• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

nin1000

Banned
Hello fellow berserk-gaf readers. I have started reading this Manga online in June this year and have taken it very slowly. I am currently shorty after chapter 190 and i am loving it. I have been reading it online until now but I want to do the art justice and read it properly as a Manga. I would love to read it in the best quality possible but I heard that there are no hardcovers available. What is the best Manga version of berserk here in germany? I don't kind dropping mad cash on this masterpiece since it is worth it.

Where can I obtain this Manga in the best and non paperback version?

Help me out :(

Famassu

Very few manga is ever released in hardcover format. The only hardcover ones I have are Uzumaki and Vinland Saga. Not sure about other language releases, but English Berserk has never been released in hardcover.

nin1000

Banned
Very few manga is ever released in hardcover format. The only hardcover ones I have are Uzumaki and Vinland Saga. Not sure about other language releases, but English Berserk has never been released in hardcover.

This saddens me,since the art in this Manga is one if not the best I have ever seen. I want to do it justice.

Edit : to clarify I was looking at a bigger release. Something like with Akira.
5633265801_3d74379473.jpg

Famassu

So far, no big book editions either (in English), though I think they've recently announced (or even released) some kind of bigger-sized re-prints (3 volumes in 1 compilation?) in Japan, IIRC, so maybe those will make their way to the west some day?

Grudy

Hello fellow berserk-gaf readers. I have started reading this Manga online in June this year and have taken it very slowly. I am currently shorty after chapter 190 and i am loving it. I have been reading it online until now but I want to do the art justice and read it properly as a Manga. I would love to read it in the best quality possible but I heard that there are no hardcovers available. What is the best Manga version of berserk here in germany? I don't kind dropping mad cash on this masterpiece since it is worth it.

Where can I obtain this Manga in the best and non paperback version?

Help me out :(

I know German translations are available on the market, but I will highly recommend the Dark Horse volumes. The translations are very well done and the art is notably better than reading them online. They are costly though. I am missing 3 or 4 volumes right now and have spent upwards of about $450.

Fucking worth it though.

Edit: Best online stores I found (thanks to the members here who pointed me there):

1. http://www.bookdepository.com/ (Doesn't have all the volumes, but they have free international shipping).
2. http://www.instocktrades.com/

Instocktrades has amazing prices but due to costs of shipping I ordered the bulk of my volumes from bookdepository. Both shipped me new plastic-covered volumes and without any delays. You should, however, check any local stores in your area, even online, as you might find better deals.

Edit 2: By the by, I know we are not supposed to explicitly link to online reading sites but I did find one website that has complete scans of the Dark Horse volumes, at least as far as I have read. If anyone wants the link they can PM me.

Which is a shame because back in 2003/4, Dark Horse released a couple hardcover editions of a few manga titles, like Hellsing and Trigun, but I don't think they did one for Berserk.

nin1000

Banned
I know German translations are available on the market, but I will highly recommend the Dark Horse volumes. The translations are very well done and the art is notably better than reading them online. They are costly though. I am missing 3 or 4 volumes right now and have spent upwards of about $450.

Fucking worth it though.

Edit: Best online stores I found (thanks to the members here who pointed me there):

1. http://www.bookdepository.com/ (Doesn't have all the volumes, but they have free international shipping).
2. http://www.instocktrades.com/

Instocktrades has amazing prices but due to costs of shipping I ordered the bulk of my volumes from bookdepository. Both shipped me new plastic-covered volumes and without any delays. You should, however, check any local stores in your area, even online, as you might find better deals.

Edit 2: By the by, I know we are not supposed to explicitly link to online reading sites but I did find one website that has complete scans of the Dark Horse volumes, at least as far as I have read. If anyone wants the link they can PM me.

Thanks you so much for this. My wallet is ready!

Guys, Casca might be healed as early as the next chapter! I repeat! CASCA MIGHT BE HEALED AS EARLY AS THE NEXT CHAPTER! It feels as if a chapter has been skipped after looking at chapter 346. I mean from the very first page of chapter 346 the group are already in the tree of Elfhelm! I thought for sure we'd get a few more chapters of them all having a conversation at the table, but nope. Things are moving so quickly! The promised time is now right in front of us! I'M SO DAMN EXCITED!

Grudy

What are your thoughts on the Vinland saga? Is it worth buying? I'm really interested in its art from what I have seen.

