• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

And I'm done... for now. Big thanks to Rowena for helping me with getting book 32. I kind of hope they (whoever are redoing the Berserk mangas) don't do the re-releases anytime soon lol. I will say that they do look a hell of a lot better than these American Dark Horse versions. I think it would be best to pass this series off to another company who will do a better job with editing and translating.

20160727_180950_zps756stwem.jpg
I can only imaging how much all of this cost...don't spill milk on this.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
And I'm done... for now. Big thanks to Rowena for helping me with getting book 32. I kind of hope they (whoever are redoing the Berserk mangas) don't do the re-releases anytime soon lol. I will say that they do look a hell of a lot better than these American Dark Horse versions. I think it would be best to pass this series off to another company who will do a better job with editing and translating.

20160727_180950_zps756stwem.jpg

Careful...

bush.jpg

Kayhan

This chapter - specifically the lines about Falconia just being another stepping stone for Griffith - has made me return to the idea that Griffith will eventually turn on the other members of God Hand down the road. Griffith has a kingdom to himself to ensure the adoration of humanity, which also gives him massive sway over the demons who are yucking it up under his banner. I would not be surprised if he really doesn't want to play nice with Void and Co. and is just waiting for them to outlive their usefulness so he can go Highlander on their asses.

I'm not actually sold on the idea, but it's given me something to chew on.

Griffith Redemption Arc, when?

Mr Git

I tried looking for Berserk 32 on book depository - they're out of stock so redirected to abebooks and it's going for $700 second hand lol.

hm

i think the only time the book ever toyed with depicting redemption was... back with the slug count? Wasn't even redemption, was simply realizing what he had become.

What about when Griffith visited Rickert's field of swords after he got Zodd to follow him.

When Guts asked why he was there didn't Griffith reply something along the lines of "To see if you could persuade my heart"

precisely, that's not redemption. that's griffith checking if guts represents a threat to his ambition. nothing else.

redemption would've been if he tried to make amends. even rickert realizes griffith aint about that life.

Zolo

Eh. I wouldn't say redemption, but I do expect the ending to include a humanizing scene for Griffith at the end where he truly looks back at all he's done to get to where he's at.

Eh. I wouldn't say redemption, but I do expect the ending to include a humanizing scene for Griffith at the end where he truly looks back at all he's done to get to where he's at.
But Griffith 2.0 lacks empathy. I really don't think he's capable of giving a single shit about the repercussions of his actions.

I don't know how that could be done believably. The process for how someone becomes an apostle is described as something like a crack forming in your heart, which evil flows into. The process for becoming a god hand would be more complete, since unlike apostles they aren't just twisted human beings, but demi-gods cast from orders of magnitude more of the same power, so at that point there's really nothing left to humanize or sympathize with.

But that has the potential to be extremely satisfying in an unconventional way. Griffith throwing away his humanity was a perverse act of self-mutilation that he was driven to because of his humanity, and a consequence of that is wondering how he will feel about the bargain (if at all) when he does ultimately fail. Guts and Caska and Rickert won't get any closure, but Griffith won't either, because the Griffith that could offer those things just isn't around anymore. There's a weird kind of dramatic sensibility to that, because at this point we're just sort of watching the consequences of that past decision play out, knowing that the turning point already happened and it was a clear and decisive event-horizon. That's not something that fiction gets to explore a lot, because it's frankly pretty weird to write characters that are decidedly not-human. But everything happening now is just reverberations from the last choice he made when he was human, even though now he isn't anymore. It's a paradox, and trying to make sense of that is where it needs to stay, imo.

Rereading berserk v9
Skull Knight intro

...how in the name of fuck does gaiseric know the exact circumstances of guts's birthday? Legit states that he knows he was born a corpse. Knows that he will most likely survive the eclipse.

Hrm. Theory: Guts is to Gaiseric what Griffith is to Void. The result of years and years of work.

But Griffith 2.0 lacks empathy. I really don't think he's capable of giving a single shit about the repercussions of his actions.

Griffith 2.0....

you do recall back in vol 8 when griffith was trying to stop guts from leaving, and went for a strat that he knew perfectly well that could end up splitting his head in half because "if i can't have him.. i don't care"?

only time griffith ever displayed something akin to sympathy was back when he "saved" caska, and that was her idealized memory of it. Might've just been a lucky coincidence, given that they were gon rob the dude's caravan anyway.

