• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Helmholtz

If you're reading it in 5 minutes , you are reading it way too quickly man. Don't rush it. A good way is actually to dissect the episode through discussion. That helps me.

But that feeling about the pace usually emerges because of the slow release format (accentuated when there's years between episodes) If you read it continuously , it doesnt really reads as slow paced. Quite the contrary. I think the point of view shift the story had in the last couple of years is very fresh too.

Perhaps waiting for a volume is better. Even so , at 5 minutes per episode that's like 45 minutes eheh.
5 minutes was a bit of an exaggeration :p. I just meant it's tough waiting a month for a small amount of content. But I guess we're all in this together! At least for now it's being released consistently.
And yeah... I kind of groaned at Erica running outside.

cyborg009

Banned
Rakshas has also vowed to kill him, something he reiterated on this chapter. By far the most interesting of the apostles we've seen so far. And his monster form hasn't even come up yet.

When he got caught on fire people on r/berserk said that was his monster form.

When he got caught on fire people on r/berserk said that was his monster form.
I didn't realize he transformed until after listening to the discussion on 340 in the Berserk podcast, I had to check again, many people still think he hasn't transformed and I don't blame them, Rakshas was already wierd and non human so he just became bigger I think.

Tizoc

Slightly off topic but Gigantomakhia is releasing in English as Giganto Maxia.
I plan on picking it up in coming months once my finances settle a bit :x

I think it's time for an update.

I'm going to stop doing my volume reviews because to be perfectly honest, it takes up way too much time and I can't be bothered anymore. 15 of them is enough. Anyway, I've now read 22 volumes (wow at the reunion) and I'm still blown away with just how consistently incredible this is. Absolutely everything it does such as writing, overall plot, scale, world building, pacing, characters, back stories, comedy, sadness, depth, themes, foreshadowing and symbolism are all done perfectly.

I honestly didn't know something could be this good! Miura is a genius. It's obvious he's meticulously planned this all very carefully. After every volume I read I watch video reviews from 'Chibi Reviews' and 'AnrikuZer0 Reacts' on YouTube because every single damn volume is worth analysing. When I'm not reading a volume I'm probably still thinking about a volume! This masterpiece sticks with you.

cyborg009

Banned

I'm going to stop doing my volume reviews because to be perfectly honest, it takes up way too much time and I can't be bothered anymore. 15 of them is enough. Anyway, I've now read 22 volumes (wow at the reunion) and I'm still blown away with just how consistently incredible this is. Absolutely everything it does such as writing, overall plot, scale, world building, pacing, characters, back stories, comedy, sadness, depth, themes, foreshadowing and symbolism are all done perfectly.

I honestly didn't know something could be this good! Miura is a genius. It's obvious he's meticulously planned this all very carefully. After every volume I read I watch video reviews from 'Chibi Reviews' and 'AnrikuZer0 Reacts' on YouTube because every single damn volume is worth analysing. When I'm not reading a volume I'm probably still thinking about a volume! This masterpiece sticks with you.

Can you just grab all the post you did beforehand and put them in a single post.

Veelk

Banned
He got in a lot of depth into his main character with the few chapters he had. He established him as a strong but respectful dude of others culture, and he set up the world as a very interesting place.

Man, I would never want to be a mangaka specifically for the problems they face. they have to work on the same story for years on end, and that goes ten times for perfectionists like Miura that give so much detail to their art. But for all that, he produces some of the best work on the market.

Can you just grab all the post you did beforehand and put them in a single post.

RYnuaOsm.jpg

* Guts is insanely badass!
* I'm really liking Puck so far. His comedy is welcomed.
* The overall atmosphere is amazing. It totally sucks you in.

3HEHNWct.png

xZLtN6im.jpg

* Some spectacular gore in this volume thanks mainly to The Count.
* I found some of the action in this volume a little hard to follow at times.
* I really wanted Guts to
save Vargas.
* Dat Zondark
transformation!
* I'm glad I watched the anime/movies before starting the manga. So much makes more sense at the moment.

