• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

codhand

Not sure how Rare Barrel won silver AND bronze in the sour category but good for them I guess.

Rare Barrel is killin it lately, Map of the Sun is an incredible wild ale, better than West Ashley good, not Fou Foune good, but the fact it comes close is impressive.

Rare Barrel is killin it lately, Map of the Sun is an incredible wild ale, better than West Ashley good, not Fou Foune good, but the fact it comes close is impressive.

I agree Map of the Sun is amazing (though I still preferred West Ashley) and I haven't had a bad beer from them, I just find their base golden/red sours + random fruit/spices formula to get a bit repetitive. I'm gonna be spending a lot more time in the area in the near future so I look forward to hitting up Rare Barrel/Fieldwork more regularly though.

Rare Barrel's guest taps are pretty consistently amazing too at least. Only place I've ever had Societe's The Pupil on tap and there's always a delicious Cellarmaker beer or two.

Decided to pick up a couple of the GABF medal winners I could find at the grocery store. Tried a couple Grimm Bros. Their Munich Dunkel, Fearless Youth & Snow Drop, their "Golden Ale." The Snow drop was ok, but more of an "imperial cream ale," (Köttbusser) if that's a thing. 7%, with added honey and molasses. The Fearless Youth was a pretty tasty Dunkel. I'd definitely pick that one up again.

After seeing a couple of folks mention the Ten Fiddy a few pages back, I grabbed a can on Sunday, and had it last night. That's some incredible stuff! Anything else from that brewery as good?

zpwQAQM.jpg

HiResDes

After seeing a couple of folks mention the Ten Fiddy a few pages back, I grabbed a can on Sunday, and had it last night. That's some incredible stuff! Anything else from that brewery as good?
No, not quite on that level. G'Knight their imperial red is quite good too. And Mama Pils is a great representation of a style with a low ceiling.

Lotto

There were over ninety style categories awarded this year. If you want to earn medals, it's in your interest to try for the smaller niche categories. For a big, well-known brewery, they're going to be largely concentrating on more mainstream styles with lots of competition.

On the other hand, brewing a less popular style isn't as big of a commitment for a smaller brewery and having a niche can be a good differentiator. Just over the weekend, I happened to stop into Blind Tiger in Topeka. I'd never heard of them, but you walk in and they've got a dozen GABF medals and several World Beer Cup certificates in a case near the entrance. If you look, they're for bock, or smoke beer, or rye beer, or Kolsch.

In any case, I'm pretty thrilled to see such strong showings from lesser known entrants. It's absolutely the direction I like seeing. Less truck chasing. More local beer.

that makes a lot of sense and you're right, i wasn't trying to imply that not knowing most of the breweries that won is a bad thing, i think it's fantastic. i've had a similar experience at a pretty small place here called intergalactic brewing that surprised the hell out of me, they've won a bunch of awards and i believe just started bottling their beers but everything i tried there is solid. they also tend to have SMaSH brews rotating (usually 2-row + hop) which is lovely.

http://www.intergalacticbrew.com/beer

Impatiently waiting for some 2015 cans to hit around here. I have a can of 2013 and a can of 2014 waiting so I can do all three years in one long night.

Bacon

Impatiently waiting for some 2015 cans to hit around here. I have a can of 2013 and a can of 2014 waiting so I can do all three years in one long night.

That sounds rad. Unfortunately by the third can you're gonna have a hard time remembering what the first can tasted like :p

Pinner is super tasty and the new blue dream ipa is hopped with some herbal, dank hops (no surprise with the cannabis reference in the name).

ccbfan

Had a 2012 from a tap a few weeks ago and it was phenominal. Best stout I've had hands down.

This year I'm gonna buy 24 cans. 12 for this year, 12 to age.

Thank god. Breakfast Stout 2015 is on shelves. Truly the best season.

Grabbed a pack of that, a bottle of Bell's 30th anniversary stout, and Three Floyds Oktoberfest and some other double IPA from them that I can't remember.

HiResDes

Thank god. Breakfast Stout 2015 is on shelves. Truly the best season.

Grabbed a pack of that, a bottle of Bell's 30th anniversary stout, and Three Floyds Oktoberfest and some other double IPA from them that I can't remember.
Yo pls report back with impressions of that anniversary Stout.

Just opened one. Go get it. Thick, rich, viscous and will age very well. They need to to keep making this one. Slight bit of hops but not like Expedition.
Best way to put it. Sadly, the store had a limit of one bottle per customer. And only $4 a bottle, it is a steal.

So damn thick and yummy. Like a stout should be.

Beer pickups? Beer pickups.

n1SF2x9l.jpg

Fremont goodness. Kentucky Dark Star, FRESH HOPS and some Hop Lab IPAs.

pJXSr8Q.jpg

Crux fresh hop mini growlers straight from the source. Cruxarillo (Amarillo), Mo Fresh Hop (Mosaic) and Fresh Hop Cryztal Zwickel.

4xgUlih.jpg

Did a trade with a buddy in Bend. Got a Black Butte^3, Sunriver Vicious Mosquito IPA (so good) and three FRESH HOPS.

3kuCABf.jpg

And a Brew 1000 on the shelf in the garage.

