• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Kaizer

Banned
Hey guys, been reading through Berserk these past weeks and I'm currently in the middle of Vol. 22 - literally on the page where Schierke is being introduced for the first time & I'm still quite confused on something. I don't really get what's happening with Griffith I thought he was a demon & part of God Hand now, but then he hatched from an egg? - Is he still Femto? Was he reborn from that egg like creature during the Tower of Conviction Arc? Should I just keep reading and they'll tell me eventually what's going on?

Seesaw15

Hey guys, been reading through Berserk these past weeks and I'm currently in the middle of Vol. 22 - literally on the page where Schierke is being introduced for the first time & I'm still quite confused on something. I don't really get what's happening with Griffith I thought he was a demon & part of God Hand now, but then he hatched from an egg? - Is he still Femto? Was he reborn from that egg like creature during the Tower of Conviction Arc? Should I just keep reading and they'll tell me eventually what's going on?

I mean you should definitely keep reading but Mirua hasn't explicitly said what Griffith is now and how much of the old Griffith remains.

Also, don't forget he's part Guts and Caska fetus demon baby too.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I'd say just keep reading. You're about to get a serious info dump from Flora.

Yes, he's still Femto, but being reborn from the egg apostle using the demon fetus allowed him to exist on the physical plane.

This is the Griffith that I affectionately call "Griffith 2.0." He's leaner, meaner, prettier and even gives less of a fuck than the original did.

Grudy

I've been avoiding both threads and not watching the anime until I can read a good amount of the manga and my volumes should be arriving this week. This wait has been killing me, I wanna get into it already!

Been keeping myself busy by reading the Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. That also has a dude with a B.F sword but it's so frustrating to read. I wanna go back to Berserk :(

HStallion

I've been avoiding both threads and not watching the anime until I can read a good amount of the manga and my volumes should be arriving this week. This wait has been killing me, I wanna get into it already!

Been keeping myself busy by read the Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. That also has a dude with a B.F sword but it's so frustrating to read. I wanna go back to Berserk :(

We even get a new episode of the manga in a few weeks.

Mr Git

Personally I know a ton of people who would love to get into Berserk but don't want to to buy physical copies, let alone search for the out of print ones and pay the exorbitant prices that can come of that.

I'd tell them to just find and read scanlated copies online. Scruples be fucked, Dark Horse aren't helping themselves at all and paying hundreds of dollars for a second hand volume doesn't exactly support Miura. I would love to buy and own all the volumes but it's currently not feasible.

I'd tell them to just find and read scanlated copies online. Scruples be fucked, Dark Horse aren't helping themselves at all and paying hundreds of dollars for a second hand volume doesn't exactly support Miura. I would love to buy and own all the volumes but it's currently not feasible.
image.php

Man, "scruples be fucked" really fits your avatar.

Haunted

Griffith Redemption Arc, when?
Well, not redemption, but Griffith turning on at least some members of the (now actually manifest in the physical world?) God Hand seems like a given, because no one fucking else in the manga is set up to deal with any of them save for the Skull Knight.

Mr Git

image.php

Man, "scruples be fucked" really fits your avatar.

Ha! What can I say, Revy's my spirit animal.

I dug out my DVD and rewatched the 97 series over the last 2 days. Forgot how long it had been since I saw it (about a decade :s) and had forgotten how much character detail they'd gone into, definitely puts the recent films to shame. I was wondering though how a live action adaptation would work. If you guys had one, would you start with the Black Swordsman arc, or would you go straight from the Golden Age and let the catastrofuck be a viewer surprise?

I dug out my DVD and rewatched the 97 series over the last 2 days. Forgot how long it had been since I saw it (about a decade :s) and had forgotten how much character detail they'd gone into, definitely puts the recent films to shame. I was wondering though how a live action adaptation would work. If you guys had one, would you start with the Black Swordsman arc, or would you go straight from the Golden Age and let the catastrofuck be a viewer surprise?
I think I'd start from Golden Age and let the fucking insanity that ensues in the Eclipse be a surprise. I mean people freaked the fuck out over the Red Wedding, at least those guys weren't eaten alive and torn to shreds in some sort of cosmic buffet orgy. It would be impossible to cast though. You'd pretty much have to cast the hottest flat chested woman alive to play Griffith and you'd probably have to CGI Guts or something cause I can't imagine finding a guy ripped enough to portray him on top of being a charismatic actor. Same could be said for kid Guts.