SMkfxMrt.png

X80R3gXm.jpg

* Wow at Guts using
his mouth to swing his sword!
* My jaw was on the floor at the
goat/orgy
reveal!
* The Count. What a tragic character.
* Poor Theresia. I was so glad Guts
showed some sorrow towards her
as he was walking away.
* Dat Golden Age arc art upgrade!
* The amount of mature themes and general tone in this volume was nuts! What a ride!

3HEHNWct.png

p2QLiorm.jpg

Donovan
got exactly what he deserved!
* That two page spread of Guts looking up at the night sky right before he was
attacked by wolves
was gorgeous.
* That whole nightmare with
Shisu as a dog.
Yikes!
* "Are you a homo?" "Fag boy." Haha, wow! That kind of came out of nowhere.
* The Guts fight with Griffith was the highlight of the volume.
Guts biting the sword
= badass.

SMkfxMrt.png

35aQxUjm.jpg

* The art! It has already improved so much! I went back and had a quick look at volume 1 again and the difference is huge.
* Guts is only 18? Really? He looks older. He looked older than 15 in the last volume too.
* The Nosferatu Zodd fight was so damn good! Him
using his severed arm to hit Guts
was great.
* The characters are developing wonderfully!

yFjTPyzt.png

ouWYSLfm.jpg

* LOL at Griffith showing Guts a nudie book!
Poor Adonis. Poor Guts.
The feels!
* Loved the vision/nightmare of
Nosferatu Zodd killing Gambino and Guts, essentially mirroring when Guts killed Julius and Adonis.
* I love how layered Guts is. I really like how he can be a ruthless killing machine but also show regret/remorse when warranted.
* Aww, Casca warmed Guts's body and now Guts is warming her body. I never made that connection when watching the anime/movies.

SMkfxMrt.png

sJO5hVvm.jpg

* Guts
killing 100 mercenaries
was a little hard to follow at times, but man was it a gore-fest! Especially
Samson's death.
Brutal!
* Loved when Guts slapped Casca's butt. Her reaction was amazing.
* Boscogn is badass!
* The battle for Doldrey was epic! So much different stuff happening all at once!
* LOL at the random
Puck
appearance when
Adon asked Casca for forgiveness.

SMkfxMrt.png

Lzjei6Vm.jpg

* Loved the
Nosferatu Zodd
appearance!
* Corkus called Guts a "fag." Ouch!
* The Queen is such a cold bitch. Love it!
* Griffith's plot to
kill the Queen and the others was delicious.
I got major Johan Liebert vibes when
the Queen saw him from the burning building.
* Guts in his
assassination
outfit = total badass.
* What the hell at Corkus telling Guts he aimed his bowgun at him during battles! What an ass!
* The emotions were leaping off the pages during
the sword fight between Guts and Griffith. Griffith looked utterly devastated when he lost.

3HEHNWct.png

vFjWh19m.jpg

* Skull Night oozes coolness.
* Wow at Griffith's smirk at the King after
being whipped.
* Holy crap at
the King violating Charlotte!
What a shock!
* Love the way Silat looks. Also,
dem hidden blades in his shoes!
* I really liked
Guts's return.
What an awesome entrance he made.
* LOL at Guts trying to throw Silat's chakram rings!
* Damn at Gut's past with
Donovan and Gambino coming back to haunt him
during his moment with Casca!
* Forget a 6 pack, Guts has a 10 pack!

bW90Nfxt.png

WKcTUt0m.jpg

* "Now...something beyond human knowledge...has begun to stir." Epic! The build up to the eclipse has been incredible! The foreshadowing is fantastic!
* I loved how Casca
grabbed Gut's hand,
then latter
grabbed his cape.
Great character development!
Poor Rickert!
That whole part was great, but damn was it harsh! Also, that demon looked like
The Count!
That
giant serpent
earlier looked familiar too!
* Glad we got some interesting backstrory on who I'm assuming is
Skull Knight.
Could the
5 angels be the Godhand?
* Griffith
putting his hand over Gut's neck to try and choke him
was subtle, but brilliant.
* The
torturer's death
was so satisfying!
* Guts going into rage mode was epic!
* Whoa,
the King
is not looking good at all!
* I absolutely loved everything about the fight with the Bakiraka in the sewer. It was the highlight of the volume! Shame it was cut from the anime/movies.

