• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BenQ announces 24" 1080p 240hz gaming display

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10822/benq-announces-zowie-xl2540-24-inch-240-hz-display-for-esports
benq_zowie_xl2540_678_678x452.jpg
benq_zowie_xl2540_1.jpg

Z0mtf0i.png

BenQ this week introduced its new display aimed specifically at professional gamers. The new monitor belongs to the ZOWIE family of BenQ’s products designed for e-Sports and features Full-HD (1920x1080) resolution as well as a refresh rate as high as 240 Hz. In addition to support for ultra-high refresh rates, the display also has other features developed specifically for gamers.

The BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 monitor has a 24.5” TN panel with a typical resolution for this size (1920×1080), support for 16.7 million (6-bit + FRC) colors as well as a typical contrast ratio for mainstream screens (1000:1). The monitor stands out when it comes to its brightness - 400 cd/m2 (400 nits) is a bit higher compared to what we usually see on TN-based devices and a refresh rate of 240 Hz to ensure as fast gameplay as possible. It is noteworthy that despite positioning, the ZOWIE ZL2540 does not support any dynamic refresh rate technology (either G-Sync, FreeSync or Adaptive-Sync).

In addition to ultra-high refresh rates as well as improved brightness, the ZOWIE XL2540 supports several features specifically for e-Sports professionals: the Black eQualizer that increases brightness of dark areas without oversaturating the bright areas, an option to quickly increase color vibrancies, a special external controller to rapidly activate different settings and profiles as well as a light-shielding hood (which BenQ calls a way to help gamers to focus on their games).

no pricing announced yet but i imagine this thing will be aimed at hitting as many e-sports enthusiasts on a budget as possible? 240hz TN screen with no special -sync abilities.

would be a great way to help bring 240hz closer into the mainstream

Horse blinders on a monitor. We're livestock now.
It's usually used with professional monitors (although not like that), but this time it's to hide the fact that this thing got terrible viewing angles, like it's 2002 again. 160° H/V, holy hell.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Finally a new monitor without any of that 'g/free snyc' nonsense...1ms, TN, 1080p all I need.

WadeitOut

I wonder how much of a difference it would be going from my 144hz to that. Really wanna try it!

Considering the difference between 100-144hz is only slightly noticeable, I'm going to guess that you won't notice much. If you are PC gaming there are far better upgrades to spend money on.

I mean for actual gameplay I don't really get it. I have a 144hz 27" IPS screen and it's great. But the diminishing returns at 100+hz are pretty marked. The main benefit is for things like cursor movements and the like. Would probably be great for a graphic design computer where precision in drawing is paramount, but this being a TN panel, smaller color gamut and 8bit panel (likely) made specifically for gaming makes that incompatible.

No Gsync ?

The 1080p part is fully understandable (just imagine the strain to maintain 240fps LOL), but i believe that Gsync isn't capable of working at 240hz, i hope im wrong.

It all comes to the price. If the price is right, this monitor is a monster.

Nekrono

Definitely looking forward to impressions on this.

To the people questioning or claiming it won't sell well... This is aimed at pro gamers, people that don't run games at ultra or want a Titan XP, etc.

Pro gamers run everything at lowest to get as much frames as possible, frames as 240 are achievable with cards like a 970 on games like CSGO or even Overwatch, etc.

Higher unlocked framerate reduce input lag significantly which is why the pro's do it, the real question is if being able to visually see that framerate makes a significant difference.

CHC

Most likely there isn't a display controller that can do Free/G-sync and 240Hz

Which makes this an even weirder product! But to each his own, if this is someone's dream monitor, that's totally their prerogative.

Swarna

SICKENING PISSENING SITH LORD.

This will be GODLIKE for Overwatch for me. This is a pretty big deal if you're into competitive FPS period.

Damn I didn't think I'd be getting a new monitor so soon. Glad I specifically bought a 1080p 24" g-sync so that they'll go together well. 27" 1440p would have been an awkward set-up.

With a refresh rate like that, would you even need variable refresh rates? Would anybody see the tiny tear?

Tearing is hard to notice even on 144hz. This is why the lack of adaptive sync is a complete non-issue. I've always said adaptive sync was a stop-gap technology in the place of 200+hz refresh rates.

Animator

SICKENING PISSENING SITH LORD.

This will be GODLIKE for Overwatch for me. This is a pretty big deal if you're into competitive FPS period.

