• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I have mixed feelings about chapters coming out on a regular basis. I'm extremely happy about it but I feel this is setting me for the heartbreak and depression when Miura decides to take a year long break lol. Whatever Shonen is doing to Oda must be do done to Miura as well.

The 1997 anime is godlike but it definitely should be watched before reading the Golden Age arc. Watch it later and you'll just find yourself nitpicking what's later. Also it's not ugly. The new movies are ugly, the old anime is just awesome. Perfect voice casting as well.

Plus the soundtrack is indeed a great companion to reading the manga.

Also feels like we have this discussion every time someone new starts reading :V

This is the "top 5 gundam OP list" of BerserkGAF.

The 1997 anime is godlike but it definitely should be watched before reading the Golden Age arc. Watch it later and you'll just find yourself nitpicking what's later. Also it's not ugly. The new movies are ugly, the old anime is just awesome. Perfect voice casting as well.

Also feels like we have this discussion every time someone new starts reading :V

So I should never watch the anime then since I'm currently reading and liking Golden Age. I can usually just be fine with what's there as long as it's not something egregious like the last three or four episodes of the Claymore anime.

I grabbed volumes 1-17 off eBay a while ago, have been gradually making my way through them (I think next up is 8?)

I loved the darker stuff from the first few volumes, can't say I'm as interested in the Golden Age origin story stuff (though it's clearly leading back to the darkness). The more standard warrior fare just isn't as interesting to me I guess

I can usually just be fine with what's there as long as it's not something egregious like the last three or four episodes of the Claymore anime.

It definitely doesn't come up with any of its own bullshit like I hear Claymore did. It's very much a straight adaptation and it cuts off impressively little content. Pretty much the only big things that are not in the anime are Skull Face and Wyald.

It definitely doesn't come up with any of its own bullshit like I hear Claymore did. It's very much a straight adaptation and it cuts off impressively little content. Pretty much the only big things that are not in the anime are Skull Face and Wyald.
This must be the "Year of Skull Face" for me my god. Good that it's a good adaptation too, I almost watched it a couple of months ago, but I heard it's pretty much incomplete and everything else is in the manga so I didn't. Since I'm liking the manga I'll probably watch it when I'm done with what's available for the manga.

eoHoB8I.jpg

I wish Berserk fans would stop this whole attitude of "Berserk will never get finished." It's starting to get a little bit annoying. Yes, I know Miura takes a lot of breaks and it's been going for decades, but try to look at the bigger picture. We're well passed the halfway point of the story and Miura is 49, he's still got a good 20 years to finish it off. I guess it's easy for me to be positive since I only got into Berserk this year, but guys - a little more positivity about the future wouldn't kill ya. You will get to see the end!

I don't mind the "Berserk will never end" meme but the boat meme is boring as fuck now. Especially when people are saying it who read Berserk like... Two weeks ago. You don't know the struggle.

The anime just doesn't seem to have a point beyond getting people into the (better) manga. It basically was a big ad for the manga--they end with the cliff hanger so audiences go "that can't be how it ends . . . wait, it's not? Thank God!" and then buy every issue.

If you're already reading the manga, the anime doesn't really matter.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I grabbed volumes 1-17 off eBay a while ago, have been gradually making my way through them (I think next up is 8?)

I loved the darker stuff from the first few volumes, can't say I'm as interested in the Golden Age origin story stuff (though it's clearly leading back to the darkness). The more standard warrior fare just isn't as interesting to me I guess

Golden Age is the most important arc in terms of Gut's character development. It's vital to understand the Black Swordsman and his motivations. It sets up all the main key players too for future volumes and arcs.

Moaradin

If you have the choice, I would go with the manga first every time. The anime is good, but it still leaves out a lot of development, missing characters, and the Eclipse doesn't hit nearly as hard. I still enjoyed watching the anime afterwards. Just seeing everything animated with music and character voices was nice.

