• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

HiResDes

Rhinegeist is slowly starting to become my favorite brewery. And the place that I linked to has one of the best selections of beer in my area and plus they always have winning instant lottery tickets as well.

Rhinegheist still not doing it for me, so many different styles and beers and none of them actually wow me. Jack of all trades, master of none.

MHYxZFw.jpg

Ok, that's stupid good. Has a bit of that NE haze shit going on too.

Enjoying it right now on tap at Block 15's Tap House, and it's really great. Has a crazy bitter/odd finish that I'm loving.

tmac456

cracked my BCBBW tonight. no gushing at all. very heavy cherry on the nose. didn't get any sour or tartness from it. pretty sweet for a barleywine though.

was pretty enjoyable

An5wczU.jpg

Nice little haul. Another bottle release from Holy Mountain today, then had lunch with my daughter at Urban Family and snagged a couple things to go. Great beers, but they really feel like the black sheep of the Seattle beer scene.

Jarnet87

Who got me some maple bacon? And last snow snowed in and morning wood for that matter.

got 2 bottles. The even went well, although the main complaint was 1 or 2 beers were infected, and the fact there were only timed taps at 7 causing giant lines for a few beers. Snowed In and Morning Wood had a bottle event in September.

My rule is two max. One for now one for later.

Speaking of FOMO, friend and I went in halfsies on a Cognac Abyss bottle. Figured it was cheaper that way just to split between us and our wives.

My rule is two max. One for now one for later.

Speaking of FOMO, friend and I went in halfsies on a Cognac Abyss bottle. Figured it was cheaper that way just to split between us and our wives.

Usually only go two bottles lately, but since there was more available the next day I decided to bite. Getting more bottles paid off to trade earlier. But it is expensive doing it.

On another note, I am heading to L.A. this weekend, and Las Vegas early next week, then Grand Canyon at the end of next week. Any beers or bars I need to hunt down while out there?

Saw this on BA about DWTD:

Was able to get a bottle, but I was there at 0830. I also think there must have been some shady bottle deals/cutting going on as my friend was 3 bottles from getting one. When he got there I did a rough count and he was about 149 in line. The part that is more BS is that it is already on Craigslist for $500, when "real" beer drinkers ended up empty handed.

I don't know if my eyes are rolling more at the bottles going for that much already, or the "real" beer drinkers comment.

Definitely Craigslist. Using the phrase "real beer drinkers" causes eye rolls, but mules and shady shit people do to get beer pisses me off.

The guy who managed to get 57 bottles of Parabajava at the release and then bragged on Facebook about selling them needs to rethink his life.

Definitely Craigslist. Using the phrase "real beer drinkers" causes eye rolls, but mules and shady shit people do to get beer pisses me off.

The guy who managed to get 57 bottles of Parabajava at the release and then bragged on Facebook about selling them needs to rethink his life.

The people who jump through hoops or go out of their way to get multiples of anything just to resell at a higher price almost instantly piss me off in any kind of market.
Talk to them and they say they are providing a service. People are willing to pay for it, and they are providing it. But they fail to realize that since they are removing the option for people to get it at a normal price, they have no recourse but to pay extra if they want it.
Of course, there are also the idiots that pay those insane prices that help create this market in the first place.

If ever I buy multiples of something (usually LEGO sets that are hard to find and I stumble across them), I always end up trading or selling for the amount I bought it for. I don't want profit. I just want to help others that missed out on them.

Buying extras of super limited stuff solely for trading purposes makes things hard as well. A lot of times those bottles are 1) sent out of market preventing locals from having a shot at them and/or 2) held for ransom to people willing to trade outrageous shit for them.

I know it's just beer and it shouldn't bother me. I get it. But it still kinda does.

Buying extras of super limited stuff solely for trading purposes makes things hard as well. A lot of times those bottles are 1) sent out of market preventing locals from having a shot at them and/or 2) held for ransom to people willing to trade outrageous shit for them.

I know it's just beer and it shouldn't bother me. I get it. But it still kinda does.

As I kind of feel like an ass for buying a couple extra bottles of Abyss to maybe trade. Or just drink a few years down the line.

