• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I've got a 2006 Abyss I've been hanging on to for my 10 year wedding anniversary next July.

Just buy lots of beer and you'll forget you have it. ;-)

Anyone (ie. Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa) getting Surly Wet this year? I had the 2013 version and wasn't impressed, but they're using Yakima Valley Simcoe this year, so I'm hopeful it's better. I'd be willing to trade a bomber of Fremont Cowiche Canyon fresh hop (Citra/Simcoe) for a single can. Figured a 22 oz bottle for a 16 oz can is more fair than a 12 oz can. Straight up 1:1 trade. Easy.

I need to try it. For science. And fresh hop.

codhand

Anyone (ie. Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa) getting Surly Wet this year? I had the 2013 version and wasn't impressed, but they're using Yakima Valley Simcoe this year, so I'm hopeful it's better. I'd be willing to trade a bomber of Fremont Cowiche Canyon fresh hop (Citra/Simcoe) for a single can. Figured a 22 oz bottle for a 16 oz can is more fair than a 12 oz can. Straight up 1:1 trade. Easy.

wet hop beers eh

I'll grab some if I see it in Council Bluffs. If I snag some, I'll let you know

t-ramp

Oh boy. Stone Crime and Punishment are out. I am curious to try them, but not $20 a bottle curious.
They made them again?

I wouldn't be totally shocked if some were still lingering on shelves somewhere after two years. I still don't know why they apparently made so much of them compared to Southern Charred, which was fantastic.

Also, I saw Iowa and a couple other states are getting Ballast Point soon, which is pretty cool.

HiResDes

Can someone explain to my why fresh hops seem to be mainly a PNW thing and why they don't see at least limited distribution in other regions?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Can someone explain to my why fresh hops seem to be mainly a PNW thing and why they don't see at least limited distribution in other regions?

Hops come from the PNW.

Fresh hops rot super quick. So you need to add it ideally same day. This naturally restricts their usage. People get it overnighted at great expense, but you have to use so much it really doesn't make a ton of sense for breweries not within driving distance of the farms.

You're starting to see more fresh hops in areas where old school hops can be grown outside the PNW (like Michigan, Minnesota and Nebraska), but seeing how the big name hops are still patented, they're only available in WA and OR. Out here everyone makes them because it's a super quick drive to the Yakima (WA) and Willamette (OR) valleys and doesn't require outrageous shipping costs like you see with Surly and Founders who have WA/OR hops overnighted

One of our WA breweries, Bale Breaker, is on a hop farm in Moxee. It's something like three minutes from bine to kettle with their Piled High Imperial Fresh Hop.

Bacon

Yeah i've been looking for fresh hopped beers recently because of this thread and haven't found much. Any suggestions for places to look in the Southwestern CT/NY area?

Yeah i've been looking for fresh hopped beers recently because of this thread and haven't found much. Any suggestions for places to look in the Southwestern CT/NY area?

Founders Harvest Ale, whenever they get around to releasing it. If you get Deschutes you'll see their Hop Trip in six packs and Chasin' Freshies in bombers. Other than that I have no clue what the FH scene is like out your way.

I'm up to 28 different fresh hops so far this season. Still lots on the way and a few in my fridge I haven't had yet.

They should start showing up around here soon. I remember seeing Deschutes, Fat Head's, Founders and a few others last year. Citra High releases tomorrow so I'm all in on that.

You guys get Two Brothers? They've got some local farmers supplying hops for Heavy Handed (and Heavier Handed) around this time of year.

Like distantmantra said, most of the hot ticket hops are still under patent and grown exclusively in the PNW, but you can find some more traditional American hops grown all over the place. HH is Chinook, Cascade, and/or Centennial depending on what variety you get. Check the bottle, it should say which.

I know Sierra uses the hop oils but I don't believe Chasin' Freshies or Hop Trip does.

I had Fresh Squeezed, but now I just read that it's not fresh hopped in any way lol.

A good rule of thumb is this: do you see the beer year round? Then it's not a fresh hop. Freh hop beers are on the shelf between August and October, depending on the hop variety used.

Hop Trip (fresh Crystal hops) and Chasin' Freshies (this year is fresh Lemondrop hops, last year was Mosaic) are fresh hop beers. Fresh Squeezed is just a play on the phrase "fresh squeezed orange juice" due to the flavor imparted by the (dried) Mosaic hops. It started out as a draft only beer at their pub on Bond Street in Bend. It was so popular that Deschutes added it to their year round retail lineup. And since it's a year round beer, it's definitely not a fresh hop.

