• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Hopefully it'll mean i can find their hoppy beers fresher than like four months old even though the brewery is in the same state as I am.

I did see 12-packs of pint cans of 805 at Trader Joe's the other day. Pretty clever packaging idea and it's a decent enough beer for the price/heat.

I never realised there was a Beer OT! I got some lovely Belgian beers in for my birthday tomorrow. Looking forward to trying a Pannepot, I have heard some good things.

My whole haul:

2f9AldM.jpg

PG2G

The deal was primarily for Europe and other countries, but I'm sure you'll see them in more states down the line.

Sounds more like the Lagunitas/Heineken deal.

I don't think any of the Duvel deals have had a focus on getting beer of to Europe. Boulevard is all over the place now, I'd expect to see Firestone Walker grow similarly with some time. It's only been a few months

Sounds more like the Lagunitas/Heineken deal.

I don't think any of the Duvel deals have had a focus on getting beer of to Europe. Boulevard is all over the place now, I'd expect to see Firestone Walker grow similarly with some time. It's only been a few months

Whoops. I was totally thinking of the San Miguel/Founders deal.

Decado

I never realised there was a Beer OT! I got some lovely Belgian beers in for my birthday tomorrow. Looking forward to trying a Pannepot, I have heard some good things.

My whole haul:

Pannepot is amazing. Brought back a few when I last visited belgium (the regular and Grand Reserva). Never seen them in NA. Two of my favourite quads. Also had on tap in Antwerp. Was so sad to leave that place :(

EDIT: Actually, with the Bernardus 12, Rochefort 10, and Pannepot, you have arguably three of the best quads around in your haul.

Yeah Pannepot is damn good, don't remember the last time I drank a quad but if I saw a nicely aged version I wouldn't pass it up. I don't think a ton makes it to North America, really depends on the distributor tbh. Bummed I didn't have more time in Bruges to hit up their bottle shop :(

Pannepot is amazing. Brought back a few when I last visited belgium (the regular and Grand Reserva). Never seen them in NA. Two of my favourite quads. Also had on tap in Antwerp. Was so sad to leave that place :(

EDIT: Actually, with the Bernardus 12, Rochefort 10, and Pannepot, you have arguably three of the best quads around in your haul.

Living in England makes buying Belgian beers not too expensive or difficult thankfully. My other half is living in Germany at the moment so when I drive back and forth I stop off in Belgium and pick up a load of beers too.

I have been really excited to try the Pannepot, I have already had the Bernardus several times and love it, I only had the Rochefort once before I think and I loved it so made sure to pick up a glass too.

Have a Westverleten in the frdige too, saving it for a special occasion.

Block 15 Brewing here in Corvallis tapped a surprise batch of 2012 Super Nebula Imperial Stout last night. It was really fun to run down and try a couple of glasses.

I'll be in Seattle in a couple days. Will I be able to find this?

Trying to come up with a list of stuff to bring back to Vancouver.

Update.

Fremont pulled the cans until their official release party next Wednesday. Looks like they put them out for two days for the locals and will be waiting a week now to sell the rest.

Night Shift is great. Enjoy. My wife brought me back their oyster Gose last week.

MOAR FRESH HOP TODAY. Had Big Time's Centennial fresh hop pale. Tomorrow is Hale's simcoe fresh hop ISA. I love the PNW.

46dvm6ul.jpg

Also stopped at Fremont for this baby and a 6 oz pour. I really love the PNW.

Decado

Update.

Fremont pulled the cans until their official release party next Wednesday. Looks like they put them out for two days for the locals and will be waiting a week now to sell the rest.

Shitty. I never have much luck in the US. Hopefully I find enough beers of interest to fill my allotted amount.

I'll be in tomorrow afternoon. Leave Saturday.

Is there a one-stop bottle shop near I5 heading through or North of Seattle? I've seen a bunch that are recommended, but I'd prefer just to stop at one...that has wifi access :) Want to bring back the full two cases/17 litres.

Shitty. I never have much luck in the US. Hopefully I find enough beers of interest to fill my allotted amount.

I'll be in tomorrow afternoon. Leave Saturday.

Is there a one-stop bottle shop near I5 heading through or North of Seattle? I've seen a bunch that are recommended, but I'd prefer just to stop at one...that has wifi access :) Want to bring back the full two cases/17 litres.

Fremont restocked cans and then sold out again today.

I live in North Seattle. This is from the PCC by my house just now:

zekgv3tl.jpg

Bottleworks in Wallingford and Chucks in Greenwood are both good options. You could always hit up the Whole Foods by me on Roosevelt and the Green Lake PCC and probably get good stuff. You'd need to go to Fremont if you want Brew 1000 and you really should go to Holy Mountain.

