• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Veelk

Banned
So I quickly decided to go ahead and watch the last movie for the eclipse scene.

Having reread that part of the manga just recently, I could replay it scene for scene. I also looked at the Charlotte sex scene at the end of the second movie.

They made some choices I really agree with. For example, in the manga, when Griffith comes to have sex with Charlotte, he's clearly and totally manipulating her. He comes in, he kisses her, she resists, but eventually gives in. In the movie, they gave her a greater degree of agency. Griffith offers to leave at one point, and when he gropes her, and she resists, he backs off, but then she places his hand on her breast again. It's a far more human depiction of the scene that demonstrates Griffith doesn't JUST see Charlotte as a means to an end. I feel that people often forget that Griffith did value the people around him pre-eclipse. His manga depiction isn't bad either, it shows him more desperate for some measure for control, so his advances despite her resistance make sense. But the movie depicted him in a different kind of vulnerable, where he was looking for acceptance (which he got, but it wasn't enough and not quite what he was looking for in any case) rather than control. And for all the rape it shows, it's good to show charlotte as actually wanting and making sexual advancements of her own volition as way of empowerment. So I actually prefer the movie version of that scene.

Still, I noticed when they cut stuff for time budget reasons. For example, the whole Wyland chase. While I'll agree that Wyland is a character isn't strictly necessary, I thought he made for a great piece of foreshadowing and a false sense of security. After Wyland finally dies, you think "oh, man, what an evil motherfucker. There's got to be a breather period after this, right?"

I also feel they cut some of Griffiths dream sequence, and that was one of the most important parts of it. Granted, it got the same gist of it, but...well, you know, devil is in the details.

And other than some CGness, the movies do the sheer, almost surreal, brutal horror of the Eclipse justice.

I should check that out cause from my perspective it just looked like Griffith was using her as a way to get passed his rejection and defeat from Guts. I honestly thought he just retreated to a person that he had some control over. But if it's something that Charlotte herself wanted that's cool as well, granted it makes sense. She is highly infatuated with Griffith, just didn't know how to show it and towards the end of golden age she showed a lot more agency with her feelings towards him.

Veelk

Banned
I should check that out cause from my perspective it just looked like Griffith was using her as a way to get passed his rejection and defeat from Guts. I honestly thought he just retreated to a person that he had some control over. But if it's something that Charlotte herself wanted that's cool as well, granted it makes sense. She is highly infatuated with Griffith, just didn't know how to show it and towards the end of golden age she showed a lot more agency with her feelings towards him.

Either way, that's true, but the great thing about Berserk is that there are nuances to it. I don't feel any of the characters can be 'pinned down' and summarized as a whole.

So, in either case, yes, he was trying to get passed his rejection. That's obvious. But there is always more to it, this being the way he did it. In the manga, he did exactly that, he went to someone who he had full control over. He could have also gone to Caska, but Charlotte was his actual most powerful ally, since she was going to give him his dream.

I guess I just like it better because whereas in the manga, he did it out of pure desperation and forceful control. With the movie, it's slightly more nuanced, because while he's also manipulating her, it emphasizes the fact that she was a willing agent. Which is true to her character. Princess Charlotte is actually pretty badass if you look at her scenes. She is one of the few women who successfully fought off her would be rapist under her own power and she was much of a participant in Griffith's rescue from the dungeons as anyone. So as much as Griffith is manipulating her, it's good to see that she is also in control of her own actions, and could have kicked griffith out if she wanted to. She could have done it in the manga too, but it's more emphasized in the movie. And, as I said, it shows a different kind of vulnerability in Griffith. By not forcing himself upon her, the insecurity he's showing is a fear of rejection. He's thinking "What if Charlotte rejects me just like Guts did" and when she didn't, he thought it might fill the hole Guts left. It didn't, but it is a more bittersweet scene because this is griffith trying to actually connect to a person more than control them.

