• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Why am I not surprised that there are Centaurs in the Berserk universe? There are little fucking goat kids running around playing flutes. It's like Miura opened up a high fantasy fairy tale book and went to town.

I know this is Berserk and that very dark, twisted stuff happens, but Casca going back to Griffith? It keeps being mentioned, but I can't see it happening. Why would she go back to the man who completely destroyed her life? I know she was once very devoted to him, but to go back to him now would be really out of character.

BOOM!

The whole point is that many people don't think she is going BACK into character whenever they fix her. When she gets back her sanity, she isn't going to be the same Casca she once was.

Moaradin

That conversation Guts had with Skull Knight wasn't there for no reason. No way is Casca gonna go back to her old self after being fixed.

Mr Git

Great chapter. Art is fucking on-point as usual, but the amount of detail in those wide shots of all the creatures. Miura can easily do a rabble of high fantasy as he can do a mass of dark, demonic stuff. Puck's siblings too. Oh god.

It'll be interesting what will happen with Casca. Something has to happen as this has been their journey for so long, but she's clearly going to be in a worse state because of it. Or whether the Elf King knows this and asks them if that's really wise. Her brain has shut down as a coping mechanism after all.

That conversation Guts had with Skull Knight wasn't there for no reason. No way is Casca gonna go back to her old self after being fixed.

At the very least, she gets back all the horrible memories of what happened that her brain is blocking and she is basically done and can't continue.

Worst case... I could see her totally losing it and killing herself because she can't deal with it : (

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I wouldn't doubt Miura might spend a few episodes on healing Casca. Its something that the manga has been building up for over a decade. The wizards actually called it something along the lines of "gallery of the mind" so I'm almost thinking of something similar to what Stephen King was doing with characters internal views of their own minds and memories in Dream Catcher. I wouldn't doubt the Elf Queen actually goes into her mind or a representation of it to try and fix things. Maybe even involving Guts and the others.

I wouldn't doubt Miura might spend a few episodes on healing Casca. Its something that the manga has been building up for over a decade. The wizards actually called it something along the lines of "gallery of the mind" so I'm almost thinking of something similar to what Stephen King was doing with characters internal views of their own minds and memories in Dream Catcher. I wouldn't doubt the Elf Queen actually goes into her mind or a representation of it to try and fix things. Maybe even involving Guts and the others.
Elf Queen Charles Xavier now?

Kieli

Why am I not surprised that there are Centaurs in the Berserk universe? There are little fucking goat kids running around playing flutes. It's like Miura opened up a high fantasy fairy tale book and went to town.

I thought we already saw centaurs with Griffith's knights and stuff. Plus that silent archer dude who is wolf-centaur.

HStallion

I thought we already saw centaurs with Griffith's knights and stuff. Plus that silent archer dude who is wolf-centaur.

Those guys are apostles, the centaurs on Elfhelm are actual creatures born that way. Apostles start as human's before bringing the Godhand into their lives through a behelit.

Now I'm just waiting for this fucking thing to make an appearance.
draggadon.gif

Why hasn't Guts fought a giant dragon yet?

HStallion

Oh I didn't just mean her sex. The rest of the package was also surprising. Like the shapeshifting.

Ahh gotcha. If you go back and reread the episode before this one Miura seems to have a couple hints that she isn't as she seems.

Kieli

Well, Berserker Guts can easily take on dragons if they're just overgrown brutish-fire breathing lizards.

If they hearken to the more powerful, intelligent, magic-embued flavour, then they'd be an interesting foe/ally for guts

Ahh gotcha. If you go back and reread the episode before this one Miura seems to have a couple hints that she isn't as she seems.
Bruh where is your teary eyed kawaii Mozgus avatar.
Well, Berserker Guts can easily take on dragons if they're just overgrown brutish-fire breathing lizards.

If they hearken to the more powerful, intelligent, magic-embued flavour, then they'd be an interesting foe/ally for guts
I do want him to fight Smaug. What's more magic imbued and intelligent than something voiced by Cumberbatch?

HStallion

Guts did take a island sized seagod out though he did have his entire crew and the merrows backing him up but still. Dude is going to come back to Midland either way and be wrecking most things that cross his path.

Arkeband

Banned
This latest chapter is beautiful.

And I really hope they don't magically heal Casca, but I've spoken on this before. It would be too clean for such a traumatic event that is/was also the driving force of the protagonist to push forward.

Beautiful chapter, Puck's coup d'etat attempt was hilarious. I think the process of bringing Casca back is going to involve going deep in her mind and asking her if that is what she wants, She will have to decide herself and she's probably going to say no at least at the beginning.

Moonkid

Fuck yeah another chapter. I've always held this belief but probably the defining trait of Berserk that makes it what it is for me is the sense of development from different settings, tone, and perhaps genre. And of course, the characters too. The story has come a very long way and it feels like it's been earned, moving from its humble beginnings as edgy dark fantasy to a relatively more mellow high fantasy adventure.

