• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

pxleyes

Banned
Okay... Am I really the minority on the Southern Tier Pumpking?

I like a pumpkin beer, occasionally as a seasonal thing. This is the one that I've seen most recommended. I find it undrinkable.

It sold like absolute crazy 2-3 years ago, and then for some reason they decided to brew 10x as much and it just sits on the shelf. I think the original rarity led to its popularity. Now thats it's just one of literally hundreds of pumpkin beers, it doesn't stand up.

HiResDes

Okay... Am I really the minority on the Southern Tier Pumpking?

I like a pumpkin beer, occasionally as a seasonal thing. This is the one that I've seen most recommended. I find it undrinkable.

If you like pumpkin beer I don't really understand hating Pumpking, which is at worst a middling pumpkin beer. Though at this point they're pretty much all middling to me.

Lotto

i guess id say it advertises as an indian spice stout, and thats what it tastes like imo

Can't argue with that, it does taste like as it's advertised. I guess there isn't really anything to compare it to afaik so in that sense it is unique as well.

PBY

Banned
If you like pumpkin beer I don't really understand hating Pumpking, which is at worst a middling pumpkin beer. Though at this point they're pretty much all middling to me.

It actually just doesn't taste at all like pumpkin to me? It tastes like this weird mix of fall spices and vanilla and syrup, I barely even get pumpkin. Like if I tried it blind, I don't know that I'd really be able to guess it was a pumpkin beer.

HiResDes

It actually just doesn't taste at all like pumpkin to me? It tastes like this weird mix of fall spices and vanilla and syrup, I barely even get pumpkin. Like if I tried it blind, I don't know that I'd really be able to guess it was a pumpkin beer.

99 percent of them are the exact same artificial thing. 99 percent of them don't contain pumpkin. They're pumpkin spiced.

pxleyes

Banned

They are cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove beers. Pumpkin rarely plays in. This is why Good Gourd is the best pumpkin beer; light on spices and heavy on actual pumpkin.

HiResDes

They are cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove beers. Pumpkin rarely plays in. This is why Good Gourd is the best pumpkin beer; light on spices and heavy on actual pumpkin.

I want some Cigar City stuff so bad : (

Why they distribute right next door in Pennsylvania but feel like our market is too small is some bullshit. Pittsburgh is basically the sister city of Cincinnati.

PBY

Banned
99 percent of them are the exact same artificial thing. 99 percent of them don't contain pumpkin. They're pumpkin spiced.

Sure, I've had a ton of pumpkin beers - but even the shitty ones I actually get a pumpkin taste (usually too much, which is my main issue with most of them); this was just foul to me.

I like Cigar City's quite a bit for example. Heavy Seas' is also good. I think my favorite fall drink is Naked Flock Pumpkin Hard Cider, although its pretty damn sweet.

Des, you can't get Cigar City stuff near you?

HiResDes

Sure, I've had a ton of pumpkin beers - but even the shitty ones I actually get a pumpkin taste (usually too much, which is my main issue with most of them); this was just foul to me.

I like Cigar City's quite a bit for example. Heavy Seas' is also good. I think my favorite fall drink is Naked Flock Pumpkin Hard Cider, although its pretty damn sweet.

Des, you can't get Cigar City stuff near you?

No I wish man. I don't like the Heavy Seas one too much, it's definitely artificial tasting to me as well. I think my favorite that I've had is Schafly's Pumkin as easy as it is to get. Jolly Pumpkin's La Parcela if it counts too.

Hardywood made a supposedly mind-blowingly good pumpkin beer a couple of years ago that was actually a saison, I would also kill for that.

pxleyes

Banned
I want some Cigar City stuff so bad : (

Why they distribute right next door in Pennsylvania but feel like our market is too small is some bullshit. Pittsburgh is basically the sister city of Cincinnati.

I'm sorry :{ I live in Orlando, and travel to Tampa monthly, so if you ever want to trade for some of their stuff I'm your guy. I have a huge love for Midwestern breweries like Mad Tree and Great Lakes, so I'm always looking for traders up that way.

