• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

HiResDes

Had Lagunitas' Apple Beer called GravensTime on tap, it was quite refreshing and delicious. Just tart enough to kind of tickle the tongue, perfect sweetness, and a hint of hops on the back end. I had two, but I could have easily had six, and with a decent ABV, this is a dangerous one.

That's a called a Graff. It's a traditional English style Apple ale. New Beglium and Two Beers/Seattle Cider did a collab together a few years back. Hopefully the Lagunitas one wasn't as dry and bitter as the NB/TB collab.

Moppet13

Beers acquired today:

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.'s Ovila Abbey Golden w/ Pomegranate
Brouwerij Verhaeghe's Duchesse de Bourgogne
Seven Brides Brewing's Becky's Black Cat Porter
Black Isle's Organic Oatmeal Stout
Breakside Brewery's La Tormenta
The Bruery's 8 Maids A Milking
Epic Brewing's Big Bad Baptist
Firestone's Velvet Merkin

You have Velvet Merlin? Not particularly important but it would be absolutely disappointing if you were expecting Velvet Merkin.

What did you think of the 8 maids a milking?

Lotto

Keep missing out on so much beers the past few days. Missed Bad Boy and HFS from Alpine, and the Valley of the Hearts Delight from Almanac. Guess it's not so bad, I feel really spoiled that I can even get access to them but still. They blew out on tap so quick. Still had tons of great beer this weekend. Looking forward to the rest of the week!

Cracked open my bottle of 2010 Rochefort 10. It almost seems sweeter than a fresher bottle. Aged magnificently, but there seemed to be a lot more yeast in the bottle than usual, which might be a byproduct.

Either way, my love for this beer remains strong.

ShinAmano

Anyone in the Chicago area want to set up a trade for some of the bcbs brews for some excellent hardywood or other va beers? Specifically looking for regal rye, prop and rare (lol). Open to the coffee and barlywine as well.

Hit me up if so...have great cellar going and dont mind going well above $4.

Anyone in the Chicago area want to set up a trade for some of the bcbs brews for some excellent hardywood or other va beers? Specifically looking for regal rye, prop and rare (lol). Open to the coffee and barlywine as well.

Hit me up if so...have great cellar going and dont mind going well above $4.

It's a good deal (well other then for the rare), some of the hardywood stuff can be really good. Friend just went down to Richmond for the release of their GBS and bought 2 cases of it back. I'm waiting for their barrel aged version, since last year randomly getting one of them was about the biggest surprise of the year. Sogood.png

I personally hope we get some of the BCS Regal Rye here in VA so I don't have to go through a ton to get it. How long does the Proprietors last out there in Chicago? Know a guy who's going to be there in the middle of December but don't know if it's around for that long.

Bottles of Proprietors will probably sell out on Black Friday.

We're supposed to get BCBS, Coffee and Rare in Seattle. I might get a regular bottle but don't feel like getting up early for coffee nor do I want to pay $60 for Rare.

ShinAmano

Bottles of Proprietors will probably sell out on Black Friday.

We're supposed to get BCBS, Coffee and Rare in Seattle. I might get a regular bottle but don't feel like getting up early for coffee nor do I want to pay $60 for Rare.
If you see a bottle of rare ill buy you a few regulars and pay for the rare plus send you some dank va beers.

Figured as much, but didn't know if they kept it in supply since they only put it out in the area around them.

And yeah, I'm not big on coffee so not going out of my way for it, may pick up a bottle of rare just for the novelty of it if I can. Would like some of the Regal Rye though. Last year the only place around Northern VA that got more then just the standard and barleywine was in DC though, and I'm not up for that early black Friday morning.

If you see a bottle of rare ill buy you a few regulars and pay for the rare plus send you some dank va beers.

I'm not even going to try. Rather not get up early and wait outside Bottleworks. Sorry man.

The whole BCBS fervor out here in Seattle is silly with KDS and Coffee KDS readily available still.

And Fremont also released a beer (The Ancient One) in the same 1978 HH barrels as Rare. That beer is truly rare.

ShinAmano

I'm not even going to try. Rather not get up early and wait outside Bottleworks. Sorry man.

The whole BCBS fervor out here in Seattle is silly with KDS and Coffee KDS readily available still.

And Fremont also released a beer (The Ancient One) in the same 1978 HH barrels as Rare. That beer is truly rare.
Want to send me some kds?

ShinAmano

Maybe? Shipping is so damn expensive I normally avoid trading. A bottle of KDS and Coffee KDS would be about $42 with tax included. Just for reference.
I can send a shipper out to you...cover the cost of shipping back and the beers as well. If you are open to the offer let me know and we can work something out as a thank you.

I stopped at a Total Wine in the burbs before coming home to the city...

SO MUCH TILQUIN HOLY SHIT. 750s of Quetsche, and 2010/2011 Geueze on clearance for $16.

That was a fun yet expensive detour.

I can send a shipper out to you...cover the cost of shipping back and the beers as well. If you are open to the offer let me know and we can work something out as a thank you.

How about we just do a $4$ trade? I have tomorrow off and am planning on going to Fremont with my daughter after the zoo. I'll let you know what I find.

HiResDes

I don't even get that hyped about KBS anymore now that I know Sunday Morning Stout can be had so cheap and easily in the right season.

ShinAmano

I stopped at a Total Wine in the burbs before coming home to the city...

SO MUCH TILQUIN HOLY SHIT. 750s of Quetsche, and 2010/2011 Geueze on clearance for $16.

That was a fun yet expensive detour.

