• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

HiResDes

I'd really like to try Tree House (any of their IPAs, I don't care) so I can compare it to all the other juice IPAs I've had, but I don't feel like trading for it. Hopefully once they up production my wife will be able to track some down when she's in Boston for work.

Speaking of that, she used to be able to get me Trillium bottles, but once the brewery switched to cans they stopped retail distribution. Stupid fucking can hype.
I really the Maine Beer company IPAs, they don't seem to be as hyped as they once were since distribution seems wider. I'm just gonna snatch up those.

I really the Maine Beer company IPAs, they don't seem to be as hyped as they once were since distribution seems wider. I'm just gonna snatch up those.

I've had most of the Maine stuff except for Lunch. They're good (Another One was awesome) but I've got access to better stuff at home.

I'm quite happy with her bringing back Night Shift cans and Jacks Abby beers.

Jarnet87

I'd really like to try Tree House (any of their IPAs, I don't care) so I can compare it to all the other juice IPAs I've had, but I don't feel like trading for it. Hopefully once they up production my wife will be able to track some down when she's in Boston for work.

Speaking of that, she used to be able to get me Trillium bottles, but once the brewery switched to cans they stopped retail distribution. Stupid fucking can hype.

I have tried trading for some Treehouse, no luck yet but in time. Some new IPA trend will take over or the snobs will say they sold out and the beer isn't as good.

ShinAmano

Well for me one bottle split with my wife is basically an evening of drinking. I've paid $100+ for a bottle of wine or sake at dinner numerous times, $30 for amazing beer isn't that much to me.
I do the same. That said splitting a 375 will be tough. I'll probably end up trading a couple big bottles for these two.

Abominable (called b-bomb or a-bomb) and Kentucky Dark Star (KDS.). The normal ones are excellent and also barrel aged, whereas these extra special ancient releases are aged longer in different barrels.

http://www.fremontbrewing.com/our-beer/#barrel-aged

A-Bomb is the standard winter ale that comes in cans. No barrel aging and not even the same beer. I had the base version of B-Bomb at Heron Hunter's Club 2015, where the original Ancient One was released (B-Bomb in a 35 year old Heaven Hills barrel. Fremont did it before Goose Island). It's different and super sweet.

Ancient One was good, as was Smoking Jacket (HHC 2016 beer. B-Bomb in peated scotch barrels).

Fremont is also no longer allowed to call it Kentucky Dark Star. The bourbon industry down in Kentucky threw a fit so it's Boubron Barrel Aged Dark Star, or BBADS. Boo.

I wounder if Hardywood will get the same shit if they make their Kentucky Christmas Morning again this year.

Also I had no idea what a big deal Tree House was until a friend was there a month or so ago. It also amazes me that people still try to hold onto/get non fresh IPAs.

I put in a day at the local hop yard over the weekend. Planted a couple hundred new Cascades and helped bring in the last of the Crystal and CTZ. Crystal has this really wild melon/kiwi thing going on when it's fresh off the bine.

Went ahead and brewed up a batch of wet-hopped amber ale with them. We'll see how it turns out. I'm hoping for good things.

riotous

Banned
Not sure if it's bourbon or Kentucky. Someone took issue with KDS using the word Kentucky when it's not made there.

Real smart of them; encourages use of local distilleries if anything. Although will be a while before there are many 30 year old barrels around lol.

And yeah I've heard people use a-bomb to refer to b-bomb, mixed me up.

Real smart of them; encourages use of local distilleries if anything. Although will be a while before there are many 30 year old barrels around lol.

And yeah I've heard people use a-bomb to refer to b-bomb, mixed me up.

Fremont is still using Heaven Hills barrels from Kentucky, so nothing that drastic. The issue with "Kentucky" arose since the beer is made in WA.

ShinAmano

I wounder if Hardywood will get the same shit if they make their Kentucky Christmas Morning again this year.

Also I had no idea what a big deal Tree House was until a friend was there a month or so ago. It also amazes me that people still try to hold onto/get non fresh IPAs.
Hardywood will have it again this year. (Can't wait...love that beer.)

Hardywood will have it again this year. (Can't wait...love that beer.)

Good, I hoped that would be the case. It was one of my favorite things from last year so I will defiantly make the trip again. GBS itself is great and works as a really good base for other stuff.

ShinAmano

Good, I hoped that would be the case. It was one of my favorite things from last year so I will defiantly make the trip again. GBS itself is great and works as a really good base for other stuff.
Agree...looking forward to all of them. Also curious if they are planning any trickery variants :)

codhand

All of these worth way over $6 a piece.
FtOWzub.jpg

Z1gUkLS.gif

ShinAmano

Have they done Trickery variants before? I've only had the normal one once and it was like 2 years ago now.
Year one they did a hazelnuts version and a reservoir ba version (local craft Bourbon that is killer)...was by far my favorite. Both draft only.

Also riotous I wish you were a trader :)

ShinAmano

Tomorrow...Answer 2 year anniversary party. They have a ba stout collab with Jackie O's...also form and void dipa collab from aslin and triple crossing.

