• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

AcridMeat said:
Speaking of which this is what I'm having tonight.
amber-bottle-pint.png

It's pretty good, haven't had a ton of amber ales so can't really compare.

Full Sail makes some good stuff, particularly their 22 oz. limited bomber releases like Elevation (Imperial IPA), Slipknot (Imperial IPA) and Wreck the Halls (Winter Warmer/IPA hybrid). My favorite of their 6-pack 12 oz. bottles is their Wassail winter warmer. Also, their Brewmaster Reserve Boardhead Barleywine is a great deal at $5 a bomber.

Avoid their standard IPA like the plague, though. Completely lacking in flavor.

AcridMeat

Banned
distantmantra said:
Full Sail makes some good stuff, particularly their 22 oz. limited bomber releases like Elevation (Imperial IPA), Slipknot (Imperial IPA) and Wreck the Halls (Winter Warmer/IPA hybrid). My favorite of their 6-pack 12 oz. bottles is their Wassail winter warmer. Also, their Brewmaster Reserve Boardhead Barleywine is a great deal at $5 a bomber.

Avoid their standard IPA like the plague, though. Completely lacking in flavor.

Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely will check those out as I'm a fan of IPAs.

AcridMeat said:
Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely will check those out as I'm a fan of IPAs.

Elevation (and Old Boardhead 2011) is the only one available at the moment. Doesn't have large distribution at the moment, but it should start showing up everywhere (and I do mean everywhere) pretty soon.

Kronotech

AcridMeat said:
If you like lighter beers you may not like a strong IPA, they're bitter. Maybe go with an amber ale or wheat if you want something sweeter.

Speaking of which this is what I'm having tonight.
amber-bottle-pint.png

It's pretty good, haven't had a ton of amber ales so can't really compare.

I wish I would have read this in time. I made the mistake of buying some Doghead Fish. Yikes that was rough.

I'll try to stick with some amber ale or wheat next time.

kottila

South of France is definately not a beer region. Selection is usually a couple of pilsners + a tequila beer(?). Luckily some restaurants have leffe which at least is some variation

HiResDes

Had two bottles of Milk Stout before switching back to regular summer fare yesterday, and I have to say it was superb. Up there with the likes of Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Smuttynose's Imperial.

HiResDes said:
Had two bottles of Milk Stout before switching back to regular summer fare yesterday, and I have to say it was superb. Up there with the likes of Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Smuttynose's Imperial.

Milk Stout as in Left Hand? If so, excellent choice. One of my favorite examples of a milk/cream/sweet stout.

sharkmuncher said:
2 beers and an hour of cutting with a kitchen knife later, my mini fridge holds 2 kegs + 5# tank. Hooray!
http://i.imgur.com/tupv7l.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
nice! did you run the tap(s) up through the top?

sharkmuncher said:
Not yet. That will be the next project, just a picnic tap and lines for 1 keg at a time for now.
ah...good luck. i've got a fridge converted to a dual-tap kegerator myself that fits 1/6 kegs or slim 1/4s, and i love always having 2 different brews on tap.

enjoy!

Mascot said:
Guinness > Dutch Beer > All Other Beer

pretty random.

I'd say most countries have amazing beers but the majority of people have just never heard of the actual good ones.

So many times when I'm travelling people say "Canada? Oh, like Molson!" and I just shake my head and think "nooooo that isn't the good stuff!"
I'm sure Australians feel something similar when people yell FOSTERS at them.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
distantmantra said:
http://i52.tinypic.com/ir5m49.jpg[IMG]

Recent pick-ups. Psyched about the Baird/Ishii/Stone collaboration green tea IPA.[/QUOTE]

Nice haul! That Boundary Bay IPA is REALLY good!

ShaneDude

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does beer always taste like ass when you first start drinking it? I'm not a heavy drinker but I always prefer shots and other liquor. So far I think I've only had Budweiser, Heineken and Keystone.

