• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BenQ announces 32" 4k 144hz 1152 zone mini LED monitor with DP 2.1

YCoCg

144Hz? That's for babies!
Untitled-1-copy-7.jpg

240Hz or above for non-OLED

Last edited:

Sorcerer

How are those Tivoli Speakers on Ben Q monitors? I am curious about there monitors and I always wonder if I could do away with a soundbar. I don't expect miracles but are they good enough?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
How are those Tivoli Speakers on Ben Q monitors? I am curious about there monitors and I always wonder if I could do away with a soundbar. I don't expect miracles but are they good enough?
Having never heard the BenQ speakers I can't comment but the speakers on the new LG 32" 4k 240hz OLED are good enough

They are quite clear but lack bass which is to be expected in monitor speakers.

Sorcerer

Having never heard the BenQ speakers I can't comment but the speakers on the new LG 32" 4k 240hz OLED are good enough

They are quite clear but lack bass which is to be expected in monitor speakers.
That's sounds alright, (to me) I always prefer clarity to bass anyways. (Small room, too much bass can be overpowering). Plus I like to listen to Podcasts while gaming. (Two birds one stone). Bass doesn't matter much there.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
1152 zones sounds decent enough for 32"
Depends of course on the content. A starry sky f.ex. would quickly buckle the dimming zones. 8 million pixels vs 1152 zones is not exactly a fair match...

Anyway, what's the difference between this BenQ and the ASUS PG32UQX. The price? And DP 2.1 I guess..

Last edited:

Bry0

Interesting, specs are suspiciously similar to the innocn m32v that I have. At off angles there can be some significant blooming but overall doesn’t bother me much. I’m very happy with it, and I bought it to replace a lg cx 48 that I moved to the living room. In Diablo 4 the desert areas are eye searing with HDR brightness.

Depends of course on the content. A starry sky f.ex. would quickly buckle the dimming zones. 8 million pixels vs 1152 zones is not exactly a fair match...

Anyway, what's the difference between this BenQ and the ASUS PG32UQX. The price? And DP 2.1 I guess..
Real Gsync module based VRR vs shitty Freesync software implementation. Unless I'm missing something and this actually does have the module which I doubt. To me it's not worth getting another monitor without the module. It makes that big of a difference.

Tomi

1152 zones is very good, wont be much blooming
This display is probably very close to oled, but brightness is much much better

Hudo

They are actually pretty solid, imho (for what they are). Easily can hold their own against cheap soundbars.

And build quality of the displays are solid as well. BenQ is not bad at all, imho. They usually use LG panels (not sure who the supplier for this monitor's panel is, tho)

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
1152 zones is very good, wont be much blooming
This display is probably very close to oled, but brightness is much much better

Is 1,152 zones really that close to 8.5 million zones?

Couldn't pay a premium to forgo the option of 240-480hz either.

Does it have USB-C display input? That's a nice feature to have too.

Shame about the IPS, sounds like VA would have been a better choice for colors/viewing angles?

Last edited:

rm082e

Is it just me that thinks a 32 inch monitor is a touch too big?

I've heard that a few times, but I can't relate. 1800R 32" at 18" is gaming nirvana for me personally. The only thing that can be improved is taking it up to 38" ultrawide and OLED.

I imagine a lot of that "feel" depends on your eyesight, which is highly individualized.

Minsc

Gold Member
Not, but enough to hide blooming around bright objects
Saw it in person, and trust me brightness pop is better than 8,5 million zones

Yeah, I believe you about the brightness, says 1000 nit vs the 32" OLEDs that are gonna be 400-500 nit.

But shame also to see no Dolby Vision, so you can't get full use out of it as a media screen. Looks like it does support USB-C video in though, which is nice.

So
-Dolby Vision
-IPS
-Only 144hz (vs 240+)
+/- mini LED is a temporary tech, will eventually be obsolete by whatever everyone is clamoring about replacing it next, I forget.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
nah ~1000 zones will suck for dark scenes.

thats about 34x34.
open a spreadsheet and set it to 34x34 and thats about how big your big ass your zones will be.
What will likely suck more is using an IPS panel as the Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 does fairly well in dark scenes with its 1196 zones in a 32" panel

Bry0

nah ~1000 zones will suck for dark scenes.

thats about 34x34.
open a spreadsheet and set it to 34x34 and thats about how big your big ass your zones will be.
You’ll notice it on cursors or around windows on dark mode, but in games or most content where it’s not specifically a worst case scenario it’s not bad, certainly beats typical backlit IPS glow. My current monitor is also IPS with the same number of zones. Firmly acceptable but not as good as the MacBook pros.

Ashamam

Firmly acceptable but not as good as the MacBook pros.
A few thoughts as a Mac user.

Swings and roundabouts, MBP has a fantastic display, I mean the display has 10k zones... But they clearly paid a huge price in responsiveness. Also pairing a 4K display with MacOS isn't necessarily great, at least at 27" where you will probably want display scaling (in which case MacOS basically treats it as a 5K display and then scales down from that I believe). 32" though is a sweet spot for native 4K scaling and can be run without having to switch resolutions every time you fire up a game.

The way I see it this is one of the few monitors that pairs well with a MBP, in that it should sit beside a MBP display without looking washed out and also provide a good solution for the inner mac gamer who even with GPTK etc still will likely be better served with a PS5 or Series X (or both in my case) companion gaming machine. Also aesthetically I think it will sit well with a Mac. It just looks like a high end product, not the usual garish 'gamer' monitor design.

The only issue, looks like its RRP $2.2K here in Australia for the 32" version.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
$1,200!? Makes no sense in the current market.
100% agree especially with its lackluster performance and feature set

I was looking forward to testing this monitor but I see from that video its not even as good as my Samsung Odessey 32" 4k monitor thats literally half the price

144Hz is way too low come on now

edit: damn the color error is ridiculous. Edit 2: can be fixed ok.

Last edited:
Top Bottom