Both seem like they will be winners.

Year one they did a hazelnuts version and a reservoir ba version (local craft Bourbon that is killer)...was by far my favorite. Both draft only.

Also riotous I wish you were a trader :)

That explains why I didn't know about them. Up near DC so a bit far to just pop down to Richmond for draft only stuff. Well without notice. Will make sure to keep looking into their events to see if there is any others I'm into before the GBS stuff hits since that sounds like stuff I'd like. Honestly I would just like another bottle of the base Trickery again.

Also looking at that god damn picture again makes me fine with getting all the diabeetus it entails. It's crazy seeing the full line of Firestone stuff all together when I don't think I've ever even seen one on a shelve here and only got the few I've gotten from knowing people.
And that's to say nothing about the shelve below them.
Glad I got a friend that is really into Bruery stuff so I get a ton of it. The melange this year was really good and Rustico had it on tap for a while. May even still have it.

Firestone reserve stuff is pretty easy to find up here. But I'm sure you've got shelf turds that we'd probably excited about.

Yeah you've talked about that before and it got me jealous but you are probably right. Of course you do have some other good stuff around you but that is the case for everywhere as well. Here it is one of the things I can be laughed at for asking about if I go in even the same day that some places get it. Luckily I've tried them all now so it's not something I stress anymore. Got a couple Parabola and a Helldorado just waiting for me now as well so there's that.

By the by, has anyone tried this years Dark Lord yet?

riotous

Banned
Yeah get all the FIrestone's up here in plenty of quantity as far as I can tell; Bruery just get their limited widely distro'd selection.

There's actually a Firestone XIII and XIV hidden behind that XV there. So I have 13,14,15,16,17,18,19. Gonna wait for the XX to do some sort of flight night.

I really don't have that much of any given beer; behind those track 8's for instance are 6-7 varieties of Lost Abbey / Port Brewing BA's.. And the fremont selection is across 2013,2014 and 2015 vintages.

Would be hard for me to trade; part with my babies and only have 1 bottle left, can't take that!

Still have about 3 times that many beers to organize; I'll share pictures when I'm totally done with my new setup.

ShinAmano

Firestone drops in rva and is gone basically instantly.

That said need to get on drinuking those anniversary ones...they don't stand the test of time. 19 is crazy good though.

Yeah get all the FIrestone's up here in plenty of quantity as far as I can tell; Bruery just get their limited widely distro'd selection.

There's actually a Firestone XIII and XIV hidden behind that XV there. So I have 13,14,15,16,17,18,19. Gonna wait for the XX to do some sort of flight night.

I see you don't have a PNC. I know I've got one left, maybe two.

riotous

Banned
I see you don't have a PNC. I know I've got one left, maybe two.

Yeah I've never seen one on a shelf; that one I guess was sold out by the time I got the BA itch. They haven't made it for a few years right?

Have a few other tequilla aged dark beers though.. the Clown shoes mexican choco stout is great in the tequilla aged version.

HiResDes

I was really disappointed by Luchador En Fuego speaking of Clown Shoes, especially since I was so impressed by their other offerings

We get quite a few Firestones here in Corvallis, but they're often gone within a week or so.

I'm up to about 20 Firestone bottles dating back to 2014, when I started aging beers. Not as many as a lot of you, but it's a start!

Yeah I've never seen one on a shelf; that one I guess was sold out by the time I got the BA itch. They haven't made it for a few years right?

Have a few other tequilla aged dark beers though.. the Clown shoes mexican choco stout is great in the tequilla aged version.

They only made it once (August 2013) and Bottleworks was the only store in Seattle that had it. It was like $30 a bottle, limit 3 or something like that. I'd swap you one for the Ancient One bottles if you're interested. If not, no biggie.

riotous

Banned
They only made it once (August 2013) and Bottleworks was the only store in Seattle that had it. It was like $30 a bottle, limit 3 or something like that. I'd swap you one for the Ancient One bottles if you're interested. If not, no biggie.

Yeah I'll see how many I get; I think my friend I was gonna get one for is priced out. He thought they'd be a ~$20-25 bomber.

Speaking of BottleWorks; I grabbed their 2014,2015,2016 anno beers the other day. Seem to be shelf turds there but I thought I'd give them a shot.

Yeah I'll see how many I get; I think my friend I was gonna get one for is priced out. He thought they'd be a ~$20-25 bomber.

Speaking of BottleWorks; I grabbed their 2014,2015,2016 anno beers the other day. Seem to be shelf turds there but I thought I'd give them a shot.

I like all of those. 14 is a tequila barrel beer, too. I also really dig the 215 Gin barrel Baltic Porter.

Jarnet87

Last thing I picked up a was a 4 pack of Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break. They had Even More Jesus as well but I passed. We get very little of their stuff but this one shop gets it every now and then.

HiResDes

Last thing I picked up a was a 4 pack of Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break. They had Even More Jesus as well but I passed. We get very little of their stuff but this one shop gets it every now and then.
I prefer Even More Jesus, cuz that body is to die for on some real transsubstantiation shit.

Top Bottom