• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Sours with fruit and barrel aged sours are to die for. I don't blame them.

It's funny. Holy Mountain non-fruited sours and tart barrel aged saisons don't have the same bloodlust. But throw fruit in it and people go absolutely insane. I actually think their non-fruited stuff is sometimes better.

Sometimes I think people would be just as happy with a fucking can of Orange or Grape Crush.

ShinAmano

It's why I've stopped caring as much as I used to about craft beer. Finding a couple of great beers that I can get regularly for a fair price is more exciting to me. I'll still grab a bottle or two of nicer unique stuff once in a while, but I don't go out of my way. It's also nice that Indy has a shit ton of really solid breweries that I can go to whenever I want - there's no shortage of beer to try locally!
Agree. Love RVA for that aspect. Stone, Veil, Hardywood, Answer and a ton of others.

It's funny. Holy Mountain non-fruited sours and tart barrel aged saisons don't have the same bloodlust. But throw fruit in it and people go absolutely insane. I actually think their non-fruited stuff is sometimes better.

Sometimes I think people would be just as happy with a fucking can of Orange or Grape Crush.
Well, then you've stumbled on exactly what it is: fruit just sells better than straight beer. It's marketing. Fruity sours have actually tapped into a huge market that just wasn't into beer before. I think it's a good stepping stone for other kinds of beers, too.

But anyway, I'm going to say it again: I, too, lose my mind when I taste something that's been aged in oak. It's just such a magical factor that really delights.

Ron Mexico

Well, then you've stumbled on exactly what it is: fruit just sells better than straight beer. It's marketing. Fruity sours have actually tapped into a huge market that just wasn't into beer before. I think it's a good stepping stone for other kinds of beers, too.

But anyway, I'm going to say it again: I, too, lose my mind when I taste something that's been aged in oak. It's just such a magical factor that really delights.

I wonder what would happen if someone took say, Lindemans, replaced the label, and offered it up as a rare release. My bet is people would freak and line up around the block for it.

Not to say there's anything wrong with Lindemans. There's not at all. It's just so much of the hype culture is about the hype, not the beer.

As with anything, you can always fool yourself into overvaluing something that is ultimately, uh, a beverage. Beer (and wine, and whiskey, and...) is an art. It has value. It's just up to you to decide how much you want to spend on that art. Me, I'll never spend more than $3 a bottle :p

Lindemanns adds sugar to the majority of their lambics. The Cuvée Renee stuff doesn't and is super solid and affordable.

Trading makes beer great. Price gouging and trying to win trades make it not great. I am a great trader.

Cutting into super limited regional releases on the other side of the country and causing people to bring mules for trades and shutting locals out (this happened with Rusty Nail, Riotus can back me up) does not make beer great.

Nothing personal. Seriously. That's reality now.

ShinAmano

Lindemanns adds sugar to the majority of their lambics. The Cuvée Renee stuff doesn't and is super solid and affordable.

Cutting into super limited regional releases on the other side of the country and causing people to bring mules for trades and shutting locals out (this happened with Rusty Nail, Riotus can back me up) does not make beer great.

I can see that. However with that said sharing local brews with people across the country is fun. I sent a few boxes out monday with some veil brews and was sent videos, pics and texts of people enjoying them. Most of the traders I deal with are generally cool people I never would have met had it not been for trading.

On that someone is sending me a rusty nail and I can't wait :)

Well what is an alternative? Just accept the place you live/only travel yourself? Some areas that may be great for I guess. Yeah mules are bad, as is people clearing out stock for trade bait, but fair one for one trading is still better then paying scalper prices if you can't just accept where you live. Every hobby that I'm into seems to have this sort of problem. Even without trades you will always have people trying to get more then their "fair share" of something rare and limited, be it for long term storage or straight up selling. Trading contributes to it, but I still feel it is the lesser of all the various "evils". On the other hand aggressively lobbying for trades of every new release can be annoying of course.

This is all coming from someone who doesn't trade and tries to travel/has friends that travel to get what I can. Fremont stuff does sound great, but I doubt I'll ever be able to make it out there.
What can I say though, this is the only place I really talk about beer online and I probably only don't try to offer trades because I cover the same region ShinAmano does already.