No I wish man. I don't like the Heavy Seas one too much, it's definitely artificial tasting to me as well. I think my favorite that I've had is Schafly's Pumkin as easy as it is to get. Jolly Pumpkin's La Parcela if it counts too.

Hardywood made a supposedly mind-blowingly good pumpkin beer a couple of years ago that was actually a saison, I would also kill for that.

If you like Dogfish Head Punkin'...

BNIsJH7.jpg

this_guy

I have to agree. Like a weird cinnamony taste and not much pumpkin.

If you like Dogfish Head Punkin'...
I didn't buy any this year, but I would at that price.

There is still Christmas stuff from last year sitting around. Not a fan of really any Christmas beers except the St. Bernardus, which is just a small variant on their godly quad. I will be buying that this year without hesitation.

I wasn't that impressed with Higher Math. I am hoping some age mellows it a bit, but it was just above average at best.

Fort, their other high ABV ale that hit this week, was much better. Nice, strong raspberry flavor as it warmed up some.

Tried some Fort last night. Guess I should have drank it warm since cold I could barely taste the raspberry over the alcohol content. Really didn't enjoy it that much.

Was organizing the basement, and accidentally knocked an Almanac Beer Co. Pumpkin Sour down onto the concrete. Didn't shatter, but it started spewing out, so I got to enjoy a great (but warm) beer with lunch.

That's a nice problem to have.

ShinAmano

Hardywood made a couple pumpkin beers but no saison...farmhouse, rum and whiskey. All ales I believe. Rum was great.

terrible

Banned
20130925.news.jpg

So apparently Aventinus mixed with Aventinus Eisbock aged in oak barrels with brett and/or lacto makes one hell of a beer. The original Aventinus character is just barely there on the finish and in a blind tasting I doubt I'd even have known it was a wheat beer. It honestly just tastes like a really solid Flanders red.

I love Aventinus so I guess I was hoping it'd just taste like a sour Aventinus but it's still incredible.

20130925.news.jpg

So apparently Aventinus mixed with Aventinus Eisbock aged in oak barrels with brett and/or lacto makes one hell of a beer. The original Aventinus character is just barely there on the finish and in a blind tasting I doubt I'd even have known it was a wheat beer. It honestly just tastes like a really solid Flanders red.

I love Aventinus so I guess I was hoping it'd just taste like a sour Aventinus but it's still incredible.
I must find this. Their eisbock is godly.

Lotto

Oooo, I've got to try that.

One of my first beers was a Rogue Dead Guy and I enjoyed it enough that I tried seeking similar 'Bock' styles. Eventually found myself with Aventinus and it was fantastic. My first IPA was from Anderson Valley and it was so bitter I couldn't understand why people enjoyed them. Wasn't till I tried Sculpin that I saw what all the hubbub was about. Anyway, anecdote aside my journey into craft beer basically started with Aventinus. I'm still not sure if I'm pronouncing it correctly.

Ah-ven-tie-nuhs?

terrible

Banned
I must find this. Their eisbock is godly.

Yeah their eisbock is ridiculous. I had a bottle I aged for two years recently and oh boy. I wish I was able to age more bottles but I couldn't help myself so I was only left with one at this point lol. I guess I should just stock up on the year old stuff available now.

Regular Aventinus just gets better and better as you age it too. At like 3-4 years it's one of the best beers around in my opinion. It's not spectacular fresh tbh, it takes like 4-6 months for it to really start getting great. If you know anyone that doesn't believe in aging beer give them a young aventinus and an aged one and you'll convert them pretty quickly lol.

One of my first beers was a Rogue Dead Guy and I enjoyed it enough that I tried seeking similar 'Bock' styles. Eventually found myself with Aventinus and it was fantastic. My first IPA was from Anderson Valley and it was so bitter I couldn't understand why people enjoyed them. Wasn't till I tried Sculpin that I saw what all the hubbub was about. Anyway, anecdote aside my journey into craft beer basically started with Aventinus. I'm still not sure if I'm pronouncing it correctly.

Ah-ven-tie-nuhs?

