• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

HiResDes

Had an awful outing in Columbus today but the only consolation is that I was able to pick up a growler of regular Musk of the Minotaur.

Edit: I really don't like it much at all, but I bought a 64oz so I'm gonna drink it... What a fucking day.

Lotto

IMG_2807.jpg

My wife brought me some beers back from Boston. Looks like Trillium is starting retail distribution again.

Nice. Might be trying some Maine Beer stuff, possibly Trillium in the near future. Friend is heading up to Maine right now.

Drinking a Monster's Park BBA Stout with Cacao Nibs and Coconut. Been hearing it was infected and I don't know if it's because I heard that rumor that's making it taste sour to me or if it's actually infected, but I definitely feel like there's a bit or sourness to it. I've had it before and definitely remember it more fondly, stronger coconut for sure. Still, Happy BA day!

HiResDes

Couldn't find champion ground anywhere the last two days but picked up a couple of Weyerbacher Sunday Morning and Mole along with two sixers of Xocoveza couldn't contain myself seeing so many available at a fairly reasonable price... I'm so smitten with Stone releasing so much this year, it's as good as many of the adjunct whalez in which breweries try to charge 16 for a bomber. Like a love Bomb but when the choice is six bottles of Xocoveza versus two singles of Bomb, I'm gonna roll with Stone every time. I also can't imagine Mexican Cake being so much better to warrant the premium they charge.

Jarnet87

I haven't seen any of of the mole stout down here. Not sure if it sold out or we just haven't gotten it in yet. I cracked open one of my imperial biscotti breaks, nice stout but boozy. I imagine a year two of aging will smooth it out a ton. Next time I am near that shop I will grab Even More Jesus to try.

most recent purchases were:

Avery El Gose - nothing special, was lacking any real sour kick to it.

Prairie Weiss - yet to try

Bells Best Brown Ale - decent brown ale, some nice flavor to it but too thin.

Fathead Head Hunter - hard to beat this one if you are looking for a west coast style ipa.

A local brewery did some new cans a week ago but I just had to drop some $ on tires so had to pass.

HiResDes

Yo P if you can't find any Xocoveza id be more than willing to cop a six-pack or two and meet you halfway, you're not too far from Louisville right? That's only about an hour and a half from here.

HiResDes

This brewery in Ohio called fatheads won mid size brewery of the year at the great American beer festival only to have it revoked after they found it's in fact quite massive distribution wise

This brewery in Ohio called fatheads won mid size brewery of the year at the great American beer festival only to have it revoked after they found it's in fact quite massive distribution wise

Fatheads has an outpost/brewery in Portland, OR as well as their Midwest spots. The local brewer makes killer hoppy beers. The food is excessive and kinda ridiculous and gross, though.

Mitch

Banned
Girlfriend and I were watching the award ceremony live. Their awards were well deserved. Sucks to see that they weren't able to take home the best mid-sized brewery.

Having Briery's Quad tonight. Not a fan.
The bottle says it is bottle fermented with blackberries. That sounded pretty tasty, and I do love me some quads. But this thing is so tart and sour it is hurting my enjoyment of it. It is also missing the foamy body of most quads.

Get it if you want something sour tasting, but be mindful if you are wanting something closer to a Belgian quad. Definitely won't be getting this again. Time to trudge my way through the rest of the bottle.

riotous

Banned
Everything from Buery Terreux is on the very sour end of sours to me; they maybe should be more clear about it in their labeling but they are quite different from The Bruery's other offerings. Gotta be in the mood to enjoy them; had the Sour on the Rye the other night and did enjoy it, but I can see how you wouldn't taste the malty complexity of a quad through their usual sourness level.

Everything from Buery Terreux is on the very sour end of sours to me; they maybe should be more clear about it in their labeling but they are quite different from The Bruery's other offerings. Gotta be in the mood to enjoy them; had the Sour on the Rye the other night and did enjoy it, but I can see how you wouldn't taste the malty complexity of a quad through their usual sourness level.

Good to know. Melange by them was so damn good, but I was not ready for the sourness of this. Bleh. Just finishing it out of spite.

Mitch

Banned
I'd love to get my hands on BA Ten Fidy. I've only had regular TF once. Really liked it.

Bought A Tiny Beautiful Something and Peeper Ale from Maine Beer Co. Excited to try 'em out. Also have a bottle of Champion Ground to drink! This is after my girlfriend and I hit up a fantastic event called Bell's Ruins Beer Week at a local bar.

HiResDes

I'd love to get my hands on BA Ten Fidy. I've only had regular TF once. Really liked it.

Bought A Tiny Beautiful Something and Peeper Ale from Maine Beer Co. Excited to try 'em out. Also have a bottle of Champion Ground to drink! This is after my girlfriend and I hit up a fantastic event called Bell's Ruins Beer Week at a local bar.
Son of a gun I tried to track it down heard it's KBS level

Mitch

Banned
Son of a gun I tried to track it down heard it's KBS level
Damn. My girlfriend went to a hole in the wall random bottle shop off of 117th here in Cleveland. I stopped by there today and they had several bottles left, along with a good amount of Three Floyds bombers.

Grabbed packs of Founder's Harvest Ale, Backwood's Bastard, and Stone Enjoy By 10.31.16 Tangerine IPA today. I was already drowning in IPAs with Bell's Roundhouse and the last two bombers of the Stone Anniversary pack, but I couldn't pass up the Enjoy By or Harvest.

