• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

You've been on my ass lately. I'm talking about people who don't follow beers that closely, I didn't know the opinions were coming from untapped.

You shouldn't assume. This is the beer thread, we get along here. Just be nice.

Also, I mean sour in taste. It's a blackberry ale, they are literally sour. I'm not saying it's a "Sour Ale" I know what it is, I bought one. I'm hoping this has a sour taste profile because that's what I liked in previous blackberry ales that I've had.

Knowing and hoping are two different things. Just because a beer has fruit added does not mean it will be sour. I've had blackberry Wits that are just fruity Wits. It's an English style barleywine with blackberries added.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/176880/

thabiz

You've been on my ass lately. I'm talking about people who don't follow beers that closely, I didn't know the opinions were coming from untapped.

Also, I mean sour in taste. It's a blackberry ale, they are literally sour. I'm not saying it's a "Sour Ale" I know what it is, I bought one. I'm hoping this has a sour taste profile because that's what I liked in previous blackberry ales that I've had.
I sent you a pm about the first part cause that's a separate discussion.

Second,why suddenly does untapped make the opinion better? Every beer aficionado uses untapped? I've seen peoples lists that are nothing but bud and Coors.

Anybody know their way around the downtown LA area? I'm gonna be around for a conference next month and I'm looking for a good place to have a beer or two. Any breweries in a reasonable distance?

Anybody know their way around the downtown LA area? I'm gonna be around for a conference next month and I'm looking for a good place to have a beer or two. Any breweries in a reasonable distance?

My buddy lives in LA and goes to Golden Road regularly. The owners are pretty douchey, but it's where you'll be and he seems to like it.

I'd recommend Beachwood, El Segundo, Monkish or Smog City over Golden Road, but they're outside of downtown LA.

injurai

Banned
You shouldn't assume. This is the beer thread, we get along here. Just be nice.

Knowing and hoping are two different things. Just because a beer has fruit added does not mean it will be sour. I've had blackberry Wits that are just fruity Wits. It's an English style barleywine with blackberries added.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/176880/

You're right on all accounts. Looking at those opinions I'm seeing both sweet and tart, I'll have to crack mine open soon and see.

I sent you a pm about the first part cause that's a separate discussion.

Second,why suddenly does untapped make the opinion better? Every beer aficionado uses untapped? I've seen peoples lists that are nothing but bud and Coors.

It doesn't make the opinion better, but if he's polling opinions on untapped they would be people he's chosen to follow. I was just giving more credit in that case. Knowing though that there are those people that prefer bud and coors as you've mentioned, I just assumed the opinions that had been heard where more through the woodwork and would be include people who are predisposed to not like those types of beer.

thabiz

You're right on all accounts. Looking at those opinions I'm seeing both sweet and tart, I'll have to crack mine open soon and see.

It doesn't make the opinion better, but if he's polling opinions on untapped they would be people he's chosen to follow. I was just giving more credit in that case. Knowing though that there are those people that prefer bud and coors as you've mentioned, I just assumed the opinions that had been heard where more through the woodwork and would be include people who are predisposed to not like those types of beer.

It's your taste buds man. Take recommendations on what to try but ignore what the flavour and very subjective enjoyment out of it is. It can be good and bad knowing what others have said.

Buy it. Drink it. Who cares what others say.

Lunar15

Anyone in South Florida going to the Mariana Trench Release at Due South? I've heard the event last year was pretty stellar.

HiResDes

Anybody had Founder's this year the IBUs are slightly lower than last year wonder how it compares.

Gonna be interesting to have now that I've expanded my Stout repertoire so widely. It was weird going back to Old Rasputin and finding that I thought Jackie Os Dark Apparition was better when that used to be my absolute favorite. Expedition Stout still amazes me though when I cellar one for just like half a year.

thabiz

$300 gets you 8 bottles of Huna, they also had a $200 ticket which came with 4 bottles.

It's actually a great deal imo, incredible tap list and free pours. I enjoy these much more than the festivals where you pay $5-$6 per pour.
Just based on the troubles at previous ones I can't see it being worth it. 2014 ran out of beer and there was a near riot. But I guess they've taken steps to address those issues with smaller crowds and ID checks.

I personally wouldn't spend that much for a beer festival, but that's just me.

Hope you guys have fun.

Just based on the troubles at previous ones I can't see it being worth it. 2014 ran out of beer and there was a near riot. But I guess they've taken steps to address those issues with smaller crowds and ID checks.

I personally wouldn't spend that much for a beer festival, but that's just me.

Hope you guys have fun.

It sound like CC is really stepping it up with the changes this year (I particularly love that bottle shares aren't allowed. That's a foreign concept out here) but I'm with you.

