• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

In the lost chapter, that was taken down for revealing too much plot,
The "god/idea of evil" told Griffith to do whatever he wanted from this point on(his reincarnation). He is acting on his own as far as we've been shown. There might be a development were the God Hand want another eclipse/fake eclipse and Griffith fights the will of his "peers".

And the boat saga, for all the boredom it's caused to people apparently, could be setting more things up. They introduced Merrows(a.k.a. Mermaids) as a force for good in the new astral world. Maybe more of these "good" beings will be showing up.

This Manga is oddly fascinating despite basic archetypes and piss poor release schedule. I recently became a fan. I was not there to suffer through that 50+week abandonment of Berserk that had nothing released.

Helmholtz

As someone who recently marathoned all of the manga... I feel for you guys. These infrequent releases (well, I guess more frequent as of late but still) where you only get around 10 pages at a time are pretty brutal.
That aside, I enjoyed the latest one. Glad to see Rickert standing up for himself and his fallen comrades. I hope we can get back to the Guts storyline now and hopefully elf island.
Also... this stuff mentioned in the thread about Guts/Casca's demon child. Am I the only one who never realized that it was their child? Is it explicitly stated in the story, or is this something fans have pieced together?

As someone who recently marathoned all of the manga... I feel for you guys. These infrequent releases (well, I guess more frequent as of late but still) where you only get around 10 pages at a time are pretty brutal.
That aside, I enjoyed the latest one. Glad to see Rickert standing up for himself and his fallen comrades. I hope we can get back to the Guts storyline now and hopefully elf island.
Also... this stuff mentioned in the thread about Guts/Casca's demon child. Am I the only one who never realized that it was their child? Is it explicitly stated in the story, or is this something fans have pieced together?
If you mean the fucked fetus thing than yeah that was pretty obviously their kid

If you mean the long haired kid then it was implied

Helmholtz

If you mean the fucked fetus thing than yeah that was pretty obviously their kid

If you mean the long haired kid then it was implied
Shit... I must have completely forgotten the fetus thing being shown as their child. Gonna have to go back and check out the earlier volumes.
And yeah I never really connected the dots for the long haired kid.
Maybe I'm just not very clever :(
Edit: Okay yeah that's pretty explicit haha

Nibel

Some great posts on the last pages. :)

Glad to see this thread alive again, and yeah: that slap was fantastic. Not only in a symbolic sense but also in the way Miura created the scene on two pages with no background.

cyborg009

Banned
This is amazing

tumblr_ncxt24kocs1qesf7io1_1280.jpg

Ambitious

Speaking of figures, I'd love to have a set of God Hand figures:

d0249732_23431458.jpg

Didn't they announce new ones a few months ago? Is that Femto figure part of the new set?

Ambitious

One thing I have always been wondering.. how would Void look without his cloak? I mean, jesus, look at his arms:

voiddljox.png

void2mwpmu.png

They're longer than his actual body!

LaneDS

There was two amazing Berserk Figures at NYCC. I can only imagine how expensive they will be.

10698703_881682988510927_4571472006556406315_n.jpg
10369865_881683058510920_410214902250479652_n.jpg

If you want to get really sad, look up the price for this:

SUDxg3e.jpg

20th Anniversary Art of War Berserk statue.

There are only ten of them made. It's about $2,000 in the aftermarket and was 90,000 yen (or $835-ish) initially.

Uthred

Have to say I'm quite suspect on the quality of the Art of War stuff "in the flesh" as it were, picked up a Black Swordsman "Bloody version" statue a few years ago. Looked great in the stock picture and then when it arrived the "blood" effect looked a) nothing like the picture and b) looked shite, really sloppyily applied, dried with drips in it, etc. Really offputting.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Have to say I'm quite suspect on the quality of the Art of War stuff "in the flesh" as it were, picked up a Black Swordsman "Bloody version" statue a few years ago. Looked great in the stock picture and then when it arrived the "blood" effect looked a) nothing like the picture and b) looked shite, really sloppyily applied, dried with drips in it, etc. Really offputting.

