• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

. Why not just leave it at Hawk for the sake of consistency? I guess if you look at it as the new name for Griffith's new team it kinda makes sense.

Because its wrong. Miura expressly told the fans he wanted to be Falcon , not Hawk. The insistence of continuing an error is bizarre.

We were lucky that Guts didnt end up being called Gats or Gatsu.

Aren't there OOP volumes?

For a while there were. But they got reprinted. Wouldn't be surprised they would go oop in a few years.

Because its wrong. Miura expressly told the fans he wanted to be Falcon , not Hawk. The insistence of continuing an error is bizarre.

For a while there were. But they got reprinted. Wouldn't be surprised they would go oop in a few years.

This is how they referred to him in the Dreamcast game, and it was annoying.

Fair enough. I just wish Dark Horse would have added in a little note on the bottom of the contents page when they changed it stating that it should have simply been Falcon from the very beginning and that it's not changed as a plot point. It was weird when I first noticed the difference with no explanation. The fact that it stays as Hawk in the chapters is pretty odd too.

Awesome . . . I might start collecting again.

Volume 24...

diPhgPa.jpg

that
troll rape panel was trippy as hell when I first saw it...

I had heard that the trolls were really awful, so that didn't really surprise me to be completely honest with you.

What did surprise me was the onslaught of info dumps in volume 24. So much to take in! It left my brain fried.

I found a scanlation site that has it, took me to page 8 of Chapter one and the first thing I see is Guts' ass. Why is Guts fucking a demon? Demon dead now, Gut's rocking that steam punk cyborg hand like he just stepped out of Escaflowne. I've been reading this for like four minutes and Guts has already killed four things. Don't fuck with Guts! or fuck with shit in front of Guts. And he just sliced somebody in half...this shit is metal as fuck. So is Guts like missing an eye or does he just walk around with one eye open? So the first villain is a dude that wears a Cobra hat, spears kids on horseback and drinks their blood while they're impaled on a spear....fuck and he's just the starter villain. Yooooo, this motherfucker is a giant cobra demon thing. Artwork is sick as fuck, looks like he should be working in Sen's Fortress.

cyborg009

Banned
I found a scanlation site that has it, took me to page 8 of Chapter one and the first thing I see is Guts' ass. Why is Guts fucking a demon? Demon dead now, Gut's rocking that steam punk cyborg hand like he just stepped out of Escaflowne. I've been reading this for like four minutes and Guts has already killed four things. Don't fuck with Guts! or fuck with shit in front of Guts. And he just sliced somebody in half...this shit is metal as fuck. So is Guts like missing an eye or does he just walk around with one eye open? So the first villain is a dude that wears a Cobra hat, spears kids on horseback and drinks their blood while they're impaled on a spear....fuck and he's just the starter villain. Yooooo, this motherfucker is a giant cobra demon thing. Artwork is sick as fuck, looks like he should be working in Sen's Fortress.

Want to hear something cool? It only gets better from here.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah I've heard, I've been kept in the dark too long. Half the battle scenes look like 80's heavy metal covers. I don't care about god damn realisim, dude one handing Ludwigs Holy Blade.

I love Berserk's mix of realism with fantasy. A lot of things are taken care to be true to real life, but it allows for unreal shit if it makes for a better story.

That said, I always wanted an explaination for why everyone doesn't just use huge swords if all that's required is training with them, since they're obviously superior weapons than normal sized blades.

I love Berserk's mix of realism with fantasy. A lot of things are taken care to be true to real life, but it allows for unreal shit if it makes for a better story.

That said, I always wanted an explaination for why everyone doesn't just use huge swords if all that's required is training with them, since they're obviously superior weapons than normal sized blades.
Bigger the sword, bigger the badass, probably just rule of cool. So I'm about two chapters in and I'm already reading about cannibalism due to some creepy egg with mouths on it. Are there any taboos this thing doesn't touch on cause it's constantly not pulling any punches. Man the artist spends a lot of his time drawing sick shit in detail like damn. Doppelganger mouth worm thing ewww.

Moaradin

The first couple volumes are the worst chapters in Berserk too lol

It gets so much better once you get into the meat of the story. The art, story, characters, etc.

cyborg009

Banned

Everyone knows that Gut's isn't 100% human (Teeth and ears).

The first couple volumes are the worst chapters in Berserk too lol

It gets so much better once you get into the meat of the story. The art, story, characters, etc.
I stopped at the second half of what seems like Chapter 3 where he has to now deal with that twisted demonic depraved count. Nice to know it actually improves after this. I'm still trying to figure out Puck's gender.

I stopped at the second half of what seems like Chapter 3 where he has to now deal with that twisted demonic depraved count. Nice to know it actually improves after this. I'm still trying to figure out Puck's gender.

I actually think the first arc is rather weak, the series dramatically improves during Golden Age.

Puck is a male.

I actually think the first arc is rather weak, the series dramatically improves during Golden Age.