In other news, seems a bar I go to is having a Wicked Weed launch event this month when I've never seen stuff from them this far north (northern VA). Happy to be able to try some fresh stuff instead of relying on a friend that lives near the brewery this time.

ShinAmano

Ha slacker. I'll crack some freemont with you :)

I believe wicked weed will be getting va distro in the near future :)

I picked up a bunch down in obx this year which was a first.

I believe wicked weed will be getting va distro in the near future :)

Yeah seems to be the case. They are going to have stuff at Churchkey and Rustico this month and it's being advertised as "launch events" I think so I guess this is just part of their natural growth.

A friend just brought me up some of their sours that I loved so looking forward to it.

Once I gave up the rat race, this worked out pretty well for me.

Different strokes.

It helps that there is a ton of good stuff that travels. There are people that don't even give that stuff a try while only aiming at the super limited regional stuff and that's a shame. For example, Avery is like everywhere and their stouts compare well with a lot of other stuff yet I've had friends that just completely skip them.

Yeah can't wait ... but my wallet might cry lol.

That's what I'm worried about. The bar prices of their stuff. The price of sours can help it not sell out super fast though.

I know guys who do nothing but trade for NE IPAs and refuse to drink anything local. [shrug]

image.jpg

First of the fresh hops and some Intergalactic Hop Shop. Oh yeah.

I know guys who do nothing but trade for NE IPAs and refuse to drink anything local. [shrug]

image.jpg

It's that season again, for sure. I'm headed out to one of the local hop fields here in central IL to lend a hand with the harvest tomorrow. Expect I'll come away with enough wet hops to do a brew Sunday morning.

-KRS-

Had some belgian-style beer today that I got from a friend who was recently in Belgium. He gave me this glass and the beer:
I'm not a huge fan of the Westmalle Tripel since I think it tastes too much like alcohol, but the dubbel is excellent. Can't get that one here locally, except for at one bar I know of but it's of course more expensive there. I also had a La Trappe Tripel and a Kasteel Tripel which were also great. I've never had the Kasteel Tripel before.

Ron Mexico

...and then there was the time I took the SO out to dinner and Cantillon Classic Gueze is in the middle of their tap list. Just unassumingly hanging out there.

So good.

Jarnet87

I think the hops game in South FL sucks, but at least we get Jai Alai (that's sort of local lol). Most of the breweries down here are more concerned with getting their flagship/core beers into distribution rather then canning/bottling stuff to sell directly at the brewery. Civil Society are really the only ones doing consistent releases of killer IPAs but it's like a 3-3.5 hour round trip and their cans don't tend to last that long.

Went a bit out of my way this evening to get a glass of 2013 Backyard Rye. They took good care of this keg. Mellowed a bit, but still pretty great. Nice berry punch that mellows into the dark cocoa and mild boozy warmth.

If you're anywhere near Lexington, IL, check out Kemp's. They've got a hell of a lineup.

Lotto

image.jpg

Can you blame traders when you get stuff like this and can't get it in their region?

I'm certainly jealous right now.

Don't get me wrong, I drink plenty local, it's just there's so much going on elsewhere that you can't help but be curious.

-KRS-

How is Geuze pronounced btw? Is it a hard G? Is the eu part pronounced like an Ö? Is the last E silent? The bartender at the bar I work at pronounce it like "Gös" with a hard G and silent E, but I'm not sure. An american girl I know pronounce it like "Güs".

How is Geuze pronounced btw? Is it a hard G? Is the eu part pronounced like an Ö? Is the last E silent? The bartender at the bar I work at pronounce it like "Gös" with a hard G and silent E, but I'm not sure. An american girl I know pronounce it like "Güs".

Like goose with a z at the end instead of the S.

pxleyes

Banned

Gu-za

Not to be confused with gose, pronounced go-za

ShinAmano

Can you blame traders when you get stuff like this and can't get it in their region?

I'm certainly jealous right now.