Damn I didn't think I'd be getting a new monitor so soon. Glad I specifically bought a 1080p 24" g-sync so that they'll go together well. 27" 1440p would have been an awkward set-up.

I doubt you will notice any difference whatsoever from 120 hz. I have a 27" 165 hz Asus monitor with gsync and there is absolutely no noticeable difference between 120 hz and 165 hz.

Also lol @ 1080p.

Skux

There is no point in this existing apart from marketing bigger numbers. And it doesn't have have gsync lol.

marrec

Banned
Ya don't need G-Sync at 240hz :lol

I'd absolutely get this for Overwatch and Dota 2... though I don't even think a Titan can get Dota 2 to 240hz stupid unoptimized trash!

Also, I bet I could tell the difference between 120 and 240.

Savitar

Look at those flaps to make it go faster!

It makes it look so much sharper, just like wind flaps on a nuclear power plant.

If only they added a racing stripe too...

jrcbandit

1080p, 24 inch, horrible viewing angles TN display LOL. 27 inch 1440p+ IPS or VA or bust... 100 Hz is more than enough. Going above is barely noticeable.

Seriously those side flaps are dumb as heck.

Not that I'm the intended market for something like this, but still.

What if you wanted to use a second monitor? Wouldn't the flaps get in the way?

1080p, 24 inch, horrible viewing angles TN display LOL. 27 inch 1440p+ IPS or VA or bust... 100 Hz is more than enough. Going above is barely noticeable.

IPS = worse response time though.

shira

Seems pointless. I can't imagine anyone would every need refresh rates that high.

It says it's for pro esports. If you are playing video games for millions of dollars, each frame is important.

I don't see much of a use for the home player.

Afro

I own a 144hz G-sync and I usually cap games at 100fps since anything above that is pretty much imperceptible to me. 144 is maybe a tad smoother feeling, but not worth the higher temps/workload. 100fps is my sweet spot.

I could stay at 1080p + 4x MSAA + 100hz for a long, long time.

Swarna

I doubt you will notice any difference whatsoever from 120 hz. I have a 27" 165 hz Asus monitor with gsync and there is absolutely no noticeable difference between 120 hz and 165 hz.

Also lol @ 1080p.

Forget 165, 120hz vs 144hz is huge in terms of competitive FPS. For single-player games and most other genres, I agree the difference is negligible. If you don't notice, then you're not playing the games for it to be a big deal. And this isn't 165 vs 120. It's TWO HUNDRED and fucking FORTY. You're literally seeing 1.5x the frames.

There is no point in this existing apart from marketing bigger numbers. And it doesn't have have gsync lol.
G-sync is for eliminating tearing. The higher the refresh rate, the shorter amount of time each individual tear will be present on your screen. Even at 144hz, it's barely noticeable as is without g-sync. G-sync is basically superfluous when we're talking about 240hz.

And the stupid flaps look removable. Not a big deal.

Gluka

Then on top of that BenQ monitors use over-aggressive AMA, which causes absolutely terrible inverse ghosting. Everything looks like it has a sharpness filter over it when you pan the camera, just so marketing can brag about some imperceptible reduction in input lag.

Mechazawa

G-sync is for eliminating tearing. The higher the refresh rate, the shorter amount of time each individual tear will be present on your screen. Even at 144hz, it's barely noticeable as is without g-sync. G-sync is basically superfluous when we're talking about 240hz

Having a high refresh rate monitor doesn't mean you're capable of playing games exclusively at that refresh rate.

Redmoon

Like the third or fourth company thats using this 1080p 240hz panel now. If i'm not mistaken they all come from the same supplier so any differences would be vedor specific.

Too bad the panel isnt 1440p. Probably going to feel great for games like OW and CSGO where you can get that high of a framerate on moderate specs.

Hari Seldon

I want a 24" display with a much higher pixel density. I got no room on my desk for one of these massive monitors but I want more than 1080p.

Swarna

Having a high refresh rate monitor doesn't mean you're capable of playing games exclusively at that refresh rate.

Most modern (even old) games support arbitrary refresh rate support (as long as it's in the OS, too).

It doesn't matter how many frames you're pulling in the game as long as you're actually running the high refresh. With v-sync off, 60 FPS on 240hz will incur less tearing than 60 FPS on 165hz and so on. Tearing is atrocious on 60hz which is why consoles even bother with v-sync.

As for seeing the actual frames, games like CS GO, OW, BF1 are where this is targeted at. People are running these games at well over 200 FPS.

Top Bottom