• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

riotous

Banned
Since riotous abandoned Untappd, figure I'd share:

IMG_2988.jpg

Cracked my 2013 Reuben's BA Imperial Stout last night. This was their first barrel aged beer, but it's still pretty good and held up well for three years.

Nice dude; have yet to try any Reuben BA's.

So, waiting for a certain post after I make this...

Had a Founder's Harvest Ale while prepping dinner tonight. Damn, that is a tasty fresh hop.

And then, while eating said dinner, I had a tasty Stone Enjoy By 10.31.16. And as tasty as it was, it was lacking the crisp freshness of the Harvest Ale.

Dat Fresh Hop. Doing two IPAs back to back like that illuminates it a bit.

EDIT: And heading back to NOLA in a couple of weeks. I look forward to going to the Avenue Pub and having more money to go nuts with their beer list.

So, waiting for a certain post after I make this...

Had a Founder's Harvest Ale while prepping dinner tonight. Damn, that is a tasty fresh hop.

And then, while eating said dinner, I had a tasty Stone Enjoy By 10.31.16. And as tasty as it was, it was lacking the crisp freshness of the Harvest Ale.

Dat Fresh Hop. Doing two IPAs back to back like that illuminates it a bit.

EDIT: And heading back to NOLA in a couple of weeks. I look forward to going to the Avenue Pub and having more money to go nuts with their beer list.

Yesssss, yessssss....

Let the fresh hop consume you.

Lotto

ekHCaWP.jpg

That is the best ipa I have ever had. Better than younger, better than bad boy.

Yep. I had it on tap at Monkish on the release day. Didn't want to bother with the lines. It's insane cause it's a triple IPA. The flavor is just unlike anything I've ever tried in a beer, very smoothie-like mouthfeel and just deliciously drinkable. Wish I could have some more. Incredible beer.

Trying some Trillium Sigtebrød my friend brought back during his trip to Maine. It's okay. Tastes like something I've already had before from Monkish. He got a bunch of other stuff too (Cutting Tiles, Sleeper Street, a few Hoof Hearted stuff) that he may or may not share with me. I just got some Heady Topper and Focal Banger from another friend. Hope to try them next week probably.

Mitch

Banned
Run, Brandy and Bourbon aged Ten Fidy tapping this Saturday. Starts at 9AM, but that's waaay too early for me. May go around 1ish and hope they still have some left.

Welp, I'm definitely going to a "Breakfast Stout" event on Sunday. I just can't pass these up.

DRAFT
AleSmith Brewing Company
• Hawaiian Speedway Stout
• Hammerhead Speedway Stout
• Vietnamese Speedway Stout
Epic Brewing Company
• Big Bad Baptist Batch #66
Evil Twin Brewing
• Mini Growler (Westbrook Brewing Company collaboration)
Great Lakes Brewing Company
• 2015 BA Blackout Stout
Jackie O's Pub & Brewery
• Bourbon Barrel Oil of Aphrodite
Mikkeller
• Beer Geek Breakfast
Omnipollo
• Selassie
Oskar Blues Brewery
• 2015 BA Ten Fidy
Wolf's Ridge Brewing
• Dire Wolf Canis Mexicanus Double Espresso
Weyerbacher Brewing
• Sunday Morning Stout
• Sunday Mole Stout
Willoughby Brewing Company
• Nutsmasher

BOTTLE
Jackie O's Pub & Brewery
• Champion Ground
• Oro Negro
Prairie Artisan Ales
• Apple Brandy Barrel Noire
Stone Brewing
• Xocoveza

Putzweg

thMG8FY.jpg

Drinking this tonight.

The aged Schneider Weisse is a huge disappointment. Just dont like the style. Overhyped. Real Ale Craft Beer loved it. Gave it a 10/10. Maybe good on a cold winter day near the fireplace.

EDIT: The Cassis lambic is vile. Hard to finish it even.

HiResDes

I'm so glad they ramped up production and made so much Xocoveza without a drop off in quality, really goes to show that scarcity doesn't always have to mean superiority.

riotous

Banned
Went to that new place here Teku Tavern here last night. Cool spot; noticed the main beer connoisseur from Beer Junction worked there. Hadn't seen him at BJ in a month and that explains why.

He's my second favorite beer store guy next to Berc from Beer Authority.

Teku is like a night club atmosphere but with 50 beer taps and a cask system. Definitely more young and single looking people there than other spots which is fun sometimes.

Went to that new place here Teku Tavern here last night. Cool spot; noticed the main beer connoisseur from Beer Junction worked there. Hadn't seen him at BJ in a month and that explains why.

