guy was telling me it was the first time in 7 years it has been around.

Wigsplitter is damn good. Tastes like black coffee, and not quite as thick and heavy as stronger stouts. Awesome flavor and clocking in at 7.7% abv, so it ain't too powerful. Wonderful if you like coffee.

t-ramp

I was thinking about getting Sierra Nevada's Ovila barrel-aged dubbel, but couldn't bring myself to pay $25 for it. Ended up with these instead. Brewed at the same place, actually, if I'm not mistaken.

I also saw some of that Omnipollo Agamemnon at the store, had to pass though.

And apparently the liquor store can't keep hard root beer in stock due to the bizarre explosion of interest recently.

Evil Twin's stout game is very strong. Good choice there. Now get Soft DK by them after that.

And if they ever have any of the Jesus stouts, buy one. Worth every penny.

Because slumming is fun sometimes.

Case in point: went camping this weekend off the grid in Central WA (that explains 17 checkins in quick succession this morning on Untappd). Had killer beers: Abraxas, Holy Mountain, Fremont Session Pale, Grapefruit sculpin cans, others PNW craft brews.

We also drank these for SHIT BEER FRIDAY.

0W7v8zZl.jpg

Going to be in LA in 2 weeks from Buffalo. Any must go to bars/bottle shops? Easiest way to get a hold of Russian River stuff (specifically Pliny, but sours if possible). Anything else I should look out for that I can't get on the East coast?

Sorry I just saw this, do you know whereabouts in LA you'll be staying/visiting? Will you have a car? There are a lot of great bottle shops that should have a lot of beers you don't get distributed over there. Unfortunately there's not really a sure-fire way to know when a shop gets Russian River and they don't have it in stock long so you just have to be lucky. We don't get a ton of Russian River sours distributed here so you'll probably be out of luck for those. Pliny should be on tap somewhere or other, places like Blue Palms/Surly Goat/Boneyard Bistro/Glendale Tap seem to have it on decently often.

Also, LA itself has some fantastic breweries to check out. Easy to gloss over when you're surrounded by great stuff to the north and south but breweries like Beachwood, Highland Park, Smog City, El Segundo, and Three Weavers have all been killing it.

FStop7

Banned
I was at a nice restaurant on Friday, they happened to have Weihenstephaner hefeweizen in bottles. I'd heard good things and ordered one.

Easily one of the best beers I've ever had. We had some soft cheeses + fresh bread + strawberry jam as an appetizer. The flavor contrasts between the cheese, jam, and beer were incredible.

Had pork loin as an entree and another beer to join it. Again, the contrasting flavors made everything taste better.

It's amazing how a good beer can enhance an already good meal.

HiResDes

I'm super strict with my check ins have to be Shane drinking it right there, won't do repeat check ins, and if I didn't get a picture no check in lol.

Also I'm really surprised NYFRB got so popular because in my opinion if it's truly better than hard root beer most hard root beer mist be complete shit. Medicinal sugar bomb

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry I just saw this, do you know whereabouts in LA you'll be staying/visiting? Will you have a car? There are a lot of great bottle shops that should have a lot of beers you don't get distributed over there. Unfortunately there's not really a sure-fire way to know when a shop gets Russian River and they don't have it in stock long so you just have to be lucky. We don't get a ton of Russian River sours distributed here so you'll probably be out of luck for those. Pliny should be on tap somewhere or other, places like Blue Palms/Surly Goat/Boneyard Bistro/Glendale Tap seem to have it on decently often.

Also, LA itself has some fantastic breweries to check out. Easy to gloss over when you're surrounded by great stuff to the north and south but breweries like Beachwood, Highland Park, Smog City, El Segundo, and Three Weavers have all been killing it.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll be all around (downtown, burbank, anaheim, even Santa Barbara for a few days) and will have car. I'll definitely add some of the local breweries to my list of places to stop by. Any personal favorites out of the ones you listed?