Don't get me wrong, I drink plenty local, it's just there's so much going on elsewhere that you can't help but be curious.
Pretty much :)

That said I am out on hop season now...on to darker stuff. :)

That said summer was pretty awesome thanks to veil killing it with all their ipas.

Lotto

Officially going to my first Zwanze day. Really excited and somewhat surprised the tickets sold out so fast. Gonna be going with my brother and some friends.

Zwanze tickets go on sale here in a couple weeks. I've been twice and always had a blast, hopefully I get in this year.

Also, Ancient One 1 per person. Still not buying any with the $30/375ml price, but love that they're working on cutting down on muling bullshit.

Badgerst3

It helps that there is a ton of good stuff that travels. There are people that don't even give that stuff a try while only aiming at the super limited regional stuff and that's a shame. For example, Avery is like everywhere and their stouts compare well with a lot of other stuff yet I've had friends that just completely skip them.

That's what I'm worried about. The bar prices of their stuff. The price of sours can help it not sell out super fast though.

PM me if you want to trade any San Diego based beers. (Huge fan of Lost Abbey. Track 8 specifically). Treasure trove o breweries around here.

Love to get my hands on anything Toppling Goliath or Evil Twin.

pxleyes

Banned
$120 for four 375 ml bottles is insane. At least for me.
Most I've ever paid per ounce was $24 for a 375 of Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus. Got 2 at that price. And to put even that price into perspective, one bottle is for when my son is born and the second for a future bday of his. So ya, I'm with you on the 120 for 4x375.

Most I've ever paid per ounce was $24 for a 375 of Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus. Got 2 at that price. And to put even that price into perspective, one bottle is for when my son is born and the second for a future bday of his. So ya, I'm with you on the 120 for 4x375.

What's crazy is those should retail for less than $10 in the US. For reference, I bought a three pack of 750s (Geueze, RdG and Kriek) at Cantillon for 15 Euros.

Lotto

Finally got to try some of the stupid hyped Monkish IPAs yesterday. Didn't line up for cans but had them on tap (no lines and at 2PM!) and my god they were amazing. JFK 2 LAX was seriously one of the best triple IPAs I've ever had, hell, one of the best beers I've ever had. Motueka, Citra, and Simcoe, in collaboration with Other Half. Not sure how much the recipe differs aside from a single hop swap but their Water Balloon Fighters was Mosaic, Citra, Simcoe and wasn't nearly as tasty but still good. Still left with a growler of Eating Other Editors (Amarillo, Galaxy, and Mosaic) as a consolation prize. The concept of lining up for these cans isn't completely lost on me anymore but I personally wouldn't do it, I'd maybe wait an hour tops. Seriously, some dude started waiting in line at 10 PM the day before, that's 12 hours and absolutely inane.

Lotto

These shouldn't be 'held' they should be consumed fresh. Trading for these is ridiculous, they release basically every week. Go to the tasting room, get your fill, and be happy.

These shouldn't be 'held' they should be consumed fresh. Trading for these is ridiculous, they release basically every week. Go to the tasting room, get your fill, and be happy.

I think that's what blows me away about TH. They release a TON of beer every single week, but the offers I see online just crack me up. Yet sadly people do it.

woodland

Don't post here much, but I love beer. New burger shop w/ a liquor license opened down the shore and I tried the Jackco Traveller Pumpkin Ale. Thought it was too sweet in the taster glass but a full pint was just fantastic. Not too pumpkin-y, not too sweet. Gonna enjoy this one this fall I think.

edit: Traveler Jack-O Pumpkin Ale.

pxleyes

Banned
People still holding King Julius from back in June. Stupid doesn't begin to describe it. I trade for it because I like the taste, but I'm going to be so damn happy when they open their new facility and supply skyrockets. Same thing happened with Cycle stouts, and I was able to get the whole week set for the first time ever.

I'd really like to try Tree House (any of their IPAs, I don't care) so I can compare it to all the other juice IPAs I've had, but I don't feel like trading for it. Hopefully once they up production my wife will be able to track some down when she's in Boston for work.

Speaking of that, she used to be able to get me Trillium bottles, but once the brewery switched to cans they stopped retail distribution. Stupid fucking can hype.

Top Bottom