Maybe you got a cheap knockoff?

I got this statue:

20140527_3b1a60.jpg

And the detail and colours on the model are better in real life than the picture. It's great.

Uthred

Maybe you got a cheap knockoff?

I got this statue:

20140527_3b1a60.jpg

And the detail and colours on the model are better in real life than the picture. It's great.

Perhaps but I think its unlikely. Bought from a reputable import site that I bought plenty of stuff from before. Box and such all look legitimate based on what pictures I could find online. Really should have just returned it at the time but didnt want to eat the international shipping fee. I must dig it out of storage, never took it out of the box, maybe the packaging made it look worse (he lies to himself ;) )

There was two amazing Berserk Figures at NYCC. I can only imagine how expensive they will be.

Yeah, they're not going to be cheap. They're made of polystone, which is expensive and fragile. Plus they'll only be available via import = good luck. I think price-wise, you're looking at $700+ per statue, as the Attack on Titan Colossal Titan statue from the same product line was priced in that area.

LaneDS

Haven't seen the bloodied up ones in person, but I got the Guts Lost Children Art of War statue many years ago (as a surprise!) and it looks just as good as the photos online suggest. I'd pay a few hundred for the one I posted above but $800-$2,000 is just a different level of insane.

Uthred

Dug him out, still looks crap, the blood effect is this weird purple as opposed to the red you see in the promo shots, seems like its just how it came out. Heres the promo shot:

and here's what people got (these are taken from myfigurecollection.net but mines the same, paint sloppily applied and a weird purple cast to it

and another guys

LaneDS

Hmm, that is unfortunate. I agree, the bloody variants unfortunately do not look as good. Aside from the blood though, I think those things are pretty amazing. Sorry about yours though.

Is Berserk available digitally in any capacity? Legally I mean. I want to get into the series again but I find it hard to believe the only way to do so is with the Dark Horse tankobon. They're almost prohibitively expensive if you want to start from the beginning...

I finally got around to watching the new movies. And I freaked out when they used most of the same voice-actors in the English dub! (or at least, it sounded like it). I first watched berserk with English voice acting so I just will always prefer it. Definitely an improvement over the TV show, with some of the cornier stuff downplayed and some of the wackier characters like Corkus toned down a lot.

I shunned it because I heard it was computer animated, but once you get into it, it doesn't really bother you. It looks great. Seems like they really emphasized things that set up the story that follows (and precedes) in the manga. When I saw Farnese in the OP (and later at the 'let's all suck Griffith's dick' party), it gave me hope that they have aspirations of advancing the story. My favorite arc was the one with the sadistic religious leaders and hedonistic cult. Probably the darkest part of the series. In fact, I'd argue that it is easily the darkest arc.

Helmholtz

My favorite arc was the one with the sadistic religious leaders and hedonistic cult. Probably the darkest part of the series. In fact, I'd argue that it is easily the darkest arc.
Yeah, that was a killer arc. It was unrelentingly dark for long stretches. Felt like something really unique. Kind of reminded me of Preacher a bit actually, only less dark comedy.
I have to admit I was a bit disappointed at the seemingly lighter tone the series took in subsequent chapters, what with the new party members. I really dug the whole Guts going up against super evil shit all the time thing. I'm sure they'll get back to that vibe eventually, if the manga makes it that far.

Yeah, that was a killer arc. It was unrelentingly dark for long stretches. Felt like something really unique. Kind of reminded me of Preacher a bit actually, only less dark comedy.
I have to admit I was a bit disappointed at the seemingly lighter tone the series took in subsequent chapters, what with the new party members. I really dug the whole Guts going up against super evil shit all the time thing. I'm sure they'll get back to that vibe eventually, if the manga makes it that far.

