• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

g99l4Pn.jpg
These going to be on Amazon?

Capra

Is Berserk the new Amiibo?

I'm excited to finally jump into the series, but I feel like I'm going to have to buy every volume at once if I want to be able to actually read them in a legal format before they go out of print and it's years before Dark Horse responds again.

mstevens

I really want to get into this, but I just can't do black and white. Hurts my eyes for some reason.

I would do anything for large, color, volume editions.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I really want to get into this, but I just can't do black and white. Hurts my eyes for some reason.

I don't think we'll ever see color versions but I'd love a larger edition even something wtih a nice hard cover.

Mumei

Berserk should be published in a larger edition (A4! A4! A4!), but color is not a good idea. Berserk's art was not conceptualized with the idea that it would one day be put into color. It is complete as is— sticking color on top of the existing line work would be hiding the art. If you look at JH William III's line art on Batwoman before it was inked and after:

And then you look at Berserk's black and white art:

I think you can see how in the former case, the black and white art was clearly designed with the idea that it would later be completed by digital inking, whereas the Berserk pages were designed with the expectation that they would be complete in black and white.

In unrelated news colorists don't get nearly enough credit for their contributions.

Veelk

Banned
I recently read most of digitally colored One Piece. That was also intended to be read in B/W but I preferred it in color. The only real weakness, though it is a large one, is that they had no idea what to do with backgrounds. An empty background on a B/W page isn't noticable, but it is on colored page.

I know the level of detail is also a factor, which would make it much harder to get it right.

Still.

This isn't perfect(Why'd they make the cape brown?!), but I certainly wouldn't say no to the option of having it color. Worst case scenerio, I just don't bother reading the colored version the same way I don't bother watching the 2016 anime.

Mumei

I recently read most of digitally colored One Piece. That was also intended to be read in B/W but I preferred it in color. The only real weakness, though it is a large one, is that they had no idea what to do with backgrounds. An empty background on a B/W page isn't noticable, but it is on colored page.

I know the level of detail is also a factor, which would make it much harder to get it right.

Still.

This isn't perfect(Why'd they make the cape brown?!), but I certainly wouldn't say no to the option of having it color. Worst case scenerio, I just don't bother reading the colored version the same way I don't bother watching the 2016 anime.

I wasn't saying that it is impossible; I was only saying that it wasn't done with that in mind. And no matter how you do it, I think you lose more than you gain by covering up the the details of the original lines and shading.

And they probably made the cape brown because they didn't know how to make it black and keep the details.

I actually do like color One Piece pages. It might just be because the art is just more amenable to being colored, though I haven't read OP in quite a few years now.

I actually think B&W just fits the tone, atmosphere and mood of Berserk better than color.
I agree, but I think I enjoy b&w more than color. Sometimes Jojo in color is nice, but I'd just prefer to read manga as it was originally made. Also, I like that the walking dead comics are in black and white.

I agree, but I think I enjoy b&w more than color. Sometimes Jojo in color is nice, but I'd just prefer to read manga as it was originally made. Also, I like that the walking dead comics are in black and white.
I actually wouldn't mind reading Jojo in color though. That shit's so fabulous that it makes sense, though the no canon colors would probably drive me crazy.

Only thing is they look nice but the colors fuck with my head a bit. I always imagine Grunbeld being gold and Zodd being red for example. I always thought the behelit sword was red as well.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Berserk in colour can look amazing:

Eh I don't know, except for the covers etc. from Miura, it looks off with colors.

Only thing is they look nice but the colors fuck with my head a bit. I always imagine Grunbeld being gold and Zodd being red for example. I always thought the behelit sword was red as well.

Zodd's fur is actually black.

latest

I guess cause he reminds me of the Final Fantasy summon Ifrit so much I make him red in my head.
Nah, it's probably due to the 90's anime.

1441940430-2f6b7e4d912dcfd4a90650556aa801a0.jpeg

He kinda looks like Ifrit :p

So, I just checked my mailbox and both of my Guide Books arrived!

If you can still actually find one, I'd highly recommend it! The first thing I noticed was that it's the same size as a volume. I thought for sure it was going to be A4 in size. It's got some gorgeous art in colour, lots of character profiles, general information, an interview with Miura, photos of his office, some character sketches and the preview for an upcoming chapter. But yeah, even though I can't understand like 95% of it apart from the character names, height, weight and age, the plentiful pictures make up for it. I can see a lot of really great info coming from this when someone translates it, especially the lengthy interview with Miura!

So, I just checked my mailbox and both of my Guide Books arrived!

If you can still actually find one, I'd highly recommend it! The first thing I noticed was that it's the same size as a volume. I thought for sure it was going to be A4 in size. It's got some gorgeous art in colour, lots of character profiles, general information, an interview with Miura, photos of his office, some character sketches and the preview for an upcoming chapter. But yeah, even though I can't understand like 95% of it apart from the character names, height, weight and age, the plentiful pictures make up for it. I can see a lot of really great info coming from this when someone translates it, especially the lengthy interview with Miura!
Is it like a limited print run? You make it sound like it won't be around long. Regardless, I bought it and Ash Crow through Amazon Japan. Shipping was rather high, but it would be if I bought it somewhere else too.