yFjTPyzt.png

zVHumyym.jpg

* That image of Wyald
raping that poor innocent girl
is burnt into my brain. To then have him and his group
impale all those body parts?
Yikes!
* I liked how traps were set up by The Band of the Hawk as a back up plan. They really thought things through.
* Wyald stopping Gut's sword
with his mouth
and then
punching Gut's horse in the face?
Amazing!
Wyald killing his own men?
Classy!
* Oh my God at the
penis tongue!
* Guts using
that dead body as a distraction
was a nice throwback to when he did it in volume 2 against The Count.
* Dat sword break! Dat brutality! Guts
going stab happy on Wyald
was so damn good!
Wyald's death was something else!
I can't say he didn't deserve
that gory end.
All those
demons dragging him away
was really freaky too!
* I can understand why, but it's still interesting that almost everything in this volume was cut from the anime/movies. The eclipse will only sting more now.

3HEHNWct.png

uPzmqffm.jpg

* Yay! We now get the sound effects translated!
* Wow at Griffith trying to
'rape' Casca.
* That group Rickert ran into was most probably the group Judeau was with! Nice little detail!
Puck!
Loved the part with him and the fortune teller. It set the mood perfectly!
* I never noticed this before, but is that what I think it is on Slan's chest?!
* The Godhand
being behind the mask of the old lady
in the vision shown to Griffith was a very nice touch.
* Griffith's face when
he seals the deal.
Wow!
* The art in this volume was simply spectacular, especially with how detailed all the demons were!
* The deep themes of fate and destiny, the symbolism, foreshadowing, emotions and scale of everything starting to climax in this volume was perfection!

bW90Nfxt.png

J6btxARm.jpg

8gJLl8d.jpg

* Would you look at that? The demon
that killed Corkus
was the same demon that Guts killed in the first few pages of volume 1.
* Judeau's
death hurt.
The way
he protected Casca.
His face
when he got stabbed for the final time.
How
he had feelings for Casca.
My emotions!
* Guts using
that demon horn as a weapon.
Coolness overload!
* Good God at some of the violent images of
heads exploding as Griffith is 'sinking.'
Such a massive sense of dread and doom!
* Are you freaking kidding me with
Gaston's death?!
The Count?! The Count ripped Pippin apart?!
No wonder Guts was so enraged with him in the earlier volumes.
* Yuck! So many
penis demons
near Casca!
* Even though I knew it was coming,
Griffith raping Casca
was hard to look at and seemed to go on forever. Such a wild storm of emotions!
* Now I know why some people say they botched
the rape scene
in the movie. It was all shock value without any of the subtle emotional depth.
Casca being completely broken
now is such a downer. Poor Guts!
* I felt sorry for Guts when he was running away and
thinking of everyone who died.
It reminded me of when he was running away after
killing Gambino.
* Guts
has a new dream.
"Should anyone trample that dream...he would oppose him body and soul...even if the threat were..."
We've come full circle!
* So much to take in with this artistically stunning masterpiece of a volume. I can't stop thinking about it! I need time to process it and for it to all sink in.

