• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I don't know what I'd do with 16 bottles (or 8). That's a lot of money that I could spread out on other beers or other things. And also stay happily married.

Adjunct is anything added to a beer that isn't water, yeast, malted barley/grain or hops. It doesn't necessarily have to be a four letter word in beer circles, but people sure go crazy over them (myself included at times).

ShinAmano

I don't know what I'd do with 16 bottles (or 8). That's a lot of money that I could spread out on other beers or other things. And also stay happily married.

Adjunct is anything added to a beer that isn't water, yeast, malted barley/grain or hops. It doesn't necessarily have to be a four letter word in beer circles, but people sure go crazy over them (myself included at times).

Gotcha...

also same boat as you with wife and kid...getting together with the brother in laws for this one.

thabiz

Highly recommended

IMG_9326-1024x1024.jpg

Really nice tripel.

Met my wife for lunch today so decided to hit the liquor store in the town that she works. There was still a ton of 2013 Ten Fidy on the shelf, as well as 2014. Was so tempted, but I know I can go back later for them.

They did have a bottle of 8 Wired Bumaye there. Never heard of it, but it is a stout aged in pinot noir barrels. Sounds yummy. And looking at Beer Advocate it was last made two or so years ago. Snagged it to try. Cant be all that bad.

Met my wife for lunch today so decided to hit the liquor store in the town that she works. There was still a ton of 2013 Ten Fidy on the shelf, as well as 2014. Was so tempted, but I know I can go back later for them.

They did have a bottle of 8 Wired Bumaye there. Never heard of it, but it is a stout aged in pinot noir barrels. Sounds yummy. And looking at Beer Advocate it was last made two or so years ago. Snagged it to try. Cant be all that bad.

I was looking it up on Untappd. Four people I follow had it before, pretty good reviews.

They also made an ice distilled version. That process is illegal in the US now (which is part of the elusiveness of Hair of the Dog's Dave), but maybe it's allowed in New Zealand where the brewery is.

I was looking it up on Untappd. Four people I follow had it before, pretty good reviews.

They also made an ice distilled version. That process is illegal in the US now (which is part of the elusiveness of Hair of the Dog's Dave), but maybe it's allowed in New Zealand where the brewery is.

Nice. It was the only bottle, and I am a sucker for stouts aged in different things. Figured it was worth a try tonight.

Got Corona Light, Stella Artois Light, Stella Artois Regular and Sol as a mixed 24 for Christmas. I like them all, as Stella has been my favourite for years and the others are good, but I'm not as big on Corona as I used to be. Sol is pretty good, but a lot like it.

I prefer my Dad's Rolling Rock to most of them, but I've never been a beer afficionado.

PG2G

I'll be at Huna Day, bought the 4 bottle tickets though. No way am I lugging 8 bottles (and whatever I buy/friends give me) back across the country.

tmac456

Think I'm gonna make the commitment to Huna day next year. Can't swing it this year financially, especially with a march madness Vegas trip two weeks after the fest.

I did a 3 year vertical of Ten Fidy a few months ago and my take away is that they package their beer really well. There are subtle differences year to year, but you aren't getting a noticeably improved beer after sitting on it for a year or two. It definitely doesn't get worse, but I know I'm not paying the extra $3/4pk a local place here is charging for the 2014. If it's the same price, then yeah, go for it. Drink a 3 year vertical and have an awesome night haha!

I did a 3 year vertical of Ten Fidy a few months ago and my take away is that they package their beer really well. There are subtle differences year to year, but you aren't getting a noticeably improved beer after sitting on it for a year or two. It definitely doesn't get worse, but I know I'm not paying the extra $3/4pk a local place here is charging for the 2014. If it's the same price, then yeah, go for it. Drink a 3 year vertical and have an awesome night haha!

Oh, I did the 3 year vertical a few months ago. It was a great night. And they are the same price here either way, and there wasn't much difference year after year for the most part. It is a bit sweeter when fresh though.
I think Founders Imperial Stout does better with some age on it. Definitely less sweet and syrupy after a few months.

Gotta snag a bottle of 2014 and 2015 Three Philosophers soon so I can do a 2011-2015 vertical one day. Or hell, just wait to see some 2016 show up and do it then.

Link

The Autumn Wind
My next vertical is going to be Old Stock Ale. My buddy has each year back to 2011. Looking forward to it.

My next vertical is going to be Old Stock Ale. My buddy has each year back to 2011. Looking forward to it.

You'll have to post how that goes. The last one I did, 2012 was really oxidized, but that might have just been a not great bottle. The time before that, there was hardly any difference. I really love that beer...

taylor910

Catador only. Ive never been but basically site says drafts and food only.

That's correct, drafts and food only. No bottles for sale, and because it is in a public park this year (used to be on site), no bottle shares at all. No glass allowed in the park.

I'd suggest hitting beer advocate if you are looking for a bottle share before/after, and also keep an eye out for other rare tappings at places like Cycle and 7venth Sun throughout the weekend.

thabiz

That's correct, drafts and food only. No bottles for sale, and because it is in a public park this year (used to be on site), no bottle shares at all. No glass allowed in the park.

I'd suggest hitting beer advocate if you are looking for a bottle share before/after, and also keep an eye out for other rare tappings at places like Cycle and 7venth Sun throughout the weekend.

For $300?

LOL

HiResDes

Can we talk about beer releases and schedules real quick.

2016-Availability-Calendar-WEB.jpg

Stone Release Schedule

So according to these schedules and the beer advocate forums these beers should be out and about now:

Evil Twin Michigan - Maple Jesus
Ballast Point - Pineapple Sculpin
New Belgium - Blackberry Barleywine
Founder's - Imperial Stout
Founder's - Azacca IPA
Stone - 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

And then next month:
2016 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine
Stone Americano Stout
Stone Pataskala Red X IPA

...I used to hate on Stone but man they've totally converted me and I feel are becoming so well-rounded and actually things which I don't see as total gimmicks

injurai

Banned
I have the New Belgium Barleywine. I'm excited to dive into it. I've had a couple blackberry ales in the past and they have all been good. They tend to taste like a sour ale, but since it's coming from the berries it's a bit more fruity, and other malt and hop profiles still get to come through.

HiResDes

I have the New Belgium Barleywine. I'm excited to dive into it. I've had a couple blackberry ales in the past and they have all been good. They tend to taste like a sour ale, but since it's coming from the berries it's a bit more fruity, and other malt and hop profiles still get to come through.
I wonder if it's gonna be boozy

injurai

Banned
I wonder if it's gonna be boozy

It's a 10%er. Can't say I really am bothered with booziness until things get up around 14%. At 10% it would probably just add to what I like in a beer. If abv gets too low it can come across too watery or lacking in "bite" to me.

I've heard nothing either way. It literally just came out didn't it? Also I find people usually have pleb tastes when it comes to sour ales. It sounds up my alley.

23 people I follow on Untappd have had it already going back to December 19th. And it's a barleywine, not a sour ale.

injurai

Banned
Pleb taste? Really?

lol

You've been on my ass lately. I'm talking about people who don't follow beers that closely, I didn't know the opinions were coming from untapped.

Also, I mean sour in taste. It's a blackberry ale, they are literally sour. I'm not saying it's a "Sour Ale" I know what it is, I bought one. I'm hoping this has a sour taste profile because that's what I liked in previous blackberry ales that I've had.

Top Bottom