• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Mitch

Banned
Had a Jackie O's Dark Apparition last night. I think I'm a bigger fan of stouts with coffee/vanilla/cinnamon. That's not to say this wasn't good. I really liked how heavy it was.

Also pleased to find a local pizza joint with 90 Minute available.

23zpJza.jpg

Finally found it! One of my favorite beers of last year.

TheFuzz

After some recommendations from friends, tracked down some Cigar City stuff in Atlanta.

About to enjoy my first Jai Alai, I hear good things....

Jarnet87

After some recommendations from friends, tracked down some Cigar City stuff in Atlanta.

About to enjoy my first Jai Alai, I hear good things....

Down where I am at in FL we get it 2-3 weeks from canning. It's one of my go to IPAs if I want more of that East Coast/Tropical style that I can just grab from any store instead of going to a brewery. Actually picked up a sixer maybe a month ago and was loving it.

I just tried Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA, thought it was a fantastic West Coast style IPA. Was like 2-3 weeks old, will definitely get more if my local stores get fresh shipments.

Also got 3 bottles of Prairie Apple Brandy Noir and one Birthday Bomb sitting in the fridge. Haven't tried either of these but I like regular bomb so I can't see either variant being bad. Pirate Bomb was crazy good.

Down where I am at in FL we get it 2-3 weeks from canning. It's one of my go to IPAs if I want more of that East Coast/Tropical style that I can just grab from any store instead of going to a brewery. Actually picked up a sixer maybe a month ago and was loving it.

I just tried Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA, thought it was a fantastic West Coast style IPA. Was like 2-3 weeks old, will definitely get more if my local stores get fresh shipments.

Also got 3 bottles of Prairie Apple Brandy Noir and one Birthday Bomb sitting in the fridge. Haven't tried either of these but I like regular bomb so I can't see either variant being bad. Pirate Bomb was crazy good.
That Apple Brandy Noir is tremendous.

HiResDes

Had a Jackie O's Dark Apparition last night. I think I'm a bigger fan of stouts with coffee/vanilla/cinnamon. That's not to say this wasn't good. I really liked how heavy it was.

Also pleased to find a local pizza joint with 90 Minute available.
Try their Oro Negro then dude... If you can find

riotous

Banned
Wild Ride Nut Crusher PB Porter is the best PB beer I've tried. Don't think bottles are distributed here but I always grab it if I see it on tap.

Going through the process of moving my entire "cellar"; which previously was just boxes in my garage haphazardly dispersed. I think I can keep my room at ~62-63 which isn't optimal but better than the garage in the summer.

Not entirely sure if it will all fit, may have to sacrifice some of my desk space with some sort rack. My office is doubling as my cellar now lol.

Wild Ride Nut Crusher PB Porter is the best PB beer I've tried. Don't think bottles are distributed here but I always grab it if I see it on tap.

Going through the process of moving my entire "cellar"; which previously was just boxes in my garage haphazardly dispersed. I think I can keep my room at ~62-63 which isn't optimal but better than the garage in the summer.

Not entirely sure if it will all fit, may have to sacrifice some of my desk space with some sort rack. My office is doubling as my cellar now lol.

Here in Corvallis, I see Nut Crusher bottles every time I'm out. Let me know if you'd like me to ship you some.

Jarrod38

Just about to finsih off my Nutcase and damn what a good beer. And hopefully in a few days I might be able to start buying Dogfish 120 Minute IPA one of the first 18% above ABV in Ohio.

I made a Vienna lager. The world needs more Vienna lagers.

Code:
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
10.00 gal             Distilled Water                          Water         1        -             
5.00 g                Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)        Water Agent   2        -             
2.00 g                Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent   3        -             
9 lbs 8.0 oz          Vienna Malt (Great Western) (3.0 SRM)    Grain         4        94.4 %        
4.0 oz                Melanoidin (Weyermann) (30.0 SRM)        Grain         5        2.5 %         
3.0 oz                Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)          Grain         6        1.9 %         
2.0 oz                Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)           Grain         7        1.2 %         
40.0 g                Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           8        25.0 IBUs     
16.0 g                Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min        Hop           9        2.0 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) [35.49 Yeast         10       -

Local brewery does a limited bourbon-barrel stout release (12oz bottles) with an initial limit of 4/per person. For some unknown reason they decide that there is no bottle limit at the time bottles go on sale. Expected fuckery ensues as bottles sell out quickly and many that thought they would get some are screwed. Not sure what they were thinking with this one and have not given a reason for abandoning the limit. The people who got theirs act like the release was fine and those who didn't get any should have gotten there earlier... Some people just don't get it. If the first person in line bought all of it (no limits right?), would they have been OK with that? Sometimes the scene looks so bad when this stuff happens.