It still is a nice advertisement for the manga. I can't imagine not wanting to immediately jump into the manga after watching it lol

Veelk

Banned
Golden age is also the most focused of the arcs. Other arcs are really good too, but they at times have a meandering feeling to them. Golden Age is slow paced, but very focused.

I don't mind the "Berserk will never end" meme but the boat meme is boring as fuck now. Especially when people are saying it who read Berserk like... Two weeks ago. You don't know the struggle.

Surely they'll get off the boat this year. For me I still haven't even stepped foot on the boat, but I do know roughly how the story unfolds all the way up to the latest chapter. I've got a feeling it'll happen in the last chapter of volume 38, which isn't far off. Regardless, the moment they are off the boat the title of this thread better be edited to include "WE'RE FINALLY OFF THE BOAT!"

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I hope they're not gonna
give Erica the fridge treatment. She's a likeable character but now that I think about it, she's never done anything besides be likeable and be the motivation for Rickert.

Yonafunu

eoHoB8I.jpg

I wish Berserk fans would stop this whole attitude of "Berserk will never get finished." It's starting to get a little bit annoying. Yes, I know Miura takes a lot of breaks and it's been going for decades, but try to look at the bigger picture. We're well passed the halfway point of the story and Miura is 49, he's still got a good 20 years to finish it off. I guess it's easy for me to be positive since I only got into Berserk this year, but guys - a little more positivity about the future wouldn't kill ya. You will get to see the end!

Nobody is actually bitter or negative about it anymore (aside from maybe new readers), I think most fans have accepted the situation a loooooong time ago. You just get numb to it after a while. It's the same thing with Hunter X Hunter. They're both some of my favorite series of all time, but after all of these years with barely any new stuff it gets harder and harder to keep caring. I'll be over the fucking moon when Togashi comes back, but I'll always be ready for every chapter to be the last one of the year.

When people worry about Miura finishing Berserk, I remember what George RR Martin said:

“I find that question pretty offensive, frankly, when people start speculating about my death and my health,” he says. “So fuck you to those people.”

34RtY8Z.gif

Fjordson

The Idolmaster thing will never stop being funny to me. Not that I have a problem with Idolmaster, but it's just such a specific reference :lol

Veelk

Banned
We're just worried that he keeps playing Idolmaster instead of making more of this great manga.

Eh, it's no different than GRRM's obsession with football.

I wish there were more interviews with Miura available. I would love to know his process.

Fjordson

Eh, it's no different than GRRM's obsession with football.

I wish there were more interviews with Miura available. I would love to know his process.
Also conventions. Holy shit. I feel like he's slowed down a bit, but Martin used to go to so many conventions lmao. I'd constantly see him announce appearances on his blog for cons I had never even heard of, in addition to the bigger usual suspects.

Erigu

So Berserk kept being on hiatus cause Miura couldn't put down his waifu simulator?
Miura said he liked Idolmaster, and entitled morons don't want him to spend time doing anything other than drawing and maybe eating/spleeping, so they declared that was the reason progress had gotten slower.

I remember when I used to browse Skullknight.net and they sent Miura a letter asking him some questions. They actually got a response and if I remember correctly, Miura works 16 hour workdays or something.

Found the thread Yep, 15-16 hour workdays, no holidays, starting at 2 pm and ending at 7 am.

Veelk

Banned
I remember when I used to browse Skullknight.net and they sent Miura a letter asking him some questions. They actually got a response and if I remember correctly, Miura works 16 workdays or something.

Found the thread Yep, 15-16 hour workdays, no holidays, starting at 2 pm and ending at 7 am.

Hm....he doesn't strike me as an extremely social figure then. That would concern me. I hope he goes out on weekends and stuff. I want the guy to live a full life after all. It's not healthy to be entirely cooped up all day.

Q7: Do you feel a sense of achievement at what you've accomplished over all those years? Was it worth the sacrifices to your life and health it has required?

