• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

First time reader?

Yeah. I've watched the anime and the movies and am ready for more. I'm more of an anime guy, so this will be my first manga.

Yes, and buy in bulk and close together. If you go over $50, you get free shipping, and your subsequent purchases within ~7 or 8 days after the first get an additional 2% off. It's not much, but it adds up when purchasing a series as big as this.

Damn! You don't get free shipping if you order outside of America. The total shipping cost is ridiculous if I order 10 volumes! : (

Since we were speaking about figures earlier, did y'all see this one? Holy mother of god, I want it:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...eywords=medicom$pagemax=40$getcnt=0$pagecnt=1

HNNNNG! That looks freaking amazing - but it's a little too expensive for me. If I had money to burn I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Can we all agree the best way to experience Berserk is to watch the original anime and then start the manga from the beginning right after?

Yes?

Thanks.

I'd agree even though I just started reading the manga - knowing what the characters sound like in your head is a huge bonus.

read the manga while listening to this whenever there's a fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew3--XVFioU

Will do! I'll have my phone next to me while reading ready to play some of the music. Some of the tracks are soooooooo good!

Berserk is blowing up on GAF right now. lol

I am rewatching the anime... you know, it is kinda fucked up Griffith ordered a girl who was nearly raped as a child to lay naked with a man for 3 days.

Dahbomb

I am watching the Berserk Redux which is basically combining the movie with the anime (ie filling in the hole). I am enjoying it myself although I always enjoy me some Berserk!

People hate on the movies too much sometimes... some scenes are really well done in it like the Gutts assassination scene.

Moaradin

I am watching the Berserk Redux which is basically combining the movie with the anime (ie filling in the hole). I am enjoying it myself although I always enjoy me some Berserk!

People hate on the movies too much sometimes... some scenes are really well done in it like the Gutts assassination scene.

I like certain scenes but on it's own it has no real flow to it. I was able to enjoy them for what they were after I read the manga. I wouldn't want to experience Berserk with those movies without being able to fill in the blanks.

And how is the redux? Don't characters change VOs?

Dahbomb

Character VO isn't that much of a difference... the characters sound mostly the same despite having different VOs.

Biggest issue is the difference in animation is like going from night to day... it's really jarring (plus the aspect ratio). But even with that it makes the whole experience much better because the "climax" moments end up having a bigger impact because of the build ups and development.

The editor does the best with what he has but it is what it is.

Funny part is that the whole thing isn't even that long... it's 4 parts each around 1h 40-50 minutes each. The makers of the movies fucked up so hard with cutting out so many scenes when they could've had good stuff on their hands by adding 30 minutes to each of the movies.

Maddness

I really hate this thread sometimes. I see it and think "date announced for 338?" Its never true though and I sigh and go on living.

Necrovex

This thread being on the front page has made me start wondering how long Guts & friends have been on that damn boat. As far as I can figure, it's at least since sometime in 2008. Am I off?

Come on Miura, it's time to make the magic happen! It's... time... it's past time, actually...

I was in high school when I caught up to be boat, so at the minimum it was in 2008. I want to say we reached that point in 2007.

Dahbomb

If the movies were traditionally animated, they'd be great. In my opinion, anyway.
The parts that are 2D look really beautiful ... but the parts that are 3D look awful.

Also the art style used in the movies would be godlike for the current Fantasia arc... though not so much for the Black Swordsman/Conviction arcs.

I think the movies would be great if the 3D stuff was scaled back and if they animated the stuff they were missing (like roughly 30 minutes per movie which is still a big chunk). As it is there's just a lot of stuff missing that ruins development and pacing of the movies. The rest is a bunch of cool looking action scenes that occasionally get ruined by bad CGI faces and effects. Still rather enjoyable on its own but not the full Berserk experience of course.

For all its worth I actually enjoyed the OST in the movies (Blood and Guts being my favorite track). There is a lot of variety to it as compared to the anime which really only had like 4 tracks that were used in every important/big scene (though those 4 tracks were amazing).

Is there Japanese speakers on Gaf ? (there must be right ?)

Could anyone translate this small Berserk ad ? (which i love very much although i don't know what she's saying).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNTt6TOFYjk

There's a translation on the comments..but its youtube comments (it is actually pretty rad if it's that what she's saying)

No matter how much blood is spilled,
No matter how many tears are shed,
No matter how many hearts are broken,
No matter how much time slips away,
No matter how much feelings are carried,
No matter how... sad it is,
I want to be part of the dream of that man

Is there Japanese speakers on Gaf ? (there must be right ?)

Could anyone translate this small Berserk ad ? (which i love very much although i don't know what she's saying).
That's actually available on the final dvd, let me check.

This is what the dvd subtitles say:
"No matter how much blood I shed...
No matter how much I had to cry...
No matter how far apart our hearts grew...
No matter how much time passed...
No matter how much my feelings didn't show...
No matter how sad I became...
...I wanted to be his dream."

That's actually available on the final dvd, let me check.

