• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Lotto

Pretty sure it'll taste the same, not that hard to drown a stout in adjuncts. The OG version was delicious so I'm sure this year's will taste pretty similar. Haven't tried the barrel-aged or "soured" (read: infected) special releases but I doubt you can go wrong with the standard version.

Cool, that's reassuring. They're releasing a barrel-aged version of it as well? I'm gonna have to hunt that down too.. it's hard to pass up on BA stuff. The six pack was pretty pricey (17.99), but I heard they weren't doing bombers anymore because it ends up being cheaper, still like 3 bucks a pop.

HiResDes

Just picked up a six pack of Stone Xocoveza. Apparently they're not putting them in bombers this year? Can't wait to try it since I remember people saying it was really good. Not even sure if it's gonna taste the same as last time but I missed it the first go around so I wouldn't know, someone that's tried the one from last year should do a comparison of this year's!

OMG I gotta get a sixpack too, hype

PG2G

Cool, that's reassuring. They're releasing a barrel-aged version of it as well? I'm gonna have to hunt that down too.. it's hard to pass up on BA stuff. The six pack was pretty pricey (17.99), but I heard they weren't doing bombers anymore because it ends up being cheaper, still like 3 bucks a pop.

They did a few months (Charred and Extra Anjeo) ago but it was brewery only due to a lot of the barrels being infected (which they recently released as Locoveza). Great beers and sounds like there is another batch in the works

ShinAmano

They did a few months (Charred and Extra Anjeo) ago but it was brewery only due to a lot of the barrels being infected (which they recently released as Locoveza). Great beers and sounds like there is another batch in the works
I hope there is...and that some comes to Richmond. ..come on stone have to prime the market over here with tasty brews.

Just picked up a six pack of Stone Xocoveza. Apparently they're not putting them in bombers this year? Can't wait to try it since I remember people saying it was really good. Not even sure if it's gonna taste the same as last time but I missed it the first go around so I wouldn't know, someone that's tried the one from last year should do a comparison of this year's!
Oh shit. Xocoveza's back? Happy to hear that. One of the best Stone special releases in some years.

Seems like they're doing sixpacks of several of their beers that were previously bomber only. Enjoy By most particularly.

Oh, shit. Six packs? Hell, yes!

So...Utopias is on the shelf at the local shop...anyone iso? :)

$200 a bottle.
I've got a buddy who shared a short pour from a 2012 bottle with me last year. It was by far one of the most interesting and well constructed beverages I've ever had. I'd have a hard time passing up a bottle, even at $200.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
brought some beers that was recomneded to me few pages back and also ordered some others which are these below

Siren Quadrophenia (really nice

Siren Broken Dream (not tried )

Rochefort 10 (amazing by far my fav so far )

Schneider Aventinus (Tap 6) (not tried yet )

Durham Temptation (really nice)

Left Hand Brewing Black Jack Porter (not tried)

Thornbridge Beadeca's Well (this was very nice)

Leffe Radieuse (not tried )

brought some beers that was recomneded to me few pages back and also ordered some others which are these below

Siren Quadrophenia (really nice

Siren Broken Dream (not tried )

Rochefort 10 (amazing by far my fav so far )

Schneider Aventinus (Tap 6) (not tried yet )

Durham Temptation (really nice)

Left Hand Brewing Black Jack Porter (not tried)

Thornbridge Beadeca's Well (this was very nice)

Leffe Radieuse (not tried )
Did you have the Rochefort ice cold or a bit warmer. I'm a fan of that one at just below room temp.

Badgerst3

Come on beer Gaf- Black Friday is almost here.

Need to be guided on where to search for the annual holy grail- Bourbon County lineup.

I am not even a huge craft beer aficionado but damn- last years Imperial Stout was fantastic.

I have bought into the hype.

Plus it's a reason to leave the house Friday am before the wife tries to go shopping

Local beer place had their twice-annual Cellar Sale (bottles the owner stashes away for future sales), with some beers reaching back to the early 2000s. My purchases:

0SAg5Q1.jpg
2014 Block 15 Figgy Pudding
2012 Block 15 Bourbon Barreled Belmont Station 15
2010 Block 15 Pappy's Dark
2013 Shmaltz Brewing Jewbelation Fifteen (this stuff is incredible)
2015 De Garde Saison Premiere
2013 Stone Southern Charred
2012 J.W.Lees Harvest Matured in Lagavulin Whiskey Casks
2012 J.W.Lees Harvest Matured in Port Casks

Xun

Is it wrong one of the main reasons I'm going to Prague is for the beer?

I head off tomorrow morning.

The fact it's a nice city as well helps too, I guess.

Boxcar

Neo Member
I just cracked a Stone Sorry Not Sorry and there's no aroma, hardly any hop flavor...to me buying hoppy beers is a dice roll and you can't always trust the brewery/bottle date/etc.

HiResDes

This Buxton/Omnipollo Yellow Belly is interesting to say the least. Not sure it's worth $12, but it's tasty. Hard to follow a Prairie Bomb! though.

They finally released Axis Mundi in bottles. $12 for a 16 ounce, nope. It's like they've trolled me at this point.

Bruh have you had this, had this over a friend's house and gotta say it was so piff:

...I think it's as good as some of the whalez

They finally released Axis Mundi in bottles. $12 for a 16 ounce, nope. It's like they've trolled me at this point.

Bruh have you had this, had this over a friend's house and gotta say it was so piff:

...I think it's as good as some of the whalez

Yep, love Jackie O's. If you liked that you'll love the Rum barrel-aged and Bourbon barrel-aged versions they did (have both in the cellar...).