Yes, I feel a sense of achievement, since my work has been appreciated more and more over time in society.

Besides, I can’t think of living any other life.

Hm....well, as long as he's happy then. Interesting guy, this Miura.

Fjordson

Just got en email from AmiAmi that Medicom's black swordsman Guts figure has been delayed to December. Damn! Not a huge delay, but I want this thing ASAP. Most anticipated figure for me in a long time.

I remember when I used to browse Skullknight.net and they sent Miura a letter asking him some questions. They actually got a response and if I remember correctly, Miura works 16 workdays or something.

Wow, this is fascinating. Thanks for the link!

Hm....he doesn't strike me as an extremely social figure then. That would concern me. I hope he goes out on weekends and stuff. I want the guy to live a full life after all. It's not healthy to be entirely cooped up all day.

Hm....well, as long as he's happy then. Interesting guy, this Miura.

Honestly when you read interviews by other mangaka it seems like the nature of the beast. You do it because you love it, and the schedule can and will have negative effects on your body and mind if you aren't careful.

The boat thing is really weird because if you marathon the series, they aren't even on the boat for any significant portion of time and I for one loved Guts wrecking shit at Innsmouth, and the part where's he's inside the monster and the pressure of its beating heart is just fucking him up but he still inches closer is badass as fuck.

Veelk

Banned
Honestly when you read interviews by other mangaka it seems like the nature of the beast.

No, I know insane work schedules are the norm, but I was referring more to the time. Starting at 2pm and working to 7am, meaning he sleeps during the day. I know Oda takes breaks to be with his wife. I'm pretty sure I read Kishimoto interviews that say the same thing, but for the life of me I can't remember. Still, it's all the more important that mangaka get out occasionally given such an intense work schedule.

Veelk

Banned
Why not, there's blood in every panel practically any way so far...minus that shower scene with Griffith I just finished reading. That Dude is either going to die or become the big bad.

Spoilers, he actually ends up
Gut's sidekick[/spoilers]

cyborg009

Banned
eoHoB8I.jpg

Hunter X Hunter is the only manga that will never be finished.

Mumei

I have mixed feelings about chapters coming out on a regular basis. I'm extremely happy about it but I feel this is setting me for the heartbreak and depression when Miura decides to take a year long break lol. Whatever Shonen is doing to Oda must be do done to Miura as well.

I'm just letting them build up. I currently have 16 chapters unread, and it's a wonderful feeling. :3

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
If you have the choice, I would go with the manga first every time. The anime is good, but it still leaves out a lot of development, missing characters, and the Eclipse doesn't hit nearly as hard.

I disagree (partly), for the very first time you should watch the TV anime first because it's still a good anime worth watching on its own and you'll get to know Susumu Hirasawas Music which you can listen to while reading the manga.

I disagree (partly), for the very first time you should watch the TV anime first because it's still a good anime worth watching on its own and you'll get to know Susumu Hirasawas Music which you can listen to while reading the manga.
I think it helps make the first few volumes easier to read. I remember really not liking Guts when I tried Berserk in college. It also just seemed too much for me, but after seeing the anime years later I now know what to expect and I liked the first volume considerably more.

I think it helps make the first few volumes easier to read. I remember really not liking Guts when I tried Berserk in college. It also just seemed too much for me, but after seeing the anime years later I now know what to expect and I liked the first volume considerably more.

It definitely helps with getting used to the tone of the series. The show's first episode is considerably more mellow than the manga even though it's pretty much starts with Guts violently murdering a gang of assholes. And then you go right into the Golden Age arc. Whereas in the manga you have to get through three volumes of straight up violent shit with a seemingly unlikable protagonist.

I do like the Black Swordsman arc but I doubt it would have instantly impressed me hadn't I watched the anime before reading.

I'm just letting them build up. I currently have 16 chapters unread, and it's a wonderful feeling. :3

Totally.

Top Bottom