Puck is a male.
Puck behaves like a female, but it makes sense because no boobs. Guts needs to stop smacking Puck on the ass then. I heard Golden Age is fucked up but I'm quite sure I'm pretty far from that.

Veelk

Banned
Bigger the sword, bigger the badass, probably just rule of cool. So I'm about two chapters in and I'm already reading about cannibalism due to some creepy egg with mouths on it. Are there any taboos this thing doesn't touch on cause it's constantly not pulling any punches. Man the artist spends a lot of his time drawing sick shit in detail like damn. Doppelganger mouth worm thing ewww.

I know it's rule of cool, I just would have preferred some justification for why he's the only one who does it.

And no, Berserk gives absolutely zero fucks.

Everyone knows that Gut's isn't 100% human (Teeth and ears).
That's up in the air. It could be just a stylistic choice. Everyone had Gut's ears early in the manga, but they lost it as Miura's art style changed, but Gut's kept it. I'd believe he is part Apostle, for sure, I just wouldn't take his beastly appearance as evidence of such.

I know it's rule of cool, I just would have preferred some justification for why he's the only one who does it.

That's up in the air. It could be just a stylistic choice. Everyone had Gut's ears early in the manga, but they lost it as Miura's art style changed, but Gut's kept it. I'd believe he is part Apostle, for sure, I just wouldn't take his beastly appearance as evidence of such.
Aspects of this remind me of Claymore though better written.

Guts has the giant swords out of necessity because they had no child size swords for him. Not everyone just trains with swords as large as they are when they're kids.

Veelk

Banned
Guts has the giant swords out of necessity because they had no child size swords for him. Not everyone just trains with swords as large as they are when they're kids.

I know, that happens in real life because it's impossible. In Berserks world...you'd expect that if that's the most efficient way of sword training, then that's what most people, or if not that then atleast the high born nobles that can afford the best possible training, would do. A giant sword is clearly far more effective than a regular one, so there should be some reason why giant swords are not relatively commonplace. The way it's right now, it just seems that Guts is the only one who ever put effort into training and everyone slacked off with their normal sized swords, which is obviously not the case.

Mumei

I don't know where you live, but you should see if your library has any volumes. Even if it doesn't have them all, the official translation and fan translations are almost night and day in quality. My library doesn't have the whole series, but it does have volumes 1 - 14, or the entirety of The Blackswords Man and The Golden Age (1 - 3, and 4 - 14).

I only read like the first few chapters of that before dropping it for reasons I can't remember. Is it any good?
It's not bad. I like the anime except for the last couple of non canon episodes. From what I remember the manga got weird as hell though. Miria's like the best character from what I remember though. Claire just mega man's everybody's techniques. Another good one is Biobooster Armor Guyver, that one I really have to get back into or find some where.

Not necessarily. Most aren't suited to fighting with a giant sword like that, they prefer speed and precision. Griffith beat Guts in their first meeting, and Serpico showed how Guts may face a disadvantage in smaller, more confined spaces. Plus, he has a magical wind sword. It's not like Guts wielding a giant sword is treated like some humdrum occurrence like in a final fantasy game, characters in-universe are dumbfounded by it. The only other character who can wield a comparable sword is Zodd, which may be a hint that Guts isn't all human.

Moaradin

I remember hearing theories that Guts is
Zodd's bastard child lol

cyborg009

Banned

I thought Apostle couldn't have children or else Wylad would have a lot of his bastrds running around.

Veelk

Banned
Not necessarily. Most aren't suited to fighting with a giant sword like that, they prefer speed and precision. Griffith beat Guts in their first meeting, and Serpico showed how Guts may face a disadvantage in smaller, more confined spaces. Plus, he has a magical wind sword. It's not like Guts wielding a giant sword is treated like some humdrum occurrence like in a final fantasy game, characters in-universe are dumbfounded by it. The only other character who can wield a comparable sword is Zodd, which may be a hint that Guts isn't all human.

Guts still beat them both. With Griffith, he just needed more training with it. With Serpico, not only is he like the only one who used environmental strategy against guts, but he still lost anyway. People are dumbfounded because they never imagined anyone could do that, but it's not really explored why no one has thought to do it. The only explanation is that Guts isn't entirely human, but I have my doubts about that. It's possible, but more than anything, it would go against so much of the character's ethos. Until confirmed otherwise, I'm assuming Guts is human, which is why his being the only one to even try to use the giant sword somewhat odd.

BTW, I recognize this is mostly a nitpick. I'm just saying....

I thought Apostle couldn't have children or else Wylad would have a lot of his bastrds running around.

His fetish was to kill girls once he was done raping them. Honestly of all the dispicable characters we had so far, Wylad still remains one of the more repulsive nasties to me.

Puck behaves like a female, but it makes sense because no boobs. Guts needs to stop smacking Puck on the ass then. I heard Golden Age is fucked up but I'm quite sure I'm pretty far from that.