Tee or tie, I've heard both. I say tee. I'll gladly change how I pronounce it if someone corrects me though.

I picked up some Terminal Gravity Festivale recently. As I'm getting older and my daughter is growing, I've come to appreciate a beer with a lower alcohol content, so I can have more than one without feeling guilty. But I can still appreciate a stronger beer, and at 8.5%, a couple of these have me thinking that wherever I'm sitting just became the perfect place to stay for another hour or so. I actually don't like it as much as most of the other winter ales that hit around the holidays (Jubelale this year is excellent), but after a couple sips of this, I can't seem to recall exactly what my complaint with it was...

Milchjon

Ah-ven-tie-nuhs?

How German do you wanna sound?

Ah-ven-tee-noos or something.

Having missed out on getting Born Yesterday the other week, the store here got a few more packs today. Snagged it while I could, and am enjoying it now. Really damn tasty.

Countdown to a certain post in 5...4...3...

Having missed out on getting Born Yesterday the other week, the store here got a few more packs today. Snagged it while I could, and am enjoying it now. Really damn tasty.

Countdown to a certain post in 5...4...3...

How are you drinking that, it's at least weeks old at this point. Don't even bother, straight garbage.

I had the last bottle from the six pack I got when it came out last weekend and it was still amazing.

Saw the Firestone Walker XIX Anniversary on a shelf today and figured I'd bite the bullet even though there wasn't a price listed. I was expecting something around $20 but one of the cashiers corrected the one who was ringing me up and said it was $13. Not sure if that was a mistake or just a great price but I wasn't gonna complain lol.

Let it warm up a bit and I'm drinking it now. This is actually my first FW Anniversary beer but I like it a lot. I'm glad they went with a simpler blend of only four beers. I definitely taste a lot of Parabola mixed with their barleywines. Insanely smooth for 14% and the flavors are melded together so perfectly. Great beer for this (relatively) chilly weather.

Saw the Firestone Walker XIX Anniversary on a shelf today and figured I'd bite the bullet even though there wasn't a price listed. I was expecting something around $20 but one of the cashiers corrected the one who was ringing me up and said it was $13. Not sure if that was a mistake or just a great price but I wasn't gonna complain lol.

Let it warm up a bit and I'm drinking it now. This is actually my first FW Anniversary beer but I like it a lot. I'm glad they went with a simpler blend of only four beers. I definitely taste a lot of Parabola mixed with their barleywines. Insanely smooth for 14% and the flavors are melded together so perfectly. Great beer for this (relatively) chilly weather.

Oh shit, that stuff is out? Gotta check around.

Edit: I'm way behind, came out in October. :c

Oh shit, that stuff is out? Gotta check around.

Edit: I'm way behind, came out in October. :c

Yeah FW distribution can be kinda weird unless you go to their release events. I remember back in the LA Valley we'd get their barrel-aged beers a month or two late so you never know.

Found some bourbon county this year, what is the price supposed to be set at? Found it for $20. Is that outrageous this year?

Is it this years? Would be able to tell by if it is in the new single bottle.

Think I read that retail for the normal variant is going to be around $10, but not sure. A bit of a mark up is normal though depending on where you are shopping.

Lotto

Just picked up a six pack of Stone Xocoveza. Apparently they're not putting them in bombers this year? Can't wait to try it since I remember people saying it was really good. Not even sure if it's gonna taste the same as last time but I missed it the first go around so I wouldn't know, someone that's tried the one from last year should do a comparison of this year's!

Just picked up a six pack of Stone Xocoveza. Apparently they're not putting them in bombers this year? Can't wait to try it since I remember people saying it was really good. Not even sure if it's gonna taste the same as last time but I missed it the first go around so I wouldn't know, someone that's tried the one from last year should do a comparison of this year's!

Pretty sure it'll taste the same, not that hard to drown a stout in adjuncts. The OG version was delicious so I'm sure this year's will taste pretty similar. Haven't tried the barrel-aged or "soured" (read: infected) special releases but I doubt you can go wrong with the standard version.

Top Bottom