Currently enjoying the Harvest Ale. Damn, it is hitting the spot after an afternoon of cleaning and prepping dinner. Just gonna savor it as the lasagna bakes.

Jarnet87

Grabbed packs of Founder's Harvest Ale, Backwood's Bastard, and Stone Enjoy By 10.31.16 Tangerine IPA today. I was already drowning in IPAs with Bell's Roundhouse and the last two bombers of the Stone Anniversary pack, but I couldn't pass up the Enjoy By or Harvest.

Currently enjoying the Harvest Ale. Damn, it is hitting the spot after an afternoon of cleaning and prepping dinner. Just gonna savor it as the lasagna bakes.

I haven't had Backwoods Bastard in awhile. Will try and grab a 4 pack or two if I see it.

Did some grocery shopping today and saw KDS bottles for less than what Fremont is charging at the brewery. Hadn't grabbed any yet so I figured I'd get one.

It rang up as Interurban IPA. For $4.37 with tax.

I bought two, then let the people know something wasn't right with the SKU. Offered to pay full price but they let me slide. I got two bombers of this year's KDS release for less than $9. Daaaaamn.

FRESH HOP!!!

riotous

Banned
That 2016 KDS has really grown on me; had it on tap 4-5 times now and popped a bottle the other night.

Excited for the rest of the years releases.

tzE0WXW.jpg

Last weekend me and the wife, along with my brother and his wife, went out into Central Oregon to commune with nature (in the form of a rustic cabin on the banks of a river, not like camping or anything). We took a fair supply of beer with us, along with a few bottles of wine (not pictured: Alesmith Speedway Stout, which we didn't end up drinking, and a 6-pack of Ballast Point Victory at Sea, which was probably the star of the weekend). A few thoughts...

Trois Pistoles was much better than I was expecting (and that's from a fan of Fin du Monde). That's a seriously amazing beer.

The Plough Monday Imperial Breakfast Porter was reported by a lot of online reviews as being sickeningly sweet, but I found it pretty well balanced, if completely overmatched by the Victory at Sea. Not a ton of complexity, but pretty solid all around.

My wife, who swore she was going to be drinking wine all weekend, ended up drinking the Wee Heavy herself. I'd never tried it before, and after having a sip last weekend, I'm picking up another bottle immediately (and not telling her).

Fin du Monde and Chimay Blue were kind of disappointing. It's been a few years since I had them last, so maybe my palate has just changed, but I found them lacking something which made me love them before (maybe I'm just remembering wrong because they pack a wallop).

Ballast Point... I've tried a number of Sculpins and Dorados and found them to be OK, but nowhere near worth the premium charged for them locally (Portland, OR). Victory at Sea though... wow, that's a damn good beer. Rich and deep with an appropriate sweetness and a long finish, rich with vanilla and coffee and toasted malts. It's spectacular.

Had a 2015 and 2016 Backwoods Bastard tonight. Not a fan of it after a year. It tastes more bitter, and that sweetness of the fresh ones combined with the bourbon flavor is gone. I probably won't be saving one of the 2016s then.

Three Floyds does one, too.

Derp. BrooDoo. Had that one last year now that I looked it up. I guess I have had some more fresh hop that I know.

Mitch

Banned
We have a bottle of Broo Doo in the fridge if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to ask my girlfriend to share some with me once she opens it.

Last night I had Champion Ground. One helluva stout. HiResDes is pretty spot on with his "KBS level" remark.

Putzweg

Gotta give a shout out to my favorite youtube beer reviewer. Shady Shadows. He barely got more than 40 views on each video. He mostly do malt liquor reviews but his beer reviews are just as entertaining. Unlike other reviewers he has a less sentimental approach and he always chugs his beers at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkB0NVDiFsM

Distantmantra: Headed to Redmond, OR, this weekend. Other than driving down to Bend for Crux, Boneyard, Deschutes, etc., any recommendations of beer destinations in Redmond?

gwailo

Banned
Any Minneapolis area people here? I'm thinking about heading to Surly Darkness Day tomorrow, but wondering how much of a clusterfuck it would be. The fact that they had to put "rules" on their website about stuff like people putting out tents has me worried. I like Darkness but I'm not gonna waste a whole day waiting for the privilege of buying a couple of bottles of it.

Distantmantra: Headed to Redmond, OR, this weekend. Other than driving down to Bend for Crux, Boneyard, Deschutes, etc., any recommendations of beer destinations in Redmond?

Cascade Lakes, Juniper Brewing and Wild Ride are in Redmond. I've never actually stopped in Redmond.

Make sure you hit Sunriver Brewing, Platypus Pub and Broken Top Bottle Shop in Bend.

And also, Boneyard is just for small samples and growler fills.

HiResDes

Gotta give a shout out to my favorite youtube beer reviewer. Shady Shadows. He barely got more than 40 views on each video. He mostly do malt liquor reviews but his beer reviews are just as entertaining. Unlike other reviewers he has a less sentimental approach and he always chugs his beers at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkB0NVDiFsM

He needs to review Utopia or Tactial Nuclear Penguin then, just so I can see him try and down it.

Since riotous abandoned Untappd, figure I'd share:

IMG_2988.jpg

Cracked my 2013 Reuben's BA Imperial Stout last night. This was their first barrel aged beer, but it's still pretty good and held up well for three years.

Top Bottom