The de Garde party was good. Got to try stuff from Creature Comforts and Casa Agria for the first time. Also, The Archer is one of the best beers I've ever had. No joke.

Lotto

Jealous about that de Garde party. Everything I've tried from them is fantastic. I'd trade the Bruery for de Garde anyday (saying this as they seem to both be kind of wild/experimental beer companies.)

Had an impromptu bottle share last night. Not a bad lineup for short notice.

That Revolution Ryeway to Heaven is pretty outstanding. I recommend it.

Looks like a fun time.

Tried the Xocoveza yesterday and it's fantastic. Very nice spice to it, very much a holiday beer, didn't disappoint at all. Also went to a Mostra Coffee anniversary shindig and tried a bunch of stuff. M2 from Abnormal Beer co. was really nice, vanilla shines giving it a somewhat butterscotch/toffee flavor. Also had Locoveza which tasted exactly like an infected Xocoveza I had earlier haha, go figure! Had about 3 other dark beers throughout the day and finally got to try the Citra Sour from Almanac. Fun day.

The de Garde party was good. Got to try stuff from Creature Comforts and Casa Agria for the first time. Also, The Archer is one of the best beers I've ever had. No joke.

Jealous. I need to make the two-hour drive from Corvallis sometime soon. Maybe their next party.

Had their Imperial Black Raz Bu yesterday, and bought a bottle of their Saison Premiere.

Jealous. I need to make the two-hour drive from Corvallis sometime soon. Maybe their next party.

Had their Imperial Black Raz Bu yesterday, and bought a bottle of their Saison Premiere.

I've done the drive from Corvallis to Tillamook before, it's beautiful. Make a stop in Pacific City for some Russian River beers at Twist and the amazing view at Pelican.

Plowing through the rest of my Born Yesterday. Damn, is this beer right in the sweet spot.
Incredibly tasty and refreshing, a moderate abv of 6.5%, and damn cheap.

HiResDes

I gotta say Founders Curmudgeon is highly under appreciated in my estimation. I read countless reviews stating that it was overly harsh, booze, and nearly undrinkable. And while the booze is fairly present, I didn't find it to be overly harsh and certainly not bitter. It was just a tad on the sweet side of balanced, but quite smooth and not cloying in my estimation. I drank one fairly cold though, so maybe it tastes a bit harsher as it warms, but I came away highly impressed.

Come on beer Gaf- Black Friday is almost here.

Need to be guided on where to search for the annual holy grail- Bourbon County lineup.

I am not even a huge craft beer aficionado but damn- last years Imperial Stout was fantastic.

I have bought into the hype.

Plus it's a reason to leave the house Friday am before the wife tries to go shopping

I generally start looking at the Facebook pages for all the local big liquor stores. Well known ones will put up a release schedule some time this week.

Other than that, you can try randomly calling places to see if they are getting any. Based on what I've seen so far in Colorado, liquor stores are getting a much better allotment this year than they did last year. All the varieties will be available in larger amounts than last year.

Just picked up a couple of bottles of Bourbon County Stout from places that didn't seem to care about the black Friday date. Be on the lookout and call around to find some if you want some early.

The new bottle looks kinda cool.

Just picked up a couple of bottles of Bourbon County Stout from places that didn't seem to care about the black Friday date. Be on the lookout and call around to find some if you want some early.

My buddy grabbed me a regular bottle today. He was shopping at their local grocery store that has a really nice beer selection (North Seattle/Shoreline) and the boxes were out.

Apparently Pretty Little Things is calling it quits (or moving onto a real brewery, we'll see)

http://www.prettythingsbeertoday.com/wp/2015/for-a-beginning-there-must-be-an-end/

(This site is apparently getting hammered, so it might be down for a bit)

I hope they're just moving into their own brewspace. I really hope they're not shutting down due to the pay for play allegations/drunken tweet they made earlier this year. My wife would bring me their beers from Boston from time to time and I always liked what I had.

edit: Sounds like they're calling it quits. My wife is headed to Boston week after next, i'll have her get me one last Jack D'Or.

Finished off my Born Yesterday 6 pack today. So sad that it is gone.

Moving onto Dragon's Milk Triple Mash. Not bad. Not amazing, but hitting the spot.

Tomorrow, time to stock up on a ton of stuff for the long weekend. The in laws are in town, so I need a lot of stuff. I should go get a growler or three of stuff, but it won't last.

Badgerst3

Had an Avery The Beast last pm. Very smooth for a 17%abv grand cru.

May grab a few more as I start a hunt tomorrow for BCBS.

San Diego area.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Been a while since I dropped in here, but still seeing mainly US beers I can't get anyway :(. Here's some Euro stuff as a counterweight, splurged a bit today.

Especially curious about the Mathilda Soleil and the Struise Imperialist. I've never had a imperial pilsner before and Schneider is pretty consistently awesome. The Ayinger is to introduce a big weizener lover into one of the finest examples of its kind and the Celebrator... well, it's the season. Also a fourpack of Chimay's Doree since its such a nice low ABV Belgian.

Milchjon

Matilda Soleil wasn't really all that mindblowing, tho I guess I'm not the biggest weissbier fan. Have you ever tried the Aventinus Eisbock?

Also, I think Imperial Pilseners used to be simply called Bock around here until maybe a few years ago, when people started associating Imperial with all things strong and awesome. Shouldn't it be roughly equivalent to a somewhat hoppy pale bock?

I wish there was a better way of acquiring this information than randomly calling/driving to liquor stores.

Top Bottom