HStallion

I'll say it again. If you want to get into Berserk but can't afford or can't find copies of a bunch of volumes try hitting up your local library. The one near me doesn't have the manga itself but its in the Library Network and they have volumes up to the mid 20's. Seriously try your local library out if all else fails.

I'll say it again. If you want to get into Berserk but can't afford or can't find copies of a bunch of volumes try hitting up your local library. The one near me doesn't have the manga itself but its in the Library Network and they have volumes up to the mid 20's. Seriously try your local library out if all else fails.
I've read all of it already, but I think I just want to own this.

I'm looking online on Amazon and some of Berserk is really affordable and others are like bat shit expensive.

I was fortunate to buy them all together from Amazon and the average price was around £10. Thought I might have been rash but seems I dodged a bullet with stock being harder to find. Think I might have vagabond problem with stock however.

I was fortunate to buy them all together from Amazon and the average price was around £10. Thought I might have been rash but seems I dodged a bullet with stock being harder to find. Think I might have vagabond problem with stock however.
Yeah I don't exactly have the most legal versions of this and I respect this enough to actually just want to own the physical versions of this. Are the dark horse reprints the most expensive ones?

Japan has this crazy volume 1 to 38 compilation why the fuck can't we have something like this here? Why do I have to go hunting instead of buying every freaking thing that's been published at once in a huge Tankōbon/hard case-like thing?

HStallion

Japan has this crazy volume 1 to 38 compilation why the fuck can't we have something like this here? Why do I have to go hunting instead of buying every freaking thing that's been published at once in a huge Tankōbon/hard case-like thing?

Ask Dark Horse. Not sure exactly what they're doing with Berserk.

What are you talking about?

I meant, I can get all the volumes easily together (compiled instead compilation?) from the same place very easy, places like CD Japan sells them all together, no need to go on this treasure hunt picking one volume from here other from there, buying another volume used because it doesn't exist anymore etc, that's what I meant.
My second part the post meant that I wished all the volumes where sold together as a takubon/compilation in the west (even when that doesn't exist perse in Japan either)

That's what I meant Mr. Erigu, I hope I was clear enough for you this time.

Is it like a limited print run? You make it sound like it won't be around long. Regardless, I bought it and Ash Crow through Amazon Japan. Shipping was rather high, but it would be if I bought it somewhere else too.

From what some other people have said I got the impression that the Guide Book was a limited print run and that once they were all sold out you wouldn't be able to get them anymore, but I guess that might not be the case? And yeah, I paid a lot for the shipping as well. In fact it was even more than both of the Guide Books I bought! -_-

Grudy

The Berserker armor activating at the beach battle (volume 28) was the coolest thing I've ever seen. I also felt a bit dumb that I didn't make the connection before of the four kings from Dark Souls to the ones Shierke summons.

Not really feeling the current arc so far. The whole troll village thing kinda soured me on it but went back to crazy good after Guts got the armor. I'm sure this all is leading towards something but it feels a bit aimless so far.

HStallion

Rolling Stone/Glixel did an interview with Hidetaka Miyazaki of From Software and the Souls games series. They asked him about his reading habits and no surprise from his answer.

You tell me you're a bookworm. What kind of books would I find on your shelf if I were to look right now?

First, you'd spot the manga shelf, with Devilman and Berserk lining the top. The neighboring bookshelf is packed with tabletop role-playing game rulebooks, with RuneQuest prominently displayed, alongside the board game Dragon Pass. A shelf is packed with novels – old classics of fantasy and science fiction, alongside George R. R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice and Fevre Dream. A small library of game books shares the same shelf. At the top is Sorcery! and accompanying guides Titan and Out of the Pit. Finally, you'd find various art and reference books, including work by Umberto Eco and McNeill, and Colin Wilson's The Occult.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/dark-souls-creator-miyazaki-on-zelda-sequels-w443435

HStallion

How much Devil Man is in the Souls series and is it worth watching?

Devil Man is one of Miura's biggest influences for Berserk. You can see some big parallels in the relationship of the two main characters and Griffith and Guts. Even the monster designs are similar with a lot of monsters with human faces where you wouldn't expect them.

Devil Man is one of Miura's biggest influences for Berserk. You can see some big parallels in the relationship of the two main characters and Griffith and Guts. Even the monster designs are similar with a lot of monsters with human faces where you wouldn't expect them.
I'm intrigued. Does Devil Man have monsters with dicks where their nipples should be?

mstevens

Thanks. I finished the first chapter and liked it. I'm trying to get accustomed to the layout. I take it that you read right to left, top to bottom? I'm probably going to go back and reread it with more of a focus on the pictures... they're s so detailed!

How much of the series is translated and easily obtainable from amazon?

Honestly, what convinced me was it being a supposed source of inspiration for Dark Souls.

Top Bottom