He's my second favorite beer store guy next to Berc from Beer Authority.

Teku is like a night club atmosphere but with 50 beer taps and a cask system. Definitely more young and single looking people there than other spots which is fun sometimes.

I went to Teku on Tuesday night with some buddies right before closing. I know the owners and I hope they do well, but living in NE Seattle I don't really frequent the downtown core much due to parking. I bet they do well with everyone who lives and/or works down there.

The Skookum Double Citra Jack was killer.

riotous

Banned
I'll probably monitor it's tap list and head down sometimes; parking is easy and $5 in the evening there but I'd never go near the place if an event was going on or traffic was bad.

hermit7

Picked up a case of Born Yesterday that I found today.

Might be my favorite beer that I have had, but I am excited to crack open a few tonight and drink them up.

It's pretty scarce around here to be honest, so I am happy to have gotten so much of it.

Picked up a case of Born Yesterday that I found today.

Might be my favorite beer that I have had, but I am excited to crack open a few tonight and drink them up.

It's pretty scarce around here to be honest, so I am happy to have gotten so much of it.

I grabbed a six pack today at Whole Foods. If I lived somewhere where fresh hop beers weren't plentiful I'd probably get more. It's always pretty good.

I can't remember who here has been to New Orleans, but I know someone has. My parents are headed there this week for the Seahawks game and could use some beer recommendations: bars, bottle shops, etc. I know NO isnt huge on craft beer but there's a few good places I think.

I can't remember who here has been to New Orleans, but I know someone has. My parents are headed there this week for the Seahawks game and could use some beer recommendations: bars, bottle shops, etc. I know NO isnt huge on craft beer but there's a few good places I think.

Send them to one of The Bulldog's two locations. They both have great taplists and bottle selection.

Thanks man, ill throw it on the list I'm compiling for them. Not a bad taplist but pales in comparison to Avenue Pub.
Avenue Pub was godly. Insane tap list, with an equally insane cellar list. Top it off with a fantastic bourbon selection and other spirits.

Excited to go back there when in nola in a few weeks.

The other bar I liked was Richard Fisks Martini Bar. Really nice staff there and great martinis.

And also, for food it is all about Dat Dog.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
After not buying any cellarable beer for like a year and a half, I finally ran out of stuff I can pull out for a weekend or whatever and have to restock on random crap to impress other beer nerds. :(

After not buying any cellarable beer for like a year and a half, I finally ran out of stuff I can pull out for a weekend or whatever and have to restock on random crap to impress other beer nerds. :(

I agree about having some big cellarable beers to have around for an evening, but impressing other beer nerds is highly overrated. Sharing with my friends is far more important.

I agree about having some big cellarable beers to have around for an evening, but impressing other beer nerds is highly overrated. Sharing with my friends is far more important.
What if your friends are exclusively beer nerds? For real, though. I'm on the same page. I do like to have something nice to bring to a bottle share with some nerds when it pops up once in a while, but that's only like four or five times a year. The rest of the time, I like to drink what's fresh or what's local. Whenever we travel, my friends and I bring something back to share, but it's usually just whatever semi-common beers we find that we don't see back home.

Speaking of which, I just got back from a bit of a whirlwind trip. Went to a friend's wedding over the weekend in Raleigh. Drove down from central Illinois and stopped in Louisville and Asheville along the way. Just between the two of those towns, I wish I had another week to just hang out and visit breweries. Hell, Raleigh doesn't seem to slouch, either. Brought back a few cellar bottles to stash away, an armful of growlers to pour for friends this week, and a couple of assorted cases to open over the next couple of weeks.

Highlight of the trip so far as beer goes was probably the Wicked Weed Funkatorium. Makes me really want to open a sour brewery.

What if your friends are exclusively beer nerds? For real, though. I'm on the same page. I do like to have something nice to bring to a bottle share with some nerds when it pops up once in a while, but that's only like four or five times a year. The rest of the time, I like to drink what's fresh or what's local. Whenever we travel, my friends and I bring something back to share, but it's usually just whatever semi-common beers we find that we don't see back home.

The majority of what I buy is probably "impressive," and I do manage to get out of region stuff when I travel, my wife travels to Boston or when my parents do, but I'd much rather share that shit with my best friends over a bottle share with guys who trade that I kinda know.

My friends do the same when they or their spouses travel. One buddy has family in Vermont so that's nice when he goes back to see them.

HiResDes

I think my bank account and just Ohio availability has made me more a shelf turd seeker. I'm happy getting shit like regular expedition, double Bastard, dark app, etc to cellar nowadays.

riotous

Banned
I don't really care about rarity and don't travel enough so mostly just get what's available locally; although I do occasionally make an online order and/or Tavour to get out of market stuff.