bW90Nfxt.png

ZevdZiym.jpg

* I really liked how
the demon baby prevented the evil spirits from attacking Casca
and how
it sucked her brand of sacrifice,
but yeah, very messed up!
* Oh man! Gut's face when he tried
to kiss Casca and she pushed him away
was devastating. They had
come so far too!
* That demon that showed up at Godo's house got absolutely obliterated!
The red lake = The Band of the Hawk?
* Wow at
the ritual of sacrifice on that tree involving intestines!
* Badass alert! It was so cool when lightning revealed Guts in his robe sitting under the tree and for him to then
casually cut that bandits tongue.
* Dat
tree transformation!
* LOL at finding out Puck was behind
throwing the needle balls.
Very memorable re-introduction!
* "Ske...daddle." I literally LOL'd when Puck said that when he wanted Guts
to run from the angry mob.
Puck's face was priceless. I love him!
* Between Jill
being beaten and heavily implied to being raped
and her mother also
getting abused,
I'm starting to really think Miura hates females.
* I enjoyed Berserk The Prototype. It was a cool little story. It was interesting to see all the small changes. Also, hi Theresia and The Count!

3HEHNWct.png

qsr1efxm.jpg

* Wow at all the
dead burning children
in the barn.
* It's great to see Guts throwing up at
the burning children attacking him,
showing that he still has some humanity. It's refreshing to see in a character.
* Poor Peekaf. I'm willing to bet that story of him really happened.
* LOL at "Betchi, the Behelit."
* Rosine putting
a frog
on Jill's head was cute.
* Dat
ball of corpses!
* Guts killing one of the demon insects with his sword while another one was clinging to the sword was epic!
* LOL at how Puck remembers The Godhand!
* Guts
using his arm cannon and sword at the same time on 2 different demon insects
was badass! He continues to be very clever in combat.
* LOL at Puck's reaction when
he's spotted by the fake elves
and when he notices
he's holding an eyeball.
He's had heaps of funny bits in this volume!
* The Misty Valley is so pretty and peaceful. Oh look, the fake elves are
slaughtering each other!
Disturbing! Especially since
they're only children!
* When Rosine said to Jill "It's okay. I'll make you
into an extra-special elf."
It was surprinsgly emotional.

ZhcFWMxt.png

I can't believe I forgot to mention how amazing the art is!

What's it like seeing the art get progressively better as the series goes on? I read Berserk like nearly a decade ago so I don't remember it being that big a deal at the time, was more engrossed into the story.

What's it like seeing the art get progressively better as the series goes on? I read Berserk like nearly a decade ago so I don't remember it being that big a deal at the time, was more engrossed into the story.

I honestly find it hard to notice most of the time as I'm reading. It's not until I pick up an earlier volume and flick through it do I realise just how far the art has come. The art in the last few volumes has been unreal, and the crazy thing is that I know it's only going to get better! By the way, I could just be going crazy, but I thought volume 20 had a slight dip in quality when it comes to the art.

Fjordson

Should only be a month or so until Medicom's Black Swordsman Guts figure is out. Can't wait, looks pretty dope.

Dark Horse translations are great.
It definitely is.

There's only one size of the Dark Horse releases right?
Yes.

It's crazy. It's just way more detailed, especially in the backgrounds and action scenes. I've been marathoning over the past few months (on volume 25 right now) and it's definitely a noticeable jump. The Golden Age stuff is better than the early volumes and I think it takes yet another jump once you hit like the Tower of Conviction arc.

I really love all the little details Miura puts into all the volumes. All the way back in volume 5 Casca says to Guts "You're just a mad dog!!" In volume 9 Casca says to Guts "I too want a wound...that I can say you gave me." In volume 23
Guts/The Beast of Darkness then bites Casca's breast.
I'm not sure if it was all supposed to be intentionally connected, but still, mind blown!

Mumei

Dark Horse translations are great.

Heh. When I first read the Dark Horse books instead of the scans I'd read (you know the group) years ago, I suddenly understood the characterization and cosmology that was simply opaque when I'd read the amateur translation.

I know nothing about japanese so i can't complain about translations. I've read some of them are not on point as it should be. But the whole Hawk/Falcon should have been clarified with the author. Instead everyone calls them the wrong name because of a translation.