Berserk definitely fell into a more typical fantasy genre. Not to say it's a typical fantasy comic, but rather that more of the tropes associated with that genre became a bit more apparent in my opinion. The series has changed a lot. The first few volumes had sort of a 'monster of the week' vibe. Then the Golden Arc flashback happened, and it became more of an epic. I haven't followed the manga since the they got attacked by the cat monsters at the dinner party while trying to get a boat. If I could figure out what chapter that was, I'd totally pick it up where I left off. That had to be, what, 7 years ago? maybe longer now that I think about it.

Kinyou

Man, I wonder if this manga will ever finish. It's frustrating considering how attached I got to the characters, but it's not like I can be mad at the guy who created them in the first place.

Man, I wonder if this manga will ever finish. It's frustrating considering how attached I got to the characters, but it's not like I can be mad at the guy who created them in the first place.

Why? Dude probably has a script of what he wants to happen. Could just take on a writer/supervisor role and hire an/some artist(s). Wouldn't be the best of scenarios, but would be better than the glacial pace we have.

Veelk

Banned
I don't know how I'd feel about that. I'd have to be someone who has both his meticulous attention to detail. And I don't just mean the monster designs and stuff, but like the facial expressions and tiny details like Gut's lost arm moving normally while the Berserk armor is on. Berserk is one of the most 'well acted' manga's I've ever seen and it's part of what sells the story as much as it does.

I'm obviously sad by Muira's glacial pace, but I do think he's one of a kind. In the event of his death, I'd much rather instead just get his notes or something, and imagine the ending in my head than someone who can just give us a second rate version.

Eh, Hiroaki Samura aint doing anything good nowadays. Gods know the man can do detailed work and convey speed with his drawings.

A man can dream.

Kuroyume

Banned
I finally got around to watching the new movies. And I freaked out when they used most of the same voice-actors in the English dub! (or at least, it sounded like it). I first watched berserk with English voice acting so I just will always prefer it. Definitely an improvement over the TV show, with some of the cornier stuff downplayed and some of the wackier characters like Corkus toned down a lot.

I shunned it because I heard it was computer animated, but once you get into it, it doesn't really bother you. It looks great. Seems like they really emphasized things that set up the story that follows (and precedes) in the manga. When I saw Farnese in the OP (and later at the 'let's all suck Griffith's dick' party), it gave me hope that they have aspirations of advancing the story. My favorite arc was the one with the sadistic religious leaders and hedonistic cult. Probably the darkest part of the series. In fact, I'd argue that it is easily the darkest arc.

The movies looked great. I dislike computer animation too, but the movies did it in such a way that it was really good.

Anyway, some cool stuff:

tumblr_neqzieac1z1tjm7rdo1_400.gif

tumblr_nepema2dmK1tjm7rdo1_1280.png

tumblr_neup3btpux1tjm7rdo1_400.png

tumblr_neswp7J5Mk1tjm7rdo1_400.gif

http://gameboydemakes.tumblr.com/

Kinyou

Why? Dude probably has a script of what he wants to happen. Could just take on a writer/supervisor role and hire an/some artist(s). Wouldn't be the best of scenarios, but would be better than the glacial pace we have.
Well, I don't want to come off as the kind of fan who yells at the artist to hurry up (while in fact I would really like to yell at him to hurry the hell up). Not like he owes us. If Miura is happy with the slow pace I guess I just have to grit my teeth

Mirua's only 48 years old. We have at least 20 more years of him jerking us around.
True, saying that it will never be finished was probably unfair. But when I think that it might still not be done when I hit 35 in about 10 years it makes me wonder if I should even keep reading right now.

Veelk

Banned
Well, I don't want to come off as the kind of entitled fan who yells at the artist to hurry up (while in fact would really like to yell at him to hurry the hell up). If Miura is happy with the slow pace I guess I just have to grit my teeth

True, saying that it will never be finished was probably unfair. But when I think that it might still not be done when I hit 35 in about 10 years it makes me wonder if I should even keep reading right now.