HStallion

I'd say just do it like the 97 anime did. Give us the start as Guts as the Black Swordsman against the Snake Count and then jump into the Golden Age arc. The budget would have to be huge or they would have be very clever with how they filmed and did certain scenes. On top of that casting would be interesting. I think it would be good to do a huge casting call and just find talented hungry unknown actors to play the parts.

I'd say just do it like the 97 anime did. Give us the start as Guts as the Black Swordsman against the Snake Count and then jump into the Golden Age arc. The budget would have to be huge or they would have be very clever with how they filmed and did certain scenes. On top of that casting would be interesting. I think it would be good to do a huge casting call and just find talented hungry unknown actors to play the parts.
"We need to cast a woman that can talk in a man's voice, bust size: nonexistent, must be charming as fuck."
"We need a beefcake that can portray being emotionally tortured and grunt convincingly as well as being charming in a stoic fashion while also being emotionally vulnerable. Must be able to swing this huge ass prop sword with one hand and jump all over the place."

HStallion

"We need to cast a woman that can talk in a man's voice, bust size: nonexistent, must be charming as fuck."
"We need a beefcake that can portray being emotionally tortured and grunt convincingly as well as being charming in a stoic fashion while also being emotionally vulnerable. Must be able to swing this huge ass prop sword with one hand and jump all over the place."

Well you know they're basically going to give the dude a broom handle painted Chromakey Green so they can add the Dragon Slayer in later.

Mr Git

I think purely on casting I'd go for starting with the Golden Age - if you could make two live action series of that it'd give time for whoever played Guts to beef up over a few years, with maybe some CGI wizardry to make them look younger for the start. Like what they did to Michael Douglas in Ant-Man, although probably not as extreme. It'd definitely be better with relatively unknown actors though, agreed. Especially considering it would probably be a 10 year + commitment.

Broom handle makes "clang" sound on set.

There's that scene in the 97 anime when Guts has killed off the kidnappers and picks up the coin purse and juggles it slightly. In my head I heard the CLANG CLANG CLANG and couldn't stop laughing.

/crying

I saw that the other day and it was definitely the cause of my mind's pan. I love the internet.
This has been the funniest thing I've seen all week. The new anime is atrocious, but the jokes that have come from it are gold. I don't watch it and take it seriously, I just watch it and hop on here looking to see what people say about it.

Mr Git

Does anyone else occasionally go *I think I'll just take a moment and re-read that chapter as it's been ages* and then hours have gone by and you've read three volumes.

HStallion

Does anyone else occasionally go *I think I'll just take a moment and re-read that chapter as it's been ages* and then hours have gone by and you've read three volumes.

I let a friend read some of the first volumes when he was over at my place for a weekend and found out he'd finished like 30 something volumes by the next week lol

The last thing I remember from reading the manga was when a witch gave Guts some kind of salve to cover up the brand. IIRC that was almost a decade ago. About what volume was that in?

Secondly, while I don't think this would ever have a traditionally "happy" ending
if it ever ends
, do you guys think Guts will actually get his revenge? I really hope so...

HStallion

The last thing I remember from reading the manga was when a witch gave Guts some kind of salve to cover up the brand. IIRC that was almost a decade ago. About what volume was that in?

Secondly, while I don't think this would ever have a traditionally "happy" ending
if it ever ends
, do you guys think Guts will actually get his revenge? I really hope so...

That was episode 200, Volume 24. We are at Volume 38 currently with new episodes releasing monthly. The manga will be releasing Episode 346 in about 2 weeks and a lot has happened in the story, like metric fucktons of stuff.

That was episode 200, Volume 24. We are at Volume 38 currently with new episodes releasing monthly. The manga will be releasing Episode 346 in about 2 weeks and a lot has happened in the story, like metric fucktons of stuff.