Sierra Nevada's Hop Hunter uses oils from fresh hops. It's a really cool idea, but the beer itself doesn't remind me of a fresh hop beer. And then Sierra Nevada had to go and make things even more confusing with their Celebration Ale. If you look at the label, it says "fresh hop." It's not a fresh hop in the whole "go to the fields, pick hops fresh off the vine and throw them in the kettle" method. Celebration uses the first dried hops from the yearly harvest, so they're technically freshly dried. SN is really stubborn about the whole thing and claims that what they do is fresh hop, and everyone else does wet hopping. This is why you see some parts of the country call FH beers Wet Hops. Wet hop isn't a term you see very much out in Oregon and Washington. Argh.

Also, I loved Schell's FH Equinox Pilsner last year. Not sure what they're doing this year, but if you get Schell's I'd say it's probably worth drinking.

Tarkus

Going to a huge authentic Oktoberfest tomorrow. I'll try to write down everything I try. Any suggestions? This one has always been my favorite.
Paulaner_Oktoberfest.jpg

pablito

Anyone have an October Enjoy After? A little over 3 weeks for the first ever date. I have 2 Decembers. Think of getting one for drinking prior to the date to compare.

Snagged some more fresh hops today.

4-pack of Ft. George's Fresh IPA (Mosaic)
Paradise Creek's Alpha Madness (Citra, Mosaic and Equinox)
Silver City Citra Wet Hop
Finnriver's Fresh Hop Cider (Centennial)

Bottle release at Holy Mountain tomorrow. Will get to finally try their FH Citra pale with Brett called Ritual. Psyched.

Bacon

Just saw that a place near me will be selling these bottles next friday. Anything I should grab?

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale
Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale
Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale
Stone Double Bastard Ale 2008
Stone Imperial Russian Stout 2011
Stone Old Guardian 2008
Stone Old Guardian 2009
Stone Old Guardian 2010

I don't usually get any of Stone's regular stuff anymore. Now it is just Enjoy By and their collaboration releases.

Although I am a sucker for Old Guardian.

Oddly enough, I'm going to a tasting tonight of:

Stone Stochasticity Your Father Smelt of Elderberries
Stone Enjoy By 10.31.15
Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 Encore
Stone 24 Carrot Golden Ale

Never had any of those before, so I'm curious.

HiResDes

Damn, man. What did they do?
Over hop every beer and every style offering, and coax me into trying that Imperial Chai Stout, which was one of the worst imperial stouts I've ever had... Not to mention it wasn't exactly cheap. I was drunk when I wrote that I don't wish them any ill will. I just genuinely don't like most of their offerings besides that Green Tea IPA, which ironically received some flack from not being hopped enough.

I don't even like the way they name their beers these days shit is confusing.

Oh and now that I've finally found and fell in love with Burton Baton I feel as though I got screwed on the Oak Arrogant Bastard, which was just another bitter hop bomb without any malt backbone.

PG2G

Over hop every beer and every style offering, and coax me into trying that Imperial Chai Stout, which was one of the worst imperial stouts I've ever had... Not to mention it wasn't exactly cheap. I was drunk when I wrote that I don't wish them any ill will. I just genuinely don't like most of their offerings besides that Green Tea IPA, which ironically received some flack from not being hopped enough.

I don't even like the way they name their beers these days shit is confusing.

Oh and now that I've finally found and fell in love with Burton Baton I feel as though I got screwed on the Oak Arrogant Bastard, which was just another bitter hop bomb without any malt backbone.

You should try some of their BA stuff like Fyodor's Classic and Southern Charred, great stuff. Don't know how well they are distributed though

Just saw that a place near me will be selling these bottles next friday. Anything I should grab?

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale
Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale
Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale
Stone Double Bastard Ale 2008
Stone Imperial Russian Stout 2011
Stone Old Guardian 2008
Stone Old Guardian 2009
Stone Old Guardian 2010

Double Bastard and Imperial Russian Stout. Those two age the best. Old Guardian if you like hoppy barleywines.

codhand

Double Bastard ages phenomenally.

had a 12.12.12 recently not my thing but it was better than when it was fresh for certain.

Stone RIS aged, eh, no thanks.

Top Bottom