BeerGAF! I'm heading out to Colorado today through Sunday. At some point during my time I'll be in the areas of Denver, Colorado Springs, and Boulder. Thinking of stopping by Great Divide, Crooked Stave, or detouring over to Oskar Blues, any other can't miss breweries I should try and check out?

Vindication! I'm not crazy for thinking certain sour beers smell like bile!

http://blogs.denverpost.com/beer/2015/09/22/beware-the-kettle-sour-beer/15501/

He acknowledges not all kettled sours are bad. But the ones that are, are putrid with major flaws, producing beers that smell like vomit or hot Dumpsters.

“Not only does the souring happen quickly, but the bad stuff can happen quickly,” he said.

He worries people who are just starting to explore sours will be immediately put off by the poorer versions.

“The public, I think, hasn’t had enough good sour beer and doesn’t understand the difference between barnyard funk of a traditional sour beer and the taste of a kettle sour,” he said. “Vomit is not a thing that should be in there.”

Traditional aged-sours can transform those bad flavors and tastes. Vomit, for example, can become a pineapple smell.

“But that doesn’t happen in two weeks.”

Anyone a member of any of The Bruery's three societies? Seems like a great way to get of their more limited creations, and they won't ship outside of California, but my parents are down in Southern California, and could pick them up every quarter.

I've heard the special-invitation-only Hoarders Society benefits (and cost) are incredible.

Made the trek to Jackie O's last night for bottles of Bourbon Barrel Black Maple. Almost 3 hours each way but worth the trip since it's not getting distributed this year.

pablito

30 minutes before the end of my shift and I get a text from my buddy of bottle of Alpine Hoppy Birthday and Nelson. PLEASE God don't let them be sold out when I get there.

Today I had six fresh hop beers.

Airways FH Citra IPA
Georgetown FH Cousin Eddie IPL (Mosaic)
Georgetown FH Johnny Utah (Citra)
Crux Cruxarillo (Amarillo)
Crux Mo Fresh Hop (Mosaic)
Crux Fresh Hop Crystal Zwickel

FH Johnny Utah and Mo Fresh Hop were both rock solid. None of the beers were bad.

PG2G

Anyone a member of any of The Bruery's three societies? Seems like a great way to get of their more limited creations, and they won't ship outside of California, but my parents are down in Southern California, and could pick them up every quarter.

I've heard the special-invitation-only Hoarders Society benefits (and cost) are incredible.

I was Preservation Society for s year or two and upgraded to Reservation in 2015.

PG2G

Congrats! You happy with it?

You end up spending a lot of money and having a massive amount of beer. I've been happy with it for the most part, beers are hit and miss but being (relatively) local, the events and special pours at the tasting room are pretty nice.

Right now I am members of probably 3 or 4 different 'societies.' Seems like most of them went from selling out in a few weeks last year to selling out in minutes this year. It's kinda scary, lol. I'm in the buy now and hold on forever mode :p

The article is clearly slanted. As a homebrewer with an affinity to sours, I want to reinforce that a hot side souring phase can produce fantastic beers. Though, I can confirm that playing fast and loose with your souring phase is just asking for trouble.

The article says just as much. It also says they can be terrible and sold for outrageous prices.

HiResDes

The article says just as much. It also says they can be terrible and sold for outrageous prices.

I just had a sour from Weyerbacher last night on tap that I was pleasantly surprised by, the bad thing is the place didn't even have the name of it and the brewery has several of them so I'm now trying ti piece together which one I had. It's kind of hilarious. I'm pretty sure it was Tarte Nouveau, was cheap as hell, but maybe that's cuz of the low abv.

Lotto

Also saw a ton of Green Flash Nelson bottles at my local liquor store. I thought they would be cheaper considering the merger. Alpine sells their bottles for 5.50 a pop but it was 8.99 down here
and it doesn't even taste as good
this isn't what I wanted from the merger at all

uc6ciT0.gif

In other news, I picked up a Almanac Citra Sour and also saw a Simcoe Sour. I wanted both but these prices are killin' me. Think I'll pick it up next week if it's still there. Keene Idea on tap at a local pub too, probably gonna get some of that tonight.

PG2G

Also saw a ton of Green Flash Nelson bottles at my local liquor store. I thought they would be cheaper considering the merger. Alpine sells their bottles for 5.50 a pop but it was 8.99 down here
and it doesn't even taste as good
this isn't what I wanted from the merger at all

uc6ciT0.gif

In other news, I picked up a Almanac Citra Sour and also saw a Simcoe Sour. I wanted both but these prices are killin' me. Think I'll pick it up next week if it's still there. Keene Idea on tap at a local pub too, probably gonna get some of that tonight.

Even Alpine is selling the GF bottles now :/ The only saving grace will be if this means that beers like Keene Idea and Bad Boy are available more regularly at the brewery.

I had KI earlier this year when they did growler fills, one of the best IPAs I've ever had by far. Drank a whole 2L on my own haha

Another day, four more fresh hops. Went on a 10 mile run and stopped for some 4 oz pours at few breweries.

Lucky Envelope FH Citra Pale
Reubens FH Amarillo Pale
Reubens FH Centennial Pale
Stoup Over the Top FH IPA (Simcoe)

Top Bottom