HStallion

Fuck yeah another chapter. I've always held this belief but probably the defining trait of Berserk that makes it what it is for me is the sense of development from different settings, tone, and perhaps genre. And of course, the characters too. The story has come a very long way and it feels like it's been earned, moving from its humble beginnings as edgy dark fantasy to a relatively more mellow high fantasy adventure.

And another chapter confirmed for next month!

Edit: I do worry things have been on the up for too long in the series. I can totally see Miura pulling the rug out from under things right when they are at their highest. Casca is cured and wants to reunite with Guts but the Beast breaks free and starts running amuck or something along those lines.

Matsukaze

What if Casca's memory is restored and she becomes so consumed by hatred of Griffith that the Berserker armor is like "Yooooooooo girl! I'm jumping ship to you! Let's ditch Guts and go kill stuff!"?

Edit: I do worry things have been on the up for too long in the series. I can totally see Miura pulling the rug out from under things right when they are at their highest. Casca is cured and wants to reunite with Guts but the Beast breaks free and starts running amuck or something along those lines.

Oh man can you picture the beast breaking free and Guts goes berserk on all the elves. We know the armor is cursed but they do not mention the far extent of the curse. We just know it is too powerful that even Skull Knight decided to take it off.

Moonkid

I'm not a fan of the beast breaking free to be honest, at least in the foreseeable future Guts is too stable for that to happen. It'd feel like a plot contrivance rather than the inevitability it's been framed as.

LaneDS

I'm not a fan of the beast breaking free to be honest, at least in the foreseeable future Guts is too stable for that to happen. It'd feel like a plot contrivance rather than the inevitability it's been framed as.

If things don't go well with Casca, that'd be about the only thing that could really unnerve him to such a degree I'd think (or y'know, meeting Griffith again).

Moonkid

If things don't go well with Casca, that'd be about the only thing that could really unnerve him to such a degree I'd think (or y'know, meeting Griffith again).
Hm, didn't think of that. Certainly could be a catalyst for him to go... berserk 😐

Skittles

The day i finally caught up on my re-read a new chapter comes out. The next 2 chapters will literally dictate the tone/flow for the rest of the story

HStallion

The day i finally caught up on my re-read a new chapter comes out. The next 2 chapters will literally dictate the tone/flow for the rest of the story

I do wonder if we will get Miura's version of the time skip since time apparently flows differently on the island.

the whole time I figured Puck was just fucking with Farnese's bro, that was most I've ever been entertained by Puck.

when they get off the island they'll find Griffith has taken over half the world and technology has progressed to sci fi cyberpunk levels

like that other series timeskip which would be a spoiler if I said the name of it

Magi

Skittles

I do wonder if we will get Miura's version of the time skip since time apparently flows differently on the island.
I think anytime more than 6 months would be bad.

My favorite thing to do when reading through a long running manga is to catch up and then go back to the first few chapters to see how much artistically the artist has improved. Miura has improved a metric fuck ton

HStallion

For anyone interested, this is a translation of the conversation between Tetsuo Hara and Kentaro Miura after they agreed to draw each other's main character from their mangas. Its not the whole thing and there are more parts coming but its still interesting to get some more info from Miura who comes off as pretty intensely private.

http://www.manga-audition.com/zenon201610-haraxmiura/

Mr. Miura says “If I continue to age like this, I have a bad feeling that my pleasure could turn to pain. But I want to continue drawing until I’m 90 years old! I want to devote myself to my creations!”

I hope he treats himself better than Togashi did.

Oh and on anime adaptations...

The “Fist of the North Star” anime became massively popular around the world. However, when seeing the anime adaptation for the first time, Hara-sensei lamented the lack of details in the animated characters. Since the original manga had so much detail, the simplified depictions in the anime come across as somewhat lacking. Miura sensei reacts by saying “it’s a kind of tragedy that can happen only to a talented artist”.

Oh and on anime adaptations...

Like Berserk, Hokuto no Ken manga is infinitely superior to its anime counter part, The anime didn't age well and it was pretty rough at the beginning; while it gets better animation-wise later on, it was still very inconsistent, Kenshiro had like 8 different styles during the whole run of the anime.

HStallion

Like Berserk, Hokuto no Ken manga is infinitely superior to its anime counter part, The anime didn't age well and it was pretty rough at the beginning; while it gets better animation-wise later on, it was still very inconsistent, Kenshiro had like 8 different styles during the whole run of the anime.

Oh I'm aware, I've read the entire series and watched the anime and its many sequels and prequels and what not. I do wonder what Miura's opinion of the new series is. Maybe we'll get a conversation between Togashi and Miura a few years down the line that brings it up during their conversation about Dragon Quest Vs Idol Master and who sucks more, Ging or Griffith?

Hokuto no Ken anime at least resembles the tone of the manga.

PS : Miura's Nobunaga is fucking beautiful. Those eyebrows/eyes/jaw combo. Not fair.

Top Bottom