Dude was an asshole with the occasional streak of apparent kindness. that's all.

Veelk

Banned
With the revelation of Griffiths incarnation and this existence as a being that can overlook causality, it might be that the reason Femto had foreseen the events of the Holy See arc. This would explain why he raped Caska, he wasn't just being cruel, he was planting the seed of her child so that he could use it to return to the real world. However, that doesn't come without a price, since the child has affection for his real parents, and therefore prevents him from directly harming them.

So it might be that Griffith doesn't care about Guts or Caska, but needs to not harm them because of the Child's desires.

HStallion

People need to not forget that Griffith 2.0 was reborn from both the Behelit Apostle and the child of Guts and Casca. Whether Griffith himself cares anymore or even feels empathy, we know for sure that the part of him that came from the deformed demonic child is still very much alive and still cares about his parents. Whether Griffith likes it or not, he still has the heart of something good in him and that in the end may very well what brings the tipping point. This if of course won't be a surety until we can figure out just what the hell the Moonlight Child is. Though of course this sets up a whole set of issues for Guts like if the MLC and Griffith are one in the same... can Guts kill his own child?

Veelk

Banned
I notice that's basically a theme of Berserk. Someone compared it to LotR earlier in this thread, and one difference is that in the LotR universe, Evil is weaker than Good but in Berserk, Evil is stronger than Good.

But everyone has good within them. The Slug lord, he couldn't bring himself to sacrifice his own daughter, even at the cost of his life and even his soul (because all apostle souls go to hell). Rosine was a child who wanted a playmate and was only cruel as a retaliation to humanities cruelty. Mozgus believed that he was doing benevolent and altruistic deeds, and even Wyland's hedonism is based on the idea that people deserve to have as much pleasure as possible.

Every instance of evil in the manga isn't evil just cuz, it's evil because it's some good intention that's been twisted into something harmful.

So, then we have Griffith, who as a Godhand has been said to have lost the ability to empathize and hold good will. But as a Godhand, he's not capable of manifesting in the world directly. To do that, he needs to accept some measure of goodwill in his heart, and he does this by accepting Gut's Child's love for his parents.

So, while pure evil exists and dominates the world, it seems one is incapable of existing within the world without goodness in them.

I had always kind of assumed the emotions of the child get stamped out when Griffith is in his...well Griffith form.
Griffith 2.0....

you do recall back in vol 8 when griffith was trying to stop guts from leaving, and went for a strat that he knew perfectly well that could end up splitting his head in half because "if i can't have him.. i don't care"?

only time griffith ever displayed something akin to sympathy was back when he "saved" caska, and that was her idealized memory of it. Might've just been a lucky coincidence, given that they were gon rob the dude's caravan anyway.

Dude was an asshole with the occasional streak of apparent kindness. that's all.
Griffith does seem to care about his men, he just never seemed like the type to stop and chat with each and every individual one. If he didn't care about them then the Eclipse wouldn't have had that much of an effect on him. During the Golden Age he seemed to slip between two masks. The mask of that emotionless thing that he thought he needed to be and the guy that cares. He cared about Guts and Casca, why else would he have felt so betrayed when Guts left and when Casca abandoned idolizing him for the actual love of Guts?

Veelk

Banned
I had always kind of assumed the emotions of the child get stamped out when Griffith is in his...well Griffith form.

Mostly, but not entirely. For example, on the Hill of Swords, Griffith saved Caska from rocks out of pure instinct.

I think he can order his goons to harm Caska and Guts, and I think he might even defend himself against them if they were to attack him, but he wouldn't be able to actually kill them.

Well that's interesting. Going to make the final battle interesting since he really can't kill either Guts or Casca. Makes me wonder if that was a part of his plan that he didn't really anticipate.

Veelk

Banned
Well that's interesting. Going to make the final battle interesting since he really can't kill either Guts or Casca. Makes me wonder if that was a part of his plan that he didn't really anticipate.

It's possible that he has some plan to excise the child and just take over hte body on his own.