No, I was not there for the bottle release. Went down later to get some on draft as I knew the release would be a shit-show. Didn't know it would be THAT bad.

Local brewery does a limited bourbon-barrel stout release (12oz bottles) with an initial limit of 4/per person. For some unknown reason they decide that there is no bottle limit at the time bottles go on sale. Expected fuckery ensues as bottles sell out quickly and many that thought they would get some are screwed. Not sure what they were thinking with this one and have not given a reason for abandoning the limit. The people who got theirs act like the release was fine and those who didn't get any should have gotten there earlier... Some people just don't get it. If the first person in line bought all of it (no limits right?), would they have been OK with that? Sometimes the scene looks so bad when this stuff happens.

No, I was not there for the bottle release. Went down later to get some on draft as I knew the release would be a shit-show. Didn't know it would be THAT bad.

How early were people showing up?

How early were people showing up?

Releases around here haven't reached the point of sleeping out for. There have been enough releases from locals that they know what to expect anymore. They released it in 750's last year and it was available into the next week. The local scene has turned into a pissing contest of "look at my rare beers bro" based on the local FB group and just going to some other releases/tastings. This brewery knew better and I'd like to hear their excuse if they ever offer up one. Sell it a 4/per and if there's some left then let people get back in to buy more if they want to. No limit is just asking for trouble given the hoarder mentality permeating the craft scene. They know they messed up and have admitted it.

Releases around here haven't reached the point of sleeping out for. There have been enough releases from locals that they know what to expect anymore. They released it in 750's last year and it was available into the next week. The local scene has turned into a pissing contest of "look at my rare beers bro" based on the local FB group and just going to some other releases/tastings. This brewery knew better and I'd like to hear their excuse if they ever offer up one. Sell it a 4/per and if there's some left then let people get back in to buy more if they want to. No limit is just asking for trouble given the hoarder mentality permeating the craft scene. They know they messed up and have admitted it.

That sucks. What brewery?

Same shit is happening here. People buy up stuff so they can trade it for other stuff. Drives me nuts.

Limits keep getting cut around here, which is fine with me since I never buy more than two of any big release. Holy Mountain has even cut down on the limit during the release based on how many people show up. Gotta spread the love the best you can.

That sucks. What brewery?

Same shit is happening here. People buy up stuff so they can trade it for other stuff. Drives me nuts.

Limits keep getting cut around here, which is fine with me since I never buy more than two of any big release. Holy Mountain has even cut down on the limit during the release based on how many people show up. Gotta spread the love the best you can.

Fifty West. They're one of my favorites of the locals and this is pretty much the only release they do that will generate any hype. Disappointing to see them bomb this one.

Fifty West. They're one of my favorites of the locals and this is pretty much the only release they do that will generate any hype. Disappointing to see them bomb this one.

I looked at their Facebook page, there's some anger but just a couple posts. I wonder if the beer sat around too long last time and getting rid of the limits might have made sense to them?

I looked at their Facebook page, there's some anger but just a couple posts. I wonder if the beer sat around too long last time and getting rid of the limits might have made sense to them?

There's a local FB "craft beer society" group where there was more vitriol spewed. It's where the "got mine, too bad" crowd came out to rub it in and the others who got none were posting about it being a joke of a release.

The way the local scene has been there's pretty much no doubt it would sell out even with the limit. If it was a mid-week release maybe it takes a few days but a Saturday release pretty much guarantees it's gone before Monday. The scene has gotten out of hand over the last year and their release last year was in 750's (cost more per oz and psychological effect of higher bottle cost) and didn't have a lot of hype surrounding it. I was there on a Wednesday following the weekend release as it was still on tap and they had some bottles left but I believe they were out before the weekend.

HiResDes

Man didn't know that pizza place next door was so bomb was just up there.

Anyway, this is unrelated but I had a quick question I just copped two bottles of Upland Malefactor and I wanted to drink one and cellar the other, are sours known to age well, is this a smart decision?

Also Ernie was just up at Cappy's in Loveland and they informed me that they might get leftover Rollerblabe in short commodities if that also tickles your fancy.

Man didn't know that pizza place next door was so bomb was just up there.

