• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

I disagree (partly), for the very first time you should watch the TV anime first because it's still a good anime worth watching on its own and you'll get to know Susumu Hirasawas Music which you can listen to while reading the manga.

Yeah, I agree. Not only do you get the added bonus of the fantastic music, but you can also read the dialogue from the manga in your head as the voices from the anime. I watched the anime before diving into the manga and I wouldn't have it any other way. If anyone ever asks me which to start with first I'll always suggest to go with the anime.

It definitely helps with getting used to the tone of the series. The show's first episode is considerably more mellow than the manga even though it's pretty much starts with Guts violently murdering a gang of assholes. And then you go right into the Golden Age arc. Whereas in the manga you have to get through three volumes of straight up violent shit with a seemingly unlikable protagonist.

I do like the Black Swordsman arc but I doubt it would have instantly impressed me hadn't I watched the anime before reading.
Lol can Guts go anywhere without murdering somebody?

Tacitus_

I'd love to see somebody make a drinking game out of Guts killing somebody in the manga. They'd probably just wind up another notch on Guts' giant sword hilt in the process.

Do you want people to end up with alcohol poisoning?

pg99.jpg

Mumei

I think it helps make the first few volumes easier to read. I remember really not liking Guts when I tried Berserk in college. It also just seemed too much for me, but after seeing the anime years later I now know what to expect and I liked the first volume considerably more.

I think it also helps contextualize early Guts (e.g. Volumes 1 - 3). He's a very different person there than he is at, say, Volumes 8 - 10, or later again in the series. When you first see him, he doesn't exactly cut a sympathetic figure until you get a sense of how he became the way he is.

I disagree (partly), for the very first time you should watch the TV anime first because it's still a good anime worth watching on its own and you'll get to know Susumu Hirasawas Music which you can listen to while reading the manga.

Forces is the best. The best.

Yeah I'm in early Golden Age still and it's safe to say that Griffith brings out the best in Guts, it's impossible not to like Griffith actually. You could actually see Guts be moved by Griffiths "dream" monologue...
right after he kills a dad and his kid cause Berserk

Yeah I'm in early Golden Age still and it's safe to say that Griffith brings out the best in Guts, it's impossible not to like Griffith actually. You could actually see Guts be moved by Griffiths "dream" monologue...
right after he kills a dad and his kid cause Berserk
Tee hee

I'm in volume 8, I'm wondering when these rich nobles are going to stop trying to kill Griffith cause it's clearly not working for them. Damn Caska looks good in a dress.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
After avoiding it for years, I watched the first Berserk Golden Age film last night. I have to admit, I actually enjoyed it more than I expected to.

For context, I watched the original tv series around 2000 and started reading the manga around 2005-ish, so I expected to be really critical of the movie, but it the broad strokes. It obviously skips a lot, but I enjoyed being able to revisit these characters.

New berserk issue came out and guts is rumoured for the next issue. Waiting on translation but loving the output of berserk. Berserk is game of thrones in terms of waiting for the update.

I'm on volume 10...fucking dear fucking god!!!! Griffith...my husbando, what have they done to you?!!!!
tumblr_ms5mbpxWIt1rekuqao1_500.gif

Band of the Hawk
turned into a cramped casket from Bloodborne? Like what the fuck?! What the actual fuck?!

Veelk

Banned
Guys, Guys..! (Jaded, this is not for you, so don't unspoiler this, nor the link)

I got him to believe that the reason I made him start on the golden age without finishing the first 3 volumes (before he got to griffith) is because I didn't want to spoil him to Griffith being crippled). Don't quote this with the message that hints for him that I've been lying to him, but feel free to join me in evil laughter.

https://memecrunch.com/image/4f8474d718613341260160d8.jpg?w=400

Laputa_94

Guys, Guys..! (Jaded, this is not for you, so don't unspoiler this, nor the link)

I got him to believe that the reason I made him start on the golden age without finishing the first 3 volumes (before he got to griffith) is because I didn't want to spoil him to Griffith being crippled). Don't quote this with the message that hints for him that I've been lying to him, but feel free to join me in evil laughter.

https://memecrunch.com/image/4f8474d718613341260160d8.jpg?w=400

1441581868465.jpg

I'll never forget getting to "that" part the first time. I'm just happy with how well the community in general, not just on GAF as a whole just respects not ruining that for new comers, it's pretty neat.

So um, like the sun is doing something, Puck has appeared and everyone seems to be losing their damn minds. Middle of volume 12.
Just finished volume 12...um
Did Griffith just sacrifice the lives of everybody that rescued him? If that's what happened this shit is fucked up, god damn
And I have the oddest sense that this is going to get worse.

So um, like the sun is doing something, Puck has appeared and everyone seems to be losing their damn minds. Middle of volume 12.
Just finished volume 12...um
Did Griffith just sacrifice the lives of everybody that rescued him? If that's what happened this shit is fucked up, god damn
And I have the oddest sense that this is going to get worse.

It begins.

Veelk

Banned
Guys, he still hasn't finished volume 13, so lets not jump the gun. (again, spoiler for jaded, do not hightlight if you're Jaded)
I also convinced him that griffith is not actually going to sacrifice them somehow. I am as evil as any apostle.

cyborg009

Banned
from reddit

Next episode will come out on the 27th of November and with that we will probably complete a volume.
Additionally, the note by the end of the episode says that we will switch to Guts side.

HYPE.

Come back JadedWriter...

du2DuAh.jpg

The reaction will be damn amazing, especially since he/she didn't watch the anime and is going in blind. By the way JadedWriter, yes, what your about to read is without question worse than The Red Wedding. This is honestly on an entirely different level. I've never come across anything more shocking in fiction. Brace for impact!

from reddit

Next episode will come out on the 27th of November and with that we will probably complete a volume.
Additionally, the note by the end of the episode says that we will switch to Guts side.

HYPE.

So we'll be switching to Guts AND it'll probably be the end of a volume? This has gotta be a sign from the heavens that they'll finally be getting off the boat, right? Let's end volume 38 with a bang! And speaking of volume 38, we should be getting a cover reveal pretty soon. I can't wait to see what it ends up being. HYPE IS ACTIVATED!

Come back JadedWriter...

du2DuAh.jpg

The reaction will be damn amazing, especially since he/she didn't watch the anime and is going in blind. By the way JadedWriter, yes, what your about to read is without question worse than The Red Wedding. This is honestly on an entirely different level. I've never come across anything more shocking in fiction. Brace for impact!
Well god damn, I usually read this after work so I'll get to it later this afternoon. This series definitely seems a lot more brutal than the Game of Thrones world. Less sex and a lot more death, granted I don't read the books. Hope I don't have a mental breakdown on the train home then.

Top Bottom