They're both good scenes, but I prefer the movies. It's sadder, in a way. It really emphasizes how this should have been a moment of happiness for both of them. And it was for Charlotte, but not Griffith. In fact, after the sex, when Charlotte is asleep, he clutches his shoulders, just like he did after he was finished sleeping with that Baron. He had consensual sex with someone who loved him, and all it reminds him is of the time he debased himself.

But you're also operating under the impression that Griffith actually knows what love is. He's got emotions, but what if the guy really can't process them in real time? There is a bit of a lag there that I don't think Guts actually has.

Veelk

Banned
Griffith is definitely psychologically abnormal. But he does love, it's just a crazy (and I mean dangerous crazy, not sexy crazy) kind of love. For example, there's no doubt in the world that if there is anyone he would have loved, it'd be Guts, right? Well, remember what his thoughts were when Guts was leaving. "I might not be able to withhold my blow. I might kill. But if I can't have him..."

Griffith loves. There is no inkling of doubt about that. As we said before, the Eclipse simply wouldn't have happened unless he did. But who the hell thinks love in an inherently positive or peaceful emotion?

Griffith is definitely psychologically abnormal. But he does love, it's just a crazy (and I mean dangerous crazy, not sexy crazy) kind of love. For example, there's no doubt in the world that if there is anyone he would have loved, it'd be Guts, right? Well, remember what his thoughts were when Guts was leaving. "I might not be able to withhold my blow. I might kill. But if I can't have him..."

Griffith loves. There is no inkling of doubt about that. As we said before, the Eclipse simply wouldn't have happened unless he did. But who the hell thinks love in an inherently positive or peaceful emotion?
You know you do have a point there. Maybe Griffith is just the type that yearns for that self destructive kind of love. Caska and Charlotte love him, just not in that dangerous way. He holds his bond with Guts higher than everything else. He even seemed to take some pleasure in
raping caska in front of Griffith.

Veelk

Banned
You know you do have a point there. Maybe Griffith is just the type that yearns for that self destructive kind of love. Caska and Charlotte love him, just not in that dangerous way. He holds his bond with Guts higher than everything else. He even seemed to take some pleasure in
raping caska in front of Griffith.

Guessing you meant Guts. I wouldn't say that Griffith's love is inherently self destructive, it's more that it's volatile.

Every relationship griffith had was tied to his identity as a controller of people. That much is true. His speech to Charlotte is the most indicative that he thinks of all the Hawks as his pawns to some extent. But Griffith simply would not have lost it as much as he did if he was that detached from Guts himself. I mean, there simply wasn't a point anymore. The War had been won. There was no enemy that he needed Guts to remove that he couldn't either on his own or other Hawks. He had Charlotte's favor and was about to be christened the commander of the White Pheonix Army. He had everything and if he was as pragmatically minded as he believed, one lost soldier, even his best, wouldn't affect him at all.

There's also the other part of that Speech though. Griffith, in defining the Hawks as pawns, also defined what would not be a pawn. What would be a friend. He defined it as someone who pursued their dream no matter what, even if it meant defying Griffith himself. That's why Guts went out on his own, to find his dream. Keep in mind that all the Hawks had their own dreams that they were gaining to pursue through Griffith's influence. The fact that he was carrying all these people's dreams...I think that's what proves that Griffith considered them people. He was aware that he was helping them carry their dreams, and if he defines a friend as someone who works to achieve it, then what can he possibly call the rest of the hawks if not friends when that's what they're doing through him?

This puts him in the irreconcilable position of having to think of the Hawks as beneath him while also having to think of the Hawks as equal to him. If he stops thinking that they're his pawns, then he's overwhelmed by both guilt and shame of everyone who has died in his name and the things he's debased himself to. But if he thinks of them as his friends and equals, he can't think he's some demigod above them.