Anyway, this is unrelated but I had a quick question I just copped two bottles of Upland Malefactor and I wanted to drink one and cellar the other, are sours known to age well, is this a smart decision?

Also Ernie was just up at Cappy's in Loveland and they informed me that they might get leftover Rollerblabe in short commodities if that also tickles your fancy.

Sours absolutely age well. Still haven't had any HH. Interested in trying it but not looking to make the haul to Cappy's on the chance they may have it.

I made a Vienna lager. The world needs more Vienna lagers.
I agree. One of my favorite styles. I really want to brew one, but I'm in a one-bedroom apartment and I lack temperature control for lagers. Hopefully, I'll be buying a house some time this year and this will be on the list pretty shortly after that.

Sometimes I don't really know how to form an opinion on these kinds of things. Coming at it from the brewery side, if everyone comes in, buys a case, and it's all gone in an hour, that's probably the best situation for the them. They just want to sell beer, not organize an event.

On the other hand, if you're going to participate in the craft beer hype culture, you should probably put a modicum of effort into being a good steward. And to me, part of that includes not just dumping your entire stock into third-party hoarding/trading channels.

So, I guess I can see it both ways.

Sometimes I don't really know how to form an opinion on these kinds of things. Coming at it from the brewery side, if everyone comes in, buys a case, and it's all gone in an hour, that's probably the best situation for the them. They just want to sell beer, not organize an event.

On the other hand, if you're going to participate in the craft beer hype culture, you should probably put a modicum of effort into being a good steward. And to me, part of that includes not just dumping your entire stock into third-party hoarding/trading channels.

So, I guess I can see it both ways.

A beer release basically is an event. You're asking a lot of people to come to your brewery to buy your beer. If they hold to a bottle limit maybe those that show up buy something else other than the limited beer (clothing/gear) and hang out for a pint or two. If everyone blows their load on a case and bails I don't think that works out as well for the brewery in the short term or long. Knowing your chances for getting that limited release are very slim if you happen to be X-spot in line, you're probably less like to attend = less chance for the brewery to sell something else. Not to mention the hoarding mentality that will have those in the front of the line buying more than a case in some situations. They'll buy as much as they can possibly afford. Less available for the rest of the line. Looks bad and people have a negative view of the brewery and any releases they do going forward (like they currently do with Fifty West).

If I owned a brewery I'd want the beer in as many hands as possible as it creates a better image for the brewery, more people at a release and most likely increased sales of other product. Not asking every brewery to do a Dark Lord Day type event, but dumping it all as fast as possible is not a good look.

HiResDes

A beer release basically is an event. You're asking a lot of people to come to your brewery to buy your beer. If they hold to a bottle limit maybe those that show up buy something else other than the limited beer (clothing/gear) and hang out for a pint or two. If everyone blows their load on a case and bails I don't think that works out as well for the brewery in the short term or long. Knowing your chances for getting that limited release are very slim if you happen to be X-spot in line, you're probably less like to attend = less chance for the brewery to sell something else. Not to mention the hoarding mentality that will have those in the front of the line buying more than a case in some situations. They'll buy as much as they can possibly afford. Less available for the rest of the line. Looks bad and people have a negative view of the brewery and any releases they do going forward (like they currently do with Fifty West).

If I owned a brewery I'd want the beer in as many hands as possible as it creates a better image for the brewery, more people at a release and most likely increased sales of other product. Not asking every brewery to do a Dark Lord Day type event, but dumping it all as fast as possible is not a good look.

There are people on Untappd claiming to have over fifty bottles, like holy shit.

I've got a fairly dim view of the hoarders and traders who soak up all the supply and keep it out of the hands of locals. So I agree that it's not really a good look and I'm with you that they should probably put at least a little effort in. All I'm saying is that I understand why they might take the easy way out. If they're just looking at units sold, even if they lose the less-than-hardcore people who didn't get their case, those hoarders will still come back next time and buy up the whole stock.

And I suspect you're overestimating the impact that these limited releases have on the bottom line of the brewery. As loud as craft beer culture people are, breweries still make most of their money on the everyday IPA or wheat beer that regular people drink and those regular people aren't going to care all that much about a special barrel release.

But I'd say give them time. If they're a new/small brewery, chances are they know more about making beer than they do about selling beer. If they're savvy at all, they'll hear the complaints and try harder next time.

