• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

riotous

Banned
Got to Fremont at 7AM, 4 hours until open.

R2hyAGg.jpg

ShinAmano

Not too many in front of us; maybe 50? Although many will have mules show up near open.

The line was already around the entire block by 8:30 tho. It's a big block too, easily a few hundred people.
Sounds about standard for a big release...that said would he pissed if people tried to cut in line close to open. Breweries here started handing out tickets which cuts down on that.

riotous

Banned
Sounds about standard for a big release...that said would he pissed if people tried to cut in line close to open. Breweries here started handing out tickets which cuts down on that.

They are handing out tokens in a few minutes and claimed they are going to be strict.

HiResDes: got some chairs, and my ride is parked right next to our spot in line. Just listening to music and playing games. It's not too bad, not much different than what I'd be doing at home.

Jarnet87

Did not go to the release today but J Wakefield was giving out Baseball cards as a ticket system for it lol. Interesting way to do things.

Got to Fremont around 11:05 and waited maybe ten minutes for some pours of the Ancient Ones. Really good but honestly, I don't think I could tell them apart from standard KDS and BBomb.

They are handing out tokens in a few minutes and claimed they are going to be strict.

HiResDes: got some chairs, and my ride is parked right next to our spot in line. Just listening to music and playing games. It's not too bad, not much different than what I'd be doing at home.
Minus the hanging out by a dumpster (I hope).

riotous

Banned
Got to Fremont around 11:05 and waited maybe ten minutes for some pours of the Ancient Ones. Really good but honestly, I don't think I could tell them apart from standard KDS and BBomb.

I just recently had both KDS and BBomb and agree but these are definitely boozier; although that makes sense in more way than one.

All excellent beer and was a fun experience either way; people were pouring and sharing 2-3 year old bourbon county variants, duck duck geuze and all kinds of shit in line. Was too early for me lol.

And yeah Shin I wouldn't bet the farm on these.

ShinAmano

I just recently had both KDS and BBomb and agree but these are definitely boozier; although that makes sense in more way than one.

All excellent beer and was a fun experience either way; people were pouring and sharing 2-3 year old bourbon county variants, duck duck geuze and all kinds of shit in line. Was too early for me lol.

And yeah Shin I wouldn't bet the farm on these.
Thanks for the heads up. Yeah love line shares. Can't recommend dark lord day enough for this...despite generally shitty weather and regardless your thoughts on dark lord...the event itself is awesome.

Cheers guys!

riotous

Banned
Don't know if I've ever had a Jackie O's beer.

Finishing my night off with a Cuivre from The Bruery, had Apple Brandy Bomb earlier... DIABETUS

edit: Scratch that.. wife wanted more so I cracked open a Rye Whiskey Abyss..

If I don't wake up tomorrow, distantmantra I name you executor of my beer estate.

The Stillwater Dry cans are hot. Super hot.

Great beer, too.!

Don't know if I've ever had a Jackie O's beer.

Finishing my night off with a Cuivre from The Bruery, had Apple Brandy Bomb earlier... DIABETUS

edit: Scratch that.. wife wanted more so I cracked open a Rye Whiskey Abyss..

If I don't wake up tomorrow, distantmantra I name you executor of my beer estate.

Hope you survived. Otherwise I will disperse it amongst beer-GAF. Peeps just gotta pay for shipping. ;-)

Simcoe Field to Ferment released today. Psyched.

I survived!

Any insider info on when Ancient One is hitting retail? My friend from Tacoma is itching to try it.

It's already been shipped out. As for Tacoma I' guessing Pint Defiance and E9 will get a very small amount each. A case is six bottles. Should be $35 +tax at retail.

I'm very happy how Chuck's is doing it. No to go bottle sales, pours only at Fremont sponsored events.

:(

I've had no luck.

Let go of the FOMO and drink some local beer. You'll feel better.

Mitch

Banned
Jackie O's deserves the love. I haven't been let down by any of their beers so far.

I'd love to try bourbon barrel Oil.

So I've added a fourth tap to my kegerator. Taps one and two are for traditional sacch fermented beers, tap three is for wild beers (brett and beers fermented with bacteria) and tap four is for sparkling water. I've been adjusting my water for brewing for about a decade, but I think I've taken things too far this time. I take distilled water and build up the correct minerals (gypsum, Epsom salt, sodium chloride etc) to clone various commercial artisan sparkling waters. I've made syrups (ginger and a lemongrass lime) for visitors who want a soda too. It all started when I found myself consistently brewing 3% and 4% beers (brett session IPAs and wits mostly) that I might as well just produce water. It's kind of antithetical to this groups love of the strong beers. Sorry.