PG2G

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll be all around (downtown, burbank, anaheim, even Santa Barbara for a few days) and will have car. I'll definitely add some of the local breweries to my list of places to stop by. Any personal favorites out of the ones you listed?

If you're going to be in Santa Barbara make sure you pay a visit to Firestone Walker Barrelworks in Buelton (around 45 minutes north). It is a branch of FW that is focused entirely on BA beers and Sours. None of the stuff made there currently goes into distribution. Believe they are open Friday-Sunday

Holy crap, Coney Island Hard Root Beer is fucking horrific. It tastes like a bad bottle of diet root beer. I only got a quarter of the way through the bottle before pouring it out. I couldn't even hate drink it.

Not Your Father's Root Beer at least tasted like a regular root beer. Jesus, I can't get the taste of this out of my mouth right now.

I'm glad you'll have a car and you chose a good group of places brewery-wise. Definitely seconding FW in Buellton, and when you're in Anaheim, there are multiple breweries nearby you could hit up (The Bruery, Bottle Logic, Noble, more I'm forgetting). There's not a ton in Burbank itself (Tony's Darts Away is your best beer bar option there probably) but you'll be within reasonable driving distance of bars like Glendale Tap and The Hermosillo (which houses Highland Park Brewery even).

What are your preferences beer-wise? I'm assuming you like IPAs and sours since you asked about the Russian River stuff so I think Smog City or Highland Park Brewery should be up your alley for both, depending what they happen to have.

Beer-GAF, I need help.

They're a brewery out of St. Louis. I live in Buffalo, NY and I'm trying to find their beer. They don't distribute. Does anyone know of any service that will sell beer across the country or anything like that?

It's for my girlfriend who lived in St. Louis for 9 years and loves their Pumpkin Ale.

Anyone want to send me some? I can compensate and/or send you some delicious Buffalo brew in return.

mcfrank

Beer-GAF, I need help.

They're a brewery out of St. Louis. I live in Buffalo, NY and I'm trying to find their beer. They don't distribute. Does anyone know of any service that will sell beer across the country or anything like that?

It's for my girlfriend who lived in St. Louis for 9 years and loves their Pumpkin Ale.

Anyone want to send me some? I can compensate and/or send you some delicious Buffalo brew in return.

My want to mention that you are looking for Schlafly (I saw your other thread). My suggestion would be to use the Beer Advocate trading forums. Trade something local in NY for the midwest beer.

codhand

im pretty sure you can get it in NY state, just maybe not the Buffalo area.....

I purchased some up in Brewster a couple years ago, and a friend picked some up in BK once. I realize that's far, but it means that they do distribute to NY.

http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/index.html

Yep, they're listed for NY.

Want To Sell Schlafly Beer?
Schlafly Beers are available in Arkansas, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York City, Tennessee, and Washington DC. If you are a retailer interested in carrying Schlafly Beer, please e-mail our sales department.

Looks limited to NYC.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/index.html

Yep, they're listed for NY.

Want To Sell Schlafly Beer?
Schlafly Beers are available in Arkansas, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York City, Tennessee, and Washington DC. If you are a retailer interested in carrying Schlafly Beer, please e-mail our sales department.

Looks limited to NYC.

Yeah, I'm here in Buffalo and can say I've only seen it in NYC area in NY state.

tmac456

Got a couple bottles of Zombie Dust that are not even a week old from the bottling date. I can't pass that kind of freshness up.

Also got a bottle of Three Floyds Alpha Kong (Belgian strong pale ale) and Wig Splitter (oatmeal stout with espresso). And damn, the Alpha Kong was expensive. I was second guessing it when I saw the price at the register, but the guy was telling me it was the first time in 7 years it has been around.

You did quite well it sounds like. Where are you from?

Wigsplitter is damn good. Tastes like black coffee, and not quite as thick and heavy as stronger stouts. Awesome flavor and clocking in at 7.7% abv, so it ain't too powerful. Wonderful if you like coffee.

Wig Splitter is fantastic. Glad I stocked up on those. Did you try the Zombie Dust yet?

Top Bottom