This is what the dvd subtitles say:
"No matter how much blood I shed...
No matter how much I had to cry...
No matter how far apart our hearts grew...
No matter how much time passed...
No matter how much my feelings didn't show...
No matter how sad I became...
...I wanted to be his dream."

Thanks a lot man. I really like the tone of the ad , and Casca dialogue.

Nibel

Berserk up and alive on GAF, spread the word people!

giphy.gif

Nibel

Berserk volume 1 is the number 7 on Amazon top mangas. Are all gaf members buying a volume ?

Mhm, not sure how much it involves GAF, but yeah: because of Bloodborne and obvious Berserk-references people are finding more and more people are interested in understanding where that influence is coming from.

As they should be since Berserk to me is 'dark fantasy perfected'.

Hmmmmm so much Berserk talk, Manga becoming top 5 in amazon, the signs are on the wall, the eclipse is coming.
All signs point to a new whole volume release by Miura, Skull Knight and Void flashback incoming!!!!
Miura pls

LaneDS

Can we all agree the best way to experience Berserk is to watch the original anime and then start the manga from the beginning right after?

Yes?

Thanks.

I for one agree with this.

The OST was a good reason, as listed by others. Also that feeling the ending leaves you with is handled nicely by being able to pick up volume 1 and have a great many volumes to read through that carry you beyond (and then obviously shatter you when you get caught up).

Moaradin

I agree that watching the anime first would definitely want you to get right into the manga with the way it ends off. But looking at a lot of these Berserk threads lately, it seems like a lot of people want to pick up right where the anime/movies left off which I think is a pretty bad idea. Start from the beginning!

Anyone else wonder about the economics of this whole situation? Like, how does Miura live day-to-day given his pace? Is he paid regardless of output per a contract? I doubt he's super-wealthy even given the success of the franchise, but I'd really love to read something that breaks down how the manga industry supports and pays auteurs. Like, look at Yoshitoshi ABe. What the heck does he do all the time? Does he have a day job? How does he support himself in a country with a crazy cost of living? Is there a manga version of Anime: A History, which kind of goes into how the industry created and sustains the awful wages animators make?

Anyone else wonder about the economics of this whole situation? Like, how does Miura live day-to-day given his pace? Is he paid regardless of output per a contract? I doubt he's super-wealthy even given the success of the franchise, but I'd really love to read something that breaks down how the manga industry supports and pays auteurs. Like, look at Yoshitoshi ABe. What the heck does he do all the time? Does he have a day job? How does he support himself in a country with a crazy cost of living? Is there a manga version of Anime: A History, which kind of goes into how the industry created and sustains the awful wages animators make?

Berserk might be the most popular seinen manga. He must be somewhat wealthy. Also he does other stuff and just recently did an entire mini series. He once said he does a page per day. It's a 7 chapter series , with more or less 150 pages . It probably took me quite a while to produce the entire thing.

Fjordson

Berserk volume 1 is the number 7 on Amazon top mangas. Are all gaf members buying a volume ?
I did recently. Got volume 1, then 2, 3, 4 and 5 and then 6, 7, 8 and 9. About to order another 4 so they'll get here on Saturday.

HNNNNG! That looks freaking amazing - but it's a little too expensive for me. If I had money to burn I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
Yeah, I agree (I think lol). It's still up for pre-order on a few sites for under $300 (like this one). But I'm trying to resist. The thing looks ridiculous, though.

Dawg

That's a nice statue all right. That said, there is one statue that is far above the rest. It's too expensive for me, though.

Limited to 300 pieces, each engraved with a serial number. I believe it costs like $1100.

I think Miura is more than doing just fine, actually he must be doing well, his work still sells regardless the pace he puts out new volumes there is always someone buying the old volumes and starting his collection. Plus the royalties and licensing fees for all the Berserk related merchandise must be very juicy. Also Miura being a loner and introvert guy and kind of humble gives me the impression that he is not a big spender and live a very modest lifestyle.

Dysun

Yes?

Thanks.

I'll agree with this, the first episode is forgotten by the time you are reaching the end and weird stuff crops back up. If you go through the manga first I imagine some of that initial shock is lost

Mumei

Berserk might be the most popular seinen manga. He must be somewhat wealthy. Also he does other stuff and just recently did an entire mini series. He once said he does a page per day. It's a 7 chapter series , with more or less 150 pages . It probably took me quite a while to produce the entire thing.

It's popular, but Golgo 13 is still quite a bit bigger.

so all this Berserk hype has finally got me to read the manga. i watched the anime after seeing the similarities between the Souls games and the manga art and then got so upset at how the anime just stops (dat ending, i was so angry) that i didn't bother looking into it more.

now i've blown through volume 1 of the manga in like 2 hours.