Or it's possible that he doesn't. Griffith has a history with Guts and knows he's a capable warrior, but I also possible that he thinks too little of him to be able to put any meaningful halt to his plans. Griffith is basically a God in any meaningful sense of the word, and the only two confrontations he's had with him since he's last seen him was with the Slug lord (where Guts was crippled just by standing next to him) and the Hill of Swords, where Guts couldn't beat down Zodd, who he subdued just by flying by him in his dream.

So even if the child cares for Guts and Caska, he might legitimately not care because he doesn't see them as threats.

HStallion

I honestly expect things on the island to end badly. I just can't see Griffith letting an entire island of magic users, many of them quite powerful, as well the Elf King himself just exist out there, especially when he sent Zodd and Grunbeld plus a small contigent of apostles to take out one old witch. I could even see Griffith coming himself or possible one of the other Godhand showing themselves or something equally as powerful as to counteract the Elfking.

It's possible that he has some plan to excise the child and just take over hte body on his own.

Or it's possible that he doesn't. Griffith has a history with Guts and knows he's a capable warrior, but I also possible that he thinks too little of him to be able to put any meaningful halt to his plans. Griffith is basically a God in any meaningful sense of the word, and the only two confrontations he's had with him since he's last seen him was with the Slug lord (where Guts was crippled just by standing next to him) and the Hill of Swords, where Guts couldn't beat down Zodd, who he subdued just by flying by him in his dream.

So even if the child cares for Guts and Caska, he might legitimately not care because he doesn't see them as threats.
It is pretty hard to threaten a God. Even Ganishka couldn't really intimidate Griffith.
I honestly expect things on the island to end badly. I just can't see Griffith letting an entire island of magic users, many of them quite powerful, as well the Elf King himself just exist out there, especially when he sent Zodd and Grunbeld plus a small contigent of apostles to take out one old witch. I could even see Griffith coming himself or possible one of the other Godhand showing themselves or something equally as powerful as to counteract the Elfking.
Griffith went overkill with taking out Flora. I would assume just either Zodd or Grunbeld would've been enough, but he sent BOTH to stop her. Either she was hyper powerful or Griffith just didn't want any chance of her surviving.

As far as taking out flora, iirc the last chapter explained that his other goal was making sure that that tree she lived in became ash. Freeing up the world tree and allathat.

Griffith does seem to care about his men, he just never seemed like the type to stop and chat with each and every individual one. If he didn't care about them then the Eclipse wouldn't have had that much of an effect on him. During the Golden Age he seemed to slip between two masks. The mask of that emotionless thing that he thought he needed to be and the guy that cares. He cared about Guts and Casca, why else would he have felt so betrayed when Guts left and when Casca abandoned idolizing him for the actual love of Guts?

Because he sees each and every single one of them as his property, to be used by him to advance his own ambition, and for no other goal whatsoever. His own words are that if he can't have them, he doesn't care if they die.

He sacrificed the band of the hawks because that was the only thing he had left to sacrifice.

Veelk

Banned
Because he sees each and every single one of them as his property, to be used by him to advance his own ambition, and for no other goal whatsoever. His own words are that if he can't have them, he doesn't care if they die.

He sacrificed the band of the hawks because that was the only thing he had left to sacrifice.

The Behelits do not work that way. They just don't. For them to qualify as a sacrifice, you have to truly, empathetically, care about them. Which isn't to say that he didn't see them as tools to some extent - in fact, he tried to do this as much as possible, because he felt extremely guilty about everyone who died in his name - but when it came down to it, if he didn't legitimately value them as people, especially at that moment, then the sacrifice would not have worked.

The Behelits do not work that way. They just don't. For them to qualify as a sacrifice, you have to truly, empathetically, care about them. Which isn't to say that he didn't see them as tools to some extent - in fact, he tried to do this as much as possible, because he felt extremely guilty about everyone who died in his name - but when it came down to it, if he didn't legitimately value them as people, especially at that moment, then the sacrifice would not have worked.

Exactly. The sacrifices are a link to their humanity. Also Griffith's motivations for making the sacrifice were a perverse reflection of his humanity, which is why it's tragic in the first place. Everything about Griffith's fall was that he loved Guts (in some fashion) but couldn't handle it. If you miss that then you're missing a ton of gravitas. And that doesn't point to a psychopath, but someone that isn't a psychopath and maybe tries to make themselves into one.