The fact that they still refuse to can Axis Mundi makes my blood boil.

Seems like only the variants get any hype. I'm sure the cans would sell but everybody wants the IPAs. Look at Triple Digit w/ Cortex and Cranium. Cortex is a good stout, but until it's put in a barrel (Cranium) no one really cares.

Doubt anyone's surprised by anything except that it took them this long but Golden Road was acquired by AB-Inbev. I normally don't really care about these sorts of acquisitions but they can go fuck themselves with their Rogue-tier employee treatment and mostly shitty beer. I feel bad for all the new markets that are gonna be subjected to Point the Way IPA.

I don't think these acquisitions are really about new markets. This now gives ABI craft in WA, craft in OR and craft in CA. Time to dominate shelf space.

Fresh Hop Tour 2015 continued today...

Stopped at Georgetown Brewing for some Fresh Hop Manny's and a growler of their new Centennial fresh hop IPA called Dead Kenney. Will save for the Hawks game on Sunday.

Stopped at Toronado after a five mile run for some Fresh Hop Workhorse. Even better than the original and a reminder that old school hops are still good. This bad boy primarily uses fresh Nugget.

skynidas

Banned
Fresh Hop Tour 2015 continued today...

Stopped at Georgetown Brewing for some Fresh Hop Manny's and a growler of their new Centennial fresh hop IPA called Dead Kenney. Will save for the Hawks game on Sunday.

Stopped at Toronado after a five mile run for some Fresh Hop Workhorse. Even better than the original and a reminder that old school hops are still good. This bad boy primarily uses fresh Nugget.

I really want to try some of that fresh hop goodness, shame we don't have much of that here in Europe.

I am really enjoying this one.

This is why Fall in the PNW rules. Fuck pumpkin beers.

Quick, good beer in downtown Seattle. Also, easy to find good fresh hop as well.

Delaurenti's in Pike Place Market has the best bottle selection in the heart of downtown Seattle. Collins Pub best taplist if you're not willing to walk to Pine Box in Capitol Hill.

You should be able to find Holy Mountain's Amarillo FH and Fremont's Cowiche Canyon FH pale. Fresh hop beers are easy to find, everyone makes them out here.

Lotto

anyone pay attention to the GABF? i'm surprised i only recognized less than a dozen of those breweries that were awarded medals. goes to show how much beer i've actually tried i guess, there's just so many breweries.

PG2G

anyone pay attention to the GABF? i'm surprised i only recognized less than a dozen of those breweries that were awarded medals. goes to show how much beer i've actually tried i guess, there's just so many breweries.

Breweries have to explicitly enter and can only do so in up to 5 categories. I'd imagine most of the big boys that you've heard of dont bother because they don't need to.

On our quick trip down to Eugene yesterday, I checked out Hop Valley Brewing and Oakshire Brewing, which are right down the street from each other. Really enjoyed Oakshire, while HV was disappointingly mediocre. Fun afternoon, though!

Breweries have to explicitly enter and can only do so in up to 5 categories. I'd imagine most of the big boys that you've heard of dont bother because they don't need to.

RR entered Pliny last year randomly enough.

Good victories for WA and OR breweries, always nice to see them get recognition.

There were over ninety style categories awarded this year. If you want to earn medals, it's in your interest to try for the smaller niche categories. For a big, well-known brewery, they're going to be largely concentrating on more mainstream styles with lots of competition.

On the other hand, brewing a less popular style isn't as big of a commitment for a smaller brewery and having a niche can be a good differentiator. Just over the weekend, I happened to stop into Blind Tiger in Topeka. I'd never heard of them, but you walk in and they've got a dozen GABF medals and several World Beer Cup certificates in a case near the entrance. If you look, they're for bock, or smoke beer, or rye beer, or Kolsch.

In any case, I'm pretty thrilled to see such strong showings from lesser known entrants. It's absolutely the direction I like seeing. Less truck chasing. More local beer.

I doubt we'll ever see the truck chasing end (oh boy am I looking forward to BCBS Rare shitshow 2.0) but it's definitely great to see local breweries get some attention. Smog City won silver for their fantastic kumquat saison so I'm really happy for them. Not sure how Rare Barrel won silver AND bronze in the sour category but good for them I guess.

The only time we ever get truck chasing in Seattle is when some asshole finds out when there is a Shelton (ie. Cantillon) shipment in town.

Ghostfish Brewing here in Seattle won Gold and Bronze for the gluten-free category. They actually make good GF beer.