The Golden Age arc starts in volume three. Basically two "big" baddies and then you're in it.

He is a fucking fairy. What did you expect.

Do you really want, a gritty, manly, testosterone-fueled fairy?
Gritty and manly paired up with Guts would practically be testosterone overload, actually balances Guts out really well.
Puck is the light in the dark.

Do not hate or I will hate you.
Lol I like Puck actually, balances out the craziness and the intensity of the manga.

Just started chapter 2 of golden age, fuck Gambino!!! Why is Griffith such a fucking pretty boy? Did Caska get animated? She's pretty cool. How much of Golden Age is in the anime?

Just started chapter 2 of golden age, fuck Gambino!!! Why is Griffith such a fucking pretty boy? Did Caska get animated? She's pretty cool. How much of Golden Age is in the anime?

Keep reading. All of the Golden Age that mattered was animated parts were taken out but doesn't hinder the story much at all, read the manga then watch the anime and you'll see what was taken out. Don't watch the movies.

Keep reading. All of the Golden Age that mattered was animated parts were taken out but doesn't hinder the story much at all, read the manga then watch the anime and you'll see what was taken out. Don't watch the movies.
Yeah I did hear the animated stuff was nothing more than a bullshit tease for the manga, damn shame.

Mumei

Yeah I did hear the animated stuff was nothing more than a bullshit tease for the manga, damn shame.

Eh. It's actually a pretty great adaptation, but you just have to think of it an adaptation. There are some abridgments, and it ends on a cliffhanger, but I think it's still worth watching.

Veelk

Banned
Eh. It's actually a pretty great adaptation, but you just have to think of it an adaptation. There are some abridgments, and it ends on a cliffhanger, but I think it's still worth watching.

Only as a post reading of the manga though. I wouldn't want anyone to have their first berserk experience with that.

Mumei

Only as a post reading of the manga though. I wouldn't want anyone to have their first berserk experience with that.

I actually watched the anime first - I learned about it when I was looking for videos clips of the second season of Rurouni Kenshin online (this before Youtube, and before the second DVD set had released, but after it had stopped airing regularly on Toonami or CN or whatever), and found some on the (now defunct) website DaBlackGoku.com. In addition to videos of some of the best moments in the second season of RuroKen, he also had a number of videos from Berserk.

So, I ended up watching that first, and then later going back and seeking out the manga.

Veelk

Banned
I actually watched the anime first - I learned about it when I was looking for videos clips of the second season of Rurouni Kenshin online (this before Youtube, and before the second DVD set had released, but after it had stopped airing regularly on Toonami or CN or whatever), and found some on the (now defunct) website DaBlackGoku.com. In addition to videos of some of the best moments in the second season of RuroKen, he also had a number of videos from Berserk.

So, I ended up watching that first, and then later going back and seeking out the manga.

I wrote that with the thought that he was thinking of the Golden Age movies, not the anime. I mean, I still make that argument for the anime, but with less severity.

Still, there's no adaptation, however terrible, that can ruin an original work so long as the original work is good, so it's not like there''s any way it could outright kill Berserk for anyone. I just consider the manga (with someone advising the reader to begin halfway through Volume 3, starting at the Golden Age plot rather than Volume 1) the ideal experience.

I wrote that with the thought that he was thinking of the Golden Age movies, not the anime. I mean, I still make that argument for the anime, but with less severity.

Still, there's no adaptation, however terrible, that can ruin an original work so long as the original work is good, so it's not like there''s any way it could outright kill Berserk for anyone. I just consider the manga (with someone advising the reader to begin halfway through Volume 3, starting at the Golden Age plot rather than Volume 1) the ideal experience.
The animated stuff will definitely be after I'm done with the manga, made for disturbing but great commute reading. Griffith is great and so is Caska.

Big One

Banned
Eh not a fan of either of the anime. You lose something when you adapt Miura's artwork into a more simplistic form, and that's just ignoring all the random shit the anime chose the do in how it told it's story that was just bleh for me.

Really gunning for a better adaptation once this manga finishes in 2033 or something.

Eh not a fan of either of the anime. You lose something when you adapt Miura's artwork into a more simplistic form, and that's just ignoring all the random shit the anime chose the do in how it told it's story that was just bleh for me.

Really gunning for a better adaptation once this manga finishes in 2033 or something.
I can see how that can be the case, his artwork is beautiful. It being dumbed down would detract a little bit and I think it gets better in the later chapters, which I can't wait for.

Helmholtz

The anime also got me into Berserk. Same with my friend. In fact, I typically recommend most of my non-manga reading friends to watch the anime first, and if they like what they saw (at least story wise), then they can go back and check out the manga.
I really think the original anime is a pretty solid adaptation of that arc.
As someone who typically doesn't read manga outside of stuff like Berserk, I still really want Berserk to get a HxH 2011 type treatment where more of the story is adapted. Unfortunately I think the story is still much too far from being completed for something like that to happen.

Top Bottom