• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

riotous

Banned
vIFyvbe.png

Tired as hell but gonna see how many cboms my wife and I can polish off.

Ended up coming home from the party around 11:30. Daughter was ready to go to bed. Pretty impressive for 3 1/2. Next year she'll make it to midnight.

s0BbimB.jpg

Split this with my wife for the midnight toast. The real champagne of beers. 2012 bottle of Temptation that I've been hanging on to since RR announced they were leaving WA.

marmoka

Banned
Going to be spending a week in downtown Denver in March. Already planning on hitting Epic, but what other breweries/assorted beer places should I make sure I visit during that time?

I don't know if you are already there, but anyway, there's a great bar between the Sheraton and Hard Rock Cafe. It's a little dark, but they got lots of beers there. There's also an Irish style bar near Sheraton. Enjoy your stay in Denver.

Roi

Found myself a new favorite.. The god tier Achel 8 Blond! A beautiful trappist triple beer, don't be fooled by the 70's design!

beer_10050.jpg

HiResDes

Had Limo Tint after lunch when I met Sefskillz. Before dinner had Xocoveza. Just finishing a bomber of Imperial Biscotti Bourbon aged. Might stop for a bit since there is champagne for later. But might dip into something else.

I only managed half, guy kept handing me shots of Bourbon and I was out very shortly after.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Big thank you to Sefskillz and friends for the BCBS 14 and 15. It was nice meeting some new people. Hope you all have a safe and happy new year celebration while in town.

nice meeting you! struck out on xoco charred, but did find some of that Country Boy Papaw's Red and a wild ale from Grimm Im looking forward to.

Country Boy Papaw's Red was pretty good. Nothing amazing, but solid and enjoyable after a long day at work. I ain't mad I bought it, but I wouldn't seek it out again.

I wouldn't dismiss German beers outright like that. I feel like there are a few barriers that came between me and enjoying them as much as I do now. Imported German beer often sits on the shelves for months at least which is brutal to most styles (obviously not weizenbocks and the like). American breweries often really fuck up the styles or at least put out really mediocre offerings (most kolsch, for example). And there's always been the annoying people IRL and on the internet who boast about hating the hip new styles and only liking real, proper, German beers.

That said, there's a ton of amazing beer from Germany. Drinking kolsch in Cologne was one of the best drinking experiences I've ever had. A good pils, dunkel, or other lager can be incredible when fresh and done right. Not to mention the sheer variety of regional styles that often isn't well-represented here when mediocre hefeweizens and marzen and the like are being pumped out left and right.

Of course the Reinheltsgebot is pretty stupid these days and there seem to be some great German brewers like Freigeist making amazing beers that flaunt the rules. Seek out some great German beers, traditional and not; there's too much great beer out there to hate on an entire country's output.

What exactly happens to a German brewery if they do something that violates Reinheltsgebot?

As for American breweries that are making solid German beers, Washington has Chuckanut and Oregon has Heater Allen and Pfriem.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Speaking of BCBS, I'm in the middle of doing a vertical of 2013 Barleywine, and 2013, 14, and 15 Stouts.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'll be fine. I'm splitting them with a buddy. I'm still forming complete sentences, so that's a good sign.

Speaking of BCBS, I'm in the middle of doing a vertical of 2013 Barleywine, and 2013, 14, and 15 Stouts.

Nice. We did this one Black Friday at the store I got some from. '09-'15. Vanilla Rye, Coffee and Barleywines.

23844043010_7cb840f92e_b.jpg

Just wish it wasn't 10AM. Made for a long day...

Link

The Autumn Wind
Working on the 15 now. I'm not sure if aging gives it more bite or they've just made them smoother year by year, or if I'm just drunk enough to not be phased as much, but I feel like they get easier to drink as I go.

tmac456

'15 is fuckin delicious. strong bourbon presence but it's really well balanced to me. interested to see what it does with some age

Bacon

'15 is fuckin delicious. strong bourbon presence but it's really well balanced to me. interested to see what it does with some age

I'm pissed I was too lethargic to go out and grab the 15 version. Really kicking myself about it now, I'd really like to try it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So far, I'd say the 14 is my favorite, but I'm already planning another vertical for next year, so we'll see how the 15 ages.

I'm pissed I was too lethargic to go out and grab the 15 version. Really kicking myself about it now, I'd really like to try it.
You might (might) still be able to find a bottle if you look around.

Working on the 15 now. I'm not sure if aging gives it more bite or they've just made them smoother year by year, or if I'm just drunk enough to not be phased as much, but I feel like they get easier to drink as I go.

Only did 14 and 15 here, and 15 was better. Better balance of everything. Just wish I could get some coffee ones from 15. This year has taught me coffee stouts are much better fresh.

So far, I'd say the 14 is my favorite, but I'm already planning another vertical for next year, so we'll see how the 15 ages.

You might (might) still be able to find a bottle if you look around.

There are ridiculous amounts of BCBS left here in Seattle. There have been at least three shipments following the Black Friday launch, and variants if you look enough.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Done with the vertical. Surprisingly lucid right now. I think I did a good job of drinking plenty of water. I liked 14 the most, but everything was delicious. Definitely need to do more of these.

There are ridiculous amounts of BCBS left here in Seattle. There have been at least three shipments following the Black Friday launch, and variants if you look enough.

I've looked around here (CT tri state area) and have come out completely empty handed
Meanwhile, nothing at all in southern KY. Of course, I know many stores around here are very unhappy with the distributor. They play favorites while the small stores scrounge for leftovers. But some stores like Winos/Shenanigans are friends with some brewery reps to get certain things eventually. The nice thing is that once they get them the hype is passed so they are easily gotten.

Tunic

Any particular spots I should check? I got one more bottle left but wouldn't mind picking up a few more. I was able to find a couple bottles of Tough Love yesterday at a bottle shop in Burien. Very nice find!

Top Bottom