Dude, we get to see into griffith's mind during the year when he is tortured in v10. He flat-out recognizes that the only person he ever gave a real shit about was Guts. Isn't something that's really up for debate, for it is explicitly stated. And yet the sacrifice still worked. From that we can extract that what matters is the willingness to offer something as a sacrifice, and not whether the sacrifice actually happens.

As for how he saw the hawks... add his speech to charlotte about how he doesn't see his followers as friends + willingness to kill that which he can't have + trying to fuck casca to reassert ownership as soon as he realized he lost her.

Dude cares about them in the same way that a slave owner cares about his slaves.

Veelk

Banned
Dude, we get to see into griffith's mind during the year when he is tortured in v10. He flat-out recognizes that the only person he ever gave a real shit about was Guts. Isn't something that's really up for debate, for it is explicitly stated. And yet the sacrifice still worked. From that we can extract that what matters is the willingness to offer something as a sacrifice, and not whether the sacrifice actually happens.

As for how he saw the hawks... add his speech to charlotte about how he doesn't see his followers as friends + willingness to kill that which he can't have + trying to fuck casca to reassert ownership as soon as he realized he lost her.

Dude cares about them in the same way that a slave owner cares about his slaves.

You weren't paying attention then or else have forgotten it. He didn't say Guts was the only one who he cared about, he said Guts was the only one who made him forget his dream. Big difference.

The look into Griffith's mind played out roughly like this: Griffith is playing with other kids when sees a castle in the sky and wants to get it. So he goes after it, and his friend is there....except he realizes that his friend is dead. He's dead because he followed griffith in trying to achieve his dream. Not just him, because Griffith is surrounded by hundreds of people who died in his name. Griffith is horrified by this, but then one of the Godhand reminds him that this is what he wanted and that if he turns back now, all the people that died for him will be for nothing. Griffith acknowledges this rationalization, and puts on a determined face, and throws the body of the kid onto the pile, because that pile needs to be high enough to reach the castle, because if he turns back now, then....

And that's griffith in a nutshell. He cares for them, but he really doesn't want to, so he rationalizes himself as a pure ends justify the means utilitarian. His explanation to Charlette isn't how he honestly views things, but rather the kind of perspective he falls back on when the guilt becomes too much, because he wants to be this cold, callous, uncaring general that is just using his pawns as tools but at his core, he isn't. He's cultivated his entire personality on that archtype, but it breaks in multiple ways. For example, Griffith had to sleep with a count to get funding for his army. As much as he tried to just think of it as a cold exchange of sex for money that was perfectly logical, his actions at the river Caska found him him, tearing his finger nails into his own flesh, showed that he feels violated and ashamed for the act of prostitution that he did. So, griffith cares about them as people, but wants to only care about them as a slave master cares about his slaves. Because if he allows himself to acknowledge and indulge in that kind of view, then he similarly has to acknowledge the mountains of dead behind him.

What Guts did to rock the boat was make him forget his dream in the sense that he got complacent. That's why his imagined life with Caska after he got crippled, one in which he was actually satisfied with, was there. Griffith cultivated his entire personality around persuing his dream with a singleminded determination, and Guts was the only one who made him think "You know...maybe if I didn't get that kingdom, life wouldn't be so bad". It's true that Gut's is definitely the one he cares about the most, because he saw him as an equal. Guts is atleast as extraordinary as him, but he kept trying to think of him as lesser, which is what prompted the episode where he lost to Guts and then slept with Charlotte, leading to his imprisonment. So when he realizes the fundamental affect Guts has had on him, like any unstable individual, when he realizes that the illusion of personality he's cultivated is shattered, he reacts badly. He blames Guts like he violated him somehow, by making him forget his dream, because he so very badly wants to be a monster and isn't one. So he makes the sacrifice required, and truly becomes one as Femto.