Tacitus_

I know nothing about japanese so i can't complain about translations. I've read some of them are not on point as it should be. But the whole Hawk/Falcon should have been clarified with the author. Instead everyone calls them the wrong name because of a translation.

The early fan translations were just shit. And I'm not just talking about the quality of the translation itself, they must've used something like ms-paint to draw white boxes where to write in the english.

cyborg009

Banned
The early fan translations were just shit. And I'm not just talking about the quality of the translation itself, they must've used something like ms-paint to draw white boxes where to write in the english.

One thing I want to know is it the "band of the hawk" or "band of the falcon"? I loved the the band of the hawk name but then again we have a "Falcon of the Millennium Empire Arc" or "millennium falcon arc". IIRC hawk and falcon mean the same thing in Japanese.

One thing I want to know is it the "band of the hawk" or "band of the falcon"? I loved the the band of the hawk name but then again we have a millennium falcon arc. IIRC hawk and falcon mean the same thing in Japanese.

I believe it's actually Band of the Falcon. It's been known as Band of the Hawk for so long that the Western fans still call it that.

One thing I want to know is it the "band of the hawk" or "band of the falcon"? I loved the the band of the hawk name but then again we have a "Falcon of the Millennium Empire Arc" or "millennium falcon arc". IIRC hawk and falcon mean the same thing in Japanese.

It's Band of the Falcon. Miura is a Star Wars fan. Millenium Falcon arc , Falconia , etc , all seems strange when they translated the band as Hawk. It's Falcon.

Sure , if you are comparing DH with them , they are probably much better.. I used to read Puella translations (a user from skulknight.net) which tended to be slightly better (or so i was told). But watching images and reading lines on a paper...its hard man. It's hard.

Veelk

Banned
I would have prefer to think that Griffith started off with the Hawks, but the new Band is the Falcons. Maybe his is just me, but when I think Hawks, I think badass birds of prey. But Falcons have an air of nobility around them that Hawks lack. Hawks are birds of Warriors while Falcons are birds of Kings.

Just my personal take on it.

Erigu

And Miura said it's Falcon, so...
It's obviously "Falcon" in "Millennium Falcon". Never said otherwise. I'm just pointing out that "Hawk" has officially been used when referring to the group.

I would have prefer to think that Griffith started off with the Hawks, but the new Band is the Falcons. Maybe his is just me, but when I think Hawks, I think badass birds of prey. But Falcons have an air of nobility around them that Hawks lack. Hawks are birds of Warriors while Falcons are birds of Kings.

Just my personal take on it.
Kinda-sorta mine as well (note also how Rickert recently pointed out that the emblem had changed). But it's a bit shaky, considering there's really no difference at all in the Japanese text...

Azuran

Banned
It hurts me when I seen people calling them Band of the Hawk. It makes no sense that Griffith would name everything else Falcon expect for his actual group.

Veelk

Banned
Kinda-sorta mine as well (note also how Rickert recently pointed out that the emblem had changed). But it's a bit shaky, considering there's really no difference at all in the Japanese text...

It's definitely not the case in the actual text of the series, and no translation I've seen have used this distinction either It's just a bit of fanon I'm applying to make the world more cohesive and add a bit of symbolism to accompany Griffith's change.

"Everything", as in "Falconia" and... well, just "Falconia", really.

You could just argue he's bird themed in general. His warriors are the hawks, his city is the falcon, one of his knights is a duck...that little girl makes a point of comparing people to other birds. He's a birdy guy.

What perfect timing for this discussion since I've just recently read through volume 23, which is the first volume that changed it from Hawk to Falcon. It confused me because I wasn't sure if it was actually changed as part of the story or if it was just changed because it was simply a more accurate translation from the very start. I guess it's the latter. It's weird though, they changed the arc name yet they still refer to Hawk in the chapters. Why not just leave it at Hawk for the sake of consistency? I guess if you look at it as the new name for Griffith's new team it kinda makes sense.

Mumei

Well, the quality was also bad. They did the oddest things with characters' voices, especially Isidro.

Top Bottom