But I did go back the next day and they were still there. I remember going to the store to get KBS and a guy brought his girlfriend and her friend to buy 4 packs since there was a limit per person, and they cleaned out most of the stock, leaving it to just two bottles a person after them. And then they talked about how much they got from other stores and were planning their route to buy even more.

There's a ridiculous amount of Abyss made every year, no worries. That KBS story is common and stupid. People are stupid sometimes.

I'm talking more about super small batch releases of things that are often only sold at the brewery (de Garde, SARA, Toppling Goliath, Casey, Holy Mountain, etc.) with strict limits that people manage to circumvent by either recruiting relatives or random strangers so they can get more.

hermit7

Just popping in to say that az has finally started to get stuff from Boulevard Brewing in Kansas City.

I think it is pretty decent for the most part, and enjoy a lot of their products. May not be as niche as some breweries, but it has got pretty good flavor.

Arizona kind of sucks for craft beer, they have some decent stuff but miss out on a bunch of things that CA and the east coast gets. The breweries around the state aren't very high quality either I don't think. Some are decent but none are really stand out.

Just popping in to say that az has finally started to get stuff from Boulevard Brewing in Kansas City.

I think it is pretty decent for the most part, and enjoy a lot of their products. May not be as niche as some breweries, but it has got pretty good flavor.

Arizona kind of sucks for craft beer, they have some decent stuff but miss out on a bunch of things that CA and the east coast gets. The breweries around the state aren't very high quality either I don't think. Some are decent but none are really stand out.

I've heard good things about Arizona Wilderness but idk about their availability.

hermit7

I've heard good things about Arizona Wilderness but idk about their availability.

I have had them by going to their brewery itself. I am not sure if they distribute very much. AZ has a silly law where they can only produce 40000 barrels at a single location before they need to go through a distributor. This was recently changes at new year to 70000 across all the breweries locations (tap room, brewery etc.) so there should be a shift soon.

My Dad has been to Arizona Wilderness, he really likes their beer. I don't think they bottle or can anything.

Arizona gets Funkwerks, which makes some of my favorite beers. Worth picking some stuff up.

Lunar15

I will be there, you going? First trench day for me, been to due south once and it was a good time.

I haven't been before, but everyone I've talked to says it's a real good time. Limiting it to only 300 tickets means they can plan out everything so that there's no long lines and everything is well in stock. They said that last year, their goal was to have no one in lines for over a minute.

I'm also going to a food/beer pairing face-off thing at Barrel of Monks where the BoM staff will be facing off against Cigar City staff in pairing beers with a secret menu. Pretty excited!

South Florida beer scene is real great right now.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm also going to a food/beer pairing face-off thing at Barrel of Monks where the BoM staff will be facing off against Cigar City staff in pairing beers with a secret menu. Pretty excited!

South Florida beer scene is real great right now.
Shit, when is this? I want in.

terrible

Banned
You may be able to find a few of the more popular stuff in upper NY state by them. All the seasonal and small batch are only available in Ontario.

Very good brewery. One of my favs.

Edit: yeah only the lug tread is available in NY.

If you're in Toronto keep your eye out for this.

Pretty much the single most exciting news regarding beer in Toronto I've heard. If everything works out this has the potential to be amazing.

injurai

Banned
You can make you're own 6 pack of them, and it's comparable to the price that you'd expect the 6 pack to be given the price of the 4 pack.

Lotto

Missed out on some Abraxas... It sold out within an hour of my local store getting it. Couldn't do much since I was at work but damn it sounds like something I would enjoy. Settling for some Death by Coconut from Oskar Blues tonight, the taste and aroma is fantastic, lots of toasted coconut and some chocolate/coffee notes. Really wish it was a bit thicker though, seems kinda watery.

Missed out on some Abraxas... It sold out within an hour of my local store getting it. Couldn't do much since I was at work but damn it sounds like something I would enjoy. Settling for some Death by Coconut from Oskar Blues tonight, the taste and aroma is fantastic, lots of toasted coconut and some chocolate/coffee notes. Really wish it was a bit thicker though, seems kinda watery.

I had the exact same reaction to Death by Coconut. Should have been much thicker, but was still tasty.

Top Bottom