How about we just do a $4$ trade? I have tomorrow off and am planning on going to Fremont with my daughter after the zoo. I'll let you know what I find.
Totally down.

ShinAmano

Oh I know I was just talking about beer hype in general. BCBS is amazing, but I'm not hyped on it enough to show any real effort to get any.
Hype is what sells beer ;)

Honestly though BCBS Rare is incredible and worth every penny. Only beer I have had in the same league is Utopias which is heavenly.

Hype is what sells beer ;)

Honestly though BCBS Rare is incredible and worth every penny. Only beer I have had in the same league is Utopias which is heavenly.

I'm sure the new Rare is good, but it's not Pappy anymore like the original bottling. Curious to see some objective unblinded by hype reviews.

Looking at stuff online, it seems that Stone has spun off Arrogant Bastard to their own brand. The new bottles say "Brewed and bottled by Arrogant Bastard Brewing."
And apparently the Depth Charged Double Bastard is exclusive to the Bastard Box, which means I will have to get a few boxes now.

And tonight I tried Dogfish Head Fort, which is their raspberry beer. Really yummy. Tasted like 120 Minute IPA but with a strong raspberry aftertaste. The raspberry flavor only got stronger as it warmed up a bit too. Really great, and much better than Higher Math was.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i was going to order from beermerchants but the site wont let me sign up and when i try and checkout i keep getting transaction cancelled pop up.

HiResDes

aHTuOFX.jpg

One for me, one for her, super duper hyped on this find.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding last post

Beer merchants have charged my account twice even though it said transaction cancelled and havent sent n order confirmation. Guess im calling bank in morning :(

Trying the Sorry Not Sorry IPA right now. It's pretty good, the peaches are integrated nicely. Alcohol is a bit high, though. High ABV hoppy beers just don't appeal to me anymore but this sounded interesting. I don't regret buying it but this would've been so much nicer around the 7% mark.

Trying the Sorry Not Sorry IPA right now. It's pretty good, the peaches are integrated nicely. Alcohol is a bit high, though. High ABV hoppy beers just don't appeal to me anymore but this sounded interesting. I don't regret buying it but this would've been so much nicer around the 7% mark.

I agree with the high ABV gripe. 7 and below is much preferred. But we are talking about Stone.

Speaking of high ABV stuff, Higher Math from Dogfish is pretty good. A bit boozy though, but it's 17% so guess that's to be expected. Pretty costly but also to be expected from a one time release thing.

Speaking of high ABV stuff, Higher Math from Dogfish is pretty good. A bit boozy though, but it's 17% so guess that's to be expected. Pretty costly but also to be expected from a one time release thing.

I wasn't that impressed with Higher Math. I am hoping some age mellows it a bit, but it was just above average at best.

Fort, their other high ABV ale that hit this week, was much better. Nice, strong raspberry flavor as it warmed up some.

I wasn't that impressed with Higher Math. I am hoping some age mellows it a bit, but it was just above average at best.

Fort, their other high ABV ale that hit this week, was much better. Nice, strong raspberry flavor as it warmed up some.

Friend said it was better on tap when he tried it, but I was happy I only bought one 4 pack of it when I could have gotten more. I mean I'm sure it could trade well but I don't do much of that.

Gotta save all my beer monies for the end of the month, then the Hardywood barrel aged stuff next month.

Will get some Fort if I see it around, how does it compare to other raspberry stuff? Haven't had one with that high of ABV so don't know what to expect.

Socreges

Banned
Going to DC next week. Never been to the east coast period so I'm pretty stoked. Most importantly, this means access to new beers...

Any beers I need to try that aren't too tough to find in store? (IPAs and sours being my go-tos) Or pubs with good selections?

Going to DC next week. Never been to the east coast period so I'm pretty stoked. Most importantly, this means access to new beers...

Any beers I need to try that aren't too tough to find in store? (IPAs and sours being my go-tos) Or pubs with good selections?

Definitely go to ChurchKey. I'm not too familiar with the distribution in stores around there but I'm sure there'll be some cool stuff.

Get over to DC Brau and pick up On the Wings of Armageddon (DIPA).

Also, DC has open distribution. It's the only part of the US were distribution laws do not apply making it a free for all. Stores can sell anything they want without it being a gray market. They still have to acquire it, though, so beers not officially shipped to DC are crazy expensive.

Lotto

Had some really nice beers tonight. A little something from both spectrums. Salted Watermelon Gose from Fieldwork and Barrel Aged Black Lagoon from Rip Current. From 4.9% to something like 17.3%. Salty to Sweet.

ShinAmano

Get over to DC Brau and pick up On the Wings of Armageddon (DIPA).

Also, DC has open distribution. It's the only part of the US were distribution laws do not apply making it a free for all. Stores can sell anything they want without it being a gray market. They still have to acquire it, though, so beers not officially shipped to DC are crazy expensive.
And by crazy he is talking $30 for a single can of heady crazy. :)

Found Sante Adairius Cellarman on tap today (wine barrel-aged version). Holy shit this was incredible. So crisp and refreshing and complex and the 25cl pour was just cruel because I want to drink a 12 pack of this in a sitting.

I also hit up Cellarmaker last night. Had a single hopped nelson pale ale which was good and their 100% Citra-hopped Double Dobis which was among their best.

PBY

Banned
Okay... Am I really the minority on the Southern Tier Pumpking?

I like a pumpkin beer, occasionally as a seasonal thing. This is the one that I've seen most recommended. I find it undrinkable.

Lotto

Ballast point makes some of my favorite beers. Fathom, Grunion, Sculpin are all fantastic. Happy for their success. I don't get who buys Indra Kunindra though.

Top Bottom