I think Miura is more than doing just fine, actually he must be doing well, his work still sells regardless the pace he puts out new volumes there is always someone buying the old volumes and starting his collection. Plus the royalties and licensing fees for all the Berserk related merchandise must be very juicy. Also Miura being a loner and introvert guy and kind of humble gives me the impression that he is not a big spender and live a very modest lifestyle.
Japan seems quite a bit different in terms of how creators are rewarded for their creations versus a place like the US. I'm positive he's doing fine but I really wonder how much he pulls in. I think the modest lifestyle definitely plays into it for many manga creators / creative types, but I feel like I'm still missing something. I don't know, maybe I'm totally crazy / off-base. Just has always been food for thought for me.

Dresden

Japan seems quite a bit different in terms of how creators are rewarded for their creations versus a place like the US. I'm positive he's doing fine but I really wonder how much he pulls in. I think the modest lifestyle definitely plays into it for many manga creators / creative types, but I feel like I'm still missing something. I don't know, maybe I'm totally crazy / off-base. Just has always been food for thought for me.

Dunno if he's ever said, but something like 25+ million sales in Japan should have set him up for life. That's before we count various merchandising deals or the animation releases. Not being a wage-slave working for a niche industry helps; manga is on a different level compared to anime, when it comes to popularity, awareness, sales, royalties, etc.

Cosmozone

I catched up to the manga a longer while ago so I'm forced to play the waiting game. But I'm glad that at least one of my favourites has such a large fan-following. I haven't watched the original anime, just two of the movies, but I remember them not being all that bad. At least I saw some of the story being animated in some form.

However the title music 'Aria' for the movies is awesome, just as the Sign song from the PS2 game. The way the tone of the voice changes after the first line is a stroke of genius. When I then listened to the full version of Aria, I was blown away. Great job. Thanks to this thread I learned that the composer is also the singer. Mad respect to him.

Dawg

I'd kill for a current gen Berserk game.

At this rate though... there's a bigger chance Guts would make a cameo in the new idolm@ster.

mcz117chief

I'd kill for a current gen Berserk game.

At this rate though... there's a bigger chance Guts would make a cameo in the new idolm@ster.

I found something that helps to scratch that itch. First, Dragon's Dogma has a ton of Berserk references and cameos (Guts' and Griffith's armour + weapons).

Second, Skyrim mods. If you get Guts character + his weapons (golden age sword, dragonslayer, knife and canon arm) + his armour (both Black Swordsman and Berserk armour) + zweihander animation pack + dragonslayer sword sound effects + enhanced blood + dismemberment mod (with the ability to chop multiple people in half with a single strike) + custom music (put that epic anime OST in there) = BEST EFFIN SKYRIM OF ALL THE DARN TIME !!!!

Dawg

I found something that helps to scratch that itch. First, Dragon's Dogma has a ton of Berserk references and cameos (Guts' and Griffith's armour + weapons).

Second, Skyrim mods. If you get Guts character + his weapons (golden age sword, dragonslayer, knife and canon arm) + his armour (both Black Swordsman and Berserk armour) + zweihander animation pack + dragonslayer sword sound effects + enhanced blood + dismemberment mod (with the ability to chop multiple people in half with a single strike) + custom music (put that epic anime OST in there) = BEST EFFIN SKYRIM OF ALL THE DARN TIME !!!!

I'm actually finding the Souls games to be the closest thing. Fighting with Ludwig's Holy Blade in Bloodborne gave me that Guts feeling.

Fjordson

Volume 9 of the manga seems to be sold out everywhere, putting a real big delay in my reading =[

Have it on order from Amazon, but it's not scheduled to ship for another two weeks.

mcz117chief

Volume 9 of the manga seems to be sold out everywhere, putting a real big delay in my reading =[

Have it on order from Amazon, but it's not scheduled to ship for another two weeks.

Oh yes, the famous 9. I had to order it from America from "Things From Another World" under the "nick'n'dent" category and it took them more than a month to deliver it to me.

edit: They currently have it in stock http://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Berserk-Volume-09-TPB___246808

Also, I must AGAIN suggest that you buy from http://www.bookdepository.com/. They have free shipping all over the world and send everything in heavy duty envelopes. I bought over 20 volumes of Berserk (+ a ton of other stuff) from them with zero trouble and fast delivery.

edit: aaaand I just bought another volume... and they put me on their front page for the first time :D !!!

88707Om.png

THAT'S ME :)

Fjordson

Tfaw is kinda slow though (7-14 days at the earliest it says) and Book Depository says insufficient stock =[ What is it with volume 9? Random for that one to be out of stock everywhere lol.

Oh well, Amazon will have it delivered in about a week. Just a drag when I usually get them in two days with Amazon prime. And I'll have 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 by this weekend.

mcz117chief

Tfaw is kinda slow though (7-14 days at the earliest it says) and Book Depository says insufficient stock =[ What is it with volume 9? Random for that one to be out of stock everywhere lol.

Oh well, Amazon will have it delivered in about a week. Just a drag when I usually get them in two days with Amazon prime. And I'll have 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 by this weekend.

There was a time when Volume 18 was almost impossible to buy. Some small stores were selling it close to 100$ and they costed even more on e-bay (some people were asking prices around 200$).

Top Bottom