Bacon

So I've added a fourth tap to my kegerator. Taps one and two are for traditional sacch fermented beers, tap three is for wild beers (brett and beers fermented with bacteria) and tap four is for sparkling water. I've been adjusting my water for brewing for about a decade, but I think I've taken things too far this time. I take distilled water and build up the correct minerals (gypsum, Epsom salt, sodium chloride etc) to clone various commercial artisan sparkling waters. I've made syrups (ginger and a lemongrass lime) for visitors who want a soda too. It all started when I found myself consistently brewing 3% and 4% beers (brett session IPAs and wits mostly) that I might as well just produce water. It's kind of antithetical to this groups love of the strong beers. Sorry.

I love sparkling water, not as much as I love beer, but sparkling water is great too. Sounds cool, never thought about trying to make my own sparkling water.

I mostly brew in the 4%ish range, myself. Part of it is due to equipment capacity issues. Part of it is just preference. I pretty much always have a low gravity sour on tap. And then usually some kind of session pale or mild. I probably only get around to brewing something north of 5% three or four times a year.

I prefer low ABV sessionable stuff. No need to apologize. :)

I 💘 you my brothers in low alcohol beer. My issue is that I love sessioning out some pints and I love brewing. The only solution is to brew lower alcohol beer and have friends over. Most of my friends are brewers and we're always trying to kill kegs. It's a nasty cycle.

Over the last five years I've found that I've really become a saison (season) brewer. I make saisons and Berliners in summer, fall is IPA and Cascadians, winter is Belgian session ales and spring is Belgian and German wheat beers. My 59 gallon wine barrel solera keeps my full of sour beer (it's really fun to blend with fresh fruits in summer) and I always have fermenters of other wild experiments (my current favorite is a wild beer that I built using the yeast that grew on dandelion flowers).

I still make a double IPA every fall (for kegging) and dark strongs in winter for bottling, but I really have reinvigorated my brewing with my love of session ales. I've really enjoyed the process of taking some of my favorite recipes and tweaking them with mash temp/thickness and % of specialty malt to make a full tasting and well rounded session beer.

I'll have been brewing for 20 years come this February and I really need to come up with something nuts to brew to celebrate. Any ideas? Nothing's too weird. I'm toying with the idea of making a sake hybrid beer.

I 💘 you my brothers in low alcohol beer. My issue is that I love sessioning out some pints and I love brewing. The only solution is to brew lower alcohol beer and have friends over. Most of my friends are brewers and we're always trying to kill kegs. It's a nasty cycle.

Over the last five years I've found that I've really become a saison (season) brewer. I make saisons and Berliners in summer, fall is IPA and Cascadians, winter is Belgian session ales and spring is Belgian and German wheat beers. My 59 gallon wine barrel solera keeps my full of sour beer (it's really fun to blend with fresh fruits in summer) and I always have fermenters of other wild experiments (my current favorite is a wild beer that I built using the yeast that grew on dandelion flowers).

I still make a double IPA every fall (for kegging) and dark strongs in winter for bottling, but I really have reinvigorated my brewing with my love of session ales. I've really enjoyed the process of taking some of my favorite recipes and tweaking them with mash temp/thickness and % of specialty malt to make a full tasting and well rounded session beer.

I'll have been brewing for 20 years come this February and I really need to come up with something nuts to brew to celebrate. Any ideas? Nothing's too weird. I'm toying with the idea of making a sake hybrid beer.
I was gifted a 25 kilo sack of Maris Otter earlier this year with the only stipulation that I share whatever I brew with it. I've been looking into anecdotes about White Labs WLP099 Super High Gravity yeast and thinking about a huge barleywine or old ale. Shooting for something north of 20%. Something like that seems like a pretty good anniversary beer. You can lay most of it down and drink it as the years go by.