ShaneDude said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does beer always taste like ass when you first start drinking it? I'm not a heavy drinker but I always prefer shots and other liquor. So far I think I've only had Budweiser, Heineken and Keystone.

There's your problem. You've had nothing but macro lagers and American adjuncts. They don't taste like much.

WinoMcCougarstein said:
Nice haul! That Boundary Bay IPA is REALLY good!

I've had it on tap numerous times, now I can enjoy it whenever I feel like at home. Boundary Bay puts out great stuff. That and Laurelwood's Workhorse are my favorite standard IPAs.

thespot84

ShaneDude said:

distantmantra is right, however if you jump into some of the beers here you might be disappointed, as they have strong flavors you should build up to. What kind of liquor do you like?

HiResDes

ShaneDude said:
Start with something light, but pleasant like Hoegaarden.

hoegaarden.jpg

thespot84 said:
distantmantra is right, however if you jump into some of the beers here you might be disappointed, as they have strong flavors you should build up to. What kind of liquor do you like?

Yep, you want to ease in slowly. I remember Fat Tire was my go-to beer originally about ten years ago.

ShaneDude

thespot84 said:

Vodka is my go to stuff. I have enjoyed margaritas, bloody marys. Not the biggest fan of wine either. Like I said, I'm not the heaviest drinker.

Lagers/Pilsners to Wheats to Wherever your tastes lead you next. Probably Stouts or Porters or Browns. IPA's were the hardest for me to get into but once you do you won't be able to put 'em down

tokkun

ShaneDude said:

Pretty much, yes. I think Beer is an acquired taste - you have to be willing to put in some investment to enjoy it, particularly when talking about beers with burnt malt or strong hop profiles.

To be fair, though, what liquor doesn't "taste like ass" when you first start drinking it? You have to put time into it if you want to enjoy a glass of Islay Scotch or Anejo Tequila too.

ShaneDude said:
Vodka is my go to stuff. I have enjoyed margaritas, bloody marys. Not the biggest fan of wine either. Like I said, I'm not the heaviest drinker.

If you can get New Glarus Spotted Cow in your state, it's another great starter beer. It's got a clean flavor, not heavy, and it's very quaffable. You'll be on your 4th one before you know it.
w3sGv.jpg

A question for homebrew GAF... I just bottled my first batch that was dry hopped last weekend, and it was a MESS. There were hop particles EVERYWHERE. I ended up filtering it twice through cheesecloth to get it clear. There must be an easier way to get from the carboy to the bottling bucket... Suggestions?

fenners

InVinoVeritas said:
A question for homebrew GAF... I just bottled my first batch that was dry hopped last weekend, and it was a MESS. There were hop particles EVERYWHERE. I ended up filtering it twice through cheesecloth to get it clear. There must be an easier way to get from the carboy to the bottling bucket... Suggestions?

Did you just throw the hops into the bucket for dry hopping? When I did that, when I transferred out of my secondary to my bottling bucket, I put my auto-syphon into a sanitized nylon hop-bag. Acted as a filter for the hop debris and worked really well.

Now I just stick the hop pellets in the same nylon hop bag in the secondary & pull the whole bag out when I'm finished dry hopping.

I'm still pretty much a homebrew noob (third/fourth batch) though.

JohnTuk

Banned
ebc568.png

I don't like the taste of most beer, but the one above is the one that taste less bad for me. Does anyone have some suggestion for beer that doesn't taste like beer or taste like nothing? :p

Oh my fuck, Bavaria 8.6 fucking owns me. I drink it at all hours of the day, fuck, it's so sooo good. half liter of Dutch beer, 7.9 volume, 2.55 a can, that's a deal, imo.

fenners said:
Did you just throw the hops into the bucket for dry hopping? When I did that, when I transferred out of my secondary to my bottling bucket, I put my auto-syphon into a sanitized nylon hop-bag. Acted as a filter for the hop debris and worked really well.