Tarkus

Guys, I've fallen in love with Berserk! Too bad I can only find 28 episodes of anime and 3 movies that seem to retell the anime.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Guys, Casca might be healed as early as the next chapter! I repeat! CASCA MIGHT BE HEALED AS EARLY AS THE NEXT CHAPTER! It feels as if a chapter has been skipped after looking at chapter 346. I mean from the very first page of chapter 346 the group are already in the tree of Elfhelm! I thought for sure we'd get a few more chapters of them all having a conversation at the table, but nope. Things are moving so quickly! The promised time is now right in front of us! I'M SO DAMN EXCITED!

Its about damn time haha! This episode looks crazy by the way. Miura is going full on high fantasy. I'm waiting for Elrond to walk out and start talking about a ring.

Famassu

What are your thoughts on the Vinland saga? Is it worth buying? I'm really interested in its art from what I have seen.
It's really great. It's more historical (viking era) fiction than dark fantasy like Berserk and it tackles themes like revenge, slavery, pacifism, the cultures of that particular era & the clash of them pretty well so far. Has some pretty great twists to the story as well, doesn't save any punches and it isn't afraid to go to completely different directions with the story than what you start with. If the story keeps developing as well as it has so far & quality stays as high, I think it'll easily exceed Berserk (if it hasn't already...). Just don't necessarily expect it to be filled with action throughout the story (it's nowhere near as action-heavy as Berserk overall, even if at start its reminiscent of Golden Age era Berserk) and you'll be fine.

HStallion

So it seems like it may be the Queen of the Cherry Blossom Storm. Also fucking Puck and Magnifico scheme haha

nin1000

Banned
What the hell is going on ?
Is this manga that hard to get ? I have now looked up several pages and the aviability of certain volumes seems to be non-existent. Its almost like a hunt. Ordering certain volumes from one site , then going to a different site and doing the same until all of them are at one place.

Yes, 'healed'..... I'm sure this will all go well.

Oh god Magnifico has a use?!

Maybe she'll turn into a snail with legs, but get her memories back.

Which memories? Before, during or after the eclipse?

My prediction is she doesn't remember anything that happened since the eclipse while she has been insane.
She may or may not be angry with Guts but I think she's going over to Griffith's side. Hey it's Berserk, she might just die instantly.

My prediction is she doesn't remember anything that happened since the eclipse while she has been insane.
She may or may not be angry with Guts but I think she's going over to Griffith's side. Hey it's Berserk, she might just die instantly.
I would assume all. Though the anime makes it seem like she's a vcr set on record, but there's no VHS tape in there.

Guts by Tetsuo Hara

KvNFQy8.jpg

Beautiful
I'm going to assume Tetsuo Hara drew Fist of the North Star cause that dude straight up looks like Kenshiro. Would Kenshiro even need a sword if he was in Berserk? I just imagine him YATAYATAYATAYATAYATAing everything in that universe and then they just fucking explode.

HStallion

I'm going to assume Tetsuo Hara drew Fist of the North Star cause that dude straight up looks like Kenshiro. Would Kenshiro even need a sword if he was in Berserk? I just imagine him YATAYATAYATAYATAYATAing everything in that universe and then they just fucking explode.

He co authored Fist of the North Star. Miura also did a Manga collab with Buronson.

HStallion

There are translations of the new episode up on Skullknight.net and Miura is now applying some cosmological metaphysics to the world of Berserk as well as some heavy doses of High Fantasy. The idea of "weight" as an element along with fire, water, etc. is not only really interesting but some high concept stuff that I love Miura for putting into Berserk. From the sounds of it "weight" can both describe actual weights for things but also the weight of the metaphysical. The creatures of Elfheim are very light "weight" because of how happy, free and unconcerned with things they are and they notice how much "weight" Guts has and its not surprising, the dude has seen and done some serious serious shit.

Miura's world building is world class.

There are translations of the new episode up on Skullknight.net and Miura is now applying some cosmological metaphysics to the world of Berserk as well as some heavy doses of High Fantasy. The idea of "weight" as an element along with fire, water, etc. is not only really interesting but some high concept stuff that I love Miura for putting into Berserk. From the sounds of it "weight" can both describe actual weights for things but also the weight of the metaphysical. The creatures of Elfheim are very light "weight" because of how happy, free and unconcerned with things they are and they notice how much "weight" Guts has and its not surprising, the dude has seen and done some serious serious shit.