In fairness, he's probably not 'happy' with it, but the fact is the man is clearly working his ass off. The amount of detail that goes into each page is insane and how he is still sticking to the story he had planned for so long is something I really admire about the guy. I can't even imagine the amount of work that goes into most manga, let alone one of the most detailed in the industry. Of course, I'd love to have the entirety of the story before me right here and now. But that's not practical for anyone.

As Neil Gaiman would say, Miura is not our bitch.

The only thing I would ask from Miura is to have the whole thing planned out and written down somewhere so his masterpiece can be finished if (God forbid) something happens to his health.

Other than that contingency, he should take his time and tell all the whiners to suck it!

Veelk

Banned
You do know that rant relates to writers being hostilized for pursuing other interests, yes?

Is that out of context in this discussion? I realize Kinyou never said so in his post there, but I seem to remember people talking about how Miura is wasting his time playing idolmaster. I suppose I don't remember personally seeing people complaining about him taking time to write Gigawhateverthefuck, but law of averages says some people did.

Besides, disregarding the rest of that, the point Gaiman is making is that the writer's obligation to their reader is basically nonexistant. If we read the first book of the series, the writer does not owe you more than that. If Miura gave up writing Berserk today just because he didn't feel like writing it anymore and we never got another chapter, it would be highly disappointing, but completely within his rights to do so. That is the ultimate point of Gaiman's rant, that readers are not entitled to anything from the writer, anything at all.

Quite true. Doesn't mean that readers can't bitch about it or criticize the writer, tho. End of the day, everybody's an autonomous agent.
Which, evidently, makes the whole discussion kinda meaningless.

Also gigantomakhia was pretty good., even with the creepy " drink my pee plz" stuff.

Veelk

Banned
Quite true. Doesn't mean that readers can't bitch about it or criticize the writer, tho.
Which, evidently, makes the whole discussion kinda meaningless.

Also gigantomakhia was pretty good., even with the creepy " drink my pee plz" stuff.

Of course. Criticism should depend on why he'd give up on it though, not whether he would at all. Like, if he fell out of love with Berserk, then, okay, I get that. If it's "Okay, you want the next chapter? FUCK YOU! I'm quitting just so you little shits that keep pestering me won't get what you want!" then that's just a severe lack of class. I don't think that makes it pointless, it's a matter of reacting the right way that takes both your feelings into account and the feelings of the author, treating both subjects as human beings.

Personally, the author I feel is worth more criticism is Togashi of Hunter x Hunter fame. I love his story and he's insanely talented, but it's quite clear he's phoning it in whenever he needs a cash boost. Before, he used to just scribble some panels together and call it done. He doesn't do that anymore (though I still think his art is pretty unpolished), but he also specifically paces his stories so that his haitus' end on a cliff hangers. I've taken a break from the latest chapters, but at one point, he took a haitus just as he introduced a new major arc with serious shit going down, ensuring he has an eager fanbase whenever he decides he wants to come back. That comes off as extremely manipulative to me and worthy of criticism. Miura's pace is slow as molasses but I just never felt that he ever gave any chapter less than 100% his all in regards to simply telling a good story.

And yes, I quite enjoyed gigareallylongname too. Very interesting world and I loved what Attack on Titan would have looked like with Miura helming the art direction. I enjoyed the writing as well. It could have very easily been a 'awesome guy fucks up bad guys' but he went out of his way to make those strange insect people actual characters.

I bumping this to let fellow Berserk fans and figure collectors know that HLJ is having a holiday sale and Figma Casca is part of these deals and is going for only 2.800 yen until supplies last or until December 25th, whatever comes first.

http://www.hlj.com/product/GSC44364

I snagged one for myself since I am going after the whole Berserk figures from Figma.

So if you are going after a Casca, now is a good time to get one.

Zombine

Banned
A part of me thinks that if it goes unfinished, it would only add to the Legendary status that the Manga holds. There is something special in using your imagination to create your own ending, or to dream up potential scenarios that could have been. I do something similar with the abandoned continuation of Yu Yu Hakusho ._.

Top Bottom