There are multiple instances where this struggle is clearly demonstrated at the back of his mind, as he just randomly asks Guts if he thinks he's a bad person for killing the court guys and still leaving the money that he paid them. He tries to reconcile the idea that he's a cut-throat bastard with the fact that he is operating by some moral code of decency that makes him not evil. The fact that he is interested in hearing gut's judgement on him is such a significant slip of this identity. Why would someone like Griffith, if he really believed he was above everyone, even bother to think what a pawn like Guts thought of him. Unless Guts wasn't a mere pawn. But he couldn't be his friend either. So what was he?

I imagine he had similar, but less intense relationships with everyone. He certainly thought he was above Caska, but he still appreciate the idea that she cared for him, only to realize far too late that he should have reciprocated that because her hero worship doesn't last in the face of genuine and mutual love that Guts offers. And the same with Charlotte. His reveal of his true thought as to what he considers a friend is an oddly vulnerable position to put himself in. The fact that he was honest with her, with such a perspective that risked putting down even her (since she doesn't seem to have a dream, so was he implying that he views her as lesser) is would be a bizarrely stupid blunder if it was just a calculated move to help further entrap her in his charm. No, he was revealing an honest bit of himself to her, and I don't feel you do that without some level of respect for that person or else complete indifference to their opinion, and we know for a fact that it can't be the latter because Griffith needs her.

This is why I love Griffith. You just can't pin him down. He's a sociopath that's also an empath. He's one of the strongest people ever that is also weak and insecure. He loves each person only as much as he is indifferent to them. He is an impossible quandary of conflicting ideals and opinions that form together something brilliant.

His actions as Femto only become more obscure. I can talk about his rape of Caska too, but you should read up to.....Volume 21 to get the full picture.

Griffith did have feelings, or something resembling them towards Caska, since he daydreamed a scenario where they were together, in a tranquil life. There's also the rather disturbing scene where he's flopping like a fish on top of her sexually, in the wagon, because he feels so powerless. Her pity towards him, and overhearing her conversation with guts, is the final straw that breaks the camel's back and sends him over the edge.

Veelk

Banned
Griffith did have feelings, or something resembling them towards Caska, since he daydreamed a scenario where they were together, in a tranquil life. There's also the rather disturbing scene where he's flopping like a fish on top of her sexually, in the wagon, because he feels so powerless. Her pity towards him, and overhearing her conversation with guts, is the final straw that breaks the camel's back and sends him over the edge.

Is that Griffith becoming humble at last? Or is he merely settling because he has no more options? Did he want Caska to stay with him because he loved her, or because he had convinced himself that she would hero-worship him forever, so he was always an emergency exit?

For me, it's probably a combination of all of it, which is what makes Griffith so complex.

One of my favorite little interactions between Guts and Griffith is when they find Griffith's tortured husk in the cell, and the first thing Griffith tries to do after waking up is try to choke Guts, but Guts doesn't notice because he's too emotional and hugs him.

One thing I absolutely love is how subtle the change in Guts is over the course of several arcs. You're reading chapter after chapter and before you know it your moody, vicious, anti-social loner had become a cocky wise-ass who then becomes a bitter, revenge-driven asshole who then becomes a stoic but warm guardian and mentor figure to a classic DnD party who trades banter with the improbably awesome ship captain.

No seriously tho, Roderick more like Broderick amirite.

Tizoc

One thing I absolutely love is how subtle the change in Guts is over the course of several arcs. You're reading chapter after chapter and before you know it your moody, vicious, anti-social loner had become a cocky wise-ass who then becomes a bitter, revenge-driven asshole who then becomes a stoic but warm guardian and mentor figure to a classic DnD party who trades banter with the improbably awesome ship captain.

No seriously tho, Roderick more like Broderick amirite.

True dat.
Although I had to look him up, Roderick is the bro-est and one of the best characters among Guts' allies. Look at this regal badass
latest

Azuran

Banned
True dat.
Although I had to look him up, Roderick is the bro-est and one of the best characters among Guts' allies. Look at this regal badass
latest

A part of me doesn't want them to leave the boat because it would probably mean less Roderick for everyone and I really don't want to live in that world.

