• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

andylsun

I'm getting very little to no lupulin oil smell from these. They look like they should be ready very soon (going papery dry already), but still no smell.

Will pick one soon and cut it open and see if there's any oil inside.

nzSySlgl.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
Just got done doing a tasting for Crazy Mountain Brewing Company. They're coming to Florida and a buddy of mine works for the distribution company that's carrying it, so we had a bit of a preview party. Pretty good stuff.

Kieli

Got Blue Moon beer on rotation and really enjoyed it. They squeezed some lime into it to give it a slightly bitter taste. It was also slightly carbonated.

My beer game is weak, but it'll improve with time.

Mitch

Banned
Got Blue Moon beer on rotation and really enjoyed it. They squeezed some lime into it to give it a slightly bitter taste. It was also slightly carbonated.

My beer game is weak, but it'll improve with time.
Gotta start somewhere! Blue Moon was my go-to for the longest time.

Mitch

Banned
Mine was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Before that, I drank Shiner and Blue Moon almost exclusively. I thank my cousin every time I see him, since he's the one that brought a 6 pack.

I had a Hoof Hearted Everybody Wants Some Simcoe this weekend. Really nice beer, but after all the hype and hyperbole around their beers looking like chicken soup, I was pleasantly surprised to find it nice and clear. Did the brewery change their process? I know the head brewer never liked their beers being "ugly."

Mitch

Banned
I had a Hoof Hearted Everybody Wants Some Simcoe this weekend. Really nice beer, but after all the hype and hyperbole around their beers looking like chicken soup, I was pleasantly surprised to find it nice and clear. Did the brewery change their process? I know the head brewer never liked their beers being "ugly."
Not sure if they changed their process. When I had it on draft, it was pretty cloudy. Same with Konkey. I've seen some pretty "pulpy" looking beers that seem like there's a thick consistency to them. HHB's beers really don't compare in looks.

Not sure if they changed their process. When I had it on draft, it was pretty cloudy. Same with Konkey. I've seen some pretty "pulpy" looking beers that seem like there's a thick consistency to them. HHB's beers really don't compare in looks.

Some of the Trillium stuff I've had was pretty "thick."

I went through the Untappd feed of all recent HH beer checkins and everything is pretty clear. Hopefully there wasn't a revolt from the "hardcore" fans who demand turbid trub beer.

Mitch

Banned
Some of the Trillium stuff I've had was pretty "thick."

I went through the Untappd feed of all recent HH beer checkins and everything is pretty clear. Hopefully there wasn't a revolt from the "hardcore" fans who demand turbid trub beer.
The Trillium I had recently was perfect. Mettle had this beautiful solid orange color to it. Hopefully I can get my hands on some more soon.

HHB is canning Roller Blabe this upcoming Sunday. That stuff trades pretty well. Probably going to skip out on going.

HiResDes

The Trillium I had recently was perfect. Mettle had this beautiful solid orange color to it. Hopefully I can get my hands on some more soon.

HHB is canning Roller Blabe this upcoming Sunday. That stuff trades pretty well. Probably going to skip out on going.
Oh shit you need tickets right? Wonder if I should make a trip.

The beer in the picture is Lush Land, a 5% pale brewed with oats and dry hopped with Mosaic and Comet hops.

Fo real.

I hope they're eventually made everywhere so the stupid trade hype surrounding Tree House and a few others goes away.

Nic, they're pales/IPAs that are hazy or cloudy in appearance and often have much lower bitterness (super soft mouthfeel) than you'd expect for the hop bill. They can be so fruity with no discernible bitterness that they cause palate fatigue. At least for me. I like to call them Fisher Price My First IPA, IPAs for people who hate IPAs, or Juice. Fortunately the ones being made out here in the PNW are still bitter.

Mitch

Banned
Still prefer west coast style IPAs over these. Platform just released one here in CLE. One of my personal favorites right now.

HiResDes

I prefer NE style if I'm being honest, but not necessarily juicy Tree house stuff, just prefer a different balance than west coast though I appreciate it. West coast reeks more havoc on my palette I feel.

Lotto

image.jpg

There's a hazy cloud infecting Seattle breweries. Seapine, Fremont, Lucky Envelope and now Holy Mountain has caught the juice bug.

Of course they have that when I leave. Still, that Brett Saison they had that was for the Toronado anniversary was unlike anything I've had before, incredible how many distinct flavors they packed into that one. Also, I just really love Nelson hops.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The beer in the picture is Lush Land, a 5% pale brewed with oats and dry hopped with Mosaic and Comet hops.

Fo real.

I hope they're eventually made everywhere so the stupid trade hype surrounding Tree House and a few others goes away.

Nic, they're pales/IPAs that are hazy or cloudy in appearance and often have much lower bitterness (super soft mouthfeel) than you'd expect for the hop bill. They can be so fruity with no discernible bitterness that they cause palate fatigue. At least for me. I like to call them Fisher Price My First IPA, IPAs for people who hate IPAs, or Juice. Fortunately the ones being made out here in the PNW are still bitter.

Interesting. I'll have to hunt around here to see if there's anything like it. I'm always up to try something new. Indy seems to be ever-growing from a beer standpoint, so if it's a thing, I'm sure SOMEONE here as brewed one.