Miura's world building is world class.
"Guts, why do you weigh five tons?"
"I have seen some shit."

HStallion

"Guts, why do you weigh five tons?"
"I have seen some shit."

The supernatural creatures of Elfhelm actually comment on the fact that Guts has such a weight to his being compared to their lives. Even gravity is "lighter" on Elfhelm because of this.

HStallion

Gonna suck when a bunch of demons come and wreck the place.

Unless Griffith is leading an army of apostles himself or the God Hand shows up I'm not sure what they'd do to an entire island full of "good" supernatural creatures and a town packed full of powerful wizards and witches.

Unless Griffith is leading an army of apostles himself or the God Hand shows up I'm not sure what they'd do to an entire island full of "good" supernatural creatures and a town packed full of powerful wizards and witches.
I can actually see Griffith stamping the village out on the front lines. This would be too big of a project not to supervise personally.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

77OWp3O.jpg

Zolo

We still have to have a chapter or two going over the implications of healing Casca, but yeah. It'll have pretty much been about 20 years now since the eclipse.

I know this is Berserk and that very dark, twisted stuff happens, but Casca going back to Griffith? It keeps being mentioned, but I can't see it happening. Why would she go back to the man who completely destroyed her life? I know she was once very devoted to him, but to go back to him now would be really out of character.

But could you imagine, Guts holds Casca in his arms. The healing process is done. Casca slowly opens her eyes and looks at Guts. "G....G...." Guts begins to smile as he waits for Casca to say his name. The chapter then ends. When the next chapter comes out, on the first page we go back to Casca trying to speak. "G....Griffith...." BOOM!

I know this is Berserk and that very dark, twisted stuff happens, but Casca going back to Griffith? It keeps being mentioned, but I can't see it happening. Why would she go back to the man who completely destroyed her life? I know she was once very devoted to him, but to go back to him now would be really out of character.

But could you imagine, Guts holds Casca in his arms. The healing process is done. Casca slowly opens her eyes and looks at Guts. "G....G...." Guts begins to smile as he waits for Casca to say his name. The chapter then ends. When the next chapter comes out, on the first page we go back to Casca trying to speak. "G....Griffith...." BOOM!
That would probably be the moment the Beast takes over and Guts just fucking kills everything till he runs out of blood.

Matsukaze

Casca siding with Griffith makes no sense as a story development, unless it's a tactical ruse meant to lower his guard until he's at his most vulnerable (or if Griffith can leverage using her son's spirit as his conduit in the mundane world, holding it over her head as a means of forcing her to comply with his will).

I'll also go on record as saying that the one to land the killing blow on Griffith at the end of the series shouldn't be Guts, it should be Casca.

Or Puck :p

Tizoc

^You mean GIVING.

Not only that
NEXT CHAPTER IS IN SEPTEMBER!!!!!
Hmm who will Casca side with....

Zolo

I don't see any situation she goes with Griffith. Even before the eclipse, she wanted to stay with Guts, but told him she was staying with Griffith out of pity. If she remembers the eclipse (which she will), she'll have just as (if not more) reason to hate Griffith as Guts does.

HStallion

I like how the wind elementals just freaking grab Serpico and drag him away and Farnese is all upset. Its actually a pretty funny chapter but also has some very interesting ideas tossed in. I'm still waiting for the series to turn int Guts of the Rings at this point since it seems Miura is going full on high fantasy though his designs for a lot of things are far closer to the original folklore.

Erigu

In Japanese the title could be either male or female so it wasn't translators jumping the gun including Hanafubuku King that Dark Horse went with.
That Dark Horse translation is fucking stupid regardless. "Shit, how will I translate that weird Japanese verb? I know! I just won't."

HStallion

That Dark Horse translation is fucking stupid regardless. "Shit, how will I translate that weird Japanese verb? I know! I just won't."

I do think there could be a king but at this point its looking more and more like Danan is who the Skull Knight, Puck and others were talking about. I actually think its cool because Miura was foreshadowing this in the last chapter. Danan hiding in plain sight as a servant, whom everyone ignores in most cases, there to survey the visitors without them realizing who she really was. She even looks to be introducing herself but is cut off by the other wizards.

Top Bottom