Furthermore, if we take your interpretation as true, then Griffith's ascension makes no sense withing the rules of the Berserk universe as we know them. The way the Behilits work is one of the first things established in the story. In the Blackswordsman arc, the Sluglord tried to sacrifice Guts, but they wouldn't take him. Godhand only take what is sacrificed and the only thing that can be sacrificed is loved ones. That's why they didn't attack Guts, not even when he tried to attack them (which he failed because of the mark). Sluglord didn't care about Guts and the Godhand laid out that the only way it works is when you sacrifice someone you care about. In that scenerio, only his daughter qualified, not Guts. So, since Griffith sacrificed everyone except Gut's and Caska, if you're interpretation is correct, we have a giant plothole around the event that the entire story hinges on and literally the entire story makes no sense.

Momentary

Banned
You weren't paying attention then or else have forgotten it. He didn't say Guts was the only one who he cared about, he said Guts was the only one who made him forget his dream. Big difference.

The look into Griffith's mind played out roughly like this: Griffith is playing with other kids when sees a castle in the sky and wants to get it. So he goes after it, and his friend is there....except he realizes that his friend is dead. He's dead because he followed griffith in trying to achieve his dream. Not just him, because Griffith is surrounded by hundreds of people who died in his name. Griffith is horrified by this, but then one of the Godhand reminds him that this is what he wanted and that if he turns back now, all the people that died for him will be for nothing. Griffith acknowledges this rationalization, and puts on a determined face, and throws the body of the kid onto the pile, because that pile needs to be high enough to reach the castle, because if he turns back now, then....

And that's griffith in a nutshell. He cares for them, but he really doesn't want to, so he rationalizes himself as a pure ends justify the means utilitarian. His explanation to Charlette isn't how he honestly views things, but rather the kind of perspective he falls back on when the guilt becomes too much, because he wants to be this cold, callous, uncaring general that is just using his pawns as tools but at his core, he isn't. He's cultivated his entire personality on that archtype, but it breaks in multiple ways. For example, Griffith had to sleep with a count to get funding for his army. As much as he tried to just think of it as a cold exchange of sex for money that was perfectly logical, his actions at the river Caska found him him, tearing his finger nails into his own flesh, showed that he feels violated and ashamed for the act of prostitution that he did. So, griffith cares about them as people, but wants to only care about them as a slave master cares about his slaves. Because if he allows himself to acknowledge and indulge in that kind of view, then he similarly has to acknowledge the mountains of dead behind him.

What Guts did to rock the boat was make him forget his dream in the sense that he got complacent. That's why his imagined life with Caska after he got crippled, one in which he was actually satisfied with, was there. Griffith cultivated his entire personality around persuing his dream with a singleminded determination, and Guts was the only one who made him think "You know...maybe if I didn't get that kingdom, life wouldn't be so bad". It's true that Gut's is definitely the one he cares about the most, because he saw him as an equal. Guts is atleast as extraordinary as him, but he kept trying to think of him as lesser, which is what prompted the episode where he lost to Guts and then slept with Charlotte, leading to his imprisonment. So when he realizes the fundamental affect Guts has had on him, like any unstable individual, when he realizes that the illusion of personality he's cultivated is shattered, he reacts badly. He blames Guts like he violated him somehow, by making him forget his dream, because he so very badly wants to be a monster and isn't one. So he makes the sacrifice required, and truly becomes one as Femto.

Furthermore, if we take your interpretation as true, then Griffith's ascension makes no sense withing the rules of the Berserk universe as we know them. The way the Behilits work is one of the first things established in the story. In the Blackswordsman arc, the Sluglord tried to sacrifice Guts, but they wouldn't take him. Godhand only take what is sacrificed and the only thing that can be sacrificed is loved ones. That's why they didn't attack Guts, not even when he tried to attack them (which he failed because of the mark). Sluglord didn't care about Guts and the Godhand laid out that the only way it works is when you sacrifice someone you care about. In that scenerio, only his daughter qualified, not Guts. So, since Griffith sacrificed everyone except Gut's and Caska, if you're interpretation is correct, we have a giant plothole around the event that the entire story hinges on and literally the entire story makes no sense.

What this guy said. This was actually a really good right up. 100% agreed. Re-reading the entire story again and you realize that he truly cared for his band. But he did care for Guts more so than anyone else. I remember that kid that died during a battle. The one that had the toy soldier. During that scene Griffith genuinely cared about the death of the kid, but saw it as unavoidable and something that he didn't need to brew about due to more deaths and sacrifices that would need to be made in order to achieve his dreams.