That being said I have a rather massive cellar at this point; it's to share with friends and family who aren't really beer nerds. I haven't been to a bottle share, not even sure I'd have anything that impressive to bring.

HiResDes

I don't really care about rarity and don't travel enough so mostly just get what's available locally; although I do occasionally make an online order and/or Tavour to get out of market stuff.

That being said I have a rather massive cellar at this point; it's to share with friends and family who aren't really beer nerds. I haven't been to a bottle share, not even sure I'd have anything that impressive to bring.
Your cellar looks pretty damn impressive to me

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Picked up some Black Tuesday in their public sale and gonna grab it when I go up to get my case of Citra in a couple weeks though, so there's that.

I used to have a lot of other nice things, but I just ended up drinking most of them over the last couple of years of not really buying anything new.

Highlight of the trip so far as beer goes was probably the Wicked Weed Funkatorium. Makes me really want to open a sour brewery.

Wicked Weed is pretty terrific. Been wanting to visit the Funkatorium but am happy enough just having a friend who lives in that area bringing me the stuff every so often.

I haven't been to a bottle share, not even sure I'd have anything that impressive to bring.

Same. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out for not seeking that stuff out, but have been happy so far with just sharing with friends/family in various areas.

Angry Grimace

People were basically trading their first born for BT Reserve i wonder if there's much difference
I've never been super impressed by BT but other people seem impressed (by its ABV) so I picked up some.

Wicked Weed is pretty terrific. Been wanting to visit the Funkatorium but am happy enough just having a friend who lives in that area bringing me the stuff every so often.

Same. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out for not seeking that stuff out, but have been happy so far with just sharing with friends/family in various areas.

Beer isn't Pokémon (at least it shouldn't be), enjoy what you've got. :)

riotous

Banned
Seeing how people act at Fremont releases was sort of hilarious.. someone had a Duck Duck Gueuze and these guys heard about it and feverishly wandered around asking everyone if they knew where the bottle owner went.. eventually they found someone with like 3 sips left in the bottom of a dirty keg cup that probably had remnants and backwash of 10 different beers at the bottom and acted like they were suckling the teet of an angel as they each tried a tiny taste.

Seeing how people act at Fremont releases was sort of hilarious.. someone had a Duck Duck Gueuze and these guys heard about it and feverishly wandered around asking everyone if they knew where the bottle owner went.. eventually they found someone with like 3 sips left in the bottom of a dirty keg cup that probably had remnants and backwash of 10 different beers at the bottom and acted like they were suckling the teet of an angel as they each tried a tiny taste.

Gotta drink em all.

Angry Grimace

I mean I still have a bunch of DDG, but I never break it out for anything because it was 42 dollars a fucken bottle.

I mean I still have a bunch of DDG, but I never break it out for anything because it was 42 dollars a fucken bottle.

I'm always resistant to opening big format Cantillon bottles, but I have no problem cracking open $40+ Ale Apothecary 750s with family and friends.

I'll never understand big ass bottle shares with people you barely know or in a line waiting for a place to open so you can drink more. Great, I spent a ton of money on this beer that I'll get 2 ounces of so I can drink 2 ounces of your stupid rare beer that we're all losing our minds over. And then we're gonna go inside and drink more.

Was at a bar and there was a bottle share going on in the back. Told my friend to check into a Cable Car on Untappd from that location and see how long it takes for people to come out from the back. Two guys came walking out looking for the bottle not even two minutes later. Just sat there laughing.

Was at a bar and there was a bottle share going on in the back. Told my friend to check into a Cable Car on Untappd from that location and see how long it takes for people to come out from the back. Two guys came walking out looking for the bottle not even two minutes later. Just sat there laughing.

That is pretty funny.

I was at Toronado a couple weeks ago with a couple friends and the owner sharing some bottles (Side Project, Apple Brandy Marshall Zhukov, etc.). Probably shouldn't have included the location cause I saw people come into the place looking for us.

Lotto

I'll admit, my beer backlog at this point is bigger than my Steam backlog. It's worrying.

That is pretty funny.

I was at Toronado a couple weeks ago with a couple friends and the owner sharing some bottles (Side Project, Apple Brandy Marshall Zhukov, etc.). Probably shouldn't have included the location cause I saw people come into the place looking for us.

Why I can't be bothered with trying to hunt down rare stuff and just settle. People are either in the know about it or have some sort of etracking of it going on all the time and I just don't have the effort required for either. Effects my main hobby, retro gaming, even more.

Top Bottom