Syncytia

I don't think I've posted here before. Super jealous of you guys who grow hops. Can't exactly do that in Phoenix, at least not very well. I've heard of growing hops in southern California though.

I brewed my first batch a couple months ago, only had a bottle or two because it was severely undercarbonated. Otherwise I'm fairly sure it tasted correct! Pretty sure I'm getting a keg before I do my next batch, seems easier, can set the volume of CO2 you want, plus it would be badass and I'll have an excuse to make a kegerator.

I think I'm losing my taste for some beers though. Particularly dark ales that have...some sweetness I guess? I never understood when people said that before but now I do it's very trippy. I used to really love Belgian Dubbels and Tripels but now it's becoming hit or miss. Also Kiltlifter (Four Peaks scottish ale) tastes weird to me now. I'm kinda mad I can't enjoy as many beers as I used to.

Ron Mexico

If I lived near their brewery, I'd sign up for that in a hot minute. Seems like a great value.

It's a shade under 2 hours from my place to get there. GF and I usually make a day out of it-- even going once a month for their free pour and the perks of their events are worth the money. For a place as big as they are, honestly they're far more friendly/interactive than the majority of the smaller places locally.

I brewed my first batch a couple months ago, only had a bottle or two because it was severely undercarbonated. Otherwise I'm fairly sure it tasted correct! Pretty sure I'm getting a keg before I do my next batch, seems easier, can set the volume of CO2 you want, plus it would be badass and I'll have an excuse to make a kegerator.

I hated bottling with an absolute passion. Try to be so exact with temps, grain bills, etc, only to be left with something as imprecise as essentially guessing the corn sugar needed to carbonate. Lost an Oktoberfest that took half of my fridge for 5 months lagering because I overdid the corn sugar and essentially made bottle rockets. The entry cost is high but it's kegging or bust for me now.

andylsun

I hated bottling with an absolute passion. Try to be so exact with temps, grain bills, etc, only to be left with something as imprecise as essentially guessing the corn sugar needed to carbonate. Lost an Oktoberfest that took half of my fridge for 5 months lagering because I overdid the corn sugar and essentially made bottle rockets. The entry cost is high but it's kegging or bust for me now.

Used 5 gal corny kegs seem to be dropping in price which makes a nice change. Seen them as low as $40. Regulator + CO2 tank startup costs can be high, but it's so so worth it.

All the kegging gear I picked up was from one guy on craigslist, who decided that he didn't want to keg anymore and went back to bottling. I was first to respond to the advert and he did say the phone didn't stop ringing.

4 corny kegs
8 quick disconnects (4 gas, 4 beer)
CO2 regulator

$80

DONE

Syncytia

Good to hear. I figure I might as well get into it sooner rather than later and enjoy more brews rather than messing with a bunch of stuff and getting ok to bad results.

Looking at a refurb 5 gal keg kit and a 5lb CO2 tank for about $160 with shipping on homebrewsupply.com. That's with a 15% off coupon. I haven't done much research on CO2 tank size... they offer a 5lb and 10lb. What are the advantages of a 10lb tank over a 5lb with a 5 gal keg? A quick google does bring up checking what you can get filled; apparently some places won't do 5lb and the home brew places can be a rip off on those.

Good to hear. I figure I might as well get into it sooner rather than later and enjoy more brews rather than messing with a bunch of stuff and getting ok to bad results.

Looking at a refurb 5 gal keg kit and a 5lb CO2 tank for about $160 with shipping on homebrewsupply.com. That's with a 15% off coupon. I haven't done much research on CO2 tank size... they offer a 5lb and 10lb. What are the advantages of a 10lb tank over a 5lb with a 5 gal keg? A quick google does bring up checking what you can get filled; apparently some places won't do 5lb and the home brew places can be a rip off on those.

Go with the biggest tank you can fit. It costs me ~ $20 to exchange a 5# tank at my local homebrew shop and ~$15 to get it refilled. It costs ~$25 to fill my 20# tank that lasts about a year with 4 kegs. Plus it's much more stable sitting by my kegerator with a regulator attached to the top. Also, kegging is the best.

In fun Nebraska beer news today. Someone apparently pissed off the state liquor control which resulted in someone re-interpreting the vague laws on serving home brew at beer fests, competitions, club meetings etc. pretty much resulting in no home brew at festivals (which has been happening for years with no issue or change in laws), and a bunch of hurdles and fees to host or have any type of home brew competition. Rumor currently stands an ex-brewer from a larger local craft brewery wanted to pour beer from his new "in-progress" brewery at said larger brewery's beer fest, and larger brewery's somewhat petty owners raised a shit storm. This has been the fall out

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Was in Brugge last weekend and bought a Duvel Tripel Hop tasting set: the 6 variants of Duvel Tripel Hop (from 2011 to 2016) with nondescript labels. Was a lot of fun doing the tastings and trying to figure out what's what and note the differences between the years. I only got three right tho, but one of my friends had all six correct. Surely some luck involved, but still, guess her tastebuds are more delicate then mine :)

Apparantly the one most-liked (there's a voting system on their website I guess) will be brewed as a permanent beer. Hope it's Mosaic or Citra, liked those the most.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I drank too much last night, but I'd do it all over again.

Btw, I might as well put out my Untappd username: SaintFlorian

Follow me, y'all!

Top Bottom