I'm also in Seattle and wouldn't fly across the country for a beer festival. [shrug]

thabiz

It sound like CC is really stepping it up with the changes this year (I particularly love that bottle shares aren't allowed. That's a foreign concept out here) but I'm with you.

I'm also in Seattle and wouldn't fly across the country for a beer festival. [shrug]

Yeah going across the country for a beer festival is a little crazy. Especially one that's has issues in the past. I'd hate to drop all that cash and it's a cluster fuck.

Yeah going across the country for a beer festival is a little crazy. Especially one that's has issues in the past. I'd hate to drop all that cash and it's a cluster fuck.

When you pay that kind of money the expectation is that it will not be a clusterfuck as well. Glad they are improving the experience.

HiResDes

Too rich for my blood our beer festivals cost like forty or fifty bucks, and while there aren't any whalez that's about what I'm comfortable paying and you get 25 4oz pours or something like that

PG2G

I figure flying across the country for a beer festival is a very good way to try a lot of beer from that region without having to explicitly trade for it. The festivals here in Los Angeles don't get the same turn out as a festival in New England or a festival in Florida or a festival in Wisconsin. In fact, I intend to do festivals at every part of the country at some point.

Lotto

Went to pick up some Founder's stuff at my local liquor store, first of it I've seen down here in SoCal. Ended up grabbing more than I expected... 4-pack of Victory Harvest Ale (wet hops), Dogfish Head Miles Davis Bitches Brew, Founder's Porter/All Day/Centennial, and Almanac Valley of the Heart Delight. Didn't even expect to see that last one so I had to grab it, one of my all time favorite sours.

Harvest Ale is still sitting around here. I wonder if it will be as good as it is when fresh.

And the distributor rep I talked to today said in the next week or two we should finally get Victory at Sea around here. Excited for that one.

Chris R

So I had a Cucumber Ale tonight... pretty refreshing but not for everyone, or something I'd want more than a single glass of every now and then lol.

Lotto

Oh wow, the store just got the Harvest Ale in today though. I just read the side of the bottle and it says enjoy by March 7 2016.. I had one tonight and it seemed okay, I don't have anything to compare it to but it was still seemingly potent, very caramely.

Volunteering at a local brewery's Winter Ale Festival on Saturday, and they have these scheduled to be on tap:
  • Mazama Brewing: Mazamanator
  • Mazama Brewing: Nightside Eclipse
  • Mazama Brewing: Dubbelganger
  • Mazama Brewing: Ginger Quad
  • Mazama Brewing: El Duque
  • Mazama Brewing: Cranberge Sour
  • McMenamins on Monroe: Smith's Serrano Stout
  • Wild Ride Brew: Nut Crusher | Peanut Butter Porter
  • Three Creeks Brewery: Dark Hollow | Winter Warmer Ale
  • Block 15 Brewing Company: The Prophecies | Belgian Style Quadrupel Ale
  • Sky High Brewing: Jingle Balz | Spiced Winter Warmer
  • Wolf Tree Brewery: Bull of the Woods | Barley Wine
  • Plank Town Brewing: Rumpelstiltskin | Dark Lager
  • Flat Tail Brewing: Nobody Likes Sorgum Stout | Glueten Enhanced Imperial Stout
  • Deluxe Brewing Company: Sweet B | Dunkel
  • Nectar Creek: Festoon | Hibiscus Session Mead
  • 2 Towns Ciderhouse: Candied Ginger Bourbon Barrel Nice & Naugthy
  • Ground Breaker Brewing: St. Denny Dubbel | Belgian Style Dubbel

Should be a super tasty evening.

ShinAmano

That's correct, drafts and food only. No bottles for sale, and because it is in a public park this year (used to be on site), no bottle shares at all. No glass allowed in the park.

I'd suggest hitting beer advocate if you are looking for a bottle share before/after, and also keep an eye out for other rare tappings at places like Cycle and 7venth Sun throughout the weekend.
Yeah sounds like a plan...getting in friday night and going to hit it hard all weekend :)

Not as good, but still good at least?

Save your money. It was really dry and bitter.

Oh wow, the store just got the Harvest Ale in today though. I just read the side of the bottle and it says enjoy by March 7 2016.. I had one tonight and it seemed okay, I don't have anything to compare it to but it was still seemingly potent, very caramely.

It's fresh hop beer. The whole point is to show off the freshly harvested hops. Caramely really shouldn't be a key descriptor. ;-)

Flat 12 in Indianapolis does a Cucumber Kolsch. It's pretty polarizing based on conversations I've had about it. But I like it. It's exactly what it says on the label.

Cucumber is refreshing, I can see it working in a crisp Kolsch or Pilsner.