I was gifted a 25 kilo sack of Maris Otter earlier this year with the only stipulation that I share whatever I brew with it. I've been looking into anecdotes about White Labs WLP099 Super High Gravity yeast and thinking about a huge barleywine or old ale. Shooting for something north of 20%. Something like that seems like a pretty good anniversary beer. You can lay most of it down and drink it as the years go by.
That could be really fun to make. Large yeast propagation, heavy use of the oxygen tank, nearly overflowing mash tun, and a ton of dry malt extract. I could cork and cage them too.

I've done an old ale based off of an old McMenamins (High Street in Eugene) recipe called Hobbits Habit about four times. It's a great beer to brew. I add Brett brux after a couple months on sacch. It gives it a leathery taste and prevents over oxidation (I hate most cellared beer because of the cardboard taste of oxidation (mostly because they're poorly cared for).

Stillwater did a saison brewed with sake yeast called Extra Dry. It's really good. Maybe something like that?

Stillwater did a saison brewed with sake yeast called Extra Dry. It's really good. Maybe something like that?
That's my wheelhouse. I'm really intimidated by the sake fermentation process due to the intensive nature it requires. It's another organism to try to work with though. I'll have to start by researching the Stillwater process. Being in the Rocky Mountains, I'll doubt I'll be fortunate enough to taste it.

Stillwater has a pretty trippy webpage. I never thought I would want to go to Baltimore, but I've been to stranger places in the search of great beer.

ShinAmano

Licking Hole is doing their third anniversary October 1st:

The Magnificent Pagan Beast
Bourbon Barrel Mega Beer
17.5% ABV, 110 IBU

More than 6 pounds of hops per barrel were used, thousands of pounds of grain, hundreds of pounds of Belgian candy syrup, its own yeast strain, 4 brews (when 2 normally works) and 3 years of anticipation make this truly a monster of a beer and a dream come true for us.

That's my wheelhouse. I'm really intimidated by the sake fermentation process due to the intensive nature it requires. It's another organism to try to work with though. I'll have to start by researching the Stillwater process. Being in the Rocky Mountains, I'll doubt I'll be fortunate enough to taste it.

Stillwater has a pretty trippy webpage. I never thought I would want to go to Baltimore, but I've been to stranger places in the search of great beer.

They distribute all over the place.

Lotto

Gonna be a ton of wet hop
sorry distantmantra, my local pub calls it wet hop!
beers on tap at my local pub this weekend starting this Friday. I went last year and it was magical. Gonna be repping 25+ fresh hopped beers all brewed locally. Oh yes.

Fresh Hop Watch 2016:
Crux - Cruxtennial Pale (Centennial)
Two Beers - Fresh Hop IPA (Centennial)
Fremont - Field to Ferment Centennial
Fremont - Field to Ferment Simcoe
Laurelwood - Fresh Hop Workhorse IPA (Amarillo)

Lots more on the way...

Mitch

Banned
Picked these up yesterday. Drank the Hopvine, which wasn't a bad Berliner. Not as sour as I'd hope, but the floral/fruity notes were on point.

Probably going to break into the 120 Minute on Friday. Knowing me, though, I'll drink it tonight. The On Fleek imperial stout was $2 or so and the folks at the bottle shop recommended it. I'm seeing great reviews/scores for it anyway, so I'm looking forward to trying it.

Is it just my imagination, or is 120 Minute easier to come by this year than past years? I seem to be able to grab it rather easily here in southern KY.

Is it just my imagination, or is 120 Minute easier to come by this year than past years? I seem to be able to grab it rather easily here in southern KY.

I don't think anyone cares about it anymore. Seems like the hype was biggest in 2011 after DFH's tv show talked about it. I see it turding up shelves all the time now.

I don't think anyone cares about it anymore. Seems like the hype was biggest in 2011 after DFH's tv show talked about it. I see it turding up shelves all the time now.

It lasts a couple of weeks here instead of just flying out in an instant. Same thing happened to Backwoods Bastard last year. The first day it went super fast, but they got more the next week and it just sat there for months.

I've probably shared it before here, but I think 120 is absolutely vile. Rubbing alcohol and apricots.

I'll just enjoy my 6% ABV Fremont Field to Ferment Simcoe fresh hop pale.

It lasts a couple of weeks here instead of just flying out in an instant. Same thing happened to Backwoods Bastard last year. The first day it went super fast, but they got more the next week and it just sat there for months.

Hype/fads only last so long. Too much new stuff for people to lose their minds over. Back in the day when options were few it was way different. Now...eh.

Top Bottom