Now I just stick the hop pellets in the same nylon hop bag in the secondary & pull the whole bag out when I'm finished dry hopping.

I'm still pretty much a homebrew noob (third/fourth batch) though.

Yeah, I tossed the pellets in whole, didn't even think about using a hop bag. Next time I'll either do the hops in a bag or the siphon in a bag, that's a great idea. The cheesecloth got most everything out, but I'm a little worried about exposure to oxygen from the racking back and forth twice... We'll see how it turns out!

lljride

I finally found a bottle of Rogue XS, got that chilling in my fridge. I've been keeping my eye out for one for a while now. I had one a year or two back at my brewpub (which they only had for short time), so I'm excited to pop it open and see if it's as tasty as I remember. Might hit it this weekend.

Also grabbed a 6 pack of Victory Storm King Stout while I was there. I had a couple of those earlier in the week and man, that is some tasty shit. I'm more of a hophead so I don't get into stouts much, but this one really worked for me. The 9+ ABV certainly helps.

Over the last week:
eaNchl.jpg

Amazing Pils. Just got it in at the local beer store. Any recommendations for any other Pilsners of the calibur that can be found in the US would be greatly appreciated.
zRJytl.jpg

Avery's summer seasonal. Great easy drinking beer with a Belgian gold-like character, but lower ABV
EtpWx.jpg

Another excellent summer beer. One of the higher rated American Wheats on BA. Good, but I am coming to the conclusion that plain wheat beers just don't really do it for me. Would rather have a Hefe or something with a little more oomph.
lWCJo.jpg

Finally a barleywine I brewed back in January. Bottled about a monthe ago and man was it worth the wait. ~9.5% ABV and enough hops to balance the sweetness, but still more of an emphasis on the malt. Tasty.

theb0xmIke

Neo Member
3957527002_01b3cdffef.jpg

I know it's not beer but what do you guys think of this cider rekorderlig? i think it's amazing some of the best stuff i've ever had.

Picked up a Ruination IPA from Stone Brewery. Now that's a man beer.

Any other recommendations from Stone? Already tried Arrogant Bastard and Levitation, what's the next one I should check out?

HiResDes

Tkawsome said:
Picked up a Ruination IPA from Stone Brewery. Now that's a man beer.

Any other recommendations from Stone? Already tried Arrogant Bastard and Levitation, what's the next one I should check out?
Imperial Russian Stout, be a man

3287277048_3e58bf1199.jpg

Check out their regular old pale ale and IPA, too. Their pale ale is a pretty fine gateway beer for people (not you, but people you know) who are getting a taste for hops and a nice companion in that regard I think to SNPA. And of course they're both very good beers regardless.

InVinoVeritas said:
If you can get New Glarus Spotted Cow in your state, it's another great starter beer. It's got a clean flavor, not heavy, and it's very quaffable. You'll be on your 4th one before you know it.
w3sGv.jpg

New Glarus doesn't distribute outside Wisconsin

lawblob said:
What are people's thoughts on Newcastle Ale?
I'd drink it a lot more than I do know if I could consistently find it in a can for ~$7/6pk.
There is no reason for it to almost always be >$10/6pk around here when the awesome craft brews are all between $2-3 cheaper.

However, Its one of those pretty good beers that is great to have at those bars where all they have is BMC on tap (along with Newcastle &/or Guinness)

Ithil

tokkun said:
Pretty much, yes. I think Beer is an acquired taste - you have to be willing to put in some investment to enjoy it, particularly when talking about beers with burnt malt or strong hop profiles.

To be fair, though, what liquor doesn't "taste like ass" when you first start drinking it? You have to put time into it if you want to enjoy a glass of Islay Scotch or Anejo Tequila too.
The likes of Malibu Rum or Southern Comfort have tasted delicious since the first time I ever drank them.

Top Bottom