It would've been so easy to have Farnese's fiancee to be some douchebag that makes Guts look favorable in comparison and I was even waiting for the moment where Roderick tips his fedora and demands sex or whatever for being nice but naw the dude is a genuinely awesome dude like, fuck I'd marry him. Shieeet.

Tizoc

^he's a true gentleman what'd you expect.

A part of me doesn't want them to leave the boat because it would probably mean less Roderick for everyone and I really don't want to live in that world.

Roderick looks like a guy who is down for going on an adventure to escape the never changing routines of his life as nobility.
I mean if he's a badass a ship captain, he'd be just as badass on land :p

Is that Griffith becoming humble at last? Or is he merely settling because he has no more options? Did he want Caska to stay with him because he loved her, or because he had convinced himself that she would hero-worship him forever, so he was always an emergency exit?

For me, it's probably a combination of all of it, which is what makes Griffith so complex.
It really sounds like Griffith doesn't do anything for one thing alone, that's actually pretty cool. It's led to some really interesting discussions so far.
One of my favorite little interactions between Guts and Griffith is when they find Griffith's tortured husk in the cell, and the first thing Griffith tries to do after waking up is try to choke Guts, but Guts doesn't notice because he's too emotional and hugs him.
I'm quite sure if Griffith was still able to talk he would've called Guts a bastard at that point. He felt so betrayed by Guts at that point, I think a good part of Griffith felt that Guts stole everything that he earned away from him. Guts had the respect of the Band of the Hawk, Caska's actual emotions and not just her hero worship, he got into that situation in the first place because of how he reacted to Guts' rejection. You can almost just say that Griffith was nothing more than a jilted lover at that point.

Nibel

True dat.
latest

I love how this dude felt like some filler character at first but then developed further and further into a character you give a shit about. I assumed he was going to die quite early but he kept it together and is still rocking on that ship. One of my favorite characters of all those 'new' ones

Tacitus_

I doubt that he'll leave the party without Farneese. And she seems to want to stick with them after she changed her mind at the party.

So I quickly decided to go ahead and watch the last movie for the eclipse scene.

Having reread that part of the manga just recently, I could replay it scene for scene. I also looked at the Charlotte sex scene at the end of the second movie.

They made some choices I really agree with. For example, in the manga, when Griffith comes to have sex with Charlotte, he's clearly and totally manipulating her. He comes in, he kisses her, she resists, but eventually gives in. In the movie, they gave her a greater degree of agency. Griffith offers to leave at one point, and when he gropes her, and she resists, he backs off, but then she places his hand on her breast again. It's a far more human depiction of the scene that demonstrates Griffith doesn't JUST see Charlotte as a means to an end. I feel that people often forget that Griffith did value the people around him pre-eclipse. His manga depiction isn't bad either, it shows him more desperate for some measure for control, so his advances despite her resistance make sense. But the movie depicted him in a different kind of vulnerable, where he was looking for acceptance (which he got, but it wasn't enough and not quite what he was looking for in any case) rather than control. And for all the rape it shows, it's good to show charlotte as actually wanting and making sexual advancements of her own volition as way of empowerment. So I actually prefer the movie version of that scene.

Still, I noticed when they cut stuff for time budget reasons. For example, the whole Wyland chase. While I'll agree that Wyland is a character isn't strictly necessary, I thought he made for a great piece of foreshadowing and a false sense of security. After Wyland finally dies, you think "oh, man, what an evil motherfucker. There's got to be a breather period after this, right?"

I also feel they cut some of Griffiths dream sequence, and that was one of the most important parts of it. Granted, it got the same gist of it, but...well, you know, devil is in the details.

And other than some CGness, the movies do the sheer, almost surreal, brutal horror of the Eclipse justice.

I think the third movie handled the eclipse well, however, when it comes to the
rape
scene I think it's a pretty iffy portrayal. Like I already said in this thread - the movie goes more for shock value over subtlety. In the manga Casca's facial expressions were extremely well done, you could clearly see that she's in pain both physically and mentally and you're not only disgusted, but you want to cry for her too. In the movie it almost comes across like she's enjoying it and it's all a little too bombastic. The music that played wasn't the best choice too I thought.