Cool, thanks. I've read some spoilers on here and that's actually what's piqued my interest again after all this time. Lots of catching up to do...

Mr Git

I let a friend read some of the first volumes when he was over at my place for a weekend and found out he'd finished like 30 something volumes by the next week lol

That is an impressive binge. Probably the best way to spend a week off.

Holy shit man that was about 13 years ago :D You've got an enjoyable ride ahead!

That is an impressive binge. Probably the best way to spend a week off.

Holy shit man that was about 13 years ago :D You've got an enjoyable ride ahead!

Haha yep! Some of the spoilers I've read...I can't even imagine how they come about. Should be interesting.

Tizoc

My fellow gaffers
During my boredom at work i realized that we are living in a post 'new berserk manga chapter is releasing in 2 weeks' time' world
And what anwonderful world it is

Famassu

My fellow gaffers
During my boredom at work i realized that we are living in a post 'new berserk manga chapter is releasing in 2 weeks' time' world
Until it's announced in September or October that the next chapter will be released in April 2017.

HStallion

My fellow gaffers

Yeah I'm guessing we get another info dump and maybe more introspectiveness from Guts and crew about what they're doing and how far they've come. I don't even think we'll meet the Elf King this upcoming chapter.

Grudy

Currently reading volume 18, the "Tower of Shadow" at the torture room..

What. The. Fuck. Miura is mental. Him and freakin' Mozgus.

Grudy

Hey. Don't look at Miura. Those were real machines made by people back in the old ages.

I haven't seen stuff like this since I played Amnesia a while back; but even so, it's more horrifying when there are people being tortured instead of showing them as props.

By the way, I am reading the DH translations and I have seen mentions of Albion (a word which directly refers to England afaik) and the Holy See. Couple with the fact that criminals and such were tortured as punishment at the Tower of London way back when (probably the basis of the tower in Berserk, though the tower of conviction looks nothing like it) , do these names have any significance? I doubt Miura is insinuating that Berserk takes place in an alternate version of the real world but I wonder why he didn't take some time to come up with alternate names. It was a bit distracting the first time I read them.

Grudy

Me reading volumes 19 & 20:

giphy.gif

Then whenever Guts shows up:

219fa5aa141805491600461570_700wa_0.gif

This shot from Vol. 19 has to be my favorite so far. Spoilers if you are currently reading through them for the first time:

Mr Git

I haven't seen stuff like this since I played Amnesia a while back; but even so, it's more horrifying when there are people being tortured instead of showing them as props.

By the way, I am reading the DH translations and I have seen mentions of Albion (a word which directly refers to England afaik) and the Holy See. Couple with the fact that criminals and such were tortured as punishment at the Tower of London way back when (probably the basis of the tower in Berserk, though the tower of conviction looks nothing like it) , do these names have any significance? I doubt Miura is insinuating that Berserk takes place in an alternate version of the real world but I wonder why he didn't take some time to come up with alternate names. It was a bit distracting the first time I read them.

I think Miura just used a lot of real things, places and names (as well as folklore obviously) from Medieval Europe as inspiration - the Vatican = Holy See, Midland is very much France, Skellig is a real place etc. Same for names e.g. Griffith. I don't think there's any significance particularly, in the same way there's not really any significance (besides inspiration) of A Song of Ice and Fire basically being a medley of medieval Britain.

HStallion

There are some great breakdown's on Miura's dedication to recreating a lot of styles, even in an exaggerated sense, of armors, weapons, clothing, even naming from history. Even things like the armor on horses for the Kushan Empire's foot soldiers is actually pretty spot on to real life examples. Same with knights armor, etc. He's pretty methodical with all this even his magic is based on alchemy and Hermeticism. He puts his own spin on things but the man's research is pretty damn spot on, even stuff like Silat's crazier weapons are based on real world versions.

HStallion

Images and spoilers from Episode 346 are leaking. Starting to look like Berserk of the Rings or maybe the Guts, the Griffith and the Wardrobe.

Top Bottom