Aad

So I finally decided to read this series. Bought the first 4 volumes from book depository last month, searched for volume 5 today and it costs £60 online.

Are these being reprinted or am I out of luck?

So I finally decided to read this series. Bought the first 4 volumes from book depository last month, searched for volume 5 today and it costs £60 online.

Are these being reprinted or am I out of luck?
I think someone mentioned something about new SKUs, but otherwise the original books will not be reprinted.

christ I need to re-read this, slug lord is throwing me for a lope. I have the horrible feeling I read from the end of the first cartoon way back when..

The sacrificial offering to the ceremony is not just a mere lump of flesh and blood.It has to be very important and dear to your heart

He cares about them. He sees a kid dying in the battlefield and is affected by it. Ends up sleeping with Geneon for weapons. He suppresses his emotions. Doesn't make them non-existent. That he ends up seeing Guts in a different way than the rest, doesn't make them meres bags of shit.

He cares about them. He sees a kid dying in the battlefield and is affected by it. Ends up sleeping with Geneon for weapons. He suppresses his emotions. Doesn't make them non-existent. That he ends up seeing Guts in a different way than the rest, doesn't make them meres bags of shit.
Only bag of shit is Corkus lol.

Only bag of shit is Corkus lol.

I kinda like Corkus. He's that guy who is plain mediocre. Next to these grand figures he seems pathetic. But he's just ordinary. And it kinda make sense that he holds some grudges against Guts, both personal (as he becomes less important in the band) and as a group (mostly related to Gut's behavior and unpredictability). He's also one of the guys who really looks up to Griffith, and his reaction to Gut's role (and when he leaves) is pretty damn interesting.

I kinda like Corkus. He's that guy who is plain mediocre. Next to these grand figures he seems pathetic. But he's just ordinary. And it kinda make sense that he holds some grudges against Guts, both personal (as he becomes less important in the band) and as a group (mostly related to Gut's behavior and unpredictability). He's also one of the guys who really looks up to Griffith, and his reaction to Gut's role (and when he leaves) is pretty damn interesting.
"You're leaving? Well fuck you I never liked you any way." Corkus once tried to be something once, but at least he found happiness trying to help Griffith live out his dream.

HStallion

As far as taking out flora, iirc the last chapter explained that his other goal was making sure that that tree she lived in became ash. Freeing up the world tree and allathat.

That's my point though. The wizards even said they gather around the spirit tree's to study and practice their magic. Now you have an entire group of wizards, many of them ancient and powerful as well as an entire Elf Village and the Elf King himself. I just can't see Griffith leaving that place be when he's burning all the spirit tree's to the ground. Not too mention one old lady and her apprentice have caused far more trouble for their enemies than maybe even Guts on several occasions. They are nothing to scoff and a group of well trained ones could no doubt be a nightmare to Griffith. Remember there are other powerful astral entities in the world than just toe God Hand. The Four Elemental Kings could play a huge roll in what is to come.

HStallion

So catching up with the Berserk Musou its kind of sad that the videogame looks far superior to the new anime in terms of visuals.

HStallion

Yeah the more I see and hear about the Berserk Musou the more excited I am getting and I haven't been a big Musou person since the PS2 era though I do play one now and again and heard good things about Hyrule Warriors. I'm just excited because they are covering so much of the manga.

So, is there still someone looking for Berserk volume 5? I was at my local anime shop today and saw it there. If you're in the US and want me to pick it up for you, we could try to work something out. However, I wouldn't be able to go back until next Friday, but I would try to find out if I can hold it for a few days.

HStallion

Damn it. This is what I need. I don't have the space for collecting things. Smh

Honestly at this point I wonder if there is some legal reason why this hasn't happened or something weird like Dark Horse not having the rights to publish it digitally in English or something like that. Makes no sense as it would no doubt net them a decent bit of new revenue from people like yourself. Personally I know a ton of people who would love to get into Berserk but don't want to to buy physical copies, let alone search for the out of print ones and pay the exorbitant prices that can come of that.

Top Bottom