I think the third movie handled the eclipse well, however, when it comes to the
rape
scene I think it's a pretty iffy portrayal. Like I already said in this thread - the movie goes more for shock value over subtlety. In the manga Casca's facial expressions were extremely well done, you could clearly see that she's in pain both physically and mentally and you're not only disgusted, but you want to cry for her too. In the movie it almost comes across like she's enjoying it and it's all a little too bombastic. The music that played wasn't the best choice too I thought.
Anime did it perfectly, I thought. Of course it was toned down for television, but it still effectively captured the pain and despair in that scene. Plus, "behelit" is better than anything in the movies. "Aria" being the sole exception.

Anime did it perfectly, I thought. Of course it was toned down for television, but it still effectively captured the pain and despair in that scene. Plus, "behelit" is better than anything in the movies. "Aria" being the sole exception.

I completely agree. The music that plays in the anime really does capture the pain and suffering perfectly. It's funny, the anime shows a ton less of the
rape
than the movie does, yet the scene in the anime is still more memorable/effective. The anime just has better atmosphere and much more depth when it comes to that scene. The movie portrayal is shallow in comparison.

Man the theme for the anime is not metal enough for Berserk.
I don't think Berserk needs metal. Hirasawa's work I feel is the perfect score. "Sign" may be my favorite intro song, and that was from a game.

"Tell Me Why" is just an odd song in general, but I kind of like it. "Waiting So Long" feels perfect, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVvhihA9gRc

A modern berserk game would be absolutely to die for.

Jaded, this link is not for you, it has spoilers. To experience the glory of Signs, click this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV26zIE0130

I watched a let's play of the Dreamcast game just a couple of weeks ago and I really liked the part when
Casca recognised Guts for a few seconds.
It was a nice touch. Now I'm watching a let's play of the PS2 game alongside reading the manga. The gameplay looks really repetitive, but the cut-scenes are great. But yeah, I'd take anything when it comes to a new Berserk game. A fighting game similar to Soul Calibur would be amazing!

Moonkid

Even if somewhat a little predictable, what we're getting right now is really dope. Supposedly we switch to the boat next...

New chapter came out.

Rickert with the goddamn bazooka to the dude's face. Knew newer, gentler Miura wasn't going to kill off Erica like that.

"Is the falconia arc over yet so we can go back to asking if they got off the boat" is the new "are they off the boat yet"

Anyone who thought Erica would actually bite it is nuts.

Gentler Miura?

There's going to be another bloodbath before Berserk ends, guaranteed.

The beast is lurking in the shadows, biding its time.

beast-2.jpg

Can't wait. :D

You can't seriously tell me though that he's still at the same tier of kill em' all he was previously, unless you're reading a different manga from the rest of us. Even if Guts loses check on the Wolf Armor and goes ham on his group for the power to off Griffith (which I actually don't think he will), the series still nowhere near as hardcore as it used to be, which I don't necessarily see as a bad thing at all.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
You can't seriously tell me though that he's still at the same tier of kill em' all he was previously, unless you're reading a different manga from the rest of us. Even if Guts loses check on the Wolf Armor and goes ham on his group for the power to off Griffith (which I actually don't think he will), the series still nowhere near as hardcore as it used to be, which I don't necessarily see as a bad thing at all.

You did see events leading up to the advent of Falconia, right? The state of the world afterwards?

We're not in Black Swordsman territory, but it doesn't make Berserk any less "hardcore".

I love that Rickert got his own DnD party to hang with. I also love how Rickerts's magic user is an old guy while Guts's magic user is a little girl
with a weird father complex.

You did see events leading up to the advent of Falconia, right? The state of the world afterwards?

We're not in Black Swordsman territory, but it doesn't make Berserk any less "hardcore".