New brewery opening today in Seattle called Cloudburst. Brewer used to work for Elysian and created Split Shot, Space Dust and the infamous Pumpkin Peach Pecan beer while he was there. I've had one of his new IPAs at a bar, but I'm excited to check out the taproom.

So I had a Cucumber Ale tonight... pretty refreshing but not for everyone, or something I'd want more than a single glass of every now and then lol.

I have a friend who does a cucumber cream ale every year for a summer beer festival and he goes through 5 gallons in about 90 minutes every year. Cucumber actually comes across a lot like watermelon in a beer like that and is much more fruity than people assume.

I have a friend who does a cucumber cream ale every year for a summer beer festival and he goes through 5 gallons in about 90 minutes every year. Cucumber actually comes across a lot like watermelon in a beer like that and is much more fruity than people assume.

Exactly. Adding cucumber to beer doesn't turn it into pickle juice.

Ooo boy, got some glorious beers yesterday. Going to crack open that Ex Novo barleywine in about an hour.

Ku11nh5395wN-Hxqm2TtjB9ymPZM-N8YMPf5O427bFQg5LJsxYCC2M-X9C_lLGXroejii7t12g0vfSmuGMnQk2XZm1lW1aXIUV24WmwvlPiJFxDnr-pZ6G4bpuX_uMZCqlx5sUuy99gNagHwfTQLjSqnX2KgG6chE2adu8nRdJhBoLvB_OzN0cf_Hwsb7zcrPU2HJg8aDGtq6PIMI5-e0__ifNv7KF85YqdCWrB_d_4xTKybGSTmhyQ4ipRZTwJN0y88MxBHuK-ex3WHwOEmOedHYDLFRunFHFkL8CGO_O-pAqiCd3GueVO_Pc1VUayJjUqx_JWw02iIVg5s6_mB-J5Ai6CZKCHxr0uE93eYyWH7umLCPmpF2dqLzsZKre_q5ltPNX5H5JcTZx4aa0X1-M5jtCQHV-wtunqjVXNPsbii4N_rUMlTDFRMYYXbhWH-y6q_cE39xPn6l0kcazeLyGAJEiAQxu5RDK2T6DdtHjBAdfm2uxq_S8Emh2tSWA6Gfka4aFfEiFBMx_Av12I7xjxGrLAi0xHFGrEE4FelX9yXwG6Vlpz9FivpU1oJRMgE=w930-h1252-no

Pickle juice beer sounds alright though. Give me a pickle sour and were in business baby.

I was very drunkenly discussing ideas for a hamburger beer with someone once. This was out base, with some super oniony hops, a little smoked malt, randalled through pico de gallo, and extra yeast extract added for that umami. We had consumed some really bad homebrews that day haha.

Jarnet87

I would do Hunaphu day if I could find a friend to go with and split hotel room costs. Bit pricey to stay for 2 nights, and I wouldn't make the trip just for one day. I want to check out a couple of the other breweries in Tampa, heard good things about Cycle.

Didn't get tickets to MBCP Day 2016. Initially didnt want to go but last minute looking for tickets. It was fun last year, kind of overcrowded. I'm not a big fan of the Maple Maple Coffee Porter so charging $30 for entree and a bottle didn't really grab me. Interested to see how the limited attendees and setup this year go. Should make it a lot more open and comfortable, and easier to get pours.

10 Barrel does a cucumber berlinerweisse (Cucumber Crush) that is really nice. But yeah, I never want more than one.

Cigar CIty does a cucumber saison. Had it at Dark Lord Day years ago and was surprised how good it was (I like cucumbers, but still). Maybe those going to Hunahpu's release will get to try it if they have it on tap.

Grabbed two bottles of 2015 Abyss today. One to drink, one to save. Might see if there are still some at the store tomorrow since there was a limit of 2 per person.

Lotto

It's fresh hop beer. The whole point is to show off the freshly harvested hops. Caramely really shouldn't be a key descriptor. ;-)

I'm having another one right now and it does seem a bit milder than I remembered. The aroma is still hoppy and there's a lingering bitterness at the end but it isn't quite as pronounced. Maybe my description of caramely is a bit off, it's hard for me to describe a flavor to this one.. I've had fresh hop beers before when they're typically supposed to be out in the wild (Aug-Oct.) and they were definitely more intense than this. Oh well. I still see Lagunitas Born Yesterday too, it seems to be getting stocked regularly around here as well.

HiResDes

Grabbed two bottles of 2015 Abyss today. One to drink, one to save. Might see if there are still some at the store tomorrow since there was a limit of 2 per person.

Party Source had a shit ton of Abyss when I went, I'm talking no limit and like 30 bottles or more in a basket. I just grabbed one since they were so expensive.

Top Bottom