WA Winners said:
Gold Immersion Amber Ale Two Beers Brewing Co. Seattle WA American-Style Amber/Red Ale 2015
Bronze Boulder Bend Dunkelweizen Fish Brewing Co. Olympia WA American-Style Wheat Beer With Yeast 2015
Bronze Old Skook Three Magnets Brewing Olympia WA Barley Wine-Style Ale 2015
Bronze Dry Stout Reuben's Brews Seattle WA Classic Irish-Style Dry Stout 2015
Bronze Helles Lager Lucky Envelope Brewing Seattle WA Dortmunder or German-Style Oktoberfest 2015
Bronze Chuckanut Dunkel Chuckanut Brewery Bellingham WA European-Style Dark/Münchner Dunkel 2015
Gold Chuckanut Kolsch Style Chuckanut Brewery Bellingham WA German-Style Kölsch 2015
Gold Gose Reuben's Brews Taproom Seattle WA German-Style Sour Ale 2015
Gold Watchstander Stout Ghostfish Brewing Co. Seattle WA Gluten-Free Beer 2015
Bronze Ghostfish Grapefruit IPA Ghostfish Brewing Co. Seattle WA Gluten-Free Beer 2015
Gold Old Scrooge Silver City Brewery Bremerton WA Old Ale or Strong Ale 2015
Silver Spitfire Best Bitter Flyers Restaurant and Brewery Oak Harbor WA Ordinary or Special Bitter 2015
Gold Wild Warehouse Wander Brewing Bellingham WA Wood- and Barrel-Aged Beer 2015

OR winners said:
Silver Proletariat Red Lompoc Brewing - The 5th Quadrant Portland OR American-Style Amber/Red Ale 2015
Bronze Black Diamond Bend Brewing Co. Bend OR American-Style Dark Lager 2015
Silver Rasplendent Mazama Brewing Co. Corvallis OR American-Style Fruit Beer 2015
Gold Disorder Stout Barley Brown's Brewpub Baker City OR American-Style Stout 2015
Bronze P2P 10 Barrel Brewing Co. Bend OR American-Style Stout 2015
Gold Ratchet Strap IPA Barley Brown's Beer Baker City OR American-Style Strong Pale Ale 2015
Bronze Petite Classique The Commons Brewery Portland OR Belgian- and French-Style Ale 2015
Gold Turbulent Consequence, Peche Block 15 Corvallis OR Belgian-Style Lambic or Sour Ale 2015
Gold Shanghai'd IPA Old Town Brewing Portland OR English-Style India Pale Ale 2015
Gold Beaverton Blonde Golden Valley Brewery and Pub McMinnville OR English-Style Summer Ale 2015
Silver Pilsner pFriem Family Brewers Hood River OR German-Style Pilsener 2015
Silver Volkssekt Bend Brewing Co. Bend OR German-Style Sour Ale 2015
Bronze Cucumber Crush 10 Barrel Brewing Co. Bend OR German-Style Sour Ale 2015
Silver IPA No. 5 Ground Breaker Brewing Portland OR Gluten-Free Beer 2015
Silver Eazy Duz It IIPA Laurelwood Public House and Brewery Portland OR Imperial India Pale Ale 2015
Bronze MASSIVE! 2013 Gigantic Brewing Co. Portland OR Old Ale or Strong Ale 2015
Gold Blitzkrieg Bock Fat Head's Brewery - Portland Portland OR Rye Beer 2015
Gold MacPelican's Wee Heavy Ale Pelican Pub & Brewery Pacific City OR Scotch Ale 2015
Silver Hazelnut Brown Nectar Rogue Ales Newport OR Specialty Beer 2015

There were over ninety style categories awarded this year. If you want to earn medals, it's in your interest to try for the smaller niche categories. For a big, well-known brewery, they're going to be largely concentrating on more mainstream styles with lots of competition.

On the other hand, brewing a less popular style isn't as big of a commitment for a smaller brewery and having a niche can be a good differentiator. Just over the weekend, I happened to stop into Blind Tiger in Topeka. I'd never heard of them, but you walk in and they've got a dozen GABF medals and several World Beer Cup certificates in a case near the entrance. If you look, they're for bock, or smoke beer, or rye beer, or Kolsch.

In any case, I'm pretty thrilled to see such strong showings from lesser known entrants. It's absolutely the direction I like seeing. Less truck chasing. More local beer.

I've been pretty impressed by everything I've had from Blind Tiger when I've gotten a chance. They've done excellent examples of random lagers (their dunkle and Vienna were amazing), their big IPAs are rock solid and their sours are delicious. They only every swing up here for the occasional beer fest, and I haven't been able to hit up the tap room in Topeka, but one of these day's I'll make it out there.

Top Bottom