Yeah, I've read the whole thing. I still argue that he's eased off the gratuitous scenes of violence quite a bit since the early days of the manga. That stuff is still there; it's not like Gigantomakhia (which was also fantastic BTW) where there was no dark themes at all because clearly dark magic entering the world and killing a bunch of folks, and giant demon wars aren't what you'd call light themes. But it seems much more "controlled" in my opinion, like Miura is intentionally saving the more extreme and or violent moments to hit harder when they do happen, instead of just being the entire manga like the Black Swordsman days. And they certainly aren't happening to children like Erica, whereas in the old days I wouldn't have been surprised if she were killed in that encounter. It seems to me more like Golden Age pre-Eclipse than Black Swordsman, where real shit happens but it's not "king of the edge" territory.

I love that Rickert got his own DnD party to hang with. I also love how Rickerts's magic user is an old guy while Guts's magic user is a little girl
with a weird father complex.

Yeah, Schierke is definitely in love with Guts, but she also strongly plays the daughter role in his life. Sucks for her to have gotten feels for a grownup because a daughter is all he'll ever see her as (thank god lol), but yeah.

Yeah, I've read the whole thing. I still argue that he's eased off the gratuitous scenes of violence quite a bit since the early days of the manga. That stuff is still there; it's not like Gigantomakhia (which was also fantastic BTW) where there was no dark themes at all because clearly dark magic entering the world and killing a bunch of folks, and giant demon wars aren't what you'd call light themes. But it seems much more "controlled" in my opinion, like Miura is intentionally saving the more extreme and or violent moments to hit harder when they do happen, instead of just being the entire manga like the Black Swordsman days. And they certainly aren't happening to children like Erica, whereas in the old days I wouldn't have been surprised if she were killed in that encounter.

I feel like Berserk's tone is reflected in Guts's mental state and actions. Like during the Black Swordsman arc, Guts was this rage-filled vengeful guy who constantly suppressed any sense of empathy or humanity in him in order to focus his efforts on killing as many apostles as possible and so because he was hunting them down he ran across some dark shit because he himself was stepping into that darkness. Now he's a lot calmer, he's got a bunch of morality chains around him and he isn't looking for it anymore, so we don't see it as much.

Basically before, he jumped headfirst into a bunch of dark shit for his revenge and so we saw a bunch of dark shit. Now he's sort of escaping that dark shit so he and by extension us aren't in the thick of it anymore. It'll still creep up on us and surprise us but it ain't as prolific anymore because Guts doesn't want anything to do with it.

Tacitus_

It seems to me more like Golden Age pre-Eclipse than Black Swordsman, where real shit happens but it's not "king of the edge" territory.

Yeah, this is just the calm before the storm. Either Griffith will do something stupid that reveals his "utopia" for what it is, or something will happen to Caska. Then shit will go down, hard.

Yeah, this is just the calm before the storm. Either Griffith will do something stupid that reveals his "utopia" for what it is, or something will happen to Caska. Then shit will go down, hard.

Guts needs one more upgrade, even with his Berserker armor he's still no match for elite tier apostles.
Also I want a chapter about Skull Knight and God Hand origins.

So just finished what I think was volume 3. Theresa found out her dad was a grotesque monster only for Guts to eventually decapitate him and then torture his head right in front of her. If that wasn't bad enough they get transported to hell and have to deal with smug douche bag ass Femto as he talks shit to Guts. Then if that wasn't bad enough Guts shit talks her when they get back to reality. I get that Guts wanted to snap her out of suicide but go's damn. Griffith is a bigger ass hat than fucking Dio, Dio at least was fun.

Veelk

Banned
Post-eclipse Griffith gives no fucks.

Also, his helmet looks so weird in volume 3 as opposed to other times it's appeared, but I can't pinpoint why. Othertimes, it looks like it fits his head so tightly that it'd be impossible to pull off, while in 3 it looks like an actual helmet and kinda goofy for it.

Top Bottom