I've got a fairly dim view of the hoarders and traders who soak up all the supply and keep it out of the hands of locals. So I agree that it's not really a good look and I'm with you that they should probably put at least a little effort in. All I'm saying is that I understand why they might take the easy way out. If they're just looking at units sold, even if they lose the less-than-hardcore people who didn't get their case, those hoarders will still come back next time and buy up the whole stock.

And I suspect you're overestimating the impact that these limited releases have on the bottom line of the brewery. As loud as craft beer culture people are, breweries still make most of their money on the everyday IPA or wheat beer that regular people drink and those regular people aren't going to care all that much about a special barrel release.

But I'd say give them time. If they're a new/small brewery, chances are they know more about making beer than they do about selling beer. If they're savvy at all, they'll hear the complaints and try harder next time.

I didn't go for the bottle release but went down to try it on draft (as did many others). There's certainly a benefit to doing a release and doing it well (people still willing to come down to try it on draft). If the release went smoothly then maybe I'd head down the next time it's on sale. After this one, I'm not so certain until I hear more from them. Didn't hear about how bad it was until we were down there and reading comments on FB.

There's enough of a beer geek culture that breweries will benefit from doing a barrel-aged or sour release. The scene in Cincy is crazy right now and every limited release is well attended and pretty much sells out that day. It's a nice bump and won't make or break a brewery, but there's a benefit to doing them. It's easy money and the brewery will make more for themselves instead of sending it out into distribution.

Ron Mexico

Maybe it's me, but I've gotten to the point now where I look at these releases and have two options:

A) Go a couple hours early, wait in line, hope for the best

B) Spend those same couple hours taking a trip to a brewery I haven't been to before. Maybe it's great, maybe it's terrible, but either way it's different.

The whale hunting was a good time for a while. Now I just don't have the patience anymore. To me, the whole reason I got into the beer scene was to enjoy it. When it becomes more of a chore and more like that FB group mentioned above (and there's one just like it in my area too), it loses what made this whole hobby special in the first place.

Just my $.02

Maybe it's me, but I've gotten to the point now where I look at these releases and have two options:

A) Go a couple hours early, wait in line, hope for the best

B) Spend those same couple hours taking a trip to a brewery I haven't been to before. Maybe it's great, maybe it's terrible, but either way it's different.

The whale hunting was a good time for a while. Now I just don't have the patience anymore. To me, the whole reason I got into the beer scene was to enjoy it. When it becomes more of a chore and more like that FB group mentioned above (and there's one just like it in my area too), it loses what made this whole hobby special in the first place.

Just my $.02
Completely agree. I'd love to support the locals more with these releases but they're just not that pleasant to attend. I was actually at another new brewery that just opened when that release was going on. I used to trade a LOT on BA but as the "whalez bro" culture started taking over it made it not worth the time. I'd be down to trade on GAF if anyone is interested.

I'm not going to travel for a beer release, but I'll keep going to my locals that do these such as Fremont and Holy Mountain. As much as I complain, I always end up having a good time hanging out in line with friends who go with me.

And I'll buy my two bottles and enjoy them down the road. Even if the limit is more than two.

Korbinian, Aventinus (and the Eisbock), Sam Adams Double Bock, Andechser Doppelbock. Yes, one of those is not like the others, but Sam makes a solid double Bock.

Ron Mexico

Completely agree. I'd love to support the locals more with these releases but they're just not that pleasant to attend. I was actually at another new brewery that just opened when that release was going on. I used to trade a LOT on BA but as the "whalez bro" culture started taking over it made it not worth the time. I'd be down to trade on GAF if anyone is interested.

I'd be available to help as well. I know a few of you guys mentioned not getting Weyerbacher. Like I said, I'd be happy to send some down-- I just don't want anything more than its value in return. I'd be cool with sending whatever you guys want and just cover the beer and shipping. Whichever way. I'd rather enjoy good beer with others than claim the whalez on BA.

I'd probably be up for some locals for locals of cans at some point. So much easier and cheaper to ship. Guy sent me a USPS priority mailer full of cans for wayyyy less than FedEx or UPS. Apparently it's pretty easy to get away with cans...

HiResDes

There are so many good that aren't quite limited enough to be whalez but are almost as good, those are the beers I'm currently trying to acquire to fill up my cellar. I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I find myself trading a dozen bottles of something perfectly good for a single whale

So, one local store marked down their Old Stock Cellar Reserve 2013 to only $6.49 a bottle, down from $23.99.

I had no choice but to buy them out. Sure